The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition available on Linux!

+
Welcome back ;D
10x
Too bad it's not native though, bought it just to show support for the Linux version, for the future TW3 and all, but if this does not work on par with WINE I'm sooo gonna make sooo many support threads, yep I will, now that I'm not tech-support around here :D

Last edited:
Heh, Linux fans are not pleased, pulled some messages off twitter:
Aaron E. said:
@CDProjektRED ahh damn. i should have waited to verify it wasn't wrapped before buying :-/
LinuxGameCast said:
I've never went from :D to ಠ_ಠ so quickly. Witcher 2 #Linux port from @CDProjektRED is not native. http://t.co/YxDMIb5gXj #Linux port is
Pedro Mateus said:
@CDProjektRED Which e-mail address should I reach in order to request a refund, again?

4$ or 40$ this is not the point.
sell a broken and unfinished game is not a nice turn.

And this was maybe the only reason for the 80% sale.
Every Linux gamer should buy the game fast without thinking, before everone knows that the Linux Version is only a lazy wrapped Windows Version.

You need a GTX780 for playable 30fps! This is not a good situation.

Last edited:
Regardless of how little they pay, if the game doesn't work, I can understand why they're upset. Hopefully they will start looking for solutions and getting them.

The solution is simple.
If you dont wanna make a real port, it is ok.
Then dont let Virtual Programming do the work. They have only bad ports! If you read the forums of the mac ports they have done, all ports have performance issues.

Go to the guys of Codeweavers and let them make a good port.

I think that it was mistake to outsource it. Cdpr should leave witcher 2 behind if they have no resources to make linux port. Turned out wine version is even better than the port. Also all those whiners should realize they are gating 3A 9/10 rpg for all 3 platforms paying 1/10 of the original price. Sure it sucks that it have some performance issues, but even then it's better to have the game than not have the game at all.

Last edited:
Regardless of how little they pay, if the game doesn't work, I can understand why they're upset. Hopefully they will start looking for solutions and getting them.
+1
I have already 2 copies, 1 on launch, 1 enhanced, gifted 3 more to my friends and today I bought it again for Linux since I did not have the Steam version, just to show support.
Like I said, if this version runs poorer than running the Windows version with WINE then CDP really did a bad job, either by hiring the wrong team or having the wrong idea on what Linux gamers want and so they deserve the flak that's coming. Yeah, fixing it performance wise will help, a lot. Also, don't they remember the LIMBO Humble Bundle "scandal" ?

I'll post some comparison FPS between Windows/WINE/eON later.

Last edited:
Well this is not an ideal situation. After much petitioning CDPR finally acknowledges Linux users, but their game version is not what we expected.

I think Linux users should be both critical and moderately grateful. CDPR doesn't know how to approach Linux development but we want them to learn, not ditch this as a failed experiment.

In principle, it's the same as how we were before, using a third party. Except it might be easier to run by non technical Linux users. On the other hand, it performs badly, much worse than using Wine.

I wouldn't buy it on Steam but I think we should try to be supportive and provide critical feedback, not just bitch and whine (wink wink) about it. Also CDPR should humbly accept the incoming (or ongoing?) shitstorm, keep their cool and not pull a Bioware: be grateful you dirty peasants! Not that they would anyway, just saying.

It's a start. I hope we can somehow contribute to making it better. I really want a fast, native and fully featured Witcher for Linux.

Last edited:
I guess outsourcing come back to bite CDPR. Again.

However, as far as future Witcher developments for Linux are concerned, I wonder how this shitstorm/feedback will be treated by CDPR in terms of the amount of potential problems you can run into.

I swear it's like CDPR is cursed when it comes to outsourcing their work. But yeah, people shouldn't be all doom and gloom. It's new territory for CDPR, people should give them some space, you know the saying: "baby steps".

OK, I'm very naive about linux but it seems to me that the OP new doesn't look like a happy new for linux users....weirdly surprising

Last edited:
@.Volsung.: Seems like reports are contradictory. Some say they had bad performance, while others write it's very smooth for them. One of the points that VP developer mentioned is that they aren't using a fullscreen mode for some reason, but scaling (I'm not sure why - you can just disable desktop compositing like KDE does for fullscreen windows and that's it). Anyway, I hope all that criticism they are getting will actually translate in useful bug reports, rather than in pointless rants.

@wichat: I think some complaints are overboard, but there is positive criticism as well.

Last edited:
@. [MENTION=2003978]wichat: I think some complaints are overboard, but there is positive criticism as well.

Yes, of course, I agree. But it seems that devs of PC games are obliged to satisfy others platforms or OS meanwhile e.g. devs for PS can be quite quiet if they don't do this satisfaction act to the rest of users. As I said, I'm naive about this world of platforms, I am an old and inveterated PC/W user. however, gives the impression that the efforts of a small company like CDPR (compared with the bigger developers) to satisfy the vast majority of players is not sufficiently valued by some.

A smiling "thanks, guys" would not go amiss.

But, well, If CDPR has made one of you smile, that's GREAT!

Thnaks and congrats, CDPR and Linux users :)

Although I am not a Linux user I am all for multiplatform releases when it's possible. I hope this wave of negative energy doesn't make CDPR reconsider those attempts and keep working to help Linux users.

As the (probably only) resident Nintendo fan in these forums I know what it is like to see all the shiny toys go to the other kids in the proverbial playground, so that is where that comes from.

Top Bottom