The Witcher 2 vs the witcher 3

+
The Witcher 2 vs the witcher 3

After playing the witcher 3 and absolutely loving it, I decided to try out its predecessor.
and after finishing the witcher 2, I have to say the witcher 3 is better in almost every way

except for one.

never before in a game have I seen such incredible looking armor, I mean every set just looks spectacular, especially the dark mode set, which r the best I have ever seen in a game, though some did share a similar model. From the ban ard armor to the thyssen armor just magnificent.
While I dunno who designed the majority of the armor in the witcher 3, cuz they need to be fired. If it's not broke why fix it. Other than the kae mohren set and the feline and ursine. Everything looks like a jesters costume, or makes geralt look like he has a beer belly

I just can't imagine people giving a thumbs up those!

And it's not like they just don't exist cuz eskel and lambert both sport great looking armor, that geralt could wear in 2 but not in 3

The npc's were significantly more detailed also, but open world. I also thought the voice acting of triss and dandelion at least was a million times better in witcher 2.. even though they sound like the same actors. And the wither 2 didn't spend 1/2 its time trying to be skyrim. But that's unfair and a bit silly ;)

Eh...both yes and no, to that.
There are some that you wouldn't caught me dead wearing it, but some are absolutely amazing...like Temerian set.
Still way better than majority of armor designs from games such as Terra and the like
"Trying to be Skyrim"...seriously, people should "try" and play other open world games before considering about making these kind of assumptions.

Last edited:
I played Witcher 1 and 2 right before Wild Hunts release, I sucked at the 1st one but really enjoyed the second game. I actually said to my friend (I didn't know that Witcher 3 was open-world at that point) "This game is fucking amazing, although it does feel like this game would become even better if it was openworld. that's all that's missing"
The only real gripe I have with Witcher 3 is that Death March is a bit easier than Dark was in W2. But I haven't gotten into a NG+ yet, so maybe that'll make it a bit tougher.

Witcher 2 story is far more deep and complex. And that's what I loved. I also loved the music, especially the flotsam soundtrack. Magnificent.
Also the foliage was more detailed and the lighting system was 10 times better in Witcher 2.

Witcher 2 story is far more deep and complex. And that's what I loved. I also loved the music, especially the flotsam soundtrack. Magnificent.
Also the foliage was more detailed and the lighting system was 10 times better in Witcher 2.

However Witcher 2 Geralt was far too politically involved, yes he had been dragged into such things before, Kings and Queens had tried to use him before, ala-Calanthe, But he always kept to his principles that he is not a pawn to be used for political gain.

He cannot run off and chase every political criminal in the north.

After 2, he ran off into the wilderness because he needed to find Yen, he was done with the fate of kingdoms and empires from that point onwards.

It's extremely OOC for Geralt to jump back into the political mire that was TW2's style of storytelling, and as such it went back to its roots, a game based massively on folklore and fairytale, I much prefer this, as it much more closely resembles the books style of storytelling.

How come TW2 armor is better?
1. The Vran armor from TW2 is too similar with masrercrafted ursine armor.
2. The raven armor is similar to temerian dlc and wolven armor.
3. Soldier plate armor from TW2 is almost the same that Redanian soldiers wear but without the neckguard.
4. Temerian & Kaedweny footsoldiers wore nothing special really.
5. Nilfgaardian plate is the same in both games.
6. The worst looking armors in TW3 are what the witch hunters are wearing, and some low level early game gambesons.

Story wise, TW2 was more tight and consistent.
But as an overall game i enjoyed the freedom TW3 gave me to explore the world at my pace.

For the armors.. some are really cool (ursine,temerian... ) but the ''random' armors are often ugly and sometime bulky or strangely coloured.
TW2 armors were mostly better.

Story wise, TW2 was more tight and consistent.
But as an overall game i enjoyed the freedom TW3 gave me to explore the world at my pace.

For the armors.. some are really cool (ursine,temerian... ) but the ''random' armors are often ugly and sometime bulky or strangely coloured.
TW2 armors were mostly better.
I actually find it a plus that CD project RED have gone for more realistic armors, sure some of them might make Geralt look overweight. But (I think) armors looked like that during the middle ages. And there is a significant variaty of armors in Witcher 3.

I always resent the pot-bellied look cliché for Geralt in the griffin armor.

I for one like it. Don't you realise that in order to actually protect you, that's what armor looks like? Look it up in medieval history museums.
The griffin armor looks the most real of all. None of that wolven (although, I'll fully admit it looks the coolest) or bear or cat stuff makes any sense...

It's extremely OOC for Geralt to jump back into the political mire that was TW2's style of storytelling, and as such it went back to its roots, a game based massively on folklore and fairytale, I much prefer this, as it much more closely resembles the books style of storytelling.

I didn't mind killing killing monsters but as fas as story telling and story content Witcher 3 was mediocre at most. Only the baron part was written exceptionally.
Plus in the books, Geralt is always involved in politics. Or at least they force him to be involved.

Plus in the books, Geralt is always involved in politics. Or at least they force him to be involved.

Are we reading the same books?

Geralt only gets involved in anything if it involves protecting someone he likes E.G. The Bridge over the Yaruga or someone he deems to be the innocent party E.G. Duny or Dudu.

He strictly doesn't do things for others political gain, just re-read 'A Matter of Price' and you'll see.

As for the story of TW3 it's highly subjective it seems.

I always resent the pot-bellied look cliché for Geralt in the griffin armor.

I for one like it. Don't you realise that in order to actually protect you, that's what armor looks like? Look it up in medieval history museums.
The griffin armor looks the most real of all. None of that wolven (although, I'll fully admit it looks the coolest) or bear or cat stuff makes any sense...

Ahem... making pirouettes,spins and leap attacks in the middle of combat don't make much sense either but... this is The Witcher Universe, things don't necessarily need to be historically correct, fortunately i would add. Besides, usually witchers wear tight and light armors to be fast, not to protect themselves.

Last edited:
Ahem... making pirouettes,spins and leap attacks in the middle of combat don't make much sense either but... this is The Witcher Universe, things don't necessarily need to be historically correct, fortunately i would add. Besides, usually witchers wear tight and light armors to be fast, not to protect themselves.
No, but instead of going wild like other RPG's set in this era (Skyrim, World of Warcraft) Most of the weapons and armors in this game are reasonable. And such attention to detail adds (for me) significant value to the game. I mean, have you had a look at the swords? They're so thin, so sharp, so correctly shapen. THEY'RE NOT PADDLES : DDD
PS. I do think that spinning and jumping while fighting is a viable strategy if you're as quick and nimble as a Witcher : D

Overally, I think TW3 offers a bigger "fun factor" as far as gameplay goes, but I must admit that the previous games will always have a reserved, special place in my heart that TW3 failed to reach in my case. TW3's story tbh dissapointed me a great deal and not only for it's obvious flaws that I'm sure others have pointed out a thousand times before me (broken characters, one sided villians, unintriguing, cliched storyline and overally the game felt like it came from a different pen..). The open world also destroyed it's intensity and pacing and limited the possible weight of players choices.
Locations lose their uniqueness when one village is much like the other. Which is fairly realistic, but we all know the downfalls of realism and large scales in videogames.. To cut it short, when I will feel like getting sucked into a good story with a carefully crafted world, characters and their motivations, I will always prefer turning on the first two Witchers.

No, but instead of going wild like other RPG's set in this era (Skyrim, World of Warcraft) Most of the weapons and armors in this game are reasonable. And such attention to detail adds (for me) significant value to the game. I mean, have you had a look at the swords? They're so thin, so sharp, so correctly shapen. THEY'RE NOT PADDLES : DDD
PS. I do think that spinning and jumping while fighting is a viable strategy if you're as quick and nimble as a Witcher : D

I was referring to the real world, of course a witcher could even dance the mazurka in the middle of a fight if he wanted to xD

Story-wise, TW2 is on the same level of complexity as ASOIAF novels, only packed into a much smaller scale. There are some weirdness with motivation, partly due to cut content of Dol Blathanna, and in-game timeline issues (everything about Letho's movements, for example) but as a whole it is a masterpiece.
The rest of the game pretty much revolves around its main plat, and, believe it or not, it is exactly as I like it. For me TW2 is a masterpiece of RPG story-telling, and of a kind of a game when story-telling is a focal point.

TW3 has enough terrific story-telling moments, and some story-arcs are the best in history of video games. But very under-developed political plot in Novigrad, underdeveloped relations between major characters (Ciri and Yen, for example), and the ending, really harm this otherwise terrific story.

Despite some problems with the plot, the open world of TW3 is superbly executed, and the main story-line is integrated so well, with a wast majority of secondary quest-lines connected to it in some way, that in my mind, it sets an exemplar for all RPG games developers to follow.

So even as is, TW3 is a (flawed) masterpiece, and in a more conventional sense than TW2.

I have to agree on this one though, and many do as well that the witcher 3 doesn't have much good looking armor, and if something which I would like to see an addition personally is to be able to customize the armor to certain extent or at least.

Top Bottom