Votes: 270 26.2%
  • I need to see it in action to be sure

Votes: 294 28.6%
  • I prefer the system of TW1

Votes: 363 35.3%
  • I prefer the system of TW2

Votes: 104 10.1%

• Total voters
I hope we can at least use potions in the middle of combat, there have been times where i was ambushed by enemies where a potion would have come in handy.

Yeah, as far as I know the support potions can be taken during combat, but only 2 can be taken since you can only equip 2 in your quick-potion inventory.
But then again I like that, if you run into an ambush it is only realistic that you have a disadvantage and that you are not as prepared, which makes preparation before going into possible hostile environment more important and interesting.

Yeah, as far as I know the support potions can be taken during combat, but only 2 can be taken since you can only equip 2 in your quick-potion inventory.
But then again I like that, if you run into an ambush it is only realistic that you have a disadvantage and that you are not as prepared, which makes preparation before going into possible hostile environment more important and interesting.

That's very true. Honestly, I think the notion of "Potions must be drunk while resting outside of battle" notion will work far greater in TW3 than it did in TW2. Often in TW2 the only way to know of an upcoming fight (or the contents of the enemies of an upcoming fight) was to play through and then reload, or have beaten the game before.

Due to its emphasis on hunting and preparation, as well as its open-world nature, I believe TW3 will handle the concept far better than TW2 could have.

I agree with @BlackWolf500 In the books Geralt mostly fights without taking any potions or elixirs, most of them time he only takes them for a monster contract when he knows there is one around.(Also, were BlackWolf1 to BlackWolf499 taken?)

Got this idea from a Skyrim mod. The problem cdpr said was that player stored their potions because they were afraid to waste it or wanted to save it for the hard battle that never came.
Now what that mod did was degrading the effectiveness of the potion over time. For example after one hour since the creation of the potion it loses 10% of it's effectiveness, after a day 50% or so, etc.
Opinions?

Yes and No.

On the one hand good idea, but I think the period of time should be longer id that is supposed to work.
On the other hand I would say it would be more effective to limit the amount of potions you can carry by making a special potion bag/pouch in which the potions must be stored. This bag/pouch can be extended later on in the game but it is limited. That way you can only carry a certain amount of potions.
The explanation in terms of lore could be that potions need special storing due to the fact that vials are fragile and that the substances can have hazardous effects.

Also like @Nihiru said people would hoard ingredients which would also not solve the problem.
In fact, I think there is no way to solve the problem. At the end of the day auto-refilling will only ensure the "hoarding" of potions is now automatic since you always have them, which means you will almost never be out of them since you can meditate everywhere. Besides the fact that I do not see hoarding as a real problem. I have yet to hear anyone ever complain about the fact that he himself is hoarding potions. If you want to use it you use it. If not then not. It's really that simple.

What if *some* (and I do mean a small *some*) potions refilled with the current system? I'm talking super basic potions (Cat, Swallow, Rook, Tawny Owl as an example) with the *majority* of other potions having strong, unique and interesting effects while requiring the reagents to be gathered for their creation (possibly making several doses of them?).

Here is my reasoning from a lore perspective for having a few potions (the list itself is debatable) refill while others do not. Geralt as a Witcher is going to almost *constantly* need Swallow or Cat, or Tawny Owl or Rook. These are extremely basic potions that could be considered an every day tool in the arsenal of a Witcher. It's logical that Geralt is going to almost always be carrying around the ingredients necessary for their creation. Other potions that are more specialized wouldn't always be accounted for, and thus their reagents would need to be acquired "in the field". Geralt isn't going to carry around the stuff for making Ornithosaur Oil because he isn't always going to be fighting Ornithosaurs.

I could actually agree on that kind of reasoning. I mean if those potions have really minor effects and refill to "introduce" the player to potions without requiring him to collect ingredients I could be "okay" with it, even though I would prefer no auto-fill at all.

I think if only 2 or 3 "basic" and "weak" potions are auto-refilling that is okay. But as far as we know MOST of them are auto-refilling. And that is the problem here.

That's very true. Honestly, I think the notion of "Potions must be drunk while resting outside of battle" notion will work far greater in TW3 than it did in TW2. Often in TW2 the only way to know of an upcoming fight (or the contents of the enemies of an upcoming fight) was to play through and then reload, or have beaten the game before.

Due to its emphasis on hunting and preparation, as well as its open-world nature, I believe TW3 will handle the concept far better than TW2 could have.

I absolutely agree.
But then again, I do really not mind being able to drink the "low-level" potions in battle, they don't have powerful effects, they are more like the name says for quick-reaction-support.
But I agree on your point.

(Also, were BlackWolf1 to BlackWolf499 taken?)

I don't know.
I just know "BlackWolf" was taken and I don't like random numbers on my names, so I took one I like. In this case 500.

Last edited:
Yes and No.

I could actually agree on that kind of reasoning. I mean if those potions have really minor effects and refill to "introduce" the player to potions without requiring him to collect ingredients I could be "okay" with it, even though I would prefer no auto-fill at all.

I think if only 2 or 3 "basic" and "weak" potions are auto-refilling that is okay. But as far as we know MOST of them are auto-refilling. And that is the problem here.

I absolutely agree.
But then again, I do really not mind being able to drink the "low-level" potions in battle, they don't have powerful effects, they are more like the name says for quick-reaction-support.
But I agree on your point.

I don't know.
I just know "BlackWolf" was taken and I don't like random numbers on my names, so I took one I like. In this case 500.

Thinking about it more, I actually quite like that system (though creator bias is of course present). It manages to at least have a plausible in-universe explanation for the auto-refills, while allowing CDPR to balance around the assumed using of general potions regularly. Even if the "They can't spend the time placing Harvesting locations and creating monster reagents" ends up being true, it also eases the burden in that regard, as the ingredients should be fewer and far between, no longer needed to mass-produce basic potions like Swallow and Cat and instead used for more advanced ones such as Blizzard and Full Moon.

Yes, it is indeed the problem. The problem which we're trying to solve. T_T

That seems fine. They also presumably contain lower toxicity, allowing Geralt to drink them on the fly without as much concentration as would be required for higher toxicity potions. (Actually, that could almost tie into a system where you could drink *any* potion in battle rather than in preparation, but with severely increased toxicity levels and possibly a shorter duration. Though thinking about it, it wouldn't be very good, it's an interesting concept.)

About your name:
You should have gone with BlackWolf#360nScope :harhar:

hi to everyone

I really like this idea of having certain potions the basic ones refill all the time while the gathering ingredients for the special potions is still a must.. This would enhance the preparations for the monster we are going to hunt and add a nice layer of witcher immersion. This would prevent hording and make refill thing actually very useful imho....

In fact, I think there is no way to solve the problem. At the end of the day auto-refilling will only ensure the "hoarding" of potions is now automatic since you always have them, which means you will almost never be out of them since you can meditate everywhere. Besides the fact that I do not see hoarding as a real problem. I have yet to hear anyone ever complain about the fact that he himself is hoarding potions. If you want to use it you use it. If not then not. It's really that simple.

Well, thats not really the same thing. CDPR isn't trying to stop hording because people had an excess of potions and bombs, the issue is that people were not using them. The excess was a consequence, not the problem itself. The goal of auto-refill is to encourage people to use potions more liberally.

Well, thats not really the same thing. CDPR isn't trying to stop hording because people had an excess of potions and bombs, the issue is that people were not using them. The excess was a consequence, not the problem itself. The goal of auto-refill is to encourage people to use potions more liberally.

And the REASON they were not using them was to increase difficulty for themselves or they were lazy.
There are about 3 main reasons why potions weren't used in TW2:

1. Some people found they make combat to easy. So they didn't use them
2. Some people found monsters too easy, they expected more difficult monsters later on and hoarded, but there were no more difficult monsters.
3. Some people didn't like collecting ingredients or brewing potions, they found it boring and since it was not "necessary" in terms of difficulty they ignored it.

Now CD project stated they wanted to counter hoarding and they wanted to encourage people to use potions.
I am 95% sure this system of auto-refilling is NOT the solution.

You want people to use potions? Make fights harder and potions more necessary.

You want people to not have to collect ingredients? Make low - mid level ingredients be purchasable from special merchants.

You want to introduce potions to people who were not interested in them? Appraoch them in the beginning of the game in a cinematic and immersive way and let the player take 1 potion, then go with the "The Witcher 2 52 and a half trailer" approach and show it like that. Plus enable a visual effect the more potions you take. It makes the feature "cool" and keeps new people interested as well as people which previously maybe weren't that interested.

You want potions to reduce the amount of ingredients that HAVE to be collected and that ARE existing in the world? Then make is so that 1 plant can give you more ingredients, and create special vials that allow for multiple uses of a potion.
And even then you still have monsters. Monsters drop loot and this loot (monster-parts) are most of the time alchemy ingredients.

There is a better solution than auto-refilling for every problem they want to solve.

and the reason they were not using them was to increase difficulty for themselves or they were lazy.
There are about 3 main reasons why potions weren't used in tw2:

2. Some people found monsters too easy, they expected more difficult monsters later on and hoarded, but there were no more difficult monsters.
3. Some people didn't like collecting ingredients or brewing potions, they found it boring and since it was not "necessary" in terms of difficulty they ignored it.

Now cd project stated they wanted to counter hoarding and they wanted to encourage people to use potions.
I am 95% sure this system of auto-refilling is not the solution.

You want people to not have to collect ingredients? Make low - mid level ingredients be purchasable from special merchants.

You want to introduce potions to people who were not interested in them? Appraoch them in the beginning of the game in a cinematic and immersive way and let the player take 1 potion, then go with the "the witcher 2 52 and a half trailer" approach and show it like that. Plus enable a visual effect the more potions you take. It makes the feature "cool" and keeps new people interested as well as people which previously maybe weren't that interested.

You want potions to reduce the amount of ingredients that have to be collected and that are existing in the world? Then make is so that 1 plant can give you more ingredients, and create special vials that allow for multiple uses of a potion.
And even then you still have monsters. Monsters drop loot and this loot (monster-parts) are most of the time alchemy ingredients.

There is a better solution than auto-refilling for every problem they want to solve.
qft.

So, any updates on this one? Have CDPR commented on this yet? Offer explanations/rationalizations/justifications? If not we gotta shout louder or write them all e-mails concerning this issue. We can’t have them go through with this.

And the REASON they were not using them was to increase difficulty for themselves or they were lazy.
There are about 3 main reasons why potions weren't used in TW2:

Now CD project stated they wanted to counter hoarding and they wanted to encourage people to use potions.
I am 95% sure this system of auto-refilling is NOT the solution.

Why not? It def solves the problem for 2 of the 3. The first issue is one of game balance, which is something they should be trying to achieve regardless.

Again, the top line should be done regardless of whether potions auto replenish or not. Ingredients were available from merchants in W2 so that is not much of a change.

You want to introduce potions to people who were not interested in them? Appraoch them in the beginning of the game in a cinematic and immersive way and let the player take 1 potion, then go with the "The Witcher 2 52 and a half trailer" approach and show it like that. Plus enable a visual effect the more potions you take. It makes the feature "cool" and keeps new people interested as well as people which previously maybe weren't that interested.

This is yet another thing that is not an argument against auto refilling potions, it should be done in any case.

You want potions to reduce the amount of ingredients that HAVE to be collected and that ARE existing in the world? Then make is so that 1 plant can give you more ingredients, and create special vials that allow for multiple uses of a potion.

What you are offering above aren't solutions, these are ways that make it a little more bearable but nothing is actually solved. Those things might be enough if this was W2. However, this game world is 35 times larger with a hundred hours of content so unless those special vials hold 50 or more uses, players will still have hundreds or even thousands of ingredients to horde. Item acquisition also remains rote and so will continue to be tedious. The potential advantage of the auto-replenishing potions is that the world does not need to support the player collecting endless quantities of them. So instead of having ingredient collection tied to simple things like mashing x in the environment, farming easy monsters, or buying them from a vendor; these ingredients can be guarded by high level mobs, involve special quests, or hidden in secret treasure caches -- methods that are vastly more compelling.

What you are offering above aren't solutions, these are ways that make it a little more bearable but nothing is actually solved.

No they are not.

1. The problem with the collecting of ingredients will be solved because you can buy most of them
2. The problem that people do not use their potions for fights will be solved because monsters are harder now and potions required. In this case even the hardcore players might want to use potions once in a while
3. The problem with the amount of plants they have to set into the world will be solved or at least reduces because of my point 3

Now I am ASSUMING here that THIS is what they want to achieve, that they want to counter hoarding, the not-usage of potions and the chore that it is for SOME players to collect ingredients. ALL of it is mostly solved with my points.

And the only reason why my points do not speak AGAINST auto-refilling is that this is not my point in this post, my point is there are alternatives which are equally good. If you want reasons against auto-refilling go back ~ 50 pages and read them, I posted them others posted them, I just didn't want to repeat myself.
@demut => Nope, no word so far. One of the devs skipped in shortly after the info got out and explained it which only confirmed what we already assumed and explained in this thread. He said they are still experimenting with it. So there is hope they find other solutions. Aside from that no word.

No they are not.

1. The problem with the collecting of ingredients will be solved because you can buy most of them
2. The problem that people do not use their potions for fights will be solved because monsters are harder now and potions required. In this case even the hardcore players might want to use potions once in a while
3. The problem with the amount of plants they have to set into the world will be solved or at least reduces because of my point 3

Now I am ASSUMING here that THIS is what they want to achieve, that they want to counter hoarding, the not-usage of potions and the chore that it is for SOME players to collect ingredients. ALL of it is mostly solved with my points.

And the only reason why my points do not speak AGAINST auto-refilling is that this is not my point in this post, my point is there are alternatives which are equally good. If you want reasons against auto-refilling go back ~ 50 pages and read them, I posted them others posted them, I just didn't want to repeat myself.

1. Having the ingredients was never an issue. At no point in W2 did you ever have to go out of your way to acquire them, there was so much of it just laying around and dropping from creatures.
2. They will not require potion usage with the system you've described. If players are suddenly consuming potions all the time then its too easy for them to end up in situations where they've run out in the middle of a huge cave or dungeon and now they have to backtrack through the entire thing back to the nearest town so that they can replenish their supply. With auto replenishing potions you actually can balance encounters for potion usage, since its safe to assume that they are always available.
3. Exactly, its reduced (not solved) relative to Witcher 2; a very linear game broken up into chapters. W3 is a far larger game in every conceivable way, so the quantity of ingredients that you are dealing will still have to be huge. Unless, as I said, those special vials hold insane amounts of the potion.. in which case it might as well be an infinite supply.

Well, your points do speak against auto-refilling. My point is that a lot of things you are talking about are things that need to be done no matter what happens with potion replenishment. And believe me, I've seen all of the conjecture. I had a very similar "WTF thats awful" reaction when I first heard about it. However, after giving it some thought, revisting how it worked in previous games, and seeing some of the positive points brought up by others, I'm open to seeing what they do with this new system because I do see the potential advantages.

With auto replenishing potions you actually can balance encounters for potion usage, since its safe to assume that they are always available.
But doesn't this feel (incredibly) cheap to you?
Just the notion that there would be no quantitative and rational limitation and, essentially you'd never run out of potions?

Sure, with the game being a non-linear open world and all that now you'll have to think and keep track of quite a few of different things and CDPR probably thought that by streamlining the alchemy system they would take some of that 'burden' off the players shoulders. But doing that by disregarding the immersive factor and the additional challenge provided by having to manage ingredients and taking care of creating the appropriate amount of potions, bombs, oils and whatnot yourself?

Running out of potions in the middle of a huge cave or dungeon? Well, tough luck. Should've stocked up on enough ingredients and/or potions beforehand.

'Sounding like a broken record' and all that, but I cannot believe that CDPR would deliberately ignore that chunk of the audience that actually takes enjoyment out of 'arduous' or even 'infuriating' things like that.

Sure, with the game being a non-linear open world and all that now you'll have to think and keep track of quite a few of different things and CDPR probably thought that by streamlining the alchemy system they would take some of that 'burden' off the players shoulders. But doing that by disregarding the immersive factor and the additional challenge provided by having to manage ingredients and taking care of creating the appropriate amount of potions, bombs, oils and whatnot yourself?

Yeah especially since the "preparation phase" is SO important in the Witcher. And the Preparation Phase is not only meditating, it involves collecting ingredients, brewing potions, crafting bombs and weapons, taking potions and informing yourself about the enemy. And while some things will still be in TW3 the current Alchemy/Potions system seems to take away 1 or 2 layers of it, which makes it less enjoyable for me personally.

Running out of potions in the middle of a huge cave or dungeon? Well, tough luck. Should've stocked up on enough ingredients and/or potions beforehand.

EXACTLY! That's what I love. I mean come on, don't say you never got short on potions or forget to prepare and take potions or your potion time just ran out and then a mob of monsters started attacking you. Then imagine you make it out alive (happened to me before) !! The feeling of getting this done although being in a disadvantage is badass.
That's what makes the game so cool. Sometimes you are prepared and it's hard, sometimes you are not prepared and it's damn hard. That doesn't happen that often with potions that auto-refill.

It's about the planning, the strategy. Hell, the whole GAME is about getting into unforeseen or unprepared situations and improvising. About trying to evaluate situations and decisions and act accordingly.

1. Having the ingredients was never an issue. At no point in W2 did you ever have to go out of your way to acquire them, there was so much of it just laying around and dropping from creatures.

Yet this is what SOME people here are saying that collecting herbs was "a chore".

2. They will not require potion usage with the system you've described. If players are suddenly consuming potions all the time then its too easy for them to end up in situations where they've run out in the middle of a huge cave or dungeon and now they have to backtrack through the entire thing back to the nearest town so that they can replenish their supply. With auto replenishing potions you actually can balance encounters for potion usage, since its safe to assume that they are always available.

Which simultaneously makes the whole alchemy system useless and prevents players who really want to "roleplay" to actually collect ingredients and be more "prepared" and be better in terms of potions-management. I like the "Risk VS Reward" nature of the not-refilling potions because they provide you with a choice "when do I use my potions and what is my goal at the moment, how many potions do I probably need and which one do I apply when?".

There are about 4 major reasons why people didn't use their potions:

1. Some thought it was no challenge with potions and didn't use them to increase difficulty
2. Some didn't use potions because they wanted to keep them for the hard fights - which never came since monsters were too easy for them
3. Some people played on normal difficulty and on that difficulty you don't need potions
4. Some people thought it a "chore" to collect ingredients or to use the alchemy system

Can you think of other reasons?

Lets accept though for now that there is indeed a change needed, EVEN THEN the developers could just go ahead and build in the OPTION to auto-refill or not. OR they could think of another way to have a more close-to-the-hand supply of low-level herbs or potions nearby.

3. Exactly, its reduced (not solved) relative to Witcher 2; a very linear game broken up into chapters. W3 is a far larger game in every conceivable way, so the quantity of ingredients that you are dealing will still have to be huge. Unless, as I said, those special vials hold insane amounts of the potion.. in which case it might as well be an infinite supply.

I agree on the linearity point but IMO it might not "as well be infinite" because the actual ACT of collecting ingredients and BREWING THE POTIONS which is pretty important for some of us (as you can see in the poll) would still be there.

Also, I agree it does not solve the problem, but: What would you - assuming you were a developer - prefer: To "solve" a problem but make a lot of people unhappy with it (therefore more or less create a new problem) or to reduce a problem as good as possible while keeping those other people happy? Think about it.
This is not about solving a problem for ONE SIDE, it's about solving or minimizing the problem in a way that everyone is as happy/satisfied as possible without compromising the experience of the other side, the other players.

Well, your points do speak against auto-refilling. My point is that a lot of things you are talking about are things that need to be done no matter what happens with potion replenishment. And believe me, I've seen all of the conjecture. I had a very similar "WTF thats awful" reaction when I first heard about it. However, after giving it some thought, revisting how it worked in previous games, and seeing some of the positive points brought up by others, I'm open to seeing what they do with this new system because I do see the potential advantages.

See and that's it. For me it's the opposite.
Yes, I see advantages. But for me the (100% sure) disadvantages overshadow and overweight those advantages.
And that's the problem here.

It gives me an advantage on the one hand, sure, but it harms my experience on the other hand.
I would just prefer if they ALTERED the system in a way that auto-refilling is not absolutely necessary and that we who love collecting ingredients and brewing potions still have the option to do that. That is all I want.

Last edited:
There are about 4 major reasons why people didn't use their potions:

1. Some thought it was no challenge with potions and didn't use them to increase difficulty
2. Some didn't use potions because they wanted to keep them for the hard fights - which never came since monsters were too easy for them
3. Some people played on normal difficulty and on that difficulty you don't need potions
4. Some people thought it a "chore" to collect ingredients or to use the alchemy system

Can you think of other reasons?

Personally I'd prefer it if potions didn't infinitely and automatically refill, as I'm sure you know, but to be honest (in Witcher 2 at least) while I did use potions somewhat regularly, the ONLY potions I ever used were Rook, Swallow and Cat. (Aside from Mongoose in the Kayran boss fight).

What I think CDPR really need to do, rather than making everything refill forever, give players incentive to actually use the damn potions in the first place. I did use *potions*, but they were always the same ones. Have cool potions with more unique effects, have potions people will actually *WANT* to use. The issue with what CDPR is doing is that they're approaching the concept of potions as a chore.
Don't think "Oh, it's a chore, let's make it streamlined and easier", think "Oh, it's a game play element, let's make it AWESOME!"

The hoarding problem may still exist to some extent (though it will be alleviated), but people who hoard potions will *still* exist with the new system. Want to know why?
"Well, I could use this potion *now*, but there might be an unforeseen hard fight afterwards that I won't have time to meditate before... I should save it, just in case"
So, rather than people hoarding ingredients and potions while using them sparingly... People just never use potions.

Problem... Solved?

But doesn't this feel (incredibly) cheap to you?
Just the notion that there would be no quantitative and rational limitation and, essentially you'd never run out of potions?

There is a rational limitation on it though. We're not talking about a situation where you can keep gulping down Swallow to live forever. From what we've seen you can only have 2 of any type "equipped" at a given time, there are finite number of uses, and Toxicity plays a huge part in how quickly you can use them. Taken as a whole, the Alchemy system is not at all streamlined. They've actually expanded on the tactical and strategic elements of the system, its just one small part of it that has been streamlined and that is the time it takes to create a potion in the UI.

You say tough luck but thats how it is. Modern game balance frowns on the idea of punishing players with ambiguous requirements. Which is exactly why consumables are never required in any game and are almost always used purely for player advantage. I also don't think CDPR is ignoring the chunk of you that enjoys mixing together ingredients. I'm willing to bet that they are surprise by the reaction… whether they can do anything about it? Only they would know.

Yet this is what SOME people here are saying that collecting herbs was "a chore".

Do they mean that it was difficult to collect ingredients... or are they simply saying the methods of acquisition + brewing are boring? As one of those people, my opinion is the latter.

Which simultaneously makes the whole alchemy system useless and prevents players who really want to "roleplay" to actually collect ingredients and be more "prepared" and be better in terms of potions-management. I like the "Risk VS Reward" nature of the not-refilling potions because they provide you with a choice "when do I use my potions and what is my goal at the moment, how many potions do I probably need and which one do I apply when?".

Preparation is still very important because you can only equip 2 combat potions at a time, so you’ll still need to manage what you are using and when. Risk vs Reward is conveyed through toxicity levels and the detriment with over indulging in potion use. Using potions like this seems more important than it ever was in W2.

Lets accept though for now that there is indeed a change needed, EVEN THEN the developers could just go ahead and build in the OPTION to auto-refill or not. OR they could think of another way to have a more close-to-the-hand supply of low-level herbs or potions nearby.

Of course there is a change needed, if there wasn’t then CDPR wouldn’t have overhauled the system. The amount of effort required to build in an optional component is foreign to me and you. I’m never going to complain about having more options in a game but I also realize that these things are never a simple flip of the switch. If it is a simple addition I’m sure they will implement it at some point since that is the type of developer CDPR is.

Also, I agree it does not solve the problem, but: What would you - assuming you were a developer - prefer: To "solve" a problem but make a lot of people unhappy with it (therefore more or less create a new problem) or to reduce a problem as good as possible while keeping those other people happy? Think about it.

Fact is they are making a game for millions of people. Millions of opinions on whats good, whats bad, whats immersive, whats boring, whats too easy or hard, ect. I’m of the opinion that developers should simply make the game that they want to make. My thoughts on all of this have little context, I don’t know how these things factor together and I won’t until Feb 24th. Which is exactly why I stress that I’m talking about the potential of alchemy changes… because I don’t know if it’ll live up to what I have in my head.

Top Bottom