The Witcher 2 Runes (Spoilers)

+
The Witcher 2 Runes (Spoilers)

Recently CDPR has released several posters including the riders of the wild hunt.
One of them depicts what appears to be sorcerer type seen below

If anyone remembers the gargoyle quest from The witcher 2 you had to deactivate runes in order to get treasure and loot. In the end you will receive a silver sword of Aramil if I remember correctly. Geralt starts narrating about the sword and it's connection to the Wild Hunt it when you pick it up.If you look closely at the background of the poster you can see exactly these runes as they appeared in the witcher 2. It's pretty neat don't you think.

I too am wondering if this character is really who I think it is. The book readers might know what I am saying. :listen:

I too am wondering if this character is really who I think it is. The book readers might know what I am saying. :listen:

Avalla'ch, probably, too powerful for Geralt to fight with him one on one (remember fight with Vilgefortz in Tor Lara). But who knows.

Avalla'ch, probably, too powerful for Geralt to fight with him one on one (remember fight with Vilgefortz in Tor Lara). But who knows.
I doubt it. Avallac'h is NOT a warrior and NOT a member of the Wild Hunt. He is actually the "good" part of the Aen Elle, the opposite of Eredin in quite some way. Ciri herselft described them as light and dark, good and bad. The are two sides of the same medal with Avallac'h wanting to convince Ciri with arguments and Eredin wanting to convince her by violence and pure force. Of course both are elves who really despise human beings but it's definitely not Avallac'hs way to ride with the Red Riders and to bring terror to the world. It's a little bit hard to describe but he sees the Aen Elle as natural crown of the creation who will succeed anyway while Eredin wants to make sure with the sword. We don't know for sure who killed Auberon though (my guess is Avallac'h and not Eredin...)...

Of course CDPR could have changed his character but that would imo be sad. His character is way too complex and interesting to make him a simple "bad" enemy and part of the Wild Hunt. I rather see him as someone who is involved in a more sophisticated way in the story like he appears in the book in the scene in which he talks to Geralt about the prophecy. In that scene he actually helped Geralt to rescue his companions...

Last edited:
This "sorcerer" is probably the mysterious figure in "Sword of Destiny" trailer. He's either an Aen Elle ( Avallac'h being only probable option so far ) or someone with elder blood gene ( Aramil comes to mind ) as they can both use magic and travel across worlds.

This "sorcerer" is probably the mysterious figure in "Sword of Destiny" trailer. He's either an Aen Elle ( Avallac'h being only probable option so far ) or someone with elder blood gene ( Aramil comes to mind ) as they can both use magic and travel across worlds.
Why is Avallac's the only probable Aen Elle? Every Aen Saevherne is able to perform magic and Avallac'h is not the only one. I guess it's one of Eredin's lieutenants, a new character who will be introduced in the game... ;)

Last edited:
Why is Avallac's the only probable Aen Elle? Every Aen Elle is able to perform magic and Avallac'h is not the only one. I guess it's one of Eredin's lieutenants, a new character who will be introduced in the game... ;)
It's possible, but i don't think it's probable. I can't imagine why would one of Eredin's soldiers betray his own people and join the enemy.
As you said Avallac'h is kind of good when compared to Eredin. He might disagree with him to the degree of betraying him and joining the "good side", but pursuing his own goals in the end.

It's possible, but i don't think it's probable. I can't imagine why would one of Eredin's soldiers betray his own people and join the enemy.
As you said Avallac'h is kind of good when compared to Eredin. He might disagree with him to the degree of betraying him and joining the "good side", but pursuing his own goals in the end.
What are you talking about? In which video/screenshot is the character in the picture above fighting FOR Geralt or the "good cause"???

In the Sword of Destiny trailer he fights against Geralt so he is not a good character...

Didn't said he's fighting. He might be cooperating to some degree. Something like "Okay, i may be able to give you information that will help you against Eredin, because i don't think he's doing the right thing, but i require something in return."
I doubt he would turn his back on powerful sorcerer tied to the King of the Wild Hunt without trusting him.

Edit: Okay, mistakes were made. I forgot that duel between this person and Geralt in trailer. As you said it can't be Avallac'h because he's no warrior, nor it can be Eredin because he wears different armor as we have seen in trailers. But it still doesn't mean that masked person behind Geralt isn't Avallac'h.

Last edited:
Didn't said he's fighting. He might be cooperating to some degree. Something like "Okay, i may be able to give you information that will help you against Eredin, because i don't think he's doing the right thing, but i require something in return."
I doubt he would turn his back on powerful sorcerer tied to the King of the Wild Hunt without trusting him.

Edit: Okay, mistakes were made. I forgot that duel between this person and Geralt in trailer. As you said it can't be Avallac'h because he's no warrior, nor it can be Eredin because he wears different armor as we have seen in trailers. But it still doesn't mean that masked person behind Geralt isn't Avallac'h.
Ah ok, but I still don't know which picture you mean with "that masked person behind Geralt"...do you have a source? I'm a bit confused right now tbh... ;)

Ah ok, but I still don't know which picture you mean with "that masked person behind Geralt"...do you have a source? I'm a bit confused right now tbh... ;)

He means this guy:

I for one highly doubt the person behind Geralt has anything to do with the Wild Hunt.

He means this guy:

I for one highly doubt the person behind Geralt has anything to do with the Wild Hunt.
Ah, THIS guy, thanks...

I share your opinion. I don't think this guy is attached to the Wild Hunt or the Aen Elle (he looks competely different than them) but I'm also curious who he might be... ;)

I think masked guy is Cynthia. Look at the outfit:

The outfit seems to be similar but why should a Nilfgaardian spy fight for Geralt? Possible but not too probable imo...
@scratcherpen
Hm, unlikely imo. Ciri never had a problem to show off her scar and if she really had to hide she would stay below deck or her face would be altered by illusionary magic ...

My personal guess is that it's a new character in Witcher 3. I mean we all love the book characters but it's obvious that CDPR will come up with some of their own, new characters as well. ;)

Last edited:
The outfit seems to be similar but why should a Nilfgaardian spy fight for Geralt? Possible but not too probable imo...

Why wouldn't a Nilfgaardian mage/spy be working alongside Geralt?
It is clearly Emhyr that informs Geralt that Ciri has returned, and he is the one "officially" sending him after her. So I would guess he would send one of his spies along with Geralt, just to be safe. Why would Emhyr trust Geralt anyway?

Sorry for being way off topic.

Nice to see they're making their own runes and not just using the Futhark, as that's a bit overused in fantasy. I suppose they could also use Celtic Ogham, but that's a bit boring compared to good runework.

Top Bottom