The Witcher 3 and CDPR Appreciation thread

+
GOG Galaxy now records how long you play the game? Looks like they are copying Steam here. Does it happen when you run the game without it, or you launch it through Galaxy itself?

If you install it through Galaxy, then the app reads all your time and awards achievements, etc. You can skip Galaxy of course, or play offline at any time. But it's gotten stable enough that I decided to stick with it.

@RageGT, that is impressive, but you've always tallied some insane hours in the Witcher games, I know that.

Weird though, I had it at 79% and after 1.08.4 it went down. lol
PS. I know, I have no life, just a wife! =)

By "wife" do you mean Triss or Yennefer?

---------- Updated at 01:01 AM ----------

I appreciate CDPR for making a jewel of a game in the midst of loads of other half-finished games that reek of money grabbing.
I appreciate CDPR for not charging us $2.99 for each DLC.
I appreciate CDPR for listening to us and patch more romance dialogues into the game.
I appreciate CDPR for no macro-transactions.
I appreciate CDPR for not giving in to the political correctness of our time and deal with controversial topics (although could have done better).
I appreciate CDPR for cherishing single-player RPGs.

Above all, I appreciate CDPR for placing game above money.

Emotion

Hi Dev,

I never experienced a game with so much emotions as in Witcher 3

I felt real life sorrow when I saw the blood baron hang on that tree. It was a punch in the stomach. Even tough we all know he is not the best guy around, but who is...
I started to feel sympathy with this guy.

Just look to your new trailer , full of emotion:[h=1]The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Launch Trailer ("Go Your Way")[/h]
This is better then "the notebook", but my wife would disagree... I call her Triss now.

Keep up the good work... put emotion in the game as you described on your 2015 half year review to the investors.
Give us emotion, we give you dedication and money on the bank.

Whats the next project you guys have?

Best regards,

I give you a 10/10 - 37 year experienced gamer,

Jan

If you install it through Galaxy, then the app reads all your time and awards achievements, etc. You can skip Galaxy of course, or play offline at any time. But it's gotten stable enough that I decided to stick with it.

@RageGT, that is impressive, but you've always tallied some insane hours in the Witcher games, I know that.

LOL. 950 hrs now and I'm still finding new stuff like "A Tomb Emtombed". No guides for me. That's some 4 months of gaming since my first achievement and I want MOAR! =) Galaxy's new version has some issues with my win7. Can't accept friends request or close the program properly. Need to end the process in task manager.

@kissybyc I have a wife, same one too, for some 22 years now. =)

A few points from a newbie to the series - TW3 is Masterpiece! (The Mona Lisa & Sistine Chapel of Gaming!!)

Hello,

If you don't mind, I know long posts can be dreadful to read... but I just wanted to give a brief summary on my experiences of some recent games... to compare to TW3!

As a casual, regular gamer I've played most of the pop titles from CoD, Uncharted, Tombraider, Red Dead, Last of Us, etc... Of which I thought Last of Us blew all other games out of the water.. And even then during my PS2 and PS3 days I NEVER heard of The Witcher series..

Upon getting my PS4 a few months back I just happened to download The Witcher 3 b/c I kept seeing it advertised and hearing good things but knew nothing about it... Only to find out that there is a series of books, written by a Polish author whom submitted a short story into some writing contest in the 1980s and came in 3rd place. And the rest is history... (of which I now bought 4 of the novellas and LOVE them!!!!)... This "Game" should be a freaking TV show!! These Polish Lads at CDPR are a true craftsman at the art of gaming!

I know some say W1 and W2 are better. I have NOT played them only coming onto this title for the first time a few months ago... So to back track a bit, the first game I played on PS4 was Bloodborne, an impossible game for someone like me. As I learned patience, to play levels over and over, to pick up tactics and strategy.. It can be a monotonous form of gaming and boring too.. As well as very frustrating!! From Software's titles are legendary when it comes to hard games apparently. This too I was oblivious too! Anyways, I actually was one of the people in the beginning complaining at how hard it was and low and behold I BEAT IT. it was the pinnacle of my so called "Gaming Career"....lol. Even after I beat the first level of BB, I was throwing my fists in the air.. And, when I beat the game?? I was jumping up and down running back n forth --- now mind you, I'm also in my mid-30s too!! so I can still act like a kid !! LOL!

So then comes The Witcher 3 my next game to be played I thought my level of gaming had increased with experience, as it did to some extent.. Especially being appreciative of the work that goes into these games!!! So, I really just did not know what too expect.. Although, I read a few things online about how some didn't like The Witcher 3, or some didn't like it after playing Bloodborne... So honestly, I went into playing TW3 with a pessimistic view... Within a couple hours all that changed!!

When I realized the money invested into this game by CDPR was chump change compared to bigger gaming companies, and the sheer size of TW3 with all these sub plots and story lines.. I became hooked. I just still can not understand how they pulled this game off... Because it is non stop action.. So many story lines, even a storyline that lasts for just a few minutes is appealing and lends emotionality and credence to the main story...... Never have I been so emotionally involved into characters, where I always want to be the good guy, etc. (Heck, I wish those "Beggars" in Novigrad who needed coin, where TW3 had an option to just drop them some money or food!! lol. But that is how emotionally invested I am into this game...).

I am about 8-10 weeks into the game.. easily 200+ hours... I'm only at level 23 and still haven't even met "Yennefer" yet in Skellige.. So I do have some story to complete. I'm just enjoying everything there is about this game b/c it is UNBELIEVABLE!

My most "enchanting" experience is when I get to Urialla Harbor -- I was mesmerized.. not just by the sites but the sounds... THE MUSIC SCORE ON URIALLA HARBOR (SKELLIGE) IS WORTHY OF AN EMMY AWARD !!!!!!!!!! I want this soundtrack not just for this piece but all the music in The Witcher 3..... that is why among all the other reasons, of all the dozens and dozens of games I have played from NES to PS4, in my opinion, The Witcher 3 is the Sistine Chapel of gaming!!!! (I also said Davinci's Mona Lisa but that's such a small painting..lol.. Michelangelo's Painting upside down is one of the largest ever! A true Masterpiece!!)

Congrats to the composer whom ever it is that made those beautiful, peaceful enchanting sounds for the entire game but especially URIALLA HARBOR! And more so, CONGRATS to CDPR who just pulled a most amazing accomplishment worthy of some history (art making) notoriety!!!!

Jules

Been playing MGSV lately. Really good. At first I thought it was going to beat oTW3 for my personal game of the year. But then I was randomly on youtube watching clips from TW3 (a few quest outcomes I never witnessed, and don't care to replay a 200 hour game just to see) and I was reminded just how good this game is. The writing, the music, the atmosphere, Geralt's shrewd responses. It's just sooooooooo good. Sometimes you need to take a break from something to fully appreciate it.

Last edited:
I am usually playing games with headphones on as they sound better that way. However I'm only 80 hours into game (I really have too few spare time to play), but when I do play it is stereo speakers turned on, which let's me to go in slow pace, every minute spent enjoying this art. I am really amazed with the atmosphere that develops in TW3. And I usually don't buy games, especially that cost 75 Eur (expansions incl.), but reading threads like this makes a question "why?" simply go away

Hi Devs and Gamers,

The Witcher 3, is easily one of the best best games I've ever played. As a fan of the series I love the momentum, and how the series ended up. I'm playing NG+ now, can't wait for the expansions. I would like to write a little bit detailed impressions, because there were a lot of misleading/subjective info about game all over the internet, kind of effected me, but after playing it, I experienced lots of things differently.

VISUAL:
Honestly I was baffled about all the downgrade speculations. And I was looking at the comparison screenshots and E3 images, felt kind of dissapointed as a loyal fan. But when I put 5-6 hours into game, I saw that this is really not the case. Seriously on Ultra, this game looks amazing, there might be some changes, but I personally don't see a "downgrade". Viewdistance/fog, I can totally see designer s intentions. I love how Novigrad looks misty from Velen on horizon. I'm really not interested in technical justification. I'm more interested in art and style. I'm not interested in seeing every single pixel of the bridge of Novigrad from distance. It just looks like a painting now. The other thing I love, the atmosphere and look changes depending on the time, date, weather and location, so it almost feels like every day feels different. Sometimes it gets vibrant, sometimes misty, sometimes more desaturated and gritty. I think this is an amazingly rich direction, never experienced such thing in an open world game. This game made me think that it's really beyond technical aspects but very artistic individuals worked behind. Every single design; from landscapes to outfits feels really well handcrafted and artfully done. Almost very authentic and internal too. Nothing feels generic in this game. I love the authenticity in terms of art direction. Foliage also feels amazing, every location is different. There are many memorable locations which is really hard to establish in a huge world. It's so nice to recognize places from distances by their silhouettes.

AUDIO:
This is one thing is kind of easy to miss, but usually if the sound design is great, you feel it's existence less. I love the richness and natural approach of sound design. I can feel the place, weather, surroundings without seeing things. Lots of tiny details put into sound design I can greatly appreciate. I also love the direction taken for witcher senses. Music goes down, and I can sense surroundings very contrast, lovely.
Not much to say about music; masterpiece. I think it's spot on. Again; instead of generic epic scores, I love the authentic direction. Every single situation has unique and extremely well done score, using many instruments vocals etc... very strong.

STORY: (!POSSIBLE SPOILERS!)
CD PROJECT I HAVE NO IDEA HOW YOU SCRIPTED THIS MUCH CONTENT WRITING WITHOUT MESSING IT UP. I seriously can't tell how it's done everything is related to each other, tiny secondary quest goes back to some decision I made back in the game. If I did something really unrelated -time wise- comes into dialogue unexpectedly. This is crazy, amazingly rich, mature, well written contracts, side quests, main story. Love the sense of humor too. Also the characters, it's unbelievible how many likable characters this game has. I want to be friends with Lambert and Zoltan :D There are lot of great memories based on dialogues and characters.
Also I love the emotional approach in this game, it was great to see Geralt vulnerable, caring. Ciri is great, Yennefer is great. Very good voice acting too of course.

GAMEPLAY:
Overall, I enjoyed this game so much. It was fairly convinient to wonder around, I didn't die much from falling :) Seriously if you just roll before landing it's just fine. This is another thing I feel exaggerated a lot. I'm fine with Roach too, could be better maybe, but overall she was pretty reachable, I like the riding mechanics too. Pretty much 1st open world game that I prefer riding rather than running.
GWENT was so much fun.
I like detective mechanics, tracking all those were great.
I have some certain opinions about gameplay;
ALCHEMY; I like this approach better than W2, I always love the alchemy in Witcher universe. It's nice to be able to use in combat, I like the tree as well. There's only one thing though; unlike sign usage, alchemy is not that userfriendly. I usually end up opening inventory and look for potions in the middle of the fight. It would be great If there was an additional row in the quick access menu for potions for example. 2 slots are not enough for alchemy build. And it really slows down the combat.
COMBAT; This is very crucial. I have no idea why a lot of people are being so harsh on Witcher 3 combat system. I play on Deathmarch, it's absolutely fantastic. I use all my skills put all my effort to win battles, and using all the varieties is just so much fun. Potions, oils, bombs, signs, and swordplay itself is great.
I like how Geralt moves, I think this game has one of the most aesthetic and graceful combat animations. W1 was a little repetative and Geralt was trying so hard to make cool moves. In Witcher 3, Geralt seems much more mellow, experienced, skillful, minimal moves but very deadly. I love how he dodges, effective and always facing the opponent. I really like how devs didn't go to a direction like Batman or Assassins Creed combat system. This still looks nice and I feel like I'm doing everything. This also results almost every combat situation is a unique choreography. I really like how Geralt whirls too, badass and super effecting in group fights. I agree combat system can take some time to get used to, but I think thats the only way to have a complex, aesthetic, rewarding and immersing experience system. I don't even wanna talk about comparisons like dark souls or bloodborne combat... It's a joke comparison, they are very different and arcade like...
My only wish would be a little more animation variety, Counter Attack has only 2 animations. And I wonder why they didn't recycle some finisher animations from W2. I like W3 has no cutscene like finishers everyting happens while I'm experiencing, feels I'm all involved, but W2 had pretty good animations to recycle for the existing system just to have more variety.

These are pretty much my overall thoughts about my appreciation. I can totally feel the LOVE you guys put into this game, this is very rare, and I really really apprecciate this. And of course I should give credit to Team how they listen to their fans, trying hard to please them, keeping the quality, raising the bar, and being generous. I think W3 deserves much much more than it's price.

Cheers
Mert

Last edited:
@julesrulesny The composer is Marcin Przybyłowicz. He's a genious. He's also responsible for the OST to "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter". Also, the polish folk band Percival made some of the tracks. They're awesome too.

Some of the REDs are chicks you know. Very, VERY hot chicks. Very, VERY hot NERD chicks...

This words are rare together

Attachments

• tell-me-more-.jpg
    tell-me-more-.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 37
Thanks Projekt Red! Also I'm back

So many damn games coming out, so many reviews to do. I ended up getting sidetracked from this game and stopped playing. But I'm back now and wow this game changed. I remember being on here when the game was released and there were some suggestions we had for the game. And by suggestions I mean we all made tons of post complaining about things we didn't like... but in a nice way. Nearly all of them have actually been added into the game as free content!

A lot of complaints were made against armor, there were no really badass designs like in Witcher 2. Also there was no balanced armor for Signs and Attack Power
-Added Wolven Gear as well as new armor pieces

Wanted to have New Game Plus
-Added New Game Plus

Didn't like how rarely we saw Triss in the game, making players go for Yen simply cause Yen is more involved with the story.
-Adding more in depth romance options for Triss

No stash
-Added stash

Weight was annoying to maintain with all the little items
-Changed weight

Geez... you guys have been busy. It's so rare these days to see gaming companies that not only listen to fans, but they're willing to make changes based on their feedback. Oh and the fact that they're releasing free content too. Other companies would charge money for new gear, different outfits or quest.

Top Bottom