• I need to see it in action to be sure

Votes: 294 28.6%
  • I prefer the system of TW1

Votes: 363 35.3%
  • I prefer the system of TW2

Votes: 104 10.1%

• Total voters
The word you are looking for might be challenging :secret:

Drinking potions during combat gives me a way to adopt to all kind of situations. I had to use potions more often in TW1 not to die than in TW2. The whole system felt more useful to me and in place. Honestly there was not a big need to use potions in TW2 unless forced in missions like searching the wood near Flotsam, Kairan quest, and inside the mines to see better in the pitch black dark.
:cheers:

Meh, I went to the trouble of collecting the magic moss, made the potion... then forgot to use it.
Also went to the bother of stealing the trap frame, made the trap & then forgot to use it... carried that damned thing around all game because you can't use or discard it anywhere else.

And that's one of the core issues I think Konrad is trying to resolve. I hope it works out. And props to him for thinking a bit out of the box, and having the courage to try something new.

But auto-refilling bombs is really pushing it.

Bombs and Potions threads merged.

Another thread would have been more appropriate, with a proper poll of course. But in the end that abismal poll got deleted, so...

Bear hug incoming.

Gotta give points for creativity though. Best solution ever. If you can't beat them..... "join them". Hohohoh. OK I'll stop. :p

You know what? I want EXPLOSIVE POTIONS or FLAMMABLE ONES, like molotovs!

And they must have AUTO-REFILLING to completely spam it all playthrough long!

In all seriousness, we need more info about this system, so far the idea of getting rid of hoarding is good, but having INFINITE auto-refills for bombs and potions is really strange, I just hope it won't unbalance the game and its combat system.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, we need more info about this system, so far the idea of getting rid of hoarding is good, but having INFINITE auto-refills for bombs and potions is really strange, I just hope it won't unbalance the game and combat.

I just refrain from commenting much about it, since CDPR really think this system rocks. I trust that they are able to have a more complete opinion on the matter.

I just hope it won't unbalance the game and its combat system.

I'd like to believe it won't. Think about colldowns and perhaps not being able to equip/unequip bombs during combat. This will let you think about which loadout you wish to use beforehand, and also resolves the spam issue.

I'd like to believe it won't. Think about colldowns and perhaps not being able to equip/unequip bombs during combat. This will let you think about which loadout you wish to use beforehand, and also resolves the spam issue.

Hmm, we shall see. :)

btw, please put other choices in your future polls ffs :p

btw, please put other choices in your future polls ffs :p

It was intentional, I was under the impression that we can create topics under our own conditions (so far as it isn't offensive or completely offtopic), but I am sad to realise that it isn't so. I'm not fond of the strict and intrusive censorship around here, but that's offtopic so let's not go there.

It was intentional, I was under the impression that we can create topics under our own conditions (so far as it isn't offensive or completely offtopic), but I am sad to realise that it isn't so. I'm not fond of the strict and intrusive censorship around here, but that's offtopic so let's not go there.

I think you are viewing this the wrong way. You "censored" out a valid choice for the poll, forcing people to not be able to vote, on your thread. That is cool, but do not blame the moderators for censorship, since the thread you made had really no reason of existence on its own. Since the poll was created strictly under your conditions. So if the poll is pretty much useless for the community, I don't understand why merging the two threads about potions and bombs into one that is about alchemy in general, is considered censorship, a strict and intrusive at that. But yeah we are definitely off topic. I thought I just had to say that.

Just like the crossbow and under water combat suff. I trust cdpr are making this game more fun and user-friendly than past installments.
I still have zero worries for this game, and I fully embrace the new natural evolution of change that will accomodate a wide range of players-
New & Old.
It's about player choice and the freedom to choose a variety of custom options that will work best while we are having fun:)

I'm still unsure about this new system. On the one hand, I absolutely hate mindless grinding for material, it adds nothing for me in the game. If this new system makes acquiring each new material an adventure in itself, that would make the process much deeper and more entertaining. If they also make those resources very limited, meaning you'd need to be very careful when choosing which potions to have in your arsenal and how much to spend on upgrades, that would also be good and require the player to put more thought into it.

On the other hand, it means that consumables essentially get removed. You no longer have the challenge of balancing out how much you want to spend for potions, how much for bombs, how many of each potion/bomb to make instead of others etc. That's the whole point of consumables and something that the new system strips away. You could also argue that a limited supply of potions/bombs in the game provides a bigger challenge and provides another layer - supply management. And, in theory, that would be a strong argument. The problem is, that was never the case in TW1 or TW2. You always had more than enough resources at your disposal - too many, even.

The question then becomes, what do the developers aim to achieve. What I've gathered from these interviews, and from the alchemy systems in the previous titles, is that the devs don't want to limit those resources. They don't want to limit our supply, as those items (potions in particular) are tools that witchers use all the time. The new system pushes that idea even further, trying to treat alchemy items as buffs rather than consumables, because that's how they envision them - they want the player to be using them all the time, not just on occasion. 'Cause that's what witchers do.

So, ultimately, I still need to see it in action before I can really form an informed opinion on the matter. There are too many uncertainties about the system: how rare ingredients are, how they are acquired etc.

Last edited:
I trust CDPR but I'm not sure about this Auto-Refill system. While you hunt monster or do quests you can gather some herbs and monster have some alchemy materials also. Not much of a problem, in my opinion. Played both W1 and W2 and never had problems with lack of material for bombs and potions. But, if at the the end the system is not changed and it's not good, there's always the option to mod it. (sorry for any grammatical errors. English is not my primary languange and I don't write very often)

Top Bottom