The Witcher 3 for Linux

+
@OptoNick: See above, that poster was linked in this thread. It doesn't confirm it really. What if it was someone's joke? Or simply a mistake? Valve never confirmed it and never commented on it and neither did CDPR. The only answer was from GOG, and it was like I said above. Also, as some report from the latest leaks from CDPR, there was no word about Linux there. So that's not very reassuring.

See also my previous post ;)

Ehh, I wouldn't really take this information too seriously/officially.

Yeah, it's not official enough. But why would he make it up? I also doubt CDPR developers would fake it like that in public. Of course normal official confirmation can clarify this matter better. Let's wait for @Kinley 's interview which should feature this question.

Last edited:
See also my previous post ;)

Yeah, it's not official enough. But why would he make it up? I also doubt CDPR developers would fake it like that in public. Of course normal official confirmation can clarify this matter better. Let's wait for @Kinley 's interview which should feature this question.

No developer was attributed or quoted directly, so the writer's claim that anybody actually used the word "yes" in response to the question "will there be a Linux version" is impossible to validate. He could just as well have lied, been mistaken, or heard only what he wanted to hear. Bad journalism tells us less than nothing.

Kinley will get us better answers than that.

Last edited:
No developer was attributed or quoted directly, so the writer's claim that anybody actually used the word "yes" in response to the question "will there be a Linux version" is impossible to validate. He could just as well have lied, been mistaken, or heard only what he wanted to hear. Bad journalism tells us less than nothing.

Kinley will get us better answers than that.
It's surely not a proper journalism (he could have recorded the Q&A). But from that report it sounded significantly more than just a "yes" answer, so I doubt such thing can be easily misunderstood. Of course there is no way to verify that report, that's why official one is still needed to resolve this.

Last edited:
I sure hope that there will be a Linux version, if not I will have to grab a PS4 to play TW3. That would make me a very sad panda, because I think that gaming is best on a PC.

A vague answer about Witcher 3 on Linux from Michał Stec of CDPR (thanks to @Kinley for conducting an interview at Gamescom 2014):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QTzMelOeKEw#t=6m29s
Q: Will Witcher 3 be coming to Linux?

A: It’s too early to say, we’re focusing on releasing it on PC, Xbox One and PS 4, same quality, same experience to all the players. We’ll see after that, Linux, Mac I guess it might be planned but I do not know about it yet.

I'm not really sure if he's uninformed or not allowed to talk. "It might be planned but I do not know about it yet" is really too vague. Unfortunately the confusion with SteamOS ad was not clarified.

Last edited:
Conclusions so far:

• Release delay of the Witcher 3 wasn't caused by the Linux version as some speculated.
  • Reasons for SteamOS ad not explained.
  • OpenGL support in RedEngine not explained.

That's not much really. CDPR could do better, especially about explaining the misleading SteamOS ad, and the fact that some people made preorders based it and Steam having no refund policy.

Last edited:
Will the Witcher 3 be released for Linux?

Hi guys.

Can someone from CDPR confirm or deny Linux support for the Witcher 3? This is important to me personally, as I switched to Linux full time about a year ago and I don't know whether or not to pre order the game.

Thanks in advance.

No news for Mac version of this game?
I really loved playing the first two games on the mac (though for the first I had to redo the port because the official one it crashed constantly, Advice to all those who have problems in the wine wrapper update to the latest version or use playonmac / PlayOnLinux. Maybe even play it in the window, does not have full screen.).
In the second however I only had to remove the vsync seen that strangely did collapse the fps to the point of making everything unplayable while without vsync in high quality I have not had any problems.
I hope that the tradition of releasing this game for mac not fail with this chapter.
I know that probably I'll have to play it with a nvidia 650m to a minimum but I do not care. The only thing that interests me is being able to play natively on my macbook.
I do not think, but if you can not play with a 650m means that the game comes too soon. There are not only avid gamers with their super computer, there are casual players who just want to enjoy the story. a nvidia 650m is one of the best graphics cards installed on laptops up to a year ago. Means that it should be the average of the random players.
Given that this game interests me a lot I hope to be able to play.

@LiefLayer : I hope CDPR will make a proper OpenGL based version. But so far OS X was lagging behind with adding OpenGL 4.x support. It only supports OpenGL 4.1 if I'm not mistaken. I suspect REDengine will require more than that. The next version is coming out sometime this year though, so it might update it.

Last edited:
@LiefLayer : I hope CDPR will make a proper OpenGL based version. But so far OS X was lagging behind with adding OpenGL 4.x support. It only supports OpenGL 4.1 if I'm not mistaken. I suspect REDengine will require more than that. The next version is coming out sometime this year though, so it might update it.

You are right about now supports up to OpenGL 4.1.
What I do not understand is why it should take more than opengl 4.1 (since the output is the latest version 4.4).
Not to mention that the 4.1 version of osx support some functions in version 4.3 (it is not the original version).
I understand that the witcher 3 is a game with few compromises, but as far as I require "only" directx 11, directx 12 do not require (so if on windows do not require the maximum I do not see why do it on a mac).
And as far as I know directx 11 and opengl 4.1 have roughly the same feature.
Not only that, since it will make a version for playstation 4 (which will use opengl) do not really see the problem in making a version for mac.
I recently tried out Hitman Absolution mac and runs very well, even the witcher 2 (without vsync which is apparently buggy) runs very well (although worse respects to Hitman Absolution).

Among other things, the witcher 2 still uses opengl 3.3.

Even looking at one of the missing features more than some small lack in graphics I can not think of any other defects (something that does not interest me at all because at maximum graphics there will never play).

As far as I REDengine also uses a compatibility layer for OSX, which should make porting much easier.

Analyzing all it seems to me that this story dell'opengl 4.x is more of a belief than a few fans of linux (I'm not against linux, I used it for many years, ubuntu and archlinux).

It seems to me, however, that CDprojekt not going to commit to release for mac same time as the PC version and console windows.
This is a real shame given that on gog their philosophy is to give the user maximum freedom and between them there should be freedom to not have to buy a windows license and taking up space on SSD for bootcamp.

I think if you were to release the mac version in the same period of the windows version would give a signal to all software house (which at this time are increasingly making games for other platforms).

Thank you anyway for your response.

It's not really a bother. The main issue now is the lack of games in comparison with Windows. And with DX11 becoming more common this problem will become stronger until Wine will catch up. That's the concern, to which CDPR so far didn't answer.

I recently picked up a Macbook Pro for work and though I love the thing, and thought about moving over to Mac, the fact that they utilize static hardware and have exorbitantly overpriced hardware (ie, 8GB of memory is $400, when I can get high-quality 8GB for a Windows machine right now for $90. With PC gaming being a modular man's game on the PC, the fact that Mac is playing a stagnant game doesn't help them.

Valve has shown intention to pull PC gaming away from Windows and towards Linux. OSX isn't Linux exactly, but it would probably be significantly easier to code for OSX with a Linux build. The problem, again, becomes the expensive, static hardware that Mac uses.

Top Bottom