The Witcher 1&2 Remakes?

+

The Witcher 1 & 2 Remakes?

• Yes I would love TW1&2 remastered Edition for PS4 and XboxOne

Votes: 213 47.2%
  • No I don't want this (please specify why)

Votes: 116 25.7%
  • A remake for all platforms.

Votes: 122 27.1%

• Total voters
If you need "any console" you can already play it on Steam Machines.
Common man, no one wants to spend money on those overpriced garbage Steam Machines, or install Linux on their PS4 to play it Hackintosh-style.

We console gamers want to play it the same way we play Witcher 3, on PS4/Xbone without any modifications. It would help make the wait easier for Cyberpunk.

Common man, no one wants to spend money on those overpriced garbage Steam Machines, or install Linux on their PS4 to play it Hackintosh-style.

Firstly, PS4 and Xbox One are way worse than any up to date Steam Machine, because their hardware is seriously outdated (compare their GCN 2.0 to current day 4th generation of GCN). So if you want to use outdated stuff - don't call newer hardware garbage. It doesn't sound convincing.

Secondly, it's your choice how to use your hardware, but staying with stock PS4 / Xbox One won't help you playing TW1, because CDPR aren't going to work on it anymore. So either get another console, install Linux on PS4 or move to other games.

---------- Updated at 01:19 AM ----------

More reading on GCN here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Core_Next

Last edited:
Watch this video:

That Steam Machine in the video costed him $1000, and has a i5 processor in it. The rest of the specs are also pretty mediocre.

Maybe once the Steam Machines hit clearance bin prices, I would recommend buying one. But not at their current prices.

And unless I haven't seen it, CDPR has never ruled out the idea of Witcher 1, 2 remakes for PS4/Xbone. We are allowed to speculate/dream.

Watch this video:

You still didn't comment on what said above, about "current generation" of incumbent consoles being actually several generations behind current day hardware.

I see no point in that video. Firstly Steam Machines aren't dead - they are being produced by several manufacturers. Secondly, about their pricing - I'd say it can be cheaper to assemble your own small factor computer, yes. But the point of such pre-assembled systems is to cater to those who don't want to tinker in assembling computers themselves. Enthusiasts will do it anyway, and I don't think Steam Machines are targeted for them. I prefer to assemble computers myself, and run Linux on them for gaming.

And one more point about prices of incumbent consoles - they are seriously undpriced. I.e. their production costs probably more than the price they are sold for. Such method is not sustainable when market is competitive. The only reason Sony and MS got away with this, is the fact that they had no serious competition in the consoles space. With increasing competition, prices on PS and Xbox will rise and will become realistic. You should expect that in the future, instead of expecting Steam Machines to become radically cheaper. Situation with mobile hardware should give you a good idea (i.e. subsidized pricing dying out).

Last edited:
You still didn't comment on what said above, about "current generation" of incumbent consoles being actually several generations behind current day hardware.
Because its irrelevant to the discussion. Yes, it was unnecessary how I called the Steam Machines "garbage", they aren't horrible products when you exclude the price and the redundancy of them

And one more point about prices of incumbent consoles - they are seriously undpriced. I.e. their production costs probably more than the price they are sold for. Such method is not sustainable when market is competitive. The only reason Sony and MS got away with this, is the fact that they had no serious competition in the consoles space. With increasing competition, prices on PS and Xbox will rise and will become realistic. You should expect that in the future, instead of expecting Steam Machines to become radically cheaper.
Its called the "razor and blade" method. They sell you the console for no profit, and they make their money by selling games.

A physical copy of a game costs like $5 to manufacture, and they sell it for $60. And digital copies? doesn't cost them a penny to manufacture.

This is what Valve should've done with Steam Machines.

Its called the "razor and blade" method. They sell you the console for no profit, and they make their money by selling games.

Except as I said, this method doesn't work in the competitive markets. It only works in stale market with monopolies / oligopolies (where everyone buys products from those monopolists). As I added above in my previous comment, mobile hardware can give you an idea. Subsidized approach for it gradually died out, because it's not sustainable. Same will happen with consoles as competition will even out the market and prices will become realistic.

So absolutely not - Valve should not be doing this with Steam Machines. It's a dead approach. Plus, Valve quite wisely aren't making actually consoles. They only sell games. Consoles (or rather small factor PCs) are made by manufacturers like Dell and others. Eventually even MS and Sony won't be able to sustain that method, and prices on their consoles will become real.

Last edited:
I am hoping that in about five years, CD Project will perform a comprehensive melding of the whole Witcher game trilogy into one cohesive gaming package...

With a 'super-map' that seamlessly incorporates all three of the games' quest content.

With an even further upgrade to those Crysis-esque graphics (sharpened textures and shadows) from Witcher 3 2013 build.

With a complete level/items system that allows a player to 'just about' max out every skill-tree, but only after systematically playing through every quest from all three games.

With a personality/dialogue tweak to make Witcher 2+3 Triss act like Witcher 1 Triss (and giving her brunette hair, like from the books), an overhauled timeline so that you can meet Yennefer/Ciri/Triss just as soon as you like (depending on what quests and/or story threads you choose to pull first), plus the polishing and inclusion of all the half-finished romance/dialogue/quest material for Shani and Yen. (You know, the stuff CDProject locked away when they decided to make Triss "queen".) ...making the games closer to the original envisionment of letting you have three separate, VIABLE romance options that can be pursued over the entire course of the trilogy!

If all of this was done, THEN I could call the Witcher games 'perfect'.

Bonus points for implementing a non-buggy smart-leveling system, allowing for the inclusion of 'camp-followers', so that Geralt can be regularly joined on his open-world quests by 'Dandelion', 'Iorveth' 'Zoltan Chivay', 'Ciri', 'Yen', 'Triss', etc.
Double bonus points for allowing multiplayer options for all camp-followers, essentially turning the questing portions of 'Witcher' into a group endeavor with your real-life friends'. (InB4 '"What friends".)

Haha. I guess you couldnt go wrong there. Me personally like that they're doin something new.

Except as I said, this method doesn't work in the competitive markets. It only works in stale market with monopolies / oligopolies (where everyone buys products from those monopolists). As I added above in my previous comment, mobile hardware can give you an idea. Subsidized approach for it gradually died out, because it's not sustainable. Same will happen with consoles as competition will even out the market and prices will become realistic.

So absolutely not - Valve should not be doing this with Steam Machines. It's a dead approach. Plus, Valve quite wisely aren't making actually consoles. They only sell games. Consoles (or rather small factor PCs) are made by manufacturers like Dell and others. Eventually even MS and Sony won't be able to sustain that method, and prices on their consoles will become real.
But what they're doing with the Steam Machines isn't working either. The console sold under 500,000 in 7 months, it took the PS4 12 hours to sell 500,000. Its either they find a way to make the ravor and blade method work, or they don't penetrate the console market.

Anyways, thats all irrelevant. This thread is about remaking Witcher 1,2, yet you keep suggesting people to Hackintosh their PS4s or get a Steam Machine if they want to play them on a console. We don't want to do inelegant methods like that just to play the games on a console. Thats where remakes would be the solution.

Also I know Witcher 2 was ported to the 360. I plan to get a copy of that soon.

Okay, and back to the actual W1 and W2 topic please.

If someone want's to continue with Steam Machines, it can be done in another threads or PMs.

We don't want to do inelegant methods like that just to play the games on a console

As I said, your other option is not to play it. That's up to you. I was talking about current day realistic options, not about what hypothetically can or can't happen in the future. You want to play it. I described your options. You are free not to play it if you don't like those.

Currently there is no elegant method on Xbox and PS, because incumbent consoles are walled gardens and don't support standard technologies. Other options however are elegant enough. Just use Wine there, and TW1 will work perfectly. TW2 already has Linux version through VP eON wrapper, so it will work there as well.

Last edited:
But as a PS4 player it still feels stupid playing the third piece in a trilogy without having played either W1 or W2. It feels like going to see Return of the Jedi without seeing ep 4 and 5.
I agree with this guy

As I said, your other option is not to play it. That's up to you. I was talking about current day realistic options, not about what hypothetically can or can't happen in the future. You are demanding to play it. I described your options. You are free not to play it if you don't like those.
I'm not demanding to play it. I'm not sure how you got that impression.

We console gamers want to play it the same way we play Witcher 3, on PS4/Xbone without any modifications. It would help make the wait easier for Cyberpunk.

This was more of a request than a demand.

A console port of the games would be nice, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. If I do get really anxious to play The Witcher 1, I'll just suck it up and play it on Steam. The game probably only costs around $10 nowadays.

and play it on Steam

It's on sale on GOG all the time. And it's not a new game and works well even on moderate hardware. So there is no need to wait really. Personally I'm more interested in open engine for TW1, than in remakes. But that might still take a long time (Xoreos).

Last edited:
I think the reason why CDProjekt Red is not doing Witcher 1 & 2 Remasters is because they are busy working on Cyberpunk 2077 and Gwent

I think they should redo TW1 on RED engine eventually. It would require a ground-up rebuild, but the engine they used at the time really held their vision back, and as I replay it I see that more than ever now. They could also streamline the quest design a bit and they'd have a huge market willing to buy it. Its quality in other areas is on par with the other two games or better.

I think they should redo TW1 on RED engine eventually. It would require a ground-up rebuild, but the engine they used at the time really held their vision back, and as I replay it I see that more than ever now. They could also streamline the quest design a bit and they'd have a huge market willing to buy it. Its quality in other areas is on par with the other two games or better.
At the very least I'm surprised they never ported W2 to PS considering that was the console that sold the most W3 copies. I see plenty of console users saying they'd like to play the previous two entries.

At the very least I'm surprised they never ported W2 to PS considering that was the console that sold the most W3 copies. I see plenty of console users saying they'd like to play the previous two entries.

Amount of work to do that would be too big for their past game. PS doesn't support proper OpenGL, so they can't use eON wrapper from VP which already exists for TW2 (for Linux and OS X) and they can't use Wine there either for the same reason. So it's highly unlikely to happen.

Also last time they tried to get W1 ported it almost killed them lol.

It would be unlikely to kill them this time with the amount of profit made on TW3. The problem is that the money is probably deemed to be better spent on Cyberpunk or other projects.

At the very least I'm surprised they never ported W2 to PS considering that was the console that sold the most W3 copies. I see plenty of console users saying they'd like to play the previous two entries

"Porting" the X360 version of the game to XB1 was very easy, it just uses a compatibility/emulation layer to run the game without the need for any significant changes. Obviously, the downside is that it is still affected by the graphical and other limitations imposed by the X360 hardware as well. The PS4 would require a real, native port, which is a lot more work.

Any chance to see a remastered/remake?

I played and loved The Witcher 2 and 3, but I never liked the first The Witcher...I don't know why.
I played and liked many old school RPGs like Planescape, Baldur's Gate, NWN2 (with same engine of The Witcher), so it's not this the problem.
I find it awkward. I don't like how Geralt looks and his animations. And the general graphic look.
Now I also prefer to use the pad, considering I played both TW2 and 3 with pad, and I wish to have an official complete support to pad, and not only using a 3rd part key binding software.

NOTE: Please, respect my opinions. Don't post thing like "real gamerz use mouse and keyboardz", etc...

Top Bottom