The Witcher 1&2 Remakes?

+

The Witcher 1 & 2 Remakes?

• Yes I would love TW1&2 remastered Edition for PS4 and XboxOne

Votes: 213 47.2%
  • No I don't want this (please specify why)

Votes: 116 25.7%
  • A remake for all platforms.

Votes: 122 27.1%

• Total voters
Witcher games were and still are, known for their great stories. Witcher 1 and 2 were awesome, since I played the first game in 2008.
I DO NOT want any kind of re-boot, remaster of these games. Sure, the combat from The Witcher 1 is not great, but I just re-played the game 1 year ago, it's the story that makes the game good and not the combat!

To The Witcher2: Why would you need a remake of a game that is great, even today? The only reason I see , is if somebody has no PC and wants it for their consoles... There are many things were The Witcher 2 is even better than TW3, why wasting "time ?and money? " by remaking that game?! :O

Already confirmed for The Witcher 3.
Yeah one of these things that were confirmed....

Last edited:
I don't want a remaster. If anything I would like a reboot some time in the future, not near future though.

I agree. Personally I'm not interested in remasters. I want either something new (on condition that it will work on Linux) or someone making the Linux version of TW3. I'd pay money for either of that if anyone will want to crowdfund it.

I agree. Personally I'm not interested in remasters. I want either something new (on condition that it will work on Linux) or someone making the Linux version of TW3. I'd pay money for either of that if anyone will want to crowdfund it.
Yeah I'm all for more love to the Linux from CDPR and other developers in general. Very good point.

I think it would take away from the charm of TW1 (and to a significantly lesser extent TW2) if the game(s) were to be remastered. I understand why you'd want to play them on your PS4/XB1, though - especially TW1 since it is PC only. :)

Witcher games were and still are, known for their great stories. Witcher 1 and 2 were awesome, since I played the first game in 2008.
I DO NOT want any kind of re-boot, remaster of these games. Sure, the combat from The Witcher 1 is not great, but I just re-played the game 1 year ago, it's the story that makes the game good and not the combat!

A remaster would not need to change the story, only the graphics and gameplay/combat. Although in practice it could still end up changing it anyway, especially with the likely conversion to an open world, but then it would be more of a remake already. Still, I would not mind seeing one if it is faithful enough to the story and atmosphere of the original.

I can't speak for others, but I would like to see a remaster simply because the character models in TW1 have aged poorly, and while I agree that story is the most important element in role-playing games, the dated graphics are a barrier to entry for many people.

To The Witcher2: Why would you need a remake of a game that is great, even today? The only reason I see , is if somebody has no PC and wants it for their consoles... There are many things were The Witcher 2 is even better than TW3, why wasting "time ?and money? " by remaking that game?! :O

We're - or at least I'm - not talking about a complete remake. Just a graphical update to bring the visuals up to the fidelity of Wild Hunt. The character models in particular don't hold up very well today.

Of course none of this would be necessary if CDPR would just release a modkit like the Elder Scrolls construction set. This is probably the one area where I would have to say that Bethesda thoroughly outclasses them. I means, come on, Todd Howard single-handedly coded the entire mod program for Morrowind. CDPR clearly has the resources to do something similar, they just lack the will.

I can't speak for others, but I would like to see a remaster simply because the character models in TW1 have aged poorly, and while I agree that story is the most important element in role-playing games, the dated graphics are a barrier to entry for many people.

I'd say those for whom it's a barrier for entry, aren't interested in roleplaying anyway. This might sound harsh, but in reality PnP roleplaying games don't have any graphics. Text computer games don't have any either (or very minimal still images). A major component there relies on imagination. Too oldschool? May be, but we are talking about RPGs here.

That said, I don't mind remakes if they are well done and story / RPG elements don't suffer in the process (or even are improved). That's all good, but CDPR won't spend any money on it, as was already said many times in such topics. They don't want to do even more useful things, let alone remakes of the old games.

Last edited:
I'd say those for whom it's a barrier for entry, aren't interested in roleplaying anyway. This might sound harsh, but in reality PnP roleplaying games don't have any graphics. Text computer games don't have any either (or very minimal still images). A major component there relies on imagination. Too oldschool? May be, but we are talking about RPGs here.

It doesn't sound harsh, it sounds elitist and condescending. If CDPR only made PnP RPG's and text computer games because, you know, "graphics don't matter" as you said above, their fanbase would probably shrink from 10,000,000+ to about a couple hundred. The fact is that while story is the major draw for most people that are fans of the role-playing genre, graphics and presentation are also a major consideration because videogames are a visual medium, and as technology and the industry inch ever forward, our expectations increase and also influence our perception of past titles. I played the original Neverwinter Nights and Might and Magic RPG's when they first came out, and while I enjoyed them tremendously at the time, I wouldn't pick them up again today because they are a pixelated mess. I still consider myself an RPG fan, though, regardless of what you have to say on the matter.

... CDPR won't spend any money on it, as was already said many times in such topics.

There are lots of things that CDPR has already said they "won't spend money on," but we still have a right to continue talking about them and voicing our opinions.

They don't want to do even more useful things, let alone remakes of the old games.

Like what, porting TW3 to Linux? The argument you have made all along in support of such a release is that it would open up the Witcher franchise to a wider audience. That's the same case that I am making for a remaster of the first two games.

In any case, going back to what you said in your first paragraph, I could just as easily rephrase that to say "Those for whom operating systems are a barrier to entry aren't really interested in role-playing anyway." You've made a conscious decision not to play TW3 because it doesn't appear on your platform of choice. It's a decision based on technical considerations, and I don't see how that is any different than someone who passes on an RPG because the visuals are no longer palatable.

Call it elitist, I simply call it a differentiating factor. RPG genre always will have something not enough mainstream to attract only certain type of people who want to play such games. Attracting more mainstream with graphics might be a business method, but it's not the factor of RPG-iness of those games. To be clear, I appreciate good graphics, and it of course makes games better. I was talking about how it ties into RPG aspect of them and how it can detract from it even.

And we of course can talk about all that. My point was about the outcome. In the end, CDPR do what they want anyway :)

---------- Updated at 11:48 PM ----------

Like what, porting TW3 to Linux? The argument you have made all along in support of such a release is that it would open up the Witcher franchise to a wider audience. That's the same case that I am making for a remaster of the first two games.

No, that's an invalid comparison, because operating system is needed to play the game. Having good graphics is not needed for playing it. I.e. by excluding operating systems, their users are excluded from being able to play the game. Graphics is not a prerequisite.

Also, we are talking about current games vs old games. I could of course ask CDRP to release TW1 for Linux too (VP already made a port for OS X), but I see no point. I can play it already, but not TW3. As I said above, I'm not against remasters conceptually, but I'd rather see them making their existing games playable first.

Last edited:
Call it elitist, I simply call it a differentiating factor. RPG genre always will have something not enough mainstream to attract only certain type of people who want to play such games. Attracting more mainstream with graphics might be a business method, but it's not the factor of RPG-iness of those games. To be clear, I appreciate good graphics, and it of course makes games better. I was talking about how it ties into RPG aspect of them and how it can detract from it even.

Good graphics was probably always seen as important when developing the Witcher games, even the first one tried to get as much as possible out of the Aurora engine and the limited development budget. While I can still return to TW1 or TW2 after playing Wild Hunt, I have to admit the technical and gameplay differences probably put off a lot of potential players who end up missing much of the story as a result, and I would appreciate the remasters or remakes on RED Engine 3 if they were done without ruining the originals (which I do have some doubts about).

No, that's an invalid comparison, because operating system is needed to play the game. Having good graphics is not needed for playing it. I.e. by excluding operating systems, their users are excluded from being able to play the game. Graphics is not a prerequisite.

Actually, the first two games not running on the current generation consoles does also exclude people from being able to play them. Of course, one could just say that they can still play the games on PC instead, but from them that is somewhat like telling Linux users to install Windows or use Wine. ;)

Actually, the first two games not running on the current generation consoles does also exclude people from being able to play them. Of course, one could just say that they can still play the games on PC instead, but from them that is somewhat like telling Linux users to install Windows or use Wine. ;)

It's not something CDPR can remedy though. I.e. closed console systems don't support standard technologies, so developing for them is an extra tax on any developer (it's done on purpose naturally by those console vendors to make cross platform development more expensive).

In all other cases they have standard / cross platform technologies available, it's only the question of them using it.

Quite frankly, with as thoroughly as The Witcher 3 has covered the resources you would need to remake the first game, and as close as TW2 and TW3 are technologically, this would be more than possible for a modder to do if they were given a REDkit like that of TW2's. The stories are written, everything's been designed, the voice acting's there (granted a little corny for TW1), and most importantly just about any asset you would need has already been made except for some TW1 characters. Really all that would be needed would be a proper level editing program and someone with a lot of time on their hands. Side note: making a remake for just the PS4 and Xbox would be a great way to get most of this community upset.

Although a remastered edition of both games would be fun to play (At first.), what's the point? They'll both end up looking just as out-dated in a few years.

For those who sorely want a remastered version of TW1, why don't you just make it with TW2's RedKit? All of the assets are already there.

Last edited:
Oh great Melitele, that would be incredible to get a total remake of the first game with graphics and combat system from the third. But I don't think that CD Projekt RED are interested in developing same game once again right from the beginning. Maybe in 15 years some other talented people will remake first The Witcher game like guys from Crowbar Collective did with first Half-Life. Yeah, time will tell...

Although a remastered edition of both games would be fun to play (At first.), what's the point? They'll both end up looking just as out-dated in a few years.

For those who sorely want a remastered version of TW1, why don't you just make it with TW2's RedKit? All of the assets are already there.

The witcher 2 misses so many monsters and assets and there is no wiki that can explain new modders how to use the tools, so in order to do what you suggest we need an experienced modder that know how to export models from the witcher 3/1 to the witcher 2. another problems is that people enjoy the witcher 3 and want to play in the witcher 3 settings and mechanics not the witcher 2, some mechanics in the witcher 2 are somewhat problematic like the potion drinking system.

Would like TW1&2 remastered edition on Steam Machines with native OpenGL/Vulkan support.

While it would be nice, TW1 and TW2 are already well playable on Linux (well, besides may be REDkit support in TW2). And since CDPR aren't willing to finish working on TW3 for Linux, do you think they'll do anything else for their older games?

Top Bottom