The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition available on Linux!

+
Don't know, actually the latest stable release on Steam (547552) works a lot worse then the previous stable one. Don't know why,
And one strange thing: if I set "High Performance" in the OpenGL option within the Nvidia panel on Linux, I get worse fps too. Much worse. Like... 6 to 9 fps.

Guest 2091327

@shishimaru1000: How is it working with latest Nvidia drivers? Before the game was simply crashing on start for me, but now it runs fine.

You seem to be on top of the Linux version, so... I got the game recently on GOG (late, I know), running Linux Mint 17.1. The game itself runs quite well on my rig (Nvidia 770 card), but I'm having problems with some mods, specifically the Enhanced Mod Compilation (http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/696/?). I've written a bit about it on the mod's Git page: https://github.com/QuietusPlus/EMC-Stock/issues/1. Is it really true that it's basically impossible to get this mod (and some others, like FCR) working on the Linux version? That sucks! :(

The reason I started mucking about with all this modding business was that it was really hard to see the remains of some monsters in the forest outside Flotsam, so auto loot would come in handy (and bodies staying longer, and medallion use more frequently), and it's pretty frustrating to have to check the wiki for benefits of the 2nd level of talents due to the game not showing this.

Kind of ironic that I got RedKit working seemingly fine through PlayOnLinux, but mods created with it doesn't work.

@Pangaea666: I used some mods which don't depend on Redkit. Redkit mods however are impossible to use with the Linux version. CDPR did a poor job there, or rather they didn't pay VirtualProgramming to do that job.

Regarding Wine, I never tried using REDkit from it. If you are saying mods don't work in Wine with REDkit - I suppose it's an issue.

Guest 2091327

@Pangaea666: I used some mods which don't depend on Redkit. Redkit mods however are impossible to use with the Linux version. CDPR did a poor job there, or rather they didn't pay VirtualProgramming to do that job.

Regarding Wine, I never tried using REDkit from it. If you are saying mods don't work in Wine with REDkit - I suppose it's an issue.

Do you know exactly why it's impossible (?) to get some mods to work on a Linux system? For instance, I've no idea where the base_scripts.dzip file has gone on Linux. Have Virtual Programming included this into one of their files? That would make it very hard to get mods to work on Linux :( From what I can tell, XML file changes work fine on Linux, but not script changes. It's peculiar that all the dzips are there -- except base_scripts.dzip.

I haven't tried to run the game via Wine, only RedKit (because there isn't a Linux version of it). RedKit itself appears to work fine via wine (or PlayOnLinux in my case), so my comment was just about that really -- that it's kind of ironic that the tool that can be used to make mods with works on Linux, but not the mods themselves. Then again, for all I know the game itself runs better through wine than the wrapped "Linux" version. Haven't tried it.

This mod business is quite frustrating though, and it would be grand if there was some way to get more mods working on Linux. For a company that embraces DRM Free-ness, it's very disappointing there is so poor Linux support, and modding support for that matter. Still no sign of Witcher 3 for Linux, which means I'm unlikely to buy it, given that I've finally tossed off the Microsoft chains, and this time for good.

I think REDkit essentially replaces the stock game binary with a modified one, which allows loading complex REDkit mods (like extra adventures). The stock binary remains oblivious to them. Only simpler hook mods (i.e. ones that override default behavior) can be used with it.

And CDPR / VP never made that modified binary for Linux.

Guest 2091327

I think REDkit essentially replaces the stock game binary with a modified one, which allows loading complex REDkit mods (like extra adventures). The stock binary remains oblivious to them. Only simpler hook mods (i.e. ones that override default behavior) can be used with it.

And CDPR / VP never made that modified binary for Linux.

Does this mean that mods with script changes won't work on Linux, even if RedKit hasn't been actively used when making that mod? If we could somehow overwrite or replace script files, I hope it's still possible to get mods working on Linux -- but the issue is that I have no idea where the script files are stored on Linux. For some reason base_scripts.dzip isn't included on a stock installation, and putting a modded file into the folder doesn't take effect. I'm thinking about the Enhanced Mod Compilation again, because it hasn't been developed using RedKit, yet doesn't fully work on my end.

Some discussion here, if you're interested: https://github.com/QuietusPlus/EMC-Stock/issues/1

Kind of feels like swinging in the dark without a Cat potion :(

I guess it's like above. If that script / mod replaces stock functionality and follows regular plug-in method supported by the stock game, it would work. But from what I've heard, when you use REDkit, the game launcher includes some UI to use mods. I.e. the binary somehow is informed about those mods explicitly. Therefore stock binary can't support them.

I'm not an expert on Witcher mods however. You better ask those who know more.

The bug tracker for Linux version of The Witcher 2 was shut down by Virtual Programming. I suppose because Peter Mulholland who was running it has left the company.

Am I gonna get shot down here for asking for a ps4 port lol. Yeah I have a pc that can run the game, but I don't do well with keyboard and mouse, (I Have the pc version of the game to), but would love to rock it on my ps4.

Back to the topic. Mesa just got the last piece to fix the bug with black transitions in the Witcher 2. You'd need to build it from source for now, and run with:

Code:
glsl_correct_derivatives_after_discard=true

Top Bottom