The Witcher 2 Sold Over 2.2 Million Copies?

+
The Witcher 2 Sold Over 2.2 Million Copies?

Just saw the news on N4G, I am quite excited to know that they sold over 2.2 Million, I currently own 2 copies one on GoG and one on Steam (recent holiday sales), but I still think its not enough - this game deserves twice those numbers. A masterpiece like this deserves at least around 4 Million sales. I hope that the Witcher 3 sells over 5 Million.

How many copies do you own? :D/>

Original Article: http://thenexusnews.com/the-witcher-2-has-sold-over-2-2-million-units/853492/
N4G: http://n4g.com/news/1151861/the-witcher-2-has-sold-over-2-2-million-units

I have 3 copies of each game :) yes I hope TW3 sells a lot and CDP get recognition for their work, they are the best out there today

2,2 miljon is a modest salesfigure, but that is to be expected for a game which is to say the least not mainstream.
I think if they want to survive/grow as a company they need to double that amount in order to stay as independant as possible and also be able to polish the game more ( i said polish not Polish, just in case anyone is having a go again ;) )and basically keep up with growing demands from the market.

This probably means that they have to start walking that fine line between atracting other/new players and the hardcore fanbase( who as I gathered from the forums, want gridbased inventory, isometric perspective and a zylex release LOL ).

I am actually well pleased with this developer not necesarrily because they listen to fans I find that irrelevant, but that they operate from a common sense perspective and not corporate culture ( that is strangeling Bioware at the moment)and love for creating a good game.
Hell it is even a company I probably enjoy working for :)

2.2 Million copies sold is amazing! Though they deserve another 5 million copies on top of that, I know this is unrealistic since the game is no where near mainstream but the game is praiseworthy. It's one of my favorite games I own a Premium edition :)

I would say that TW2 has become quite mainstream in the gaming community. For casual gamers not as much.

(GT)

Just look at the difference in the number of views Cyberpunk teaser and CGI trailer with Letho on the ship.
Cyperpunk offers great opportunities for CDPR. I hope they do not screw up and used it 100%.

The Witcher has sold very well, if we take into account its specifics.

For English-speaking people looks like this:

- The game is based on the novels by an unknown writer, which in addition there is still no one who officially translated. It shows ignorance of publishers, which they have for the culture and artists from outside of their own backyard.

- A strange title that have yet to learn. I remember when I first read short story is also the term "Wiedźmin", which invented Sapkowski seemed silly. Now I think that is pretty cool, but in Polish, because there are no negative associations and combinations. Of course, everyone knows that it comes from the word "wiedźma" (witch), but that's all. In English, however, will always have a bit of a strange combination. I do not know English, so I'm probably wrong. But in Polish suffix "min" has no application. However, in English, the suffix "er" builds everything. If so we have the word "bitch", and we add "er" we have someone who likes and uses the services of this bitch :)/> If there is the word "witch" and add "er" who cares get?

- Polish writer, a Polish book, Polish developer, some Slavic references in the game. And as you know, for people in the world, Poland is not associated at all, or if they have any idea about Poland is rather negative, usually stereotyped.

Many in Poland thought that The Witcher has no chance up for sale in the world. Therefore, the current sales and recognition for The Witcher is a very good result.

So CDPR responded to the challenges posed by Witcher.
Now I'm afraid of one. Is CDPR meet the very different challenges posed by Cyberpunk.

I wish they (CDPR) did not screw up the Witcher 3, when they will be excited about Cyberpunk, and all the forces and resorting to the best people working on Cyberpunk. I wish that they did not take The Witcher 3 with neglect.

TW3 will come out before the Cyberpunk, so any slip on The Witcher 3 also have a negative impact on Cyberpunk. People reception it this way: "The Witcher 3 is a failure, so Cyberpunk will be shit too."

You have to remember how many developers could suck in thirds of their games. In fact, there are so many examples ... "The first and second were great, but the third is a failure!"

The third game is an attempt to bridge the gap from hardcore to casual gamers thus if it works would rake in huge amount of sales and money.

thelostdunmer said:
The third game is an attempt to bridge the gap from hardcore to casual gamers thus if it works would rake in huge amount of sales and money.

I hope not. Any particular reason for thinking they'd like to attract casual gamers?

thelostdunmer said:
- A strange title that have yet to learn. I remember when I first read short story is also the term "Wiedźmin", which invented Sapkowski seemed silly. Now I think that is pretty cool, but in Polish, because there are no negative associations and combinations. Of course, everyone knows that it comes from the word "wiedźma" (witch), but that's all. In English, however, will always have a bit of a strange combination. I do not know English, so I'm probably wrong. But in Polish suffix "min" has no application. However, in English, the suffix "er" builds everything. If so we have the word "bitch", and we add "er" we have someone who likes and uses the services of this bitch :)/>/>/> If there is the word "witch" and add "er" who cares get?

Interesting idea, but a bitcher would be someone who bitches, not someone who likes bitches. So a witcher would be someone who witches. I'm not sure why though, but the connotation I had for the word, before knowing anything about the books/game, was "someone who hunts witches". I expected Geralt to chase down magic-users, not monsters.

You have to remember how many developers could suck in thirds of their games. In fact, there are so many examples ... "The first and second were great, but the third is a failure!"

Ah, but we also have second album syndrome, which they've got past. :)/>

thelostdunmer said:
God, I hope not. See DA2.

dragonbird said:
Interesting idea, but a bitcher would be someone who bitches, not someone who likes bitches. So a witcher would be someone who witches. I'm not sure why though, but the connotation I had for the word, before knowing anything about the books/game, was "someone who hunts witches". I expected Geralt to chase down magic-users, not monsters.

There's a word, Vedmak, in Russian (Vidmak in Ukrainian) for a male witch. As nocny points out, I wouldn't have any idea why Sapkowski would give it an -in inflection in Polish except for the need to avoid the feminine -a, but it's a good enough indication that this particular fantasy of a male witch (whose calling is protecting people and livestock, driving off witches, and lifting curses, but who is shunned and thought to be in league with the Devil) comes from a foundation in Eastern European culture.

The British equivalent is called a "cunning man". Unlike supposed witches, though, "cunning folk" were generally reckoned harmless or valuable members of the community (they were often the closest thing a village had to a physician). They weren't outlawed until the Witchcraft Act of 1735 (which dismissed witchcraft as nonexistent, and banned claims that one could perform acts of magic as fraud against the credulous).

Anyway, 2.2 million sales for a game featuring a character and stories little known in the West, written by an author with no following in the English-language press, is quite an achievement and worthy of kudos. It makes one look forward to what this crew can bring to the third game of the Witcher and the first of Cyberpunk.

nocny :
Just look at the difference in the number of views Cyberpunk teaser and CGI trailer with Letho on the ship.
Cyperpunk offers great opportunities for CDPR. I hope they do not screw up and used it 100%.

Reply:
The Witcher 3 views will be that much as well . You can watch the views of The Witcher 2 internal video (Which was first video) on youtube like more than 2,xxx,xxx views . The Witcher 3 will have more views which means more sales .

Top Bottom