The Witcher 3 for Linux

+
Riven-Twain;n10461702 said:
Hmmm. Looks as though it might stand a ghost of chance. Rather spectral.

Heh, but it's progress at least. I'm kind of still stuck in early Velen quests, because Wine + Mesa still have a freeze in TW3 with default OpenGL backend with the patch that fixes invisible monsters. So far developers didn't find the cause. But this new project has a potential not only to avoid old bugs, but to also improve performance.

Peter Mullholand - former Virtual Programming developer who worked on the Linux version of The Witcher 2, hinted that VP were working with CDPR on the Linux version of the Witcher 3 in 2014-2015, but something went wrong around 2016, when CDPR halted the effort. According to him it is related to the low uptake of Valve's Steam Machines and some bad reaction to the initially badly performing early Linux release of TW2.

Not sure how valid this is, but at least Steam Machines reason sounds about right, since CDPR became too focused on consoles lately. Sadly, CDPR management never publicly admitted that they cancelled the project, despite their earlier marketing of TW3 Linux release.

Last edited:
dxvk is progressing quite well

I have to say, I'm amazed at how fast dxvk is progressing. That is how it's supposed to be done, and something CDPR should have done themselves.

Now we are getting somewhere. 60+ fps with Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 and dxvk:

That's very good. Now only missing stream output to fix distorted monsters with radv, and I'll be able to continue the game :)

Riven-Twain, SigilFey: is it a know issue in TW3, that NPCs lose their beards in the distance? I thought it's a bug in Wine, but apparently Wine developers say it happens on Windows too, and it's some kind of LOD problem that game has. So I just wanted to confirm it.

See here for a small video snippet that demonstrates the problem: https://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=61005 (you'd need some player like mpv or vlc, since it fails in the browser).

Last edited:
Gilrond-i-Virdan;n10872481 said:
Riven-Twain, SigilFey: is it a know issue in TW3, that NPCs lose their beards in the distance? I thought it's a bug in Wine, but apparently Wine developers say it happens on Windows too, and it's some kind of LOD problem that game has. So I just wanted to confirm it.
Yes, unfortunately, the details of hair, helmets, eyes, and beards can disappear at a distance. I believe there is a mod which attempts to correct the point of hair specifically, but I don't believe it covers all cases.

(Also, it seems your video file might be corrupted.)

Top Bottom