Votes: 270 26.2%
  • I need to see it in action to be sure

Votes: 294 28.6%
  • I prefer the system of TW1

Votes: 363 35.3%
  • I prefer the system of TW2

Votes: 104 10.1%

• Total voters
Cinematics aren't the whole problem, the problem is preparing before entering an area and being able to use the potions when you need them, allowing level designers to put some extra stuff between the player and the actual big fight they've prepared for, without having to worry about timer constraints. Cutscenes are only part of the issue.
Most of the time the added "extra stuff between the player and the big fight" are cinematics and dialogues because this is an story-driven game. A great example is the fight against Letho in Witcher 2, where you got a cinematic just before the fight so you had to drink potions a while back. Even if there are not cinematics or dialogues, there will probably be little fights before the "big one" and the effect of the potion won't be wasted.

I still stand by saying that the timer should just be stopped between cinematics or anything where the player has not a complete control over Geralt.

Basically, Toxicity limits the amount of potions you can take, depending on their quality. If you exceed that limit, you die.

Yeah, i meant W3. Big shame if thats not in. It was an excellent and very simple mechanic. Easy to learn, slightly difficult to master. Great effect on the gameplay.

I think it's still in.

By the way, I read "is that in at least?" entirely wrong. Twice.

:facepalm:

Last edited:
Meh. I played with FCR 1.6a and thought the 1 hour availability of consumed potions made a lot more sense than the 'few minutes' of vanilla Witcher 2 or 'drink as desired' Witcher 1 (though again I did only play that with FCR).

There were a few places where a bit of warning of transitions would have been nice. I often forget to take the Ostmurk (though it isn't *that* useful/necessary) prior to the Kayran battle, and the autosave is made *after* the last opportunity to prepare.... would be *really* nice to autosave at a good 'last fling preparation spot' instead, with the option for a manual save of the prepared state, rather than only an autosave of what cannot be changed.

An idea and alchemy in general.

You know guys, every time I play games and drink potions, they give me a boost, but after some time it magically disappears. So I have an idea. It would be great, if the potion didn't work just after you drink it. Instead, after every second the power will grow stronger, and after some time it will be declining. It would work great in the Witcher, as that is a fusion of ways of drinking potions in Witcher 1 and 2. I am looking forward to learning alchemy in Witcher 3. I hope it will look like the one in Witcher 1, with some additional effects of potions depending on their components. The worst thing in alchemy in Witcher 2 was the fact, that after looting and killing monsters you had enought components, so there was no need for looking for them in a forest. I also remember colecting vodka to make potions. Why did they abandon this? That was awesome. And if there was already an answer about it, don't condemn me. And what you think about getting addicted to stronger potions?

Last edited:
Perhaps just extending effects of all potions to 1 or 2 hours might work well enough. Or they can combine Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 potion durations in this way : You drink potion and it has this passive effect lasting for 1 to 2 hours only, not for whole day or so, and then you might activate that potion but only for once and effect won't last more than 5 - 10 minutes. IF devs must insist on this new system which seems to be lowering game difficulty a bit, in order to make game bit harder toxicity levels should be kept lower during passive phase but when gerald activates potion toxicity would increase and if player was too careless this toxicity surge might hurt or kill Gerald or cause some unwanted effects. Hmm but perhaps that would be too complicated... As for lore thingy complaints, sadly I haven't read any witcher book yet though that will soon change so I don't know but system should indeed try to be at least a bit consistent with lore if potion drinking system was elaborated in books. Also limited potion vial system in witcher 1 was restricting but interesting. Perhaps it might return but in more complex way where you should buy some sort of additional perhaps belt like vial holders that will increase potion caring limit although I must say that almost non restrictive wither 2 inventory system was not bad, especially for open world game like w3 it might be better option but that doesn't mean that wither 1 inventory system can't be improved and used in w3. As for drinking potion during combat. If this was allowed then perhaps there can be a small chance of potion malfuncion added since geralds body is not prepared/ in meditation.

Also a bit off topic, I can understand some Polish and I have seen some cd projekt red members logged in Polish section which is good but I haven't seen any staff except for main moderator here which is a bit understandable. But does Cd projekt staff even listen to opinions in international section or they listen just to Polish section ?

I can honestly say that if it works like it is described in the OP, then I actually dislike that a lot. The witcher 2 got using potions correctly. When you drink it, that's it, you get a time limit on it. I really dislike the fact that if you drink a potion you can simply use its "affect" whenever you want. That's the same exact thing as simply being able to drink a potion quickly during a fight isn't it? Meh, I'd rather they just extend the duration of potion affects, which makes a lot more sense than this.

I mean come on, once your stomach starts digesting something, there ain't much you can do about it.

Last edited:
I can honestly say that if it works like it is described in the OP, then I actually dislike that a lot. The witcher 2 got using potions correctly. When you drink it, that's it, you get a time limit on it. I really dislike the fact that if you drink a potion you can simply use its "affect" whenever you want. That's the same exact thing as simply being able to drink a potion quickly during a fight isn't it? Meh, I'd rather they just extend the duration of potion affects, which makes a lot more sense than this.
It's not the same exact thing. if you could use potions during a fight, you could choose between whatever 20 potions you have in your inventory. If you can only use the effects, you're limited to those 3 potions you chose to use some time ago when you entered the area. Now, if meditation would be limited to "safety zones" or things like that, then you need to think carefully what potions you want to take before entering the forest or cave, because there's no going back.

Mind you, I don't know if meditation will be limited this way, but if it is, it gives the decision much more weight.

As for extending the duration - the danger in that is making you overpowered. Even in the FCR for TW2, extending the duration to 60 minutes made me feel too strong and carefree. I didn't have to decide when to use potions, I didn't save them for those tough moments - I just kept using them. Unless you decide to make ingredients very rare.

I'm afraid it's nothing new, but thanks for sharing. May I also suggest that you use this thread next time you find an interesting article :)
@alyza Well, the idea behind the system is that you have to learn about what situation you're about to get yourself into. It encourages research and preperation before battle - TW2 was similar in that regard. However, in TW2 potions had a fixed amount of time of being active, so you could end up wasting the potion effect before reaching the fight you were preparing for (e.g. boss at the end of chapter 2). Now, you'll be able to active that effect when it matters, making potions more useful than they were in previous title, while still retaining that added layer of complexity that preperation prior to an encounter introduces.

Apart from the benefit of an added tactical challenge, drinking potions before instead of during battles is also more consistent with lore.

What is however completely inconsistent and illogical IMO is the fact that you can just drink them and "release" the effect later.
I mean, if I drink a potion the effect kicks in, and if the potion is "processed" by my body the effect is over.
It#s not like you can "hold" those potions in a gland somewhere in your body and then "release" them on command, that is ridiculous.

Why not do it in a way that you have to "prepare" the potions, but if you are attacked then you can quickly drink them, but only those potions that you already "prepared" (imagine Geralt prepares them and stashes them at his belt or something like that).

But "activating the effect"? Idk.... I mean yeah, one could argue that those potion effects are only "activated" by adrenaline. But then again, you do not HAVE to activate them. I think that is immersion breaking.

IMO they should have just done it like in TW2, with the difference that you can quick-drink 1 potion (which makes you unable to walk for a few seconds), and only 1 during a combat situation. And to make the boss fights better you just establish a "preparation phase" before a boss battle where Geralt says something like "I should prepare for the fight".

I don't know what's so hard there....

I don't like that idea....

this activating mechanic is similar to drinking during combat

Exactly. There is absolutely NO difference except of the fact that you have to choose the potions BEFORE combat and except of the animation.

In the end drinking before the combat and then releasing the effect is the same as if you would have "chosen" the potions before the fight and then just quick-drank them during combat.
And in this case they might as well have done it that way.

Example: You find out about a large cave full of Nekkers. You meditate in front of that cave and ingest potions that you think will serve you well when facing Nekkers. You enter the cave, explore for a while until you find a victim of the Nekkers, still breathing. You talk to him for a while until he passes away and continue deeper into the caves, until at last you find the Nekkers' nest and battle ensues.

Scenario TW2: Your potions last for 10min and run out either during exploration or during dialogue, maybe they even last for a few seconds into the fight. Preparation was useless and in vain.

Scenario TW3: Your "passively ingested" potions last for several ingame hours, easily long enough to explore the caves. You activate their effects which last for a couple of minutes when the combat begins. If you don't activate them, your passive potions expire soon after your adventure in the caves.

Scenario TW2 (for me): I take light potions at first and go into the cave. I find the victim and talk to him, then before going deeper I take new potions, IF my old ones run out. If not, alo good.

Scemario TW3 (for me): I have prepared potions and go in, I activate them on a harder encounter whenever I like and the effect holds 5 - 10 min.

Same for me, only that TW2 requires more preparation and know-how of the Witcher universe and more sense of when to take the potions.

(On a side note: I hope there will be negative effects of overdose and long-time poisoning again, it was kind of lame in TW2 that we could not take too much and have temporary good effects which turned bad after a while)

it would be even cooler if even some of the passive ones affected Geralt's apperance, like getting very pale and dialated pupils or getting visibly crazy with anger like when he killed the michelet brothers

Absolutely. I really hope they slightly alter his appearance based on potions taken or at least indicate in his appearance when he took a potion and when he is "clean", I want to see the difference. That is part of the awesomeness.

I respect CDPR's work very much, but it's for this very reason that I find myself really saddened by their decision, which is most likely already final. But seriously, it's stupid. "Metabolism: Activate!" is stupid. At least make him select three potions during meditation and then let him drink them on the fly whenever he wants, like his shoulder belt in the first The Witcher suggests. Come on, guys. Something that makes sense.

This.

Not the same at all really. If you consume the potion beforehand but choose not to activate its effect, then you've wasted it, it will eventually wear off and there's no way to get it back. If you have it on your belt or w/e, you just put it back in your inventory - there's no downside to not taking risks. Furthermore, if you've drunk 3 potions, your toxicity is maxed, can't replace them without meditating and losing all of the potions you had consumed previously. If you have 3 in your belt, it's very easy just to swap one potion on your belt for another from your inventory without any downsides

1. That is true, but then again, if you have already taken a potion you can not take another one, and if the effect is for 1 hour or more it becomes really annoying to always take potions and then either meditate if you want to take another or wait until the potion is out of your system. In that regard the potions in TW2 were better because they had short effects and you didn't have to wait so long to get them out of your system. Non the less, I agree on that point.

2. Disagreed. I think if you are actively NOT able to switch potions from your belt and your inventory during combat that makes the preparation still important while not enabling you to switch potions fast. Which means if you equipped the 3 potions you have to stick with them until you are out of combat and can meditate again.

In the long run - IMO - the potion-belt just makes more sense than this metabolism activation nonsense.

Just speculating here, but maybe the new mechanic is designed to accommodate the large game world. In TW2, you were sure to run into enemies after you drank since the areas were small. Once you left town, it'd take a minute or two to cross paths with something hostile. Encounters In TW3 will likely be spread much further apart, so a potion with a 5 minute buff becomes useless

Not true.
Seriously, any good player who knows the Witcher would never drink a potion right after taking the quest, he would take the potion after his first encounter with the enemy he was searching for. In most cases those are weaker specimens of the same species. So you could slay them, then drink the potions and then go on and kill the rest.

Keeping potions in stock would be a chore and the amount of meditation needed to drink the potions would be a pain in the ass.
'

That also counts 100% for this "metabolism" method since you would have to prepare, take the potions and activate them non the less, and if you want to get them out of the system you need to meditate as well.

And another thing. Based on how long the effects actually hold it might even be a waste to use the potions. Imagine you can "activate" the potion during 2 hours of ingame time but the potion itself only holds 3 - 5 minutes.

In my ideal fantasy, my Geralt could be walking slowly through the trees and bushes for 5 minutes before he even picks up a sign of something, let alone an enemy.

That is kind of what I hope does NOT happen. Because honestly that way the world would be way too empty for me.
Maybe he takes that long or even longer to find the monster he searches for, but IMO there should definitely be monsters outside of the settlements, regularly. I do not want to wander through completely open space.

Of course the wilderness should not be crowded with enemies every 2 inches, but at least every 3 - 5 minutes I want to encounter an enemy group or two. Or at least normal dangerous wild animals.

n such a scenario, having immediate and short-term duration on potions is bad, because:

You either waste them, in case you drank while in the city.
Or, and this is worst in my opinion, you break the flow of the game, because after 5 minutes of investigating the forest, the game will have to inform you in some way that there's a battle ahead, so you could prepare properly. This is more immersion-breaking than "frozen" potions, and it creates an old-gen and artificial border between "traveling" and "battling" that should go away in next-gen. It butchers the element of surprise.

Okay.

1. Normally I take my potions after the first encounter with the monster species I am searching for. If it is not a unique big boss monster then normally there are more of them and there are weak ones (at the outskirts of their territory) and stronger ones (further down the path). So that is no problem.

2. I agree that it is a waste with short-term potions that you can only take out of combat, but I think a system like the potion-belt makes just so much more sense than the "metabolism" one.

This is why I think there is merit in this middle-ground: you neither have 10-minutes lasting buffs from Witcher 2, nor 20-hours lasting buffs from Witcher 1. But for this to work, there are a few conditions that I see:
  1. Difficulty. It needs to be crazy-tough, in my opinion. Otherwise, the whole preparation aspect is just decoration that you could easily do without. The difference between researching an area for its monsters, and then researching monsters for their weaknesses, so you can prepare the potions in advance, shouldn't be between "a tough battle" and an "easier battle". It should be the difference between "death" and "a tough battle".
  2. Investigation. It needs to be interesting and challenging, and that each monster's weaknesses and strength are crucial enough to warrant the use of potions, and different ones at that, based on the battle. Due to the (hopefully high) difficulty, I'd like for the preliminary investigation to have to be thorough. Something beyond just reading a book. Or at least, not have that book available in every bookstore.
  3. Potions. CDPR needs to create many potions, which are distinctly different, while all of them are equally useful.

I mostly agree on that.

Last edited:
But "activating the effect"? Idk....

They're actually not using that system anymore.

"The potions will be divided into two groups - Mutagenic - powerful concoction of high toxicity, that you drink before the fight - and Support ones - having weaker properties, but less toxic and drunk during the encounter."

Link

@Kinley They haven't said that you won't have the chance to activate the effects of the high toxicity potions, only that you also get ones that you can drink on the fly in addition to what they had ipreviously, so it's quite possible that they're still keeping the system in place while building upon it.
@BlackWolf500 There are 10+ pages after that comment discussing this, feel free to read them if you're interested in my response, why it's not the same as drinking a potion mid-combat, and the reason why it's a better solution than TW2's system.

Geralt is a strange kind of witcher, that's why. I welcome the new change they have it store for us, after all they are the ones testing the fuck out of all of these ideas all of the time.
I foolishly trust these crazy devs... I don't know why but I just do, maybe its the art.
Hey, If it looks good enough we will learn to love it and enjoy it.
No worries, I feel it's going to be fun no matter what.
Believe you Me/We are in for one heck of a ride!! ;)

Last edited:
They're actually not using that system anymore.

"The potions will be divided into two groups - Mutagenic - powerful concoction of high toxicity, that you drink before the fight - and Support ones - having weaker properties, but less toxic and drunk during the encounter."

Link

Lol yeah, okay, I am a little behind here. Thanks for the info.
Sry :D Just worked myself through. Found the discussion so interesting.

I will search the post where the news came and continue from there.

EDIT: Ah okay, this is VERY new news.

Well... I'm gonna read this and then get back with my opinion.

Ah okay, this sounds more like it. So we can get bigger boni and are rewarded for preparation, but small advantages can be gained any time. So potions of mutagentic nature make sense to drink out of combat only because they are probably very demanding and might also require Geralt to sit down and "process" them before being able to fight (therefore the drinking out of combat), and the support potions are normal human potions (which humans could also consume probably) which give you slight advantages.

Sounds cool and more logic.

On a side note:

The function of importing saves from a previous views will have considerable effect on the game, because Wild Hunt will have a lot of references to the Assassins of Kings. As for console players, they still haven't selected a solution to generate your own save file for PS4 and Xbone

AWESOME !!

Geralt would probably be able to cut his beard (similar to hair changing), but beard will be growing back as time passes [confirmed earlier]

Funny and Awesome :D

Last edited:
Lol yeah, okay, I am a little behind here. Thanks for the info.
Sry :D Just worked myself through. Found the discussion so interesting.

I will search the post where the news came and continue from there.

Well, as @ReptilePZ said, the activation system might still be in place. Just, for me at least, it sounded like they got rid of it, since there was no recent mention of it at all. Might be wrong though.

Top Bottom