The Wild Hunt flying capabilites? [Spoiler]

+

Guest 3837211

The Wild Hunt flying capabilites?
Almost everywhere in the books and games the Wild Hunt is decribed as this: "The Wild Hunt can appear in the sky as a harbinger of war and other misfortunes" and "According to tradition and eye witness accounts, the Wild Hunt abducts people, forcing them to join its mad gallopade on the sky."
But in the Witcher 3 we never see the Wild Hunt roaming the sky. They are normal elves with normal "non-flying" horses. You could argue, that the can only fly in their spectre form, but this doesn't match either. As a specter you cannot abducted people and the flashback scene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsdIaG66r-M at 1:50 and 4:20) from the Witcher 2 shows them flying in the normal "non-spectre" form while taking Yennefer and Geralt.

Somehow this feels like a plot hole or am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
During the Isle of Mists when they come to get Ciri isn't their ship floating above the water?
It probably would look to awkward to do that in game correctly, and fighting flying Hunt warriors on horses? That would be an absolute nightmare. I guess the whole appearance of them flying could be the side effects of their navigators. They can probably travel the world in a spectral form, and actually enter it physically when they find what they are looking for, then the navigator teleports them physically out with their captives.

Besides the fact that Geralt can't fly an easier explanation will be is that they only fly when they appear in wraith form (project them selves into another world), when they move between worlds in their physical form they bound by gravity.

None of them seem to posses "supernatural" abilities, they are still flesh and blood, they use "mages" to travel between worlds, since it takes quite a bit of energy they often do it in wraith form only.

It isn't clear what's the difference between "wraith" and "physical" form, but i suspect if you'll follow that line of thought their usual attacks will involve a small amount of WH elves transported between worlds and much more projected as wraiths seems to be the most effective means to both scare the shit out of anyone they might encounter and still be able to actually accomplish something.

or, that flying cavalcade might be just a coverup to scare people.. they had to keep their appearance as a ghosts, yet they were practically just small group of slavers kidnapping people.. whats the better way how to cover your intention than to make other think you are some ethereal ghostly riders? Majority of people even think they are just a myth...

Yeah, for a game entitled about the Wild Hunt, we sure don't learn much more about it... I love the game but I thought I may get some answers for non-book readers or whatevers.

When they ride across the sky in their spectral cavalcade they do it as wraiths, projecting their spirits across the worlds. Now they are present in the flesh, having come through on Naglfar, in order to track Ciri down. When they are physically present, they are bound by the same physics as any other living beings.

Top Bottom