The Witcher 1 vs The Witcher 2.. Which one do you prefer?

+
So far I prefer 1 to 2. Maybe it is because I played W1 first I dunno. There is just something about the controls in W2 I don't feel comfortable using. I play on a PC and have never used a game system maybe that is why? I hope for the next game if there is to be one that the controls are used from the first game.

I fully agree with the post on page one from Corylea.

TW1 was just better (or just different) in many things like eg combat. No idea why they changed so many things that were okay, imho. A little tweaking and it would´ve been perfect. I think they changed too much. Still, both are great games and will be recommended to whoever wants to hear my opinion!

I don't understand why the majority of people like the witcher 1 better....i'm watching it on youtube.com and am currently watching chapter 3 in the middle and the cut scenes are just talking bodies...no action..no drama..just talking bodies...

They should have better cut scenes in the witcher 1..like they did in the witcher 2...

I saw previews of the witcher 2 and it looks so much better than the witcher 1 imo...

LilKis said:
I don't understand why the majority of people like the witcher 1 better...
That's not really a fair comparison. The original Witcher is a 5-year-old game. Its art was technically outstanding for its day, and many of us think it has not been surpassed artistically by TW2. I don't know what deficiencies you could point to in the cutscenes, which were ideally suited to the subject matter, setting, and tone of the game.

I suggest you play the game instead of merely criticizing and repeatedly asking for spoilers.

Personally, I preferred TW1. It's the small things that makes up for it. Every lootable stuff, character, events, and locations were the things that made me feel a part of the world. In Witcher, I could almost name every flower, monster, book, etc after one playthrough. But in TW2, I felt it was too massive. Too many lootable junk, a clunky menu (for me at least) and locations were hard to follow where exactly I was with a lack of map (EC made up for it).

I enjoy them both for different reasons, but overall I love TW1 more.

First, I also loved both games and enjoyed them several times. As already mentioned there are good and bad things in both games (I think there is no game which is absolutely perfect in all matters...correct me if I'm wrong :) ). But if I had to choose one I would prefer TW2.

The TW2's world was more real and intense to me whereas TW1 was more like a dark fairytale to me.

In TW1 it wasn't hard to try different decisions, for example I prefered Yaevinn's side but I didn't bother much killing him when I sided with Siegfried. Sometimes Abigail died sometimes not, it was exciting to explore the consequenses but I was not into the story too much. In TW2 in some cases I had to force myself to take different decisions to explore other endings or story parts and sometimes I felt almost 'guilty' for that. It was more personal and I felt more responsible for the decisions I made. This makes this game so special for me.

GuyN said:
That's not really a fair comparison. The original Witcher is a 5-year-old game. Its art was technically outstanding for its day, and many of us think it has not been surpassed artistically by TW2. I don't know what deficiencies you could point to in the cutscenes, which were ideally suited to the subject matter, setting, and tone of the game.

I suggest you play the game instead of merely criticizing and repeatedly asking for spoilers.

I absolutately agree with you. +1. Every game in its respective time is exceptional. Compare them now is quite unfair.

I just replayed TW1 - the first five minutes I was shocked how old it looked. But then I found that it was just the bleak exterior of Kaer Morhen (where the game starts), and the level of detail and atmosphere is still extraordinary in the locations after that. The tons of people in the streets of Vizima, the small animals everywhere (doves! frogs! little monkey-like somethings! ) and the dirty medieval look of things... I'm in love once again.

Both games have their pros and cons, but in the end I enjoyed playing both of them. TW1 definitely wins in terms of atmosphere, alchemy, and music, but TW2 is superior when it comes to plot, stability, and characters.

M4xw0lf said:
the small animals everywhere (doves! frogs! little monkey-like somethings! )

They are called Mamunes, and they are creepy as hell.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Mamune

Wichat said:
Just like me! I lose charm in proximity

Well, then you'll probably stay charming forever for me ;) (with at least 1000 km between us ^^)

Edit: not a bad estimate at all: http://www.luftlinie.org/Tarragona-Spanien_Erlangen-Deutschland
:D

I love them both a lot. Things from tw1 I missed the most are small things. The sex cards not just because they were nice to look at, but because they gave us something fun to do and collect from figuring out what to give them as gifts and whatnot. The kill the town or side with the witch in the first act was nice too. I miss quest like the whole werewolf quest and you can kill him or let him live and you find out who he was. The quest where you can cure the princess. The 3 sides you can pick at the end in tw1 was great too. I always picked neutral. Seemed there was more variety of things to do in tw1 in general. Much more conversations with people.

With that being said I loved tw2 a lot as well. The graphics are immediately 10x better a long with character animations and lighting etc. The combat did need an overhaul, it was good in tw1, but idk took a while before I feel in love with it. The story was really good in TW2, but it didn't seem like geralt really cared about the outcome. I did love the replayablity of the 2nd with the 2 paths you really got way differnt quest. So its kind of a trade off.

If they can incorporate more things to do in tw3 and more conversations with all the good things they have done with tw2. I will be extremely happy!

Difficult choice, I would say both .. however Witcher 1 is better in terms of atmosphere, and the Witcher theme. Geralt is more involved with the unique problems encountered by a variety of people from peasants to a king, while keeping to his profession as a monster hunter.

In Witcher 2, he seems to constantly play a crucial role in determing the geopolitical situation of the Northern Kingdoms.

Oh this thread again. Uhh... im over a year here, reading myself is kinda weird. Hmm hmm, i had enough time to replay both games few times. Chapter 4 & 5 of tw1 >>>>tw2>>> chapter 1 - 3 of tw1.
tw1:
better atmosphere
better story
better alchemy
better character progression
better music
better little c&c
better ui
more natural environments
chapter 4 was the best part of witcher games
more game less movie

tw2:
better combat
better graphics
better characters
better dialogues (writing)
better grand c&c
better sidequests
better "structure of gameplay" (less backtracking etc.)

they are great for different reasons. Hard to chose so im deleting my previous vote and choosing both are equally great.

Liked the witcher 2 better, Witcher 1 became tedious and I actually stopped playing when I arrived at Foltests palace, only when The Witcher 2 came out I finished the first game

Top Bottom