The Witcher 1 and The Witcher 3

+
well I ran into a video by Gamepressures and that really waken my feeling about the series
i wanted to see if some here feel the same way

the video:

thats my opinion,
i wrote it down on the comment section as well

it will be a little messy and maybe i will had some grammer mistakes, so forgive me in advance.
its not professional review just some thoughs that i hope CDRP will consider in the next game

i played the witcher 3 game in the same week its released but i have a big issues withe structure of the world, everything feel... small, i dont know if its because the camera pov or i its just me but something really off for me.
the graveyards felt like little space or caves feel really clastropobic, in addition and wierd in the wrong way, in addition i dont think the music and the tone of the world, catch everything that the world supouse to deliver... in my opinion The Witcher 1 did it way WAY better.

the music was on point, melancholic and megical at once, most of my favourite ost is from this game, the world of the witcher felt cruel, every graveyard felt like an bad omen people felt like they scheming something, the poor felt like poor on the street, hookers that try to get atention, the racisem felt in every corner, and its not because that someone try to make your rememeber that every now and then, its because the atmosphere was on point i didnt need the unhuman and human war to felt that.

I remember the unsafe Outskrits of Vizima they felt like you never safe, while in the witcher 3 most of the small villages look the same and most of them felt too welcoming. In Vizima the atmosphere was that good that you felt the scheming, the racisem, the poor and the abusives, the megical omen and curses in the air, the structure of the world was great for me everything felt big and unique, the mysterious enviroment felt like a sad fariy tale, i mean look at chapter 4 in the Witcher 1 it was masterpiece, i cant get over the feeling on the shore, and the big Dagon sculpture, the rye field and the unfortune bride, you could feel the story in the music and the enviroment alone.

The Swamp in Chapter 2 felt like ominess place that you fear to explore (in a good way) while a the witcher 3 i dont really cared... its isnt felt scary at all...

Chapter 3 was great as well its was peacefull after two threatening chapters, you felt you can rest easy a little and enjoy the more lifestyle side of Vizima but in the nights you could felt uneasy and still ominess feeling.

Chapter 5 was a little messy but you could get trough it after such advanture,
sadly the atmosphere in the witcher 3 isnt enogh deppresing like it should be, the game holding your hand instead of figuring out things yourself with the information that you got like in Tw1, the exploration felt without the HUD that you can walk in circles, and u missing alot, so you have to put the HUD on, well i know that in scale it isnt fair bacuse The witcher 1 is samller big time than The witcher 3 but still it deliver its somehow better.

yea i know some of my problems its because The witcher 1 was divided by chapters while The witcher 3 was open world and to be honest if they could deliver the same megical expirince well in my subjective idea, i will prefer the game to be divided to acts or chapters like The Witcher 1 and 2 (altough in my opinion the witcher 2 lack the same things, and i played the witcher 1 after i finished the second game so its isnt the nostlagia that talking)

still The Witcher 3 was fantastic and in other aspect it was way better than its predecessors but those were my big problems with the game that i really really sorry about them and felt unstesfied

hope its still relevant after all those years

maybe for the game that will come in the next years

I remember the unsafe Outskrits of Vizima they felt like you never safe, while in the witcher 3 most of the small villages look the same and most of them felt too welcoming.
I totally agree with this. These damn Barghests still haunt me :eek:

i mean look at chapter 4 in the Witcher 1 it was masterpiece, i cant get over the feeling on the shore, and the big Dagon sculpture, the rye field and the unfortune bride, you could feel the story in the music and the enviroment alone.

One of my favorite parts in the game. I see that W1 has the best lore, while W2 excelled in its fantasy atmosphere and world design. W3 sort of gathered all that in the same game. As W3 took the advantages of both W1 and 2 and built on them even more, it also had the disadvantages of both installments, so you kinda feel indecisive after W3.

But there is a particular theme that only exists in W1, which is the evil, lesser evil, and neutral paths. This theme should be clearly presented in the upcoming witcher. It's something that distinguishes the game from any other RPG.

Totally agree with you. W1 has the best atmosphere. Village from chapter 1 has more atmosphere than all W3 villages together (not even mention about chapter IV...) Or Wyzima vs Novigrad.. City from W3 is big etc.. but it cant be even compare to Wyzima... Also night time. You had gossebumps in W1, when you left the inn area at night.. Or when you entered the fields at night , when that music plays... In W3? We have bright nights with very "meh" music and same monsters as at night. Also every music track in W3 is so short, on such a big maps (not even 3 minutes... I cant listen to Velen music for more than 30 minutes, it is so tiring) In W1 we have even 6 minutes tracks on smaller maps. Also that annoying wind on every part of the map in Wild Hunt...

Totally agree with you. W1 has the best atmosphere. Village from chapter 1 has more atmosphere than all W3 villages together (not even mention about chapter IV...) Or Wyzima vs Novigrad.. City from W3 is big etc.. but it cant be even compare to Wyzima... Also night time. You had gossebumps in W1, when you left the inn area at night.. Or when you entered the fields at night , when that music plays... In W3? We have bright nights with very "meh" music and same monsters as at night. Also every music track in W3 is so short, on such a big maps (not even 3 minutes... I cant listen to Velen music for more than 30 minutes, it is so tiring) In W1 we have even 6 minutes tracks on smaller maps. Also that annoying wind on every part of the map in Wild Hunt...
Right! How could i forget the nights, wow its felt on point like in the books!
you never felt safe on the witcher 1 and i kinda like it, Souls game give me the same feeling only Witcher 1 was more Slavic
and have moments you can really relax, but ultimatly when you get the cahnce to relax you really apricate that!

and the music, i cant say enough to described that, until this day i searching for a game that will give
me the same atmospheric feeling like "River of Life" ,"Likeside - Lady of the Lake" "Peacefull Moments" there were EPIC!
its annoy me that people will not appriciate it and will prefer earupen style...

I at least guess that CDRP tried something with more audience, understandable but in the same time, feeling a disappointment

I totally agree with this. These damn Barghests still haunt me :eek:

One of my favorite parts in the game. I see that W1 has the best lore, while W2 excelled in its fantasy atmosphere and world design. W3 sort of gathered all that in the same game. As W3 took the advantages of both W1 and 2 and built on them even more, it also had the disadvantages of both installments, so you kinda feel indecisive after W3.

But there is a particular theme that only exists in W1, which is the evil, lesser evil, and neutral paths. This theme should be clearly presented in the upcoming witcher. It's something that distinguishes the game from any other RPG.
yea that was so scary with the Barghests
yea i feeling like you
hope the next game will be more like one in moral and atmosphere

Right! How could i forget the nights, wow its felt on point like in the books!
you never felt safe on the witcher 1 and i kinda like it, Souls game give me the same feeling only Witcher 1 was more Slavic
and have moments you can really relax, but ultimatly when you get the cahnce to relax you really apricate that!

and the music, i cant say enough to described that, until this day i searching for a game that will give
me the same atmospheric feeling like "River of Life" ,"Likeside - Lady of the Lake" "Peacefull Moments" there were EPIC!
its annoy me that people will not appriciate it and will prefer earupen style...
I remember, when i first stepped outside the inn area on chapter 1, when that music starts to play and I saw one ghul eating someone near house, and than Barghest appearing next to me from nowhere.. Or entering fields in chapter IV for the first time, seeing noonwraith far away, slowly traveling on that fields, next to that big dry tree... In Wild hunt we also have this monsters, and fields, but it does not make you feel that way. (maybe because "meh" music? Because of that non stop wind?) Going to near big forest at middle of the night in W3? No problem, you almost feel like in the day, you know nothing different is waiting for you there, no scary music at background and moon is so big.. Hmm, there is maybe one place in W3, when you feel disturbed, next to that tree on swamps.

I at least guess that CDRP tried something with more audience, understandable but in the same time, feeling a disappointment
For me, it is the most atmospheric game soundtrack i have ever heard. In my opinion, W3 is good only in combat and cut scenes music. When it comes to something slower, more for exploring, its very average, they put W1 theme anywhere they can, and tracks are so short. And, many tracks from W3 are just arrangements of folk songs (for example Fields of Ard Skellige, Bonnie at morn, even that annoying main track from Velen is not original)
When i read comments like this (under W3's Kaer Morhen track): "Wow, W3 has really best music ever made" I am always angry on that person! Man! This is just arrangement of W1 main theme! And its just ok in compare to original. Kaer Morhen from Witcher 1 has more hmmm soul? (i dont know how to call it..) That W3 is just mechanical restoration...

Some well-deserved and rarely dispensed love for TW1. And I agree that it did some stuff best in the series.

There's a lot more that makes up a game than atmosphere alone, and overall I though the Witcher 3 was the better game, and by a significant margin. Having said that, I agree completely, the atmosphere in the Witcher 1 is second to none.

There's a lot more that makes up a game than atmosphere alone, and overall I though the Witcher 3 was the better game, and by a significant margin. Having said that, I agree completely, the atmosphere in the Witcher 1 is second to none.
i agree with you, that why i said that TW3 is a great game but i searched something more emotional than thechnical, and thats why for me(!!) it better than TW3
altough i love TW3 nontheless, its just... its just dont fell like continuation of TW1
I remember, when i first stepped outside the inn area on chapter 1, when that music starts to play and I saw one ghul eating someone near house, and than Barghest appearing next to me from nowhere.. Or entering fields in chapter IV for the first time, seeing noonwraith far away, slowly traveling on that fields, next to that big dry tree... In Wild hunt we also have this monsters, and fields, but it does not make you feel that way. (maybe because "meh" music? Because of that non stop wind?) Going to near big forest at middle of the night in W3? No problem, you almost feel like in the day, you know nothing different is waiting for you there, no scary music at background and moon is so big.. Hmm, there is maybe one place in W3, when you feel disturbed, next to that tree on swamps.

For me, it is the most atmospheric game soundtrack i have ever heard. In my opinion, W3 is good only in combat and cut scenes music. When it comes to something slower, more for exploring, its very average, they put W1 theme anywhere they can, and tracks are so short. And, many tracks from W3 are just arrangements of folk songs (for example Fields of Ard Skellige, Bonnie at morn, even that annoying main track from Velen is not original)
When i read comments like this (under W3's Kaer Morhen track): "Wow, W3 has really best music ever made" I am always angry on that person! Man! This is just arrangement of W1 main theme! And its just ok in compare to original. Kaer Morhen from Witcher 1 has more hmmm soul? (i dont know how to call it..) That W3 is just mechanical restoration...
im so feeling you man you have no idea!

I cannot say I do, because I purchased Witcher ii and downloaded from Amazon in 2012. That game never
played good on my PC even though the specs were higher than the specs to play Witcher 3 at max. i now
have a newer higher powered computer, and purchase the game Witcher 3 and after installing it by dvd,
When I go to GOG to play the game it comes back and tells me i don't have a valid copy of the game. I
am disgusted with GOG and the Witcher franchise.

Great post/theme.
TW3 may be better game in some ways, but i have enjoyed the first Witcher much more.
CDPR unfortunately went mainstream too much. Especially with this Cyberkitsch.

Top Bottom