The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition available on Linux!

+
@Licaon_Kter: I think CDPR need to realize the positive potential that Linux users offer. Unlike Windows users, Linux users are more aware of necessity of properly reporting bugs. It's vital for any free software project. The corporate "black box" approach on the other hand discourages any community feedback. Or at least intends it to be one direction only. Some companies however realize that and use community feedback for mutual benefit. For example Valve has open bug trackers for a number of their games: https://github.com/ValveSoftware

@Marcin Momot: CDPR should take note of that.

Some movement: http://steamdb.info/app/20920/history/ hope, dreams, stuff...

I think CDPR need to realize the positive potential that Linux users offer.
Yeah really? Try this:

In the Prologue there is a bug regarding the way cutscenes are made, basically the cutscene will show Geralt dressed with some jacket:
1. if one has the game imported and does not have the roche_jacket-DLC it will be the Raven jacket;
2. if one has the roche_jacket-DLC installed it will be that jacket.

The problems are 2 fold:
1. In _many_ cutscenes in the prologue Geralt is shown with that jacket even if that jacket is NOT worn but in my inventory, meaning while I have the Raven jacket on before the cutscene, in the cutscene and in game after it gets swapped to theroche_jacket-DLC out of my control.
2. The game creates that jacket even if that jacket is NOT in my inventory any more, allowing me to create for free a new jacket ( works with the magic pants too ) that I can later sale.

Pics:
1. Drop jacket before cutscene ( http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/3844/w2prolblueexploit1.jpg )
2. Cutscene with NEW jacket ( http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/8995/w2prolblueexploit2.jpg )
3. Pick the old jacket off the floor ( http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/5043/w2prolblueexploit3.jpg )
4. Profit ( http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/2605/w2prolblueexploit4.jpg )

Reported on 25-07-2011, Jędrzej Kwapiński of Tech Support said "Thank you for the feedback, I'll send it to our programmers :)" , can you tell me if this is fixed in your game ( Linux, WINE, whatever )? Because it ain't in my version 3.4.1, and I know why this happens, but at the same time why do they have to make me rage and change my _desired_ armor after _every_ freaking cutscene in the Prologue, I like the Raven armor, that's why I put it on in the first place dammit.

This also happens on the Windows version, and presumably also on the Xbox and Mac versions. If you're going to criticise CDPR for not fixing every minor bug, that is, of course, your privilege, but maybe right now it's more important for them to concentrate on the major ones that are stopping Linux users from playing the game.

Last edited:
@Dragonbird: Yes, that was not so bothering (not more than mismatching swords models used in cut scenes in TW1). I don't think it's an indicator that they'll ignore serious performance problems which are present in this Linux release.

Once again CDPR is innovating!

I myself a linux user in a level where the only reason i switch on windows is to play games. Many times when i am having a conversation with people about linux they alleays ask me " well...ok what game can you play on linux".

Its funny now that you can answear: "Well...one of the best RPGs of all times... The Witcher!!!"

Congrats !

The Linux version of the game contains all off the previously released updates and content, so gamers can enjoy the most complete version right from the start. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is available on Steam.
Any news on usercontent/RedKit support?

Any news on usercontent/RedKit support?

Is that support platform specific, and if so, why? I'd expect add-ons and mods to be platform independent. If they aren't, there is something wrong with design of the game. Or you mean running Redkit and related tools themselves on Linux? Do they work in Wine by the way?

Last edited:
Unfortunately no such plans for now.
Like Gilrond said, while I don't yet care for RedKit to work ( did not bother to test in WINE ) the usercontent works as expected in WINE, so why not update the so called Linux version to the latest wrapped Windows EXE that enables usercontent then?

the so called Linux version

*Grumbles* When I hear something get phrased like this, it say's to me. "Oh you did such a half-assed job I wish you hadn't done it at all."

Last edited:
I mean, it's not really a native "Linux version". I think that's where the phrasing comes from. It's really just the Windows version with some libs wrapped, it's not even the same amount of work Valve did. It's not that support isn't appreciated, just that there's a bit of a let down.

And you shouldn't encourage developers to take their ball and go home when people are unhappy with a product or part of a product. People want products to improve or they wouldn't say anything at all. We complain out of love!

Like Gilrond said, while I don't yet care for RedKit to work ( did not bother to test in WINE ) the usercontent works as expected in WINE, so why not update the so called Linux version to the latest wrapped Windows EXE that enables usercontent then?

What is the architecture of RedKit mods? They require modified binaries and dynamic objects? The normal way of making mods is usually using some system independent package of maps / models / images / audio / video etc. plus some kind of scripting mechanism (Lua is popular for that and is even used in Witcher 1 if I'm not mistaken). Interpreter for the scripts has to be built into the game executable itself, and as such should work on all platforms. I guess RedKit doesn't follow that method?

Last edited:
I did not delve into that, just used some texture replacements, but it should not matter.

This is actually funny, the "almost Linux version" uses the Windows EXE yet it's not the latest one by .1 or .1.1 version? FFS

Another update from them: https://github.com/KillaW0lf04/The-Witcher-2-Issues/issues/1#issuecomment-44976583

We are looking into the performance issues as a serious task, as obviously this will affect any other Linux games we do as well as Witcher 2. Despite various claims made, we want to get the best performance we can!

We will confirm support for AMD's fglrx driver when they have shipped a non-beta release that allows the game to run correctly, though it does seem that the 14.4 rev2 driver largely addresses this. On my personal machine with a Radeon HD 7750, I get an ASIC hang with this driver after playing for roughly half an hour - so I am currently hesitant to "officially recommend" it.

On my machine, using PlayOnLinux, Witcher 2 performance is worse than our port is. However, with the CSMT patch, it does appear to be much better. We are looking into why this is, and suspect that the issue comes down to poor multithreading in GL currently, which is exactly what CSMT avoids by making all GL operations occur on a single thread.

Witcher 2 is making use of multi threaded Direct3D 9 support, and we are implementing this in eON by using shared GL contexts, one for each thread. The context share resources such as textures and vertex buffers. We are investigating whether this turns out to be a big performance hit or not.

With 98 awards garnered, including several Best Of and Game of The Year awards, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings makes its debut on Linux, bringing an unforgettable fantasy adventure to RPG fans on the platform. Spinning a mature and thought-provoking tale of monster hunter Geralt of Rivia, the game offers some of the most iconic and recognizable moments in contemporary RPG history.
And still as broken 1 month later? And still in "radio silence"? :-|

@Licaon_Kter: I suspect that Virtual Programming are working on some serious redesign of their wrapper (as they wrote, they want to make it similar to CSMT in Wine). As well as switching to proper fullscreen. So I think they should take their time, rather than rush out another inefficient solution.

Last edited:
Top Bottom