• I need to see it in action to be sure

Votes: 294 28.6%
  • I prefer the system of TW1

Votes: 363 35.3%
  • I prefer the system of TW2

Votes: 104 10.1%

• Total voters
@ReptilePZ
Wait, edibles are removed now as well?! I need those for immersion. What would be Witcher without those.

Also I think the new inventory is just great. Anything that uses squares/rectangles for items like oldschool Deus Ex:

Can we have quick slots or bind items to a number?

Only TW1 had edibles. They got rid of them in TW2.

Signs, swords and additional weapons are definitely bound to hotkeys, not sure about bombs etc. Probably one key that uses the selected equipped item, like in TW2.

@bigb131999
Konrad is right then about it. I guess I would have used potions and bombs a lot more with that system. If herbs are not useless either there is nothing to worry. After all we saw this herbalist girl in the Griffin gameplay. Everything will be okay CDPR got this.

I can already imagine the last "talent" in the alchemy tree

Perpetuum mobile
1. point: Potions and bombs refill without meditation every minute.
2. point: Potions and bombs refill without meditation every 30 seconds. Combat used potions don't affect the toxicity.

Bonus: When the Adrenaline bar is full, every chemical on Geralt explodes, dealing a massive AOE damage and his whole arsenal is automatically refilled.

Last edited:
@bigb131999
Konrad is right then about it. I guess I would have used potions and bombs a lot more with that system. If herbs are not useless either there is nothing to worry. After all we saw this herbalist girl in the Griffin gameplay. Everything will be okay CDPR got this.

Right about what? And yeah I agree

For god's sake people!! Am I really the only one who loves finishing a main quest and saying "Oh look I'm low on supplies, better go restock" and going to the market buying alcohol then riding to the area where I'll find my ingredients, appreciating the view as a ride, maybe even take a few side quests on the way, brew the potions I need then going back to the market and make the bombs I like the most (in W2 it was red haze), then go play a few mini-games and get my mind off the story a bit and just ENJOY THE FUCKING WORLD, maybe craft a new sword or upgrade my horse, then finally feeling completely relaxed, restocked and ready head to the next main quest? Seriously!! Some people here just seem to want to beat the game efficiently, how will we be able to enjoy the markets, ride around the country, handle our inventory to fit our play-style if they spoon feed you like that?? To me there is nothing better than free roaming the world with a purpose, and what purpose is better to encourage you to roam the world than making you pick ingredients from time to time, I totally agree that having that all the time would be a nuisance, which is solvable with by properly balancing merchants and ingredient abundance and also by making each potion flask have more than one dose. Enjoy the world people, immerse yourselves, that is what gaming is about anyway.

Maybe read this article to alleviate your concerns guys.

http://www.pixelitis.net/features/e3-14-interview-talking-sidequests-witcher-3-cd-projekt-red

He states that you will still need to find ingredients and recipes for each upgraded level of potions.

It also, don't hold me on this, sounds at one point like only the minor potions, that you can take mid combat, refill when your at a campfire, or fireplace, to meditate. Hopefully that's the case.
Well, a lesser evil... if this auto-refilling system will be definitive.

@Pajkes This is in reply to your post in http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-Articles-Part-2/page24?p=1348986#post1348986

What I meant with over-developed system, is that "Less complexity and challenge in one side, lets you put more in another one", meaning that balance is required many times, I'm not claiming that's what you wanted.

Lore is cool, but suspension of disbelief is also needed to enjoy games, but that's okay, we all have our different levels of lore-breaking stuff we can accept, however I don't care what other RPGs did or do, and neither should CDPR care that much, except for basic tutorials or trust in already learned systems in player's heads. I think TW3 needs freedom as much as possible to be an awesome game, and if other RPGs' designs get in the way, so be it.

Apparently this doesn't "completely destroy need to collect plants and explore the world", because you still have to do that, less, but you still need it. Aand about exploring the world, please, no gamer in TW1 or TW2 explored the world because of plants, they were all there around you all the time and in incredible numbers. The only thing different in TW1 from having unlimited potions is that you have to click more times and open up your inventory more, everything was available extremely easily, it had no challenge whatsoever. It's an interesting subject because since now in TW3, you will need less plants in general, for the game to be properly balanced, these plants will need to be much harder to get, and include challenges like monsters protecting them or quests and so on, and also exploration, but thats only if CDPR do it right.

Infinite ammo cheat, doesnt change much when you have more ammo than what you can spend already after just 3 or 4 hours of chapter 1 (TW1).

I never said it would be great, read all my post about the potion system, I always either, ask for more info to Marcin, or explain some concerns or try to guess what CDPR want to do. In fact, emotionally and accepting my deep ignorance of the subject at hand, I am kind of against refilling potions.

Look I don't care what Skyrim was like, and why is it that so many people like you constantly speak with apparent certainty that the system is meant to make the game easier? Konrad said it was to make potions a bigger and more recurrent part of the game, not to lower the difficulty or potion use. If he has a "hidden agenda" well I don't know, but we probably shouldn't just assume everything we want and start accusing people for it.

I know you weren't asking for additional features, don't worry, but you were assuming a system was being dumbed down, without knowing most of it, and you were ignoring what the devs say, so I was pointing to you that sometimes its not "dumbing down", its a re-balance. If CDPR wanted to make herb gathering more challenging and complex, or enemies way harder for example, they thought of taking away useless or "extra" things from other places for balance.

I don't want a dumbed down game either, Im a long-time player of 4X games for example, but you're interpreting things wrong imo, if i ever see signs of dumbing down, I'll be requesting arguments from CDPR in no time with my own worries and all.

For god's sake people!! Am I really the only one who loves finishing a main quest and saying "Oh look I'm low on supplies, better go restock" and going to the market buying alcohol then riding to the area where I'll find my ingredients, appreciating the view as a ride, maybe even take a few side quests on the way, brew the potions I need then going back to the market and make the bombs I like the most (in W2 it was red haze), then go play a few mini-games and get my mind off the story a bit and just ENJOY THE FUCKING WORLD, maybe craft a new sword or upgrade my horse, then finally feeling completely relaxed, restocked and ready head to the next main quest? Seriously!! Some people here just seem to want to beat the game efficiently, how will we be able to enjoy the markets, ride around the country, handle our inventory to fit our play-style if they spoon feed you like that?? To me there is nothing better than free roaming the world with a purpose, and what purpose is better to encourage you to roam the world than making you pick ingredients from time to time, I totally agree that having that all the time would be a nuisance, which is solvable with by properly balancing merchants and ingredient abundance and also by making each potion flask have more than one dose. Enjoy the world people, immerse yourselves, that is what gaming is about anyway.
Yeah, I agree!

*ahem* Actually if I finish a main/side quest and I see my bags are almost empty I panic and run away, searching for supplies and going to the shops if I'm missing something *ahem*

:wat:

That tea-bag analogy for the new system is very poor since we are talking about infinite auto-refills, presumably without any ingredients. I would actually be fine with it if it worked like real tea-bags.

Herbs and other alchemical ingredients could have repetitive usages, with a degradation property so that every time you meditate you wear the material out in order to auto-refill your stock. So when you finally use it up and the ingredients perish, there would be no more auto-refills and you would need to gather fresh ones. Of course, an option to enable/disable which consumable you want auto-refilled, and using which particular ingredients would be needed for maximum player control. And like diluted tea-bags in real life, they could take it a step further by have diminishing yields for each use, so that you would have a trade off of not having to go around and gather stuff, for weaker versions of the consumables. You can then have skills in the alchemy development tree which gives the ingredients greater durability, which would make sense as your alchemy processes become more efficient with higher expertise.

I would also like to see the return of alcohols as potion bases (as well as consumables), so that the strength of these also affect the strength of the potions. Alcohols could also work with a degradation mechanic or just have a set number of uses per bottle.

I would be perfectly fine with a system like this, especially since the whole thing would actually make logical sense. However, I don't think this is what they're doing. They seem to be shooting for a simple, infinite auto-refilling system without any hassle whatsoever. If that is the case, the gross simplification and the fact that it doesn't make sense would seriously put me off. I did like the two tier potion system mentioned in the interview. That sounds interesting.

Last edited:
I tried too, really, but I simply cannot for the love of the Mother Creatrix wrap my head around this whole auto-refilling business.

Was it really such a chore or intellectual challenge to click on the formula, have the necessary ingredients actually already locked in/preselected (with the option to swap out ingredients) and click 'Create' or push Enter?

Really?

I tried too, really, but I simply cannot for the love of the Mother Creatrix wrap my head around this whole auto-refilling business.

Was it really such a chore or intellectual challenge to click on the formula, have the necessary ingredients actually already locked in/preselected (with the option to swap out ingredients) and click 'Create' or push Enter?

Really?

I didn't like it so much, It took awhile to scroll through stuff and it was just like come on already I just want to play the game!!
Making all this stuff felt like some annoying mini game that I was forced to play. I don't really understand why people want to get lost in potion making or bomb crafting, it's so boring. i.e when Geralt meditates from day to night, the auto refill makes me think Geralt already did what he had to do to make these ready for my use.
I like it so I can keep moving with the story. It's not like we can't craft this stuff if we want to have a little extra on hand. I know I'll be too busy playing the game with swords and following my story while doing my best to not use potions unless I have to.

I didn't like it so much, It took awhile to scroll through stuff and it was just like come on already I just want to play the game!!
Making all this stuff felt like some annoying mini game that I was forced to play. I don't really understand why people want to get lost in potion making or bomb crafting, it's so boring. i.e when Geralt meditates from day to night, the auto refill makes me think Geralt already did what he had to do to make these ready for my use.
I like it so I can keep moving with the story. It's not like we can't craft this stuff if we want to have a little extra on hand. I know I'll be too busy playing the game with swords and following my story while doing my best to not use potions unless I have to.

I think the game loses the fun that way. In my opinion, gathering herbs and other materials to craft the potions/bombs/traps are a great part of the game. If you don't like to gather herbs, you can buy them. I understand they want to make potions and bombs more useful, but that is not a good way. Making more challenges and harder monster is a better way, in my opinion.

I think the game loses the fun that way. In my opinion, gathering herbs and other materials to craft the potions/bombs/traps are a great part of the game. If you don't like to gather herbs, you can buy them. I understand they want to make potions and bombs more useful, but that is not a good way. Making more challenges and harder monster is a better way, in my opinion.
Well it's a good thing they didn't take that option away from you. All I know is I almost never used traps or bombs in TW2 on my xb360 because I like my swords. The bombs and traps looked wonky and generic. As for potions, all I ever wanted was a healing potion and it never had that, I thought that was strange. No healing potions to collect, but I have to go look for shit to make potions for my sword. No thanks, I'll just stick to my runes I love those things.

Last edited:

Just because others aren't trying to play the game like its real life doesn't mean they cannot enjoy the world or become immersed in it. There is no right or wrong when it comes to immersion, it is an entirely personal experience. There are people that say that the lack of character customizable breaks their immersion. Others think voice acting breaks immersion because "reading text is more intimate". None of them wrong... until they start deriding others for not enjoying the same things they do.

some people here complain about auto-refilling potions that it will break immersion and exploration.but exploration will be balanced by searching and finding other crafting materials(for armor,swords,upgrading armors...etc),i appreciate auto-ref mechanic,it push players to use those limited items "potions and bombs" that i always keep them in my inventory waiting for tough battles.

Bombs too? I think I've hit maximum depression on this new system. I just can't get behind it at all, if there's some kind of reasoning for why these changes are being made, I either refuse to believe them or just can't see it no matter how hard I try.

It would be really nice to actually see some Gameplay/Dev Diary of how it all works in action, but I doubt that's going to happen, at least not until super close to release.

It's not going to kill the game for me (Like the removal of the inventory (Among other changes) didn't kill ME2, but it certainly was annoying to see it all just get scrapped), there's so many other important elements that make The Witcher than just the Alchemy system and I'm sure all of that is going to be top notch, but presently I am really sad about the way these changes sound.

(To clarify: I can't get behind all the auto-refilling nonsense. I do still think all the upgrade stuff sounds cool and the possibility of requiring super rare shit to make certain potions could be really interesting, but I'm just depressed about the infinite potion/bomb stuff)

Last edited:
Top Bottom