The Wasteland... areas beyond the city

+
Wastelands look boring. Fallout did it before.

City looks boring. Deus Ex, ( all of them), Syndicate, Neuromancer, (CRPG), Shadowrun ( old and new versions), Anachronox, Hard Reset, EYE, Omikron, Watch Dogs, Matrix Online did it before.

See how easy that is? And utterly non-constructive?

Fallout isn't a Cyberpunk game either. A Cyberpunk wasteland isn't the same as a post-apoc wasteland. For one thing, the Corporations are very active out there, in hidden and not-so-hidden instalations. For another, people have a Future - an arguably better one than the City dwellers.

For another, the Wasteland is a big part of Cyberpunk 2020 - starting in the Combat Zones and working outwards.

neuromancer? the text adventure game? Syndicate? Omikron. C'mon. These games have been published more then 20 years ago. Fallout and Elder's scrolls are THE most current competitors of CP2077. They are the yardsticks CP2077 will invariably be compared to.

Also why split. Better one big dynamic city then one small city and a de facto so-so driving game.if you want to play the "well, it has to respect the source material" card, then CP2077 should also respect the genre from which it gets its namesake. You can't have it both ways. To get a proper cyberpunk setting, you need a great and expensive city which video games aren't really providing at the moment.

If you think that Gwent is going to take away ressources, how about the wastelands?

Last edited:
To get a proper cyberpunk setting, you need a great and expensive city which video games aren't really providing at the moment.

If you think that Gwent is going to take away ressources, how about the wastelands?

The point was that Cyberpunk-only-in-the-city is a cliche and that many of us who are older than 20 years have played a lot of those games. I was pulling examples from the genre, not just any video game. Ctiy-as-main-setting for a video game is very, very common, as you know.

I don't see Fallout and Elder Scrolls as the current competitors - nor would it be really relevant if they were. Other than as a source of inspiration, other games are unlikely to affect 2077. I doubt they will cut into CP2077 sales numbers.

Current example would be Deus Ex, which you didn't mention, because it's quite relevant to my point, perhaps. Or Watch Dogs. City-centric in the extreme.

The genre from which Cyberpunk springs absolutely includes desolate stretches and non-City stretches. This genre is larger than Blade Runner and for 2020 specifically includes the inspiration of Mad Max.

To get a proper Cyberpunk 2020 setting, you need a contrast. Quite a lot of contrasts. That's not a waste of resources, that's the proper useage of resources.

Contrast is nice et al.

IF they can pull both off great. But consider that no one has pulled off both successfully in games.Whiterun and Vivee were villages and not truly cities. Without great expenses, a wasteland is not really a wasteland.

Mad Max is not cyberpunk, by any stretch of the imagination.

Contrast is nice et al.

IF they can pull both off great. But consider that no one has pulled off both successfully in games.Whiterun and Vivee were villages and not truly cities. Without great expenses, a wasteland is not really a wasteland.

Mad Max is not cyberpunk, by any stretch of the imagination.

Well, of course if they can pull it off. If they have to cut the Wastelands to keep a viable, exciting large City, I have no problem with that.

Mad Max was an inspiration for Cyberpunk 2020, along with things like Escape from New York. It's really the gritty, dirty, edgy feel of those movies that counts.

The -latest- Mad Max has cyberware and punks. Soo...you know...teccccchhhhhnically...

The waste land and nomads are very much part of the Cyberpunk Universe, not everything takes place in the city. Not showing what exists outside the city would do the setting, and the game itself, a grave disservice.

I'm not disputing that but this is not every cyberpunk novel ever written, it's one game. I'm talking about how games that dont focus and try to do too much almost always end up mediocre at best.

Well, of course if they can pull it off. If they have to cut the Wastelands to keep a viable, exciting large City, I have no problem with that.

If this is just gonna be tagged on they might as well release this as a DLC at a later date. They could probably do it way more justice that way.

I'm not disputing that but this is not every cyberpunk novel ever written, it's one game. I'm talking about how games that dont focus and try to do too much almost always end up mediocre at best.

Um.... and I am not talking about cyberpunk novels.

I am talking about the Tabletop RPG, Cyberpunk 2020, that this game is directly based off of.

Perhaps you would enjoy actually familiarizing yourself with the property this game is based off of, it would not only educate you towards the game, but give you a better idea of what to expect.

A uhhh... A what?

I'm just here for the parties...

and the shooting, bludgeoning, slicing, cybernetic mayhem and crazy sex.

But mostly for the parties...

and sex.

I know nothing about Cyberpunk 2020 or 2077 other than that they are Cyberpunk.

Wasteland? Been there, done that in other settings. What's so different here anyways?

and you're missing my point.

He didn't say that outright, and politeness counts.

Also, it's good advice. The Cyberpunk 2020 world is distinct from other games and settings, with firm, thought-out and ( to CDPR) attractive themes and places. For a reason.

That said, since Sex's primary point was "don't disperse your game world and ideas" and I agree, it's really a question of how important the Wasteland is to Cyberpunk 2020 and 2077.

I think it is, as contrast. But opinions vary.

I know nothing about Cyberpunk 2020 or 2077 other than that they are Cyberpunk.

Wasteland? Been there, done that in other settings. What's so different here anyways?

What's different is the "attitude".
In Wasteland type games (assuming you're not playing them as simple kill-and-loot everything shooters - in which case the game/story "attitude" is irrelevant) civilization has broken down for some reason and you're a survivor scavenging thru the remains find your next meal or more ammunition.

In Cyberpunk civilization is most definitely (non)functional but you as a character disagree, for whatever reason, with the "establishment" and are attempting to do things it resists/prohibits. And if you're too obvious about it the full weight of the "establishment" will land squarely on your head!

This is where I come into conflict with many of the people on this forum.
They feel they should be able to do anything they want in the game and the game should never react in such as way that their character is dead, dead, dead (or locked away somewhere for life with no hope of escape). I feel you should have to run the edge between getting what you want, by whatever means, and attracting too much attention from the "establishment".

This is where I come into conflict with many of the people on this forum.
They feel they should be able to do anything they want in the game and the game should never react in such as way that their character is dead, dead, dead (or locked away somewhere for life with no hope of escape). I feel you should have to run the edge between getting what you want, by whatever means, and attracting too much attention from the "establishment".

Mm. On the one hand, I feel "Freedom! Open World! Yaay!" is fun and fine.

On the other, I goddamn LOVE CP2020 and that ( the above) has NEVER been true. Never. Ne-var.

CP2020 is about trying to do the right thing - or the selfish thing that is right for you - and stay alive. Preferably proftiing. While not getting mashed by the World.

So it's very much not consequence free - and harsh consequences.

The Wasteland is another arena for that to take place -a dn sometimes a solution to those City-borne consequences.

But it is not some Skyrim or even Witcher 3 Freedom Zone.

And I think Cyberpunk setting should take precedence over the idea of Open World Freedom. Everywhere.

Top Bottom