The Witcher 1&2 Remakes?

+

The Witcher 1 & 2 Remakes?

• Yes I would love TW1&2 remastered Edition for PS4 and XboxOne

Votes: 213 47.2%
  • No I don't want this (please specify why)

Votes: 116 25.7%
  • A remake for all platforms.

Votes: 122 27.1%

• Total voters
Instead of remaking Witcher 1 in REDengine 3 CDPR could help reimplementing the custom Aurora engine on modern platforms (something like Xoreos project: https://xoreos.org). That would be really helpful. Otherwise Witcher 1 is great on its own and CDPR should better work on porting REDengine 3 to more backends like OpenGL than refactoring older games.

Last edited:
I think that the witcher 1 will defiantly be one of the first moding goals of red engine 2 modders.
from what i understand most of the witcher 1 locations will be present in the witcher 3. the modders will need to use sound files from the witcher 1 and i guess that quest stages will be copied and refined. I hope that the witcher 3 will have a vibrant modding community.

I hope that the witcher 3 will have a vibrant modding community.

It would help the game immensely. Let's just hope the new Redkit will be released asap after The Witcher 3, because the delayed release for Wticher 2 really killed the enthusiasm.

It would help the game immensely. Let's just hope the new Redkit will be released asap after The Witcher 3, because the delayed release for Wticher 2 really killed the enthusiasm.
It wouldn't hurt if red kit 2 will be a bit more user friendly. I done some skyrim modding and redkit overwhelmed me to the point i stopped mid work.
I got to admit that one of my goals is to try and recreate the witcher 1 with the witcher 3 engine. Ii have few ideas, on how to eliminate some backtracking and such.
Recreating past games and creating new adventures in the land of the game is where the modding community shines. look at the elder scrolls games modders keep it alive and give a lot of ideas to the developers.

Probably, not now. But I hope TW3 will be so successful that CDPR will be drowning in all that torrent of cash and will have to make TW1-TW2 for ps4/X1 just to save themselves. :)

Probably, not now. But I hope TW3 will be so successful that CDPR will be drowning in all that torrent of cash and will have to make TW1-TW2 for ps4/X1 just to save themselves. :)

TW2 has to happen for PS4/X1 and it will look really gorgeous.

I am still hoping it would after they release TW3 as well :)

@new&improved_vivaxardas: Gaming studios usually don't drown in cash. They use most of the resources to develop their next games. So allocating resources for previous titles is always lower priority.

^ This.

Sometimes a shop will make work more to keep key talent from jumping ship than to make things they can sell surely and profitably. But you usually do that when you're spending govenment money, not shareholders' money.

Remakes of TW1 or TW2 are rather far down the list of things they can make money on, and they also don't stand comparison with new work when it comes to retaining key people.

Last edited:
and they also don't stand comparison with new work when it comes to retaining key people.
^ What Guy said.

I wouldn't expect any remakes... letting alone that it's only been around 7-8 years which does not justify a remake or remaster combined with the fact that the studio has constantly been working on Witcher games for more than a decade they NEED something new and fresh.

Yeah CDPR has already said there are no plans for it, not anytime soon anyways (if ever), so it'd be up to some incredibly ambitious modders in that case. I remember back when The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf was announced and then fell through. I think CDPR realizes that they are best moving forward.

If anyone thinks just reusing assets like sound files would make a fan port easy has really bad ideas about what it takes to mod and/or develop video games. If you want to know about how much time, effort, people and resources are required for a decent port over to a new engine read up on morroblivion and other similar ventures. That being said it's possible but you might want to give modders a good 5 years minimum to port TW1 on RED3.

If anyone thinks just reusing assets like sound files would make a fan port easy has really bad ideas about what it takes to mod and/or develop video games. If you want to know about how much time, effort, people and resources are required for a decent port over to a new engine read up on morroblivion and other similar ventures. That being said it's possible but you might want to give modders a good 5 years minimum to port TW1 on RED3.
I do know the time it take to create a good mod. it took me 5 months to create a nice skyrim mod and a month to create a 40 min adventure in neverwinter.
the real question here is how much will the modder be require to build in the world, if the witcher 3 will have all major location it will reduce a lot of work from the modder. even so we are talking about minimum of a year's work.

Good thing that TW3 will probably keep us entertained for about 7 years then ;)

It would still be kinda cool to see witcher 1 in new engine. But like everyone said, cdpr don't have resources for that and modding scene for witcher games is almost nonexistent.

If CDprojekt RED will create a user friendly moding engine that doesn't require mod baking, thing will look different.
As an example if a moder like to add a chest to the game a mere 1 mb mod will take 1-3gb due to the required mod baking.
I hope that thy will create a better engine for the next game.

The prospect of profit has a way of opening up approval. But there is no profit to be had here.

To rework the game with the old assets would be pointless and embarrassingly retro, and to rework the assets to make a state-of-the-art presentation would be costly and time-consuming.

To do this for a game that sells at remainder prices when you can use the same personnel and facilities to make a new game would be the height of foolishness.

Top Bottom