Votes: 270 26.2%
  • I need to see it in action to be sure

Votes: 294 28.6%
  • I prefer the system of TW1

Votes: 363 35.3%
  • I prefer the system of TW2

Votes: 104 10.1%

• Total voters
Now we are talking about sth different. Releasing potion effects is ok. when you want to do such huge open world. Now we are talking about "infinite potions" idea. For example, you gather ingriiendients, make potions and when you use all of them, you dont need to go to explore and search for the herbs or etc. again but you can refill it by the campfire or in the tavern for free. You dont need to make them again and again. Just automaticaly refill. That is very casual system so many fans are very sceptic about it.

Now we are talking about sth different. Releasing potion effects is ok. when you want to do such huge open world. Now we are talking about "infinite potions" idea. For example, you gather ingriiendients, make potions and when you use all of them, you dont need to go to explore and search for the herbs or etc. again but you can refill it by the campfire or in the tavern for free. You dont need to make them again and again. Just automaticaly refill. That is very casual system so many fans are very sceptic about it.

I agree. Potions automatically refilled is a bad idea. It's very noob friendly, and I don't like it.

There simply is NO other rpg which has THAT simplified alchemy.NO OTHER.

Skyrim - king of overrated rpgs IMO actually forces you to collect herbs

Dragon Age:Origins - also you need to collect plants

Dragon Age:Inqusition - it's confirmed that you will need to collect herbs in order to make potions

Oblivion - collect plants........make potions

Morrowind - the same

Two Worlds - the same

Gothic - the same

The list goes on and on.What's purpouse of plants if you only need them fucking ONCE and eventually once more for upgrades ?

Plus they are all over the place ! Put merchants and herbalist at every crossroad and on every corner but make them a little more expensive than collecting plants and voila.

They are trying to solve the problem which exists in heads of players and thus it can't be solved by devs.They are making potions seem WORTHLESS because there is no ACCOMPLISHMENT in making them and using them.

Plus explain to me HOW are potions refilling out of nowhere.That's some serious perpetum mobile shiiiiiiet.It feels like cheating and godmode - enabled.

It's pretty obvious what the majority of people think about the auto refill, since CDPR said that this is still a work in progress, there is hope.
I would hate to see the potion crafting taken from me. I also hope they bring some elements from the system in the first game.

The thing about the auto-filling potions, is that it makes me fearful about OTHER design decisions that they are making... :unsure:

Last edited:
The thing about the auto-filling potions, is that it makes me fearful about OTHER design decisions that they are making... :unsure:

THIS ! So much bloody this.Is it a bad omen of things which are about to come (besides Wild Hunt lol) ?
:sad: :sad: :sad:

Auto filling potions feel very un-wichery like and I hope they change it, or atleast make i optional. A response from the dev team on the matter would be appreciated.

The game mechanics aside, I got pretty addicted to collecting herbs and then selling them off for Orens. If I saw that 'Celandine' pop up in the distance, I just couldn't resist. One. More. Celandine. It's all I need, Really.
This!

CDPR shouldn't take something away which some players like just to please other players. They should leave a working system in peace and think about additional options for those who want a more "casual" approach (I repeat: the ability to buy potions would be a solution for that).
@tobbeman
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/30211-E3-Discussion-Thread?p=1329600#post1329600

Last edited:
This!

CDPR shouldn't take something away which some players like just to please other players. They should leave a working system in peace and think about additional options for those who want a more "casual" approach (I repeat: the ability to buy potions would be a solution for that).

@tobbeman
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/30211-E3-Discussion-Thread?p=1329600#post1329600

Where's the fun in buying the potions?
If for example buying the potions is only viable on easy, too expensive on higher difficulties, it could work to a certain extent, but it would still be a compromise, which I hope we don't have to come to.

If for example buying the potions is only viable on easy, too expensive on higher difficulties, it could work to a certain extent, but it would still be a compromise, which I hope we don't have to come to.
There is no "direct" fun in buying potions. It's the same as riding from point A to B. It's a mechanic to uphold the believability of the gaming world. It's just a solution to get players an "easy access" to potions if they don't like gathering ingredients and crafting potions on their own without breaking the believability of the world and the lore. I mean, isn't the very point of an RPG to be immersed in a believable world, playing a role? Who does automatic potion refill support the very nature of an RPG???

Imo the option to buy potions for money (at least "standard" potions) on top of crafting is a good solution to both please gamers who like crafting and collecting herbs and players who think that it is a chore without the need to sacrifice immersion and without the need to take away from the overall RPG experience. This is after all not an action game which is centered around combat alone with everything else as easy and casual as possible.... ;)

There is no "direct" fun in buying potions. It's the same as riding from point A to B. It's a mechanic to uphold the believability of the gaming world. It's just a solution to get players an "easy access" to potions if they don't like gathering ingredients and crafting potions on their own without breaking the believability of the world and the lore. I mean, isn't the very point of an RPG to be immersed in a believable world, playing a role? Who does automatic potion refill support the very nature of an RPG???

Imo the option to buy potions for money (at least "standard" potions) on top of crafting is a good solution to both please gamers who like crafting and collecting herbs and players who think that it is a chore without the need to sacrifice immersion and without the need to take away from the overall RPG experience. This is after all not an action game which is centered around combat alone with everything else as easy and casual as possible.... ;)

Buy potions from who? The witcher's potions are lethal for humans.

You read too much into it. :)
My point was that I enjoy creating the potions, so I won't be buying them, unless I'm really forced to for some reason.
There should always be the option to buy them, but there should be incentive to create them yourself.

Buy potions from who? The witcher's potions are lethal for humans.

You have a point, especially when we consider the first game, where in the beginning those bastards were trying to steal the secrets for creating them.
It doesn't make much sense for a random merchant to be selling witcher potions, now does it?

Jupiter_on_Mars

Is there a market for potions in TW world? I'm not versed in the lose, but I don't think so. Hence, you wouldn't exactly have potions on display for sale, rather you'd have a herbalist make them for you. You could make contacts with herbalists, so that you'd hand them the recipes for potions and they'd create them for you, taking care of ingredient procurement and production. You'd pay a fee for such a weekly contract. Suffice to show up at the herbalist's doorstep on the set day of the week to collect the lot and you'd be good to go.

This way, people who want to use potions, but can't be bothered with harvesting ingredients, could still use them without fear of being caught with their pants down when that tough encounter finally came. No need for auto-refilling potions, really.

Last edited:
You have a point, especially when we consider the first game, where in the beginning those bastards were trying to steal the secrets for creating them.
It doesn't make much sense for a random merchant to be selling witcher potions, now does it?

Indeed. Random merchants who sell potions isn't a good idea/compromise.

Is there a market for potions in TW world? I'm not versed in the lose, but I don't think so. Hence, you wouldn't exactly have potions on display for sale, rather you'd have to ask an herbalist to make them for you. You could make contacts with herbalists, so that you'd hand them the recipes for potions and they'd make them for you, taking care of ingredient procurement and production. You'd pay a fee for such a weekly contract. Suffice to show up at the herbalist's doorstep on the set day of the week to collect the potions lot and you'd be good to go.

This way, people who want to use potions, but can't be bothered with harvesting ingredients, could still use them without fear of being caught with their pants down when that tough encounter finally comes. No need for auto-refilling potions, really.

Or you should just be able to buy certain potions from the herbalists, no need for a contract, but only low to medium level potions.
The more potent ones you'll have to create yourself.

Jupiter_on_Mars

The contract is intended to address CDProjekt's claim that gamers don't use potions because they want to hold to them. People woud not hold to said potions, for they'd know same day next week they'd be provided with a new lot. There'd still be an element of management, and people would still have to pay good money for them, unlike in the auto-refilling solution. Plus, a contract would guarantee you regular supply at a discount.

All in all, much better than auto-refilling potions.

Last edited:
You ask where is fun in buying potions ?

Well first and foremost you should be able to buy only basic potions from most sellers and some of the more advanced potions only from the most famous alchemists like Kalkstein from Witcher 1 is.The most advanced should still be eiher extremly expensive or hard to find merchant who would sell it.

They will be more expensive than gathering ingrediants but more easier.Also you could get discounts if you do some services to merchants.

And let me counter your question (to those who asked it) where is fun in buying potions : Where is fun in Geralt spitting in bottles and it transforming into any potion no matter how complex it is to make or how rare ingrediants are to be found ONLY because he made one of it 3 in game months ago??
:facepalm:

Top Bottom