The White Frost

+

vladgiurgiubv

The White Frost (my take on it) SPOILER

I always thought the White Frost was a reference to the heat death of the universe.

More about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

Climate change is not a resonable interpretation for the white frost, because e.g. the earth went through lots of ice ages and drastic climate changes and life still found a way. The white frost renders the universe sterile and barren for all eternity, exactly like the heat death of the universe.

I´m just curious how others interpret it.

(sidenote) I didn´t really understand if Ciri stopped the white frost forever at the end. (she becomes empress ending)

What do you think?

@ Guest, I'm a bit surprised this topic hasn't come up more often. It was raised in this thread a while back, but received only limited comments. Threads merged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Climate change is not a resonable interpretation for the white frost, because e.g. the earth went through lots of ice ages and drastic climate changes and life still found a way. The white frost renders the universe sterile and barren for all eternity, exactly like the heat death of the universe.

Complete version of the above in text format (I wonder if those coordinates mean anything, or if they are just randomly chosen numbers):

The White Frost

A study of the White Frost, by Vilgefortz of Roggeveen.

One can hear Ithlinne's Prophecy whispered at every market, garbled and reused by every village witch, delved into in any treatise touching on sooths and diviners and in general saturating our common culture. We all know that "the time of the Wolf's Blizzard approaches, the Time of the White Frost" and that "the world will perish amidst ice." But few truly understand the meaning of these words.

The self-proclaimed prophets who shout out Ithlinne's words mistake stars reflected in a still pond for the sky. For the White Frost is no legend or mythical apocalypse. It is a natural phenomenon that can be described in the dry yet precise language of scholarship.

The renowned scholar of Thorn's studies have clearly shown that our world is not the center of the universe, but one of a thousand such globes spinning in the endless darkness of space. This space is usually described as a vacuum - yet to do so is grossly misleading, for through this "vacuum" swims, invisible to the naked eye, the White Frost.

We do not know exactly what the White Frost is - perhaps a microscopic dust that blocks the incoming light of the sun? Perhaps infinitesimal particles of the sort postulated by Democritus of Ban Ard, with the unusual property of sucking up warmth as a sponge does water?

We know for a certainty however, that, thanks to the telescopic observations of elven astronomers, the White Frost, whatever it is, has already destroyed a great many worlds. The star systems in which it appears perish into lifeless hunks of ice over the course of a few decades. Furthermore, each scholar is agreed that the White Frost will one day come to our world. Ithlinne's Prophecy, though based on magic intuition and not scientific observation, thus appears to foretell the truth.

Many mages are skeptical about the theses presented here. I recommend they carry out the same experiment I have conducted in my own laboratory. Using the spell Portus Asterum, open a microscopic portal for three and a half seconds to the coordinates 03 31 48 90, 89 27 09 34. Yet before you do, dress in your warmest furs and ready an axe for breaking through thick ice.

(sidenote) I didn´t really understand if Ciri stopped the white frost forever at the end. (she becomes empress ending)

In the books it is stated that Ciri never stopped the White Frost. Though admittedly, with the sudden change of an ice age into a mystical enemy, it's a bit of a stretch to compare the books lore and the games lore.
As for the ice age, it's mentioned in the books that 90% of the dry lands in the world of The Witcher is located in the northern emisphere, thus making an Ice Age potentially more devastating than they were in the past on our planet.

In the books it is stated that Ciri never stopped the White Frost.

That is, assuming one considers the books' future to even matter in the games. Not sure what CDPR's position is on that. One could reasonably say that everything that happens in the books after the beginning of TW1 is "non-canon" to the games, since the stories have branched and diverged from that point on. They only share a common past. Not to mention, if future events in books did matter in the games, then a hypothetical new book in the same time frame would very likely "break" the games.

I always thought the White Frost was a reference to the heat death of the universe.

More about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe

I´m just curious how others interpret it.

What do you think?

That refers to a state where all stars in the Universe have died. It's the final stage of the life of the Universe under current thinking. A process that will take billions of years. Furthermore, any dying star would expand so it wouldn't be so much a 'White Frost' as a 'Red Heat' as the planet's atmosphere and then crust is boiled away as the planet dies in a fiery death. So that interpretation doesn't fit either.

I don't think the author put much thought in to what the White Frost is, beyond being there for dramatic literary effect. But if one does want to put an interpretation on it, I would say it's the natural ice age - natural climate change - that best fits.

I've read all the books, and I don't recall them exactly stating how far Nimue and Condwiramurs were in the future. In their time, the White Frost was supposedly approaching, but had not yet hit in full force. Now the books go into detail on how, by Nimue's time, a lot of knowledge about Geralt's and Ciri's time has been lost. Emhyr tells Geralt in 'Lady of the Lake' that he alone knows the text of Ithlinne's prophecy after Vilgefortz showed it to him, but I don't believe the exact text is ever given in the book, other than presumably it had something to do with Ciri.

In CD Projekt Red's game tie-in book 'The World of the Witcher', Dandelion outright says that the prophecy states that Ciri will stop the White Frost. Strictly speaking, this isn't a contradiction because the exact text of the prophecy isn't given in the books. Although it's not explained how Dandelion supposedly comes by the text by the time of the games, if supposedly only Emhyr knows it. Unless he told other people of its contents by the time of the games.

So it seems to me that what we have is 1. In the books, a prophecy regarding Ciri that is never outright explained, and a future Nimue lives in where the White Frost seems to be approaching but has not yet wiped out all life, and 2. The games, where Dandelion in 'The World of the Witcher' guidebook claims that the prophecy outright states Ciri stops the White Frost, and the ending of The Witcher 3 game where Ciri puts on a light show and then claims that she has stopped the White Frost.

My first guess, if CDPR wants to go down a Witcher 4 route, is that Avallac'h has clearly tricked Ciri into thinking she's stopping the White Frost while he's using her power for his own ends without her knowledge. This ties in to Eredin's last words after Geralt defeats him.

However, if this is the end of the whole storyline involving Ciri, then my guess is that Ciri did indeed stop the White Frost, but knowledge of this was lost by the time of Nimue. The cooling weather in Nimue's time is the result of some other phenomenon that Nimue mistakes as the White Frost due to the gaps in historical knowledge--perhaps this cooling weather eventually ceases later on and Nimue realizes it was not the White Frost after all.

In the books, a prophecy regarding Ciri that is never outright explained, and a future Nimue lives in where the White Frost seems to be approaching but has not yet wiped out all life, and

Ithiline's Prophesy is in Blood of the Elves.

Verily I say unto you, the era of the sword and axe is nigh, the era of the wolf's blizzard. The Time of the White Chill and the White Light is nigh, the Time of Madness and the Time of Contempt: Tedd Deireádh, the Time of End. The world will die amidst frost and be reborn with the new sun. It will be reborn of Elder Blood, of Hen Ichaer, of the seed that has been sown. A seed which will not sprout but burst into flame.

Ess'tuath esse! Thus it shall be! Watch for the signs! What signs these shall be, I say unto you: first the earth will flow with the blood of Aen Seidhe, the Blood of Elves...

Avallach explains it in Lady of the Lake (assuming you trust him)

She found Avallac’h on a terrace by the river, just about to board a boat in the company of a beautiful elf with hair the colour of straw. The elf’s lips were painted a pistachio colour and her eyelids and temples were painted with gold. Ciri was about to turn around and leave when a gesture from Avallac’h restrained her. With another gesture he invited her onto the boat. She hesitated. She did not want to talk in front of witnesses. Avallac’h said a few quiet words to the elf and kissed her hand. The elf shrugged and walked away. Only once did she glance at Ciri and her eyes show exactly what she thought of her.

‘If you can, refrain from comment,’ said Avallac’h as she sat on a bench in the bow. He sat down across from her, pulled out his flute and began to play, ignoring the boat completely.. Ciri watched anxiously., but the boat slid perfectly into the middle of the river, without deviating an inch. The boat was very strange, Ciri had never seen anything like it, even in Skellige where one could see everything that could move through water. It had a high bow carved into the shape of a key, was very narrow and very shaky. Indeed, only an elf could sit in something like this and play carefree on a flute, instead of rowing and steering.Avallac’h stopped playing.

‘What is it that troubles you?’He listened to Ciri’s story with a vague smile.

‘You’re disappointed,’ he did not ask. ‘Disappointed and disillusioned and above all outraged.’

‘Not at all! I’m not!’

‘You should not be,’ the elf became serious. ‘Auberon treated you with reverence, as a native Aen Elle. Do not forget, we, the People of the Alders, do not ever hurry. We have time.’

‘He told me something else.’

‘I know what he said.’

‘What he wanted, well, you know?’

‘Certainly.’

She had learned a lot. She did not sigh nor gave a hint of impatience or irritability when he put the flute to his lips and started playing again. Melodic and wistful. The boat sailed and bridges passed overhead.

‘We have very serious reasons for believing,’ he said after the fourth bridge had passed, ‘that your world is in danger of disappearing. In a natural disaster no a massive scale. You do have some elementary education, so you must have heard of the Aen Ithlinnespeath – the Ithlinne’s Prophecy. She speaks of the time of the White winter. In our opinion, it will be a powerful ice age. It will be so extensive that it threatens the existence of most living creatures. They will simply die from the cold. Those who survive will fall into barbarism, killing each other in ruthless battles for food, they will become prey to predators mad with hunger. Remember the text from the prophecy – The time of contempt, the Axe and the Wolf’s Blizzard.’

Ciri did not interrupt him, afraid that he would start playing the flute again.

‘The child, on which so much depends,’ said Avallac’h as he played with his flute, ‘will be a descendant of Lara Dorren and a carrier of the gene, a gene that was specially built by us, it may save the inhabitants of your world. We have reason to think that the descenadant of Lara and your child, of course, will have abilities a thousand times more powerful than those we have, the Knowing ones. The same as you yourself possess. Do you know what I mean?’

Ciri had learned that in the Elder Speech such rhetorical figures, although seemingly questions, do not require an answer, but simply prohibit a response.

‘In short,’ continued Avallac’h, ‘we will have the opportunity to travel between the worlds, and not for only a single person. We want to open Ard Gaeth – The Great Gate, which all will pass through. We could do this before the Conjunction, and we will achieve it now. We will evacuate the dying world and the Aen Seidhe who live there, our brothers, whom we are obliged to help. We do not neglect such a responsibility. We will take all of the world’s endangered, Zireael. Everyone, even the humans.’

‘Really?’ Ciri couldn’t contain herself. ‘Even the Dh’oine?’

‘Yes. Trust me. Do you now see how important you are, how we care about you? It is imperative that you be patient. It is important that you return to Auberon and spend the night with him. Believe me, his behaviour has not been a sign of reluctance. He knows, that for you this is not easy and does not wish to be inappropriately hasty. He knows many things, Swallow. You may have no doubt noticed.’

‘Yes, I’ve noticed,’ she snorted. ‘I’ve also noticed that the current has bore us quite far from Tir Na Lia. Time to take the oars. Which, moreover, I do not see here.’

‘Because they are not here,’ Avallac’h raised his arm, turned his hand and snapped his fingers. The boat stopped. It stood in place, then began to move against the current.

The elf sat comfortably, put his flute to his lips and completely devoted himself to music.

I didn't mind them including the White Frost in the game, it just should have been more consistent with our understanding from the books. I head canon it that Avallach's understanding of the White Frost has expanded and he has learned how to stop it. That's as good as I can do.

vladgiurgiubv

I guess a natural ice age is actually a better interpretation than the heat death of the universe. Altough I think you are right, the author didn´t put much thought in what the White Frost actually is.

Ithiline's Prophesy is in Blood of the Elves.

Avallach explains it in Lady of the Lake (assuming you trust him)

She found Avallac’h on a terrace by the river, just about to board a boat in the company of a beautiful elf with hair the colour of straw. The elf’s lips were painted a pistachio colour and her eyelids and temples were painted with gold. Ciri was about to turn around and leave when a gesture from Avallac’h restrained her. With another gesture he invited her onto the boat. She hesitated. She did not want to talk in front of witnesses. Avallac’h said a few quiet words to the elf and kissed her hand. The elf shrugged and walked away. Only once did she glance at Ciri and her eyes show exactly what she thought of her.

‘If you can, refrain from comment,’ said Avallac’h as she sat on a bench in the bow. He sat down across from her, pulled out his flute and began to play, ignoring the boat completely.. Ciri watched anxiously., but the boat slid perfectly into the middle of the river, without deviating an inch. The boat was very strange, Ciri had never seen anything like it, even in Skellige where one could see everything that could move through water. It had a high bow carved into the shape of a key, was very narrow and very shaky. Indeed, only an elf could sit in something like this and play carefree on a flute, instead of rowing and steering.Avallac’h stopped playing.

‘What is it that troubles you?’He listened to Ciri’s story with a vague smile.

‘You’re disappointed,’ he did not ask. ‘Disappointed and disillusioned and above all outraged.’

‘Not at all! I’m not!’

‘You should not be,’ the elf became serious. ‘Auberon treated you with reverence, as a native Aen Elle. Do not forget, we, the People of the Alders, do not ever hurry. We have time.’

‘He told me something else.’

‘I know what he said.’

‘What he wanted, well, you know?’

‘Certainly.’

She had learned a lot. She did not sigh nor gave a hint of impatience or irritability when he put the flute to his lips and started playing again. Melodic and wistful. The boat sailed and bridges passed overhead.

‘We have very serious reasons for believing,’ he said after the fourth bridge had passed, ‘that your world is in danger of disappearing. In a natural disaster no a massive scale. You do have some elementary education, so you must have heard of the Aen Ithlinnespeath – the Ithlinne’s Prophecy. She speaks of the time of the White winter. In our opinion, it will be a powerful ice age. It will be so extensive that it threatens the existence of most living creatures. They will simply die from the cold. Those who survive will fall into barbarism, killing each other in ruthless battles for food, they will become prey to predators mad with hunger. Remember the text from the prophecy – The time of contempt, the Axe and the Wolf’s Blizzard.’

Ciri did not interrupt him, afraid that he would start playing the flute again.

‘The child, on which so much depends,’ said Avallac’h as he played with his flute, ‘will be a descendant of Lara Dorren and a carrier of the gene, a gene that was specially built by us, it may save the inhabitants of your world. We have reason to think that the descenadant of Lara and your child, of course, will have abilities a thousand times more powerful than those we have, the Knowing ones. The same as you yourself possess. Do you know what I mean?’

Ciri had learned that in the Elder Speech such rhetorical figures, although seemingly questions, do not require an answer, but simply prohibit a response.

‘In short,’ continued Avallac’h, ‘we will have the opportunity to travel between the worlds, and not for only a single person. We want to open Ard Gaeth – The Great Gate, which all will pass through. We could do this before the Conjunction, and we will achieve it now. We will evacuate the dying world and the Aen Seidhe who live there, our brothers, whom we are obliged to help. We do not neglect such a responsibility. We will take all of the world’s endangered, Zireael. Everyone, even the humans.’

‘Really?’ Ciri couldn’t contain herself. ‘Even the Dh’oine?’

‘Yes. Trust me. Do you now see how important you are, how we care about you? It is imperative that you be patient. It is important that you return to Auberon and spend the night with him. Believe me, his behaviour has not been a sign of reluctance. He knows, that for you this is not easy and does not wish to be inappropriately hasty. He knows many things, Swallow. You may have no doubt noticed.’

‘Yes, I’ve noticed,’ she snorted. ‘I’ve also noticed that the current has bore us quite far from Tir Na Lia. Time to take the oars. Which, moreover, I do not see here.’

‘Because they are not here,’ Avallac’h raised his arm, turned his hand and snapped his fingers. The boat stopped. It stood in place, then began to move against the current.

The elf sat comfortably, put his flute to his lips and completely devoted himself to music.

I didn't mind them including the White Frost in the game, it just should have been more consistent with our understanding from the books. I head canon it that Avallach's understanding of the White Frost has expanded and he has learned how to stop it. That's as good as I can do.
Oh, was that the entirety of the text shown in Blood of Elves? The way Emhyr spoke to Geralt implied there was more to it that demanded he marry Ciri right away, to Geralt's and the readers' disgust, and I didn't see anything in the Blood of Elves text that indicated that, so I assumed Emhyr and Vilgefortz knew more text that the readers didn’t.

The text in Blood of Elves talks about signs that will come, but only lists the first one before ending in '...' in the English translation, so it's almost definite that the text in Blood of Elves isn't complete.

Avallac'h was just making stuff up because he wanted Ciri's super-kid to open portals to worlds for his elves to conquer. If Avallac'h said, 'Ciri, you can go home and stop the White Frost right now,' that wouldn't have fit into his evil plots.

Last edited:
Avallac'h was just making stuff up because he wanted Ciri's super-kid to open portals to worlds for his elves to conquer. If Avallac'h said, 'Ciri, you can go home and stop the White Frost right now,' that wouldn't have fit into his evil plots.

Well here he seems to be having a similar conversation with Geralt:

‘I want it to survive,’ Avallac’h made a broad gesture. ‘Even when we leave and the entire land is covered by a mile high layer of ice and snow, Tir na Bea Arainne will endure. We will leave here, but someday we will return here. We, the elves. It is promised in the Aen Ithlinnespeath, in Ithlinne Aegli aep Aevenien’s prophecy.’

‘You really believe in her? In her prophecy? Does you fatalism run so deep?’

‘Everything was foretold,’ the elf did not look at him, but at a marble column covered in a delicate gossamer relief, ‘Your arrival, war, the shedding of human and elven blood. The rise of your race, the decline of ours. The struggle between the rulers of the North and the South. The Ruler of the South will rise against the kings of the North and his troops will fill their countries like a flood and the nations will be destroyed. So begins the destruction of the world. Do you remember the Aen Ithlinnespeath, witcher? Whoever is far away, will die from the plague – whoever is near, will die by the sword, whoever forbids, will die of hunger, whoever survives, will be lost in the cold… Because Tedd Deireadh comes – The End of Time, The Time of the Sword and Axe, The Time of Contempt, The Time of White Chill and the White Light, The Time of the Wolf’s Blizzard…’

‘Poetry.’

‘Would you prefer to hear it less poetic? As a result of the changes to the angle of the sun, the earth will shift the boundaries of eternal ice far to the south. Even these mountains will be overwhelmed by a continental glacier. Everything will be covered in snow. And winter will reign.’

‘We’ll wear warm pants,’ Geralt without emotion, ‘fur coats and hats over our ears.’

‘You took the word right out of my mouth,’ said the elf. ‘And those in these pants and hats will survive and would one day return here, to dig holes and rummage in the cave to plunder and steal. The prophecy of Ithlinne does not mention it, but I know it. You cannot exterminate cockroaches and humans will always have at least one prolific pair. As for us, the elves, the prophecy speaks clearly, those who follow the Swallow will survive. The Swallow is a symbol of spring, it is the saviour, the one that opens the forbidden door, to show us the way to our salvation. It will allow the rebirth of the world. The Swallow, the Child of the Elder Blood.’

‘That means Ciri,’ Geralt could not resist. ‘Or her child? How? And why?’

It seemed that Avallac’h had not heard.

The way Emhyr spoke to Geralt implied there was more to it that demanded he marry Ciri right away, to Geralt's and the readers' disgust, and I didn't see anything in the Blood of Elves text that indicated that, so I assumed Emhyr and Vilgefortz knew more text that the readers didn’t.

I always just took it to mean that he believed Ciri was to be the mother of the child that conquers the North and save's the world.

‘Cirilla,’ Emhyr said ignoring the sarcasm, ‘is going to Nilfgaard. In due time she will become the Empress. Like dozens of girls who become queens, without previously knowing her husband. Often times it without a good concept of the first encounter with their husband. Often they are disappointed by the first few days... and nights of marriage. Cirilla is not the first.’

Geralt declined to comment.

‘Cirilla,’ continued the Emperor, ‘will be happy, like most of the queens I just spoke about. It will come with time. I will not demand love from her but will transfer it to the son that Cirilla will bear for me. Archduke and future Emperor. An Emperor, who will beget a son. A son who will be ruler of the world and who will save the world from destruction. So says the prophecy, whose precise content, only I know...’

The White Flame thought for a moment and continued.

‘It is clear that Cirilla must never know who I really am. The secret must die. Along with those who know it.’
‘Sure’ Geralt nodded. ‘It could not be clearer.’

‘You cannot help noticing,’ Emhyr said after a moment, ‘the hand of fate in everything that has happened. All of it. Also in your actions. From the very beginning.’
‘Rather, I see the hand of Vilgefortz. It was he who sent you to Cintra, right? When you were an enchanted hedgehog? It was he who made Pavetta...’

‘You are shooting in the dark,’ Emhyr interrupted abruptly, throwing his salamander cloak over his shoulder. ‘You don’t know anything. And you don’t need to know. I did not ask you here to relate the story of my life. Nor to explain myself to you. The only thing you deserve is to ensure that the girl will come to no harm. I do not have any debts to you, witcher. No...’

‘You!’ Geralt interrupted. ‘You broke a signed contract. You broke your word! You lied! These are your debts, Duny! You broke your oaths as a prince, and you have debts as an Emperor. With imperial interest. For ten years!’

‘Is that all?’

‘That’s it. Because that is all that is mine, nothing more. But no less! I had to introduce myself to collect the girl when she turned six. I waited on the agreed upon date, but you wanted to steal the child before that time. But the fates, of which you speak, have mocked you. During the next ten years you tired to fight destiny. Now it is your turn, you have Ciri, your own daughter, who you once shamefully deprived of parents and with whom you now want to shamelessly spawn incestuous offspring. You don’t ask for her love? Pah, you don’t have the right to her love! Between us, Duny, how can you look her in the eyes?’

‘The end justifies the means,’ the Emperor said flatly. ‘I do it for the future of the world. For its salvation.’

‘If you have to save the world like this,’ the witcher lifted his head, ‘this world would be better off disappearing. Believe me, Duny; it would be better to perish.’

‘You are weak,’ Emhyr var Emreis said gently. ‘Do not get excited, you look like you’re about to faint.’

He moved from the cabinet, pulled up a chair and sat down. The witcher’s head was indeed spinning.

‘The Iron Hedgehog,’ Emhyr var Emreis said calmly and quietly, ‘was a way of forcing my father to cooperate with the usurper to the throne. After the coup, my father, the Emperor was deposed, imprisoned and tortured. He did not break; however, because the usurping Duke devised something else – before his eyes, he had a hired sorcerer turn his only son into a monster. The sorcerer also had a sense of humour. In our language, Emhyr means hedgehog. My father did not break then, so he was killed. I was driven by mockery and insults to the forest and chased by dogs. Fortunately they did not pursue me too fiercely, because the sorcerer botched the job, and from midnight until dawn I returned to human form, it saved my life. I was just thirteen years old. I knew several people on whose fidelity I could rely on. But even so, I had to flee the country. A crackpot astrologer called Xarthisius had read in the stars that the cure to the spell could be found in the North, beyond the Marnadal Steps. Later, as the Emperor, I gave him in payment for his services a tower and good equipment. At that time he had to work with borrow equipment. As for what happened at Cintra, you already know, and I won’t waste your time. The truth is that Vilgefortz had nothing to do with it. First, I still didn’t know him. And second, I still felt a deep aversion to sorcerers. To this day, I still do not like them. Oh by the way, when I reclaimed the throne, I apprehended the sorcerer who had served the usurper and who had turned me into a monster in front of my father. I, too, showed a sense of humour. The sorcerer’s name was Braathens, which in our language is the same as the word “fried”. Well, enough digression, back to the subject at hand. After the birth of Ciri, Vilgefortz secretly visited me in Cintra. He introduced himself as a confidant of those who remained faithful to me in Nilfgaard. He offered me his help and soon demonstrated that he could help. When I asked incredulously the motives for his actions, he did not deny relying on my gratitude. His plans were to win wealth and power, which the future Emperor of Nilfgaard would provide him – me. A mighty ruler who would rule half the world and raise offspring, who would dominate the whole world. The wizard bluntly admitted that he wish to achieve a high position. The he pulled out a scroll tied with snakeskin and acquainted me with the content. So I knew of the prophecy, I learned about the future fate of the world and I realised what I must do. And I have come to believe that the end justifies the means.’

‘Of course.’

Emhyr simply wanted the savior of the world to be his heir. He wanted power and control over the situation directly. I suppose his motivations could have been more complicated than that, but that has always been my interpretation of it. I don't think he was implying any more than that. Also, you have to remember that everything Emhyr believes is based on what Vilgefortz told him and showed him. And Vilgefortz obviously had his own ends in mind. I sincerely doubt that the Emperor has the whole story either. Of all the accounts, I actually beleive Avallach's the most. Although I certainly agree that he has his own motivations.

I don't think that in the books the White Frost could be stopped. The best hope was to flee. In the game they changed it for some reason to actually stopping the White Frost.

The one thing that annoyed me with the game is why are the Wild Hunt associated with the white frost??

The part at Avallac'hs hideout with Keira when the Hunt are using the frost to take out the golems and block Geralt and Keira's path, or in Heatherton when they freeze the entire village, just the hunt in general having"frost powers" confused the hell out of me

The fact that the two share a rather chilly aura is indeed confusing. I consider this a weak point in the game's physical narrative, since it can quite easily mislead people to conflate the Wild Hunt with the White Frost (nor does it help that they both begin with 'W'), where, in fact, they're separate phenomena. I believe the frost which attends the Hunt is actually some result of their journey between worlds. However, the coincidence of weather is a symbolically flawed representation, as it makes the two 'antagonists' seem inherently united, when, in reality, the Hunt is merely another victim threatened by the Frost, and not a part of it.

Last edited:
Well they are separate in the game because after the Wild Hunt is defeated Ciri then goes off to confront the White Frost. I don't really think you can blame the game for confusing the two, considering how they are both associated with freezing and that concept comes from the books. I think where the game makes a mistake is including the White Frost at all. They easily could of just ended the game after you kill Eredin.

Personally the White Frost is such a small part of the ending and you really do nothing I just ignore it and pretend it was not even in the game. Now how they handle that in the next game may make it much harder to ignore but I have hope that they will do what I have done and just ignore it.

In the game, The white frost takes on characteristics of a some kind of chain reaction, seemingly emanating from that winter world.
In that case, the white frost might simply be some kind of ancient magical or scientific experiment gone wrong, kinda similar to a grey goo- or induced phase change scenario or an artificial black hole created in a lab that starts to grow.

Halting such a process would require tremendous energy. The elder blood.

Last edited:
I'll tell you where I come from. I am not a natural universal disaster. I came into existence in a battle between higher beings a very very long time ago. I was the ultimate weapon that went out of control. I destroyed everybody involved and their worlds too. I destroyed their whole reality as well. When the conjunction happened I slipped through and continued doing what I do best.

Some of the beings that created me escaped and have been running away from me ever since. Over time people had forgotten about me. Only a few passed down the knowledge of me. They have been trying to come up with a way to stop me ever since. The conjunction made them really really afraid of me because I had escaped the dimension I originated from.

Last edited:
Top Bottom