The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition available on Linux!

+
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition available on Linux!

With 98 awards garnered, including several Best Of and Game of The Year awards, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings makes its debut on Linux, bringing an unforgettable fantasy adventure to RPG fans on the platform. Spinning a mature and thought-provoking tale of monster hunter Geralt of Rivia, the game offers some of the most iconic and recognizable moments in contemporary RPG history.

"We’re really pumped to be able to invite RPG fans who use Linux to the party," said Marcin Momot, Community Manager, CD PROJEKT RED. "The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is one of the greatest fantasy adventures on Linux, and I’m sure every role-playing enthusiast with a craving for some quality questing will have tons of fun playing the game!" Momot added.

The Linux version of the game contains all off the previously released updates and content, so gamers can enjoy the most complete version right from the start. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is available on Steam.

To celebrate the release, together with our partners from Valve, the studio also launched a special two days 80% off discount for The Witcher and The Witcher 2. For more details, visit Steam.

The system requirements for the game are:

(other distributions of Linux might run the game, but are not supported)

Minimum:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 25 GB HD space
Graphics: GeForce 9800 512MB, Intel integrated graphics chipsets are not supported

Recommended:
Processor: Quad Core Intel
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 25 GB HD space
Graphics: GeForce GT 640 1GB, Intel integrated graphics chipsets are not supported

Languages:
Audio: English, French, German, Polish, Russian.
Text: English, French, German, Spanish, Czech, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Chinese, Turkish.

Rating:
ESRB Mature, PEGI 18, USK 16

Special notice:
Together with AMD, we are working to bring Radeon™ graphic cards support for the game but, at this moment, linux gamers using AMD hardware will not be able to launch The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. We will issue a press statement when the drivers are ready.

This is just great, literally for ALL gamers. Now I hope the first game gets on linux too, and TW3 also comes in on Mac and Linux eventually sooner after the major release. Complete package for all :D

@Volsung and @Gilrond must be celebrating so hard right about now.

That's a great development, but I'll celebrate when DRM-free release will come out :) May be GOG can make it available as an add-on until they'll roll out official Linux support?

Is it available only on steam, or is there also gog version?

GOG didn't enable Linux sales yet. See above - may be they can offer it as a bonus for those who already own the Windows version for now?

Together with AMD, we are working to bring Radeon™ graphic cards support for the game but, at this moment, linux gamers using AMD hardware will not be able to launch The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. We will issue a press statement when the drivers are ready.

This is just great! CDPR helping improving Linux graphics drivers - surely a reason to celebrate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, ok. My question is: How is the performance of linux version in comparison to windows version?

@Sirnaq: Some already report it's lower than the Windows version on Windows. I'd wait for more feedback though, it can be driver specific. Another point of comparison is with Windows version running in Wine (that's what I used so far).

Last edited:
So what with the owners of the "box" version of the game? They have to buy game second time on STEAM to get linux version or it will be available to download?

So what with the owners of the "box" version of the game? They have to buy game second time on STEAM to get linux version or it will be available to download?

Gog announced not too long ago that they'll include Linux support soon. I guess you should wait until they have that and use the free gog backup copy you get. If you don't want to wait, you'll need to purchase the Steam version, it seems.

As far as i know there is no retail mac version so i suspect it will be no different this time around. I will buy steam version depending on performance of of tw2 on linux.

I bought this steam version, to show my support... I will not play it soon dough, because I have no time and I have a radeon card...
Also I got the GOG version when the game first came out and I am still happy for it (and finished the game about 3 times...)

Hooooray!

I hope it also means that there will be a Linux version of TW3 one day ;) Preferably closer to the release, of course.

Last edited:
A tidbit from developers who ported TW2 to Linux (source: Steam forums, I guess these developers are from Virtual Programming? Or are they from CDPR?):

jaycee1980 [developer] 4 minutes ago
The current AMD Catalyst driver contains a problem which stops the game from running. AMD have already fixed the problem, and the fix will be in the next driver release.

Intel is not supported simply because the driver performance is currently insufficient to run the game well enough. It will run, but the framerate is not good.

The open source Nouveau and Radeon drivers are simply not feature complete enough to run the game. Witcher 2's RED Engine is making full use of OpenGL 3.2 features.

And some heads up from Linux gamers - a review of Linux / Steam version of TW2 is coming to GOL soon: http://www.gamingonlinux.com
Hopefully some performance details will be shared as well.

Last edited:
I still have no Linux binary.
I tried 5 different download servers and checked the files many times. Something is going wrong here.
In My Witcher 2 Folder there a only a "PCcooked" folder. no binarys, no other stuff.

Top Bottom