The Witcher 1&2 Remakes?

+

The Witcher 1 & 2 Remakes?

• Yes I would love TW1&2 remastered Edition for PS4 and XboxOne

Votes: 213 47.2%
  • No I don't want this (please specify why)

Votes: 116 25.7%
  • A remake for all platforms.

Votes: 122 27.1%

• Total voters
I guess the fact that many distributors are digital these days adds to the confusion. It's good to always clarify these roles:

1. Publisher (those who fund the development). In case of CDPR they are self published (i.e. they are their own publishers).
2. Printer / manufacturer (those who produce physical media). CDPR have several partners for this, such as Bandai Namko, WB Games and so on.
3. Distributor (either digital or retail). CDPR have several partners for both physical and digital distribution (same Bandai Namko, WB Games, Steam and etc.), and they as well self distribute their games through GOG.

Once you have these 3 explained, the picture is usually clear. Confusion arises from the fact that in many scenarios one entity can be either all 3, or just 2 & 3, or just 3. And they are confusingly called "publishers". Even Wikipedia which usually aspires for clarity falls victim of this confusion. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher_3:_Wild_Hunt

The game card on the right lists various companies as "publishers" and readers have no clue what it means by just looking at it.

Which actually gives me an idea to propose to Wikipedia to redesign the game card template to include more detailed info.

Last edited:
Thinking about it by a modder perspective there is one big problem in porting THW1 to TW3, the problem is the open world. The witcher 1 is instanced this instancing give the sense of no return and urgency. The modder need a way to explain the inability to travel anywhere, a possible solution might be that Outskirts of Vizima are under quarantine due to the disease, A modder can highlight the illogical order given to the guards in Vizima, the inability to travel from the swamps and Lakeside can be a bit difficult to explain. I believe that most of TW1 location are already in TW3.

Would you like a The Witcher 1 and 2 Remastered Edition for PS4 and XboxOne?

First off forgive me if this question was raised in another thread I tried to use the search functions but a similar thread didn't come out.

I played TW1 and TW2 since they got out on my trusty PC; unfortunately age is taking a toll on my poor machine and considering my limited funds I decided that I'm going to play TW3 on the PS4 which I bought recently.

I would like to know if CDPR has the intention one day to release past Witcher games in a remastered edition for the new generation of consoles. Plenty of people didn't play the original games and I think it would be a nice move to introduce this wonderful franchise to new players that weren't able to play this game on PC earlier., especially those that had a PS system.

I would happily pay full price to enjoy TW1 and TW2 on my PS4. I would expect only a revamped graphic for TW1 and an optimized game for TW2. I hope if someone from CDPR is reading this to consider the idea.
What do you think?

I added a POLL for you to vote. If you vote NO please leave a comment stating why you don't want that.

Thank you for your attention and please if you are a PC player don't start with the PC elitism thing, I wrote this thread for console players so really I'm not even debating that playing on PC is better. It IS!

Last edited:
Well I decided not to include this option as the thread was inteded for those who DO play on consoles. Thanks for you insight though

The Witcher 1 on consoles? The last time they nearly went bankrupt :| However i think it would be too difficult to redesign the whole combat system for the controller.

The Witcher 1 on consoles? The last time they nearly went bankrupt :| However i think it would be too difficult to redesign the whole combat system for the controller.

Well TW2 was already released on consoles so it's more of an optimization problem and IF TW3 is going to sell well obtaining more fans I don't see why this wouldn't be worth the effort. I think TW1 is a great game who deserves to be known.
You need to spend money to get money.

Well TW2 was already released on consoles so it's more of an optimization problem and IF TW3 is going to sell well obtaining more fans I don't see why this wouldn't be worth the effort. I think TW1 is a great game who deserves to be known.

Well its a lot of work and money. Would such high risk investment worth it? Well if W3 will be a total success(Game of The Year, records in sale,it gets popular as COD/BF), then maybe.

It might be easier to develop for PS4 and xBone, as they share similar architecture as mid/low end PCs and are more competent than the previous generations were.

There are issues with UI and game design for W1, but the story/atmosphere may be possible with W3 gameplay, as a mod with far less effort than a recoding of the originals?

Don't get me wrong, i'd love to see a remake of TW1 for consoles and pc but there's one thing that make me believe this won't happen in the near future. CDPR is working on the Witcher franchise for almost 10 years, they started on TW1 in 2004, and i think they're a bit "fed up" of working only on our beloved Geralt. They want to work on something else that is not a fantasy rpg, like CP2077 :) So i think we won't see a witcher game for some time after W3.. or not.

Last edited:
After working on The Witcher franchise for more than a decade, I'm pretty sure the Reds are desperate to move onto the next project but putting that aside for hypotheticals...

I would put Witcher 1 as an impossibility because of the way it's designed - keyboard and mouse layout with plenty of keys and the UI.(also you can't remaster a game that was never released on said platforms in the first place). They attempted a port, outsourced rather for a Witcher 1 port(sort of) but that almost made them bankrupt.

Witcher 2 is a possibility, it's a primarily PC game(the codebase) and the new consoles are essentially fisher price PCs, same architecture with a few different extensions, they could do it in a much smoother and easier way than for the last gen

But like I said in the first sentence, doubtful it will happen, most of the team has worked on the franchise for a very long time and they are probably desperate to move onto Cyberpunk2077 and not more Witcher.

After working on The Witcher franchise for more than a decade, I'm pretty sure the Reds are desperate to move onto the next project but putting that aside for hypotheticals...

I would put Witcher 1 as an impossibility because of the way it's designed - keyboard and mouse layout with plenty of keys and the UI.(also you can't remaster a game that was never released on said platforms in the first place). They attempted a port, outsourced rather for a Witcher 1 port(sort of) but that almost made them bankrupt.

Witcher 2 is a possibility, it's a primarily PC game(the codebase) and the new consoles are essentially fisher price PCs, same architecture with a few different extensions, they could do it in a much smoother and easier way than for the last gen

But like I said in the first sentence, doubtful it will happen, most of the team has worked on the franchise for a very long time and they are probably desperate to move onto Cyberpunk2077 and not more Witcher.

Thank you for your answer. Well a man can dream. If only TW2 would be out on next gen it would be great, still I really appreciate your honesty in this regard. The Reds are great guys and of course it's better for them to do what they like and focus on doing it great.

Whatever it comes depends on the fans i suppose. But till Red editor was released, i don`t see any enthusiasm about that lazy witcher fans-modders, except the guys which making Lykaon. I havent seen even one mod or addon from fans from that time. Even tiny.

Well, I think it's too late for something like that. They already have a hard time to bring W3 out in time (and they don't...) so I doubt that they have any time or budget to work on remastered versions of W1 and W2 to next-gen consoles. From a purely technological point of view I also think that W1 would require too much extra work to make it well playable on console. It wouldn't be just a typical remaster but a complete adaptation for controllers. And since W1 always was more or less a niche game for a special kind of gamer (mostly European hardcore RPG enthusiasts) I doubt it would make much sense to do so anyway. W2 instead, that would be way easier since the game is already adapted to consoles (or even was made with consoles in mind). Still, I don't think that's a priority for CDPR right now and after the release of W3 it doesn't make that much sense imo neither.

I have nothing against such a remaster in theory (although I would demand that remastered stuff should be released for PC as well in the case) but I don' think it's realistic.

I'd rather a complete remake, for PC and consoles. Mainly for story purposes.

or an Enchanced Enchanced Edtion with more added dialog.

Yeah I would love to see a remake for PS4/Xbox, I have the PC versions already, but there are so many millions of people who never had the chance to play either of the first 2 games.

I would be in favor of bringing Witcher 1&2 over to the PS4, it just seems of a tremendous lot of work though. The real real question which comes to myself, is the future of Witcher 3. From past experience, if Witcher 3 sells enough on the console, will CD even have time to port over 1&2? Because more often than not, games that sell good on the console are often expanded on. So being fair I just don't see it happening.

The only reason I don't want it is because I don't want CDRed dev to "lose their time" with this instead of adding content to TW3 or their next games.

Top Bottom