The Witcher 3: A Disappointing Game Suffering from too many Problems.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes TW3 is a disappointing game, I have finished it and now have to wait for the Expansions ::shock::shock:

Yes TW3 is a disappointing game, I have finished it and now have to wait for the Expansions ::shock::shock:

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. Likewise with trolls.

So, the game is so disappointing that you are now waiting for the expansions. If you are going to troll then at least be logical.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. Likewise with trolls.

So, the game is so disappointing that you are now waiting for the expansions. If you are going to troll then at least be logical.
or rather than a duck you know sarcasm

Also, rewards are pivotal in an RPG where quest lines are concerned. Believe it or not, this is a video game not a movie; people don't do quests just because they like to hear a character's voice or see a particular cut-scenes. RPGs are built on loot, XP, that awesome armor you might get or a particularly good weapon. And I don't mean "50 XP Received!" at level 20.

Well. that's your opinion. I personally don't care much about loot, I'm all in for a good and well-written story. You don't like it, don't play it. Period.

Tuco

Forum veteran
I wouldn't describe TW3 as a "disappointing game" by any stretch of the imagination, but I do think it has some flaws that should be addressed in future expansions and sequels.
Hilariously enough, not a single one of the things you listed is what I'd describe as part of the problems I'd love to see addressed.

1) Never had any particular problem with quests, but even if that was the case it would be statistically trivial given the massive amount of them.

2) Flying enemies are awesome and they are an hightlight of the game, not a flaw.

3) It's a horse, it carries you around. COntrols may be a bit clumsy and the goddamn beast has clearly some occasional problems with pathfinding when you call it, but it does what it's supposed to do and serves the required purpose.

4) Can''t say I ever had any issue with it. Mostly because when enemies are there, I usually do want to fight. And if that wouldn't be the case I could just flee, anyway?

5) There are minor UI and control problems, which while not crippling I hope to see improved over time. The combat, on the other hand, is awesome and I'm happy with it.

6) This is especially ironic to me because, while I DO think quest design has some problems at times (i.e. relying a bit too much on trackers and markers, with too much hand-holding) most of what you are listing as issues aren't issues at all, sometimes even strong points of the game ("awful flavor"? Flavor is a high point of this setting. "Little uniqueness"? The amount of diversity is almost unbelievable for a game this big. Level design? It's not even just good, it's outstanding. If it wasn't for a poor distribution of loot and items, it would be the most gratifying game world to explore to date, exactly for the unbelievable amount of details they put not just in how the scenario looks, but in how it navigates as well).

It's like you were posting from Bizarro World.

I played over 100 hours of the previous two games. This is definitely worse, not an improvement in terms of mechanics. It feels overall more sluggish, less fluid. Even picking up loot is incredibly annoying with the object placement and interactivity.

Also, rewards are pivotal in an RPG where quest lines are concerned. Believe it or not, this is a video game not a movie; people don't do quests just because they like to hear a character's voice or see a particular cut-scenes. RPGs are built on loot, XP, that awesome armor you might get or a particularly good weapon. And I don't mean "50 XP Received!" at level 20.

It doesn't do people justice debating my points and ending with "Go play your other games!." It is obvious what the intent was. And my points are perfectly valid, not only made by myself but all over the web. The game has a lot of problems and I am a fan of the Witcher. The only aspect which they paid attention to in detail is graphics and the world.

Think about it, not even the world is as open as any other sandbox game. In a Bethesda game for instance, you can take on any enemy at any time you want. Any quest whenever you feel like it.

There are no "Red Skulls" there is no quest level limit.

Horses can descend mountains very slowly, they don't just stop for no reason. Horses can traverse water, not just stop. Turning with a horse is an ordeal, and descending is almost comical as your are caught sitting down in mid air.

Flying enemies. When you have 4 sirens circling you, and one pecks at you without you being able to cast Igni or Aard because you cant move your camera up to see it diving, that's when you want to punch your screen.

Seriously, I appreciate the good points but there are very few and it is obvious you try and stand your ground because of your blind love for the game.

I see. So your opionions are valid points and anyone who disagrees with you only does so because of "blind love for the game". Yeah, that must be it. They couldn't simply have a different opinion.

Whining about the default key bindings as a major flaw when you have the option to simply rebind them kind of tells me all I need to know about you and your complaints.

Disagree.
Leveling system - ok, quest - Oooooook, combat - so-so!

just because you are bad at it, it doesnt mean it's so-so... It is possible to master it, and then it becomes quite entertaining... you just need to stop rolling around blindly hack-and-slashing like a mad person, and instead think what you are doing...

I played over 100 hours of the previous two games.

Also, rewards are pivotal in an RPG where quest lines are concerned. Believe it or not, this is a video game not a movie; people don't do quests just because they like to hear a character's voice or see a particular cut-scenes.

this post is just hilarious! You state you don't like going through cut scenes and what not but admit to having put 100 hours into the previous Witcher's. Did you expect the game to change in this regard? as W2 had its share of cut scenes as well. You really should focus on doing a little bit of google search in your next future game purchase before you come crying on the boards as there were lots of W3 gameplay reviews weeks before the official launch date.

Last edited:
5) Clumsy layout and combat in general. Try using hot-keys (numbers on the keyboard) while you have your thumb on ALT to dodge, and spacebar to roll, and your hand is cramped on WASD. The whole combat is awfully designed.

you lost credibility here, the only problem is that you are bad, most if not all pc games have nearly same shortcut layout and it work perfectly fine ( it could be improved with alt/shifit/ctrl acting as modifier but its fine ), instead of blaming the game so harshly , learn to play

Last edited:
I will never understand why some people keep comparing the Witcher 3 to dark souls, its generally silly to compare games that do different things well and in a different manner. The last thing people should want is every rpg converging to a single game model. Dark souls does its own thing really well, but that doesn't mean other games should automatically become souls clones, we have same problem with every rpg being compared to Skyrim if they try a more open world model. Just appreciate that we get some variety and if you don't like it then play the games you do like.

Tuco

Forum veteran
Generally if you play Dark Souls and the like you're probably not going to like TW games IMO, much less TW3.
Bullshit.

I'm as much of a Dark Souls fan as it gets. In fact, I'm the person who started the petition-thing to bring it on PC.
I just have the common sense to not think every single action RPG should turn in a Souls-clone... Or count as a flaw when one doesn't.

TW3's combat, for instance, is VERY different from the Souls game, but I'd say it's remarkably good in its own (well, when it works at its best, at least).

@theinkandpen
Oh, well care to explain your point ?
For example horse..
To what do you compare this, because from all the games I have played which had horse, Witcher knocks them out. Horse feels awsome - realistic and fast.
Skyrim had the worst horse ever - slow and boring, DA:I was little better, besides Witcher best horse I think I played was in AC III (the one with Indian), haven't played Red Ded, cause I don't have PS3.
The only complain I have with W3 horse is is that jumping is not responsive and slow and you can't jump really far.

) Clumsy layout and combat in general. Try using hot-keys (numbers on the keyboard) while you have your thumb on ALT to dodge, and spacebar to roll, and your hand is cramped on WASD. The whole combat is awfully designed.
What if I told you that you can change your keybinds ?
Put dodge on RMB as it is the second most used action after striking, so it should be the most easiest to use. Signs on 1-5, you don't really need button to draw swords, so you can put those binds somewhere far. If you rebind the keys with that logic should be easy enough to use (mouse with few thumb buttons is a must have. welcome to PC gaming ?)

Won't bother to comment on the rest of your comments as it is just as :facepalm: as these two.

Witcher 3 is an awesome game. The lore, the story and the many character interactions. Very well done.

As for the combat, I think it's great! Yes, the fighting style is different from any other game - but so what? I like the high speed and have zero problems with camera angles, groups of enemies or higher leveled monsters. Combat in a fully open world will be different from combat in a game with corridors like DS anyway, out of necessity.

I think CDPR should continue down the path they're on. I find the combat in TW3 the most responsive and enjoyable of all the games thus far. It would be cool to have charged attacks, but that's about the only criticism.

Meh, its all subjective in the end. You can't say that he's wrong or right. Who cares that much really.
I had the same with Dark Souls 2, I hate it with a passion while others adore it and gave it game of the year. (Throws multiple enemies at you for sake of difficulty, can't draw one enemy at a time.... can go on for days)
So yeah, sucks you hate the game dude, For me TW3 lived up and surpassed my expectations, glad this was my last preorder.

Basically my thoughts on this thread and OP:
But the part that got me the most was this:

Awful quest design. Too many fetch quests, missing markers, little uniquness in level design and generally awful "flavour and tone" for an RPG. Sidequests give little incentive to do them, too little XP.

Last edited:
I don't really understand what's wrong with the combat ? people say it's bad, it's wrong or whatever but fail to give a solid reason why it's bad ? or what's wrong exactly ? I am having blasting fun with the combat so far. Yesterday I fought 3 high level enemies (9 - 10 levels above me) and it took over 15 mins to do so with a lot of reflex testing moments and couple of deaths but I didn't had single feeling of frustration at any single point. I think we are playing different games or some of you are spoiled by the bulky slow combat of Dark Souls/Blood Borne. Get real guys there is nothing wrong with the combat except the fact that you are failing to grasp it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom