The Witcher 3 for Linux

+
@Aegis_Kleais : I know a few people who installed Linux on Macbooks ;) They also support multiboot, so you can have more than one OS installed there.

@LiefLayer : OpenGL 4.5 was just released, and Linux will have support for it soon enough. So there is no need for CDPR to use older versions if they can plug into all optimizations. It's not just features that are provided in newer versions. The most critical parts are performance improvements, and if they can be leveraged it means better experience on the same hardware. I hope next OS X will catch up, but I suspect it won't be the latest OpenGL once again. So Linux is in better situation here, but if CDPR want to release for both, they might be limited by the lower version.

As far as I REDengine also uses a compatibility layer for OSX, which should make porting much easier.

Only older REDengine. Same layer as used for Linux version of the Witcher 2 (eON from Virtual Programming). So far they said nothing about having such translation layer for the new engine used in TW3.

It seems to me, however, that CDprojekt not going to commit to release for mac same time as the PC version and console windows

That's not even a guess, CDPR clearly said that the only versions at release time will be Windows, Xbox One and PS 4. We can only hope that they won't stop on that and will develop Linux and OS X versions later. So far they didn't even start working on them apparently.

Last edited:
@Aegis_Kleais : I know a few people who installed Linux on Macbooks ;) They also support multiboot, so you can have more than one OS installed there.

@LiefLayer : OpenGL 4.5 was just released, and Linux will have support for it soon enough. So there is no need for CDPR to use older versions if they can plug into all optimizations. It's not just features that are provided in newer versions. The most critical parts are performance improvements, and if they can be leveraged it means better experience on the same hardware. I hope next OS X will catch up, but I suspect it won't be the latest OpenGL once again. So Linux is in better situation here, but if CDPR want to release for both, they might be limited by the lower version.

Only older REDengine. Same layer as used for Linux version of the Witcher 2 (eON from Virtual Programming). So far they said nothing about having such translation layer for the new engine used in TW3.

That's not even a guess, CDPR clearly said that the only versions at release time will be Windows, Xbox One and PS 4. We can only hope that they won't stop on that and will develop Linux and OS X versions later. So far they didn't even start working on them apparently.

But the problem remains. It's not enough for a game to be supported on Mac, the hardware has to be able to run it decently. And with Mac products being so hard-locked in at what they come with, it still makes Mac less viable of a gaming platform, sad to say.

Linux, on the other hand, can be notoriously more complex, but the open source nature of the OS and the fact that you do not have the hardware restrictions Apple puts in place, makes it a viable alternative for gaming. There just needs to be a big push behind the platform. Valve spoke about doing this (or at least wanting to) I don't think Gabe is a big fan of how traditional and stagnant Microsoft has been with the PC platform.

True to MS' traditions, by the time they'd realize that Valve started moving people from Windows to Linux gaming, it'd be too late for them to do anything about it. Like how MS sat on its but when MSIE beat out Netscape Navigator. Then they allowed browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera to move in and start taking massive market shares away. MS couldn't stem the tide now if they wanted.

@Aegis_Kleais : Yes, now many developers still think in terms Windows first, OS X second and Linux last, but I expect Linux to overtake OS X as a gaming target eventually. Apple in general don't prioritize it anymore given all their craze about iOS. More frequent updates and better hardware variety will make Linux a preferable option.

While Valve started pushing it, it still didn't release Steam Machines officially, which they consider the main component to boost Linux gaming forward. And I don't think MS are very relaxed about it, but there isn't much they can do anymore. The time of their domination when they could dictate to hardware vendors to avoid Linux is over.

@Aegis_Kleais : Yes, now many developers still think in terms Windows first, OS X second and Linux last, but I expect Linux to overtake OS X as a gaming target eventually. Apple in general don't prioritize it anymore given all their craze about iOS. More frequent updates and better hardware variety will make Linux a preferable option.

While Valve started pushing it, it still didn't release Steam Machines officially, which they consider the main component to boost Linux gaming forward. And I don't think MS are very relaxed about it, but there isn't much they can do anymore. The time of their domination when they could dictate to hardware vendors to avoid Linux is over.

Yeah, there just needs to be a big enough initiative to make Linux look like a viable option for current and upcoming game developers, once if enough momentum is provided, this will snowball just like the browser wars that Microsoft once ruled.

And as an aside to anyone who is not aware of it, but Microsoft's stagnant efforts in fields they (once) have superiority in is always their downfall, and often a core reason why there is a lack of progress in that field today. The Internet Explorer browser is seen as a joke by professionals in the field; it utilizes proprietary technology, never adheres to standards, and causes developers a lot of grief in getting compliant code to work in it. We use a series of litmus tests to rate how well a browser adheres to standards, and between Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera (who are now using Chrome's rendering engine) and IE, MSIE constantly has the least amount of updates done (their updates are usually security updates for bugs/holes) Between them all, IE is updated the least, and each time it is updated, its score that it garners is always last place against where the other browsers are. It must be horribly unsatisfying to work at Microsoft's IE team. To constantly strive to be in last place like that.

Microsoft has ignored PC gaming. Because Windows started out early and there were no competitors, Microsoft is again becoming lazy, and it is an opportunistic time for Valve to rally the troops and move the public away from Windows as gaming platforms. Thing is, it'll take more than just gaming to make Linux succeed. Business, Education, Utility apps will have to support Linux builds as well. But this is why Valve is starting small with just machines designed around gaming.

No one here can argue the fact that Microsoft supports their XBox community, but they pretty much have ignored their PC community. What better time to not only seize that market share but to them work towards rivaling it against other platforms? MS talks a big game, but they don't innovate; they duplicate. They talk a big game, but never deliver on that promise. Remember the "Expression Suite"? (not surprised if you never heard of it), It was supposed to be the Creative Suite killer. Remember Silverlight? Supposed to be the Flash Player killer. Those technologies are borderline non-existent today.

But the problem remains. It's not enough for a game to be supported on Mac, the hardware has to be able to run it decently. And with Mac products being so hard-locked in at what they come with, it still makes Mac less viable of a gaming platform, sad to say.

Linux, on the other hand, can be notoriously more complex, but the open source nature of the OS and the fact that you do not have the hardware restrictions Apple puts in place, makes it a viable alternative for gaming. There just needs to be a big push behind the platform. Valve spoke about doing this (or at least wanting to) I don't think Gabe is a big fan of how traditional and stagnant Microsoft has been with the PC platform.

True to MS' traditions, by the time they'd realize that Valve started moving people from Windows to Linux gaming, it'd be too late for them to do anything about it. Like how MS sat on its but when MSIE beat out Netscape Navigator. Then they allowed browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera to move in and start taking massive market shares away. MS couldn't stem the tide now if they wanted.

Two points that you have not considered. I have used linux for many years the main problem are the millions of existing versions and the bug continues. These bugs are also due to the rush to implement everything and more, while the stable versions have the disadvantage of having very old packages.

This is one of the reasons that led me to not use linux as my main os and that prompted me to try mac. Solve problems early can be fun but when with each update there is a little something to settle your nerves jump. Now I have installed ubuntu in virtual and I have to say that there have been steps forward but also using it just an occasional problem still has it. And I'm talking about ubuntu is that, as far as I rigurda, the distro with less hassle.

This means integrating immediately opengl 4.5. While I do not think the 4.1 version is too old. And I do not even seem that the software house using the latest version (just think that directx 12 will not be used immediately).
In osx opengl is part of the system. I tried myself to upgrade the version of mac but there are still several bugs to review.

The second thing is not considered, the hardaware a mac is not so low that it must be changed continuously and certainly if you compare portable laptops with a windows laptop still costs a lot if you have certain hardware.
Of course I will never play with my macbook ultra quality in the witcher 2 and, hence, at 3, but I do not care. Nor do I care that much to change internal parts to a laptop ... When I can no longer play with modern games will continue to play the games that run at this time and continue to use it for everything else.

From the point of view of a gamer i mac are not suitable from the point of view of a casual player are fine.

An example to consider ... even if I could not play the witcher 3 certainly will not buy a computer on purpose. And yet for all that I have to do (at this time also play in the future not to play but everything else does) my macbook will be fine for the next few years.

It happened a lot of times that gamers did similar considerations are thinking that all gamers.
Compare an imac with an assembled makes no sense and even less sense to compare a laptop with an assembly.
Compare an alienware laptop that weighs 6 kg with a retina that weighs more than 2 does not have the same sense.
It is not just a matter of hardware.
Changing the internal components is a feasible thing about an assembly.
Anyway, just do not play ultra details with the new games and you can play without any problems.
The software companies usually do not make games too heavy to make sure that even those who do not have your computer on purpose to play it. In fact, the witcher 2 is one of the heaviest.

Again I have used linux for years, but I never understood some reasoning ... looking at the prices of Macbook and Asus Zeenbook (to name one) the price difference was minimal and agreed with the student discount macbook.

That being said I really hope that there will be a version for mac, and I sincerely hope there will be one for linux.
I am a student who delights in creating video games. I use a free graphics engine, called Unity3d (which exists for windows and mac). I chose this graphic engine is not just because it is free, but also because it allows you to export all platforms (windows, mac, linux, android, ios, etc ...). For me to be cross-platform is much more important to have a high performance graphics. Even the story and the gameplay is more important than graphics.
I hope for that in the future all the graphics engines are cross-platform.

Last edited:
In general gamers probably use desktops more often than laptops, so Macbooks aren't really a very good use case. Laptops are overpriced and unless you have a good reason to pay for the mobile factor, you can save money while getting better specs in a custom built desktop computer.

That said, Linux distros can vary and rolling distros update often, but if some game targets the stable version of some distro it usually works OK. GOG for example support Mint and Ubuntu.

The Internet Explorer browser is seen as a joke by professionals in the field; it utilizes proprietary technology, never adheres to standards, and causes developers a lot of grief in getting compliant code to work in it. We use a series of litmus tests to rate how well a browser adheres to standards, and between Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera (who are now using Chrome's rendering engine) and IE, MSIE constantly has the least amount of updates done (their updates are usually security updates for bugs/holes) Between them all, IE is updated the least, and each time it is updated, its score that it garners is always last place against where the other browsers are. It must be horribly unsatisfying to work at Microsoft's IE team. To constantly strive to be in last place like that.

Fud, complete fud. Since IE10 and a bit before that it's top-notch and updated regularly (every month?). I don't use it because I have my habitudes but I'd have no problems using it.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...s-for-security-fixes-youll-need-new-features/

Fud, complete fud. Since IE10 and a bit before that it's top-notch and updated regularly (every month?). I don't use it because I have my habitudes but I'd have no problems using it.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...s-for-security-fixes-youll-need-new-features/

You said it yourself, you're a user of IE, not a developer. You have no idea what I'm talking about because you do not develop website applications to be compliant with Internet Explorer browsers. You're merely a user. Your concern with the browser goes as far as a consumer is concerned with the device, not a developer.

Heck even the article you linked to discussed nothing more than how Microsoft is attempting to adjust their development practices and versioning compared to other major browsers. This does not discuss the developer based issues that are prevalent with the browser.

IE11 scores a 379 vs. Chrome 36's 509 on HTML5 support. IE11 uses a proprietary ActiveX script that is not part of any standard. They also use a proprietary JScript variant on the standard JavaScript language. IE's document object model is non-compliant with standards, requiring developers having to create shivs and jerry-rig code to be conditionally mindful of not only IE11, but it's degraded performance and availability of functions in previous versions. Even the CSSOM in IE11 is non-compliant. The popular Acid3 test for IE8 scored 20/100, IE9 scored a 55/100. All the while, browsers like Chrome and Firefox have been scoring 100/100 time and time again. Head on over to caniuse.com and check out the MYRIAD of grids they have about what browsers have no, partial, and full support of features and you'll see IE takes the cake as having the most "no support" feature in the widest array of its browser versions. On top of that we have to write hacked code for conditional inline comments to keep our code bases singular, but support embedding different resources that have to be specifically written to handle IE's "unique" object models.

You're definitely just an end-user for IE. When you visit a site that doesn't work in IE, and you think "This must be a poorly made website", understand that chances are against you that the site's code is fine, even standardized, and your browser of choice is what's failing to interpret it properly.

Is IE11 better than IE6? Of course. It's worlds better. But compared to its competition, it's significantly behind the times when it comes to the backend.

You said it yourself, you're a user of IE, not a developer. You have no idea what I'm talking about because you do not develop website applications to be compliant with Internet Explorer browsers. You're merely a user. Your concern with the browser goes as far as a consumer is concerned with the device, not a developer.

Well, I developed adrientetar.github.io, limetext.org, rust-lang.org, fontforge.github.io... I used to use html5shim back in the days and a JS warning to redirect to browsehappy.com along with the X-Content-Attribute.
Its state today is nothing of what it used to be, if you ask me.

They also use a proprietary JScript variant on the standard JavaScript language.

Isn't this just an extension over JS based on the ECMA standard?

Well, I developed adrientetar.github.io, limetext.org, rust-lang.org, fontforge.github.io... I used to use html5shim back in the days and a JS warning to redirect to browsehappy.com along with the X-Content-Attribute.
Its state today is nothing of what it used to be, if you ask me.

Isn't this just an extension over JS based on the ECMA standard?

It's superfluous, non-standardized "extension" to JavaScript, not that it matters much until you have a developer who makes a site require JScript. I was of the belief before that "If you're going to use IE, at least use the latest version your OS supports" because it's better than the version before it, but comparatively to the other major browsers, IE is still responsible for a lot of headaches.

I respect the folks at Opera who moved their rendering engine over to webkit. Opera has a small share against the others, and argued, I understand the concerns people would have towards standardizing functionality and features (to the point where it demotes innovation), but I think the crews at Chrome and Firefox have been doing exceptional jobs in a collaborative effort towards that end, while Microsoft keeps trying to go off on its own tangent and make life miserable for developers.

This seems to be getting off-topic, doesn't it?

Well, the topic it seems to be getting off to is disputing each other's qualifications, and this usually ends in a way that the moderators have to clean up.

Disputes over qualifications, JavaScript, and other technologies not directly relevant to multiplatform support of Witcher 3 should be taken elsewhere.

Back to the topic. Since Marcin responded that CDPR can't answer technical questions from the community until closer to the release, I wonder why there are technical interviews from various journalists published. Are they staged to avoid topics that CDPR are not comfortable to discuss?

Back to the topic. Since Marcin responded that CDPR can't answer technical questions from the community until closer to the release, I wonder why there are technical interviews from various journalists published. Are they staged to avoid topics that CDPR are not comfortable to discuss?

Press releases and interviews, especially when they cover subjects the company is not required to discuss in the course of business, are always staged and always chosen to make the best impression. It is not done any other way by companies who pay competent attention to public relations.

"Staged to avoid topics that CDPR are not comfortable to discuss" is an unfair way of putting that, whether or not there is any truth in it.

The difference between a staged interview and non staged one is in the way they are organized. Staged interview usually means that the interviewer first discusses the list of questions with the company (or whoever is the subject of the interview) and if they can't answer something, they just remove those questions. Non staged interview is something that doesn't involve preparatory discussions, and if some questions touch on an NDA or whatever subject they can't comment on, they respond that "we can't comment on this at this time" or something of that sort.

I personally prefer the second type better since such interviews are more natural and more real reporting. That's why a press release isn't an interview really.

Last edited:
The difference between a staged interview and non staged one is in the way they are organized. Staged interview usually means that the interviewer first discusses the list of questions with the company (or whoever is the subject of the interview) and if they can't answer something, they just remove those questions. Non staged interview is something that doesn't involve preparatory discussions, and if some questions touch on an NDA or whatever subject they can't comment on, they respond that "we can't comment on this at this time" or something of that sort. I personally prefer the second time better since such interviews are more natural. That's why a press release isn't an interview really.

The point, though, is that you cannot demand them or make accusations that the company is afraid of conducting them. All interviews are publicity and always cost time and money to conduct. You do not use them to present material that you have stated you are not ready to present. Your audience has no choice but to accept your decision.

Having and NDA or even simply avoiding discussing something doesn't mean they are afraid of some subjects. For example if some plans aren't finalized, they might want to avoid discussing them in order not to set misleading expectations or anything of that sort. Or for instance if that involves some partners they still negotiate with, they might not want to publish related information either. It's not the matter of fear, simply the matter of not damaging some work in progress.

Still it doesn't mean that every interview has to be staged. They answered various Q&A in public events in the past, and they said it straight if they were not allowed to comment on some subjects. It can be circumstantial of course.

Last edited:
In general gamers probably use desktops more often than laptops, so Macbooks aren't really a very good use case. Laptops are overpriced and unless you have a good reason to pay for the mobile factor, you can save money while getting better specs in a custom built desktop computer.

That said, Linux distros can vary and rolling distros update often, but if some game targets the stable version of some distro it usually works OK. GOG for example support Mint and Ubuntu.

As I said in my previous post, not all those who play take a computer on purpose to play. It seems logical to the contrary.
To date, it is quite possible to play on laptop. Furthermore, the mobile factor is very important. I'm not just talking about those who absolutely need (eg academics) I also speak for everyone else. How many people nowadays prefer the tablet or smartphone to your computer? Just answer this question to understand how the mobile factor is important.
It is clear that for the same specifications a custom built desktop computer will cost less, but it is also clear that only those who have in mind to use the computer only at home and mainly as console will accept such a thing. Personally I prefer a laptop that can also play graphics media and pay more, rather than a desktop with whom to play ultra graphics and pay less. Simply because it is not only important play, everything else is done without problems, even the hardware of a air 11 ''. Indeed, if it were not for the cost of video games and the fact that with the gamepad I can not play, I'd rather take a console, that nowadays I understand they have a hardaware less than some laptops.
You can not play on ultra graphics laptop, but that does not mean they do not go well. Finally were done thousands of games in the past, many of them very beautiful, that no longer require an ultra computer, it is clear that even with a laptop you can easily play the games come out until a few years ago at ultra graphics.
Gog supports linux only a few months, the reason for this delay compared to mac is clear, 99% of the games on linux porting are made ​​with wine, there are few developers who are able to support linux and the problem is just the sheer amount of distro.
It is true that for mac native games there are not many but they exist.
For linux not, because almost always on linux you have to release the source code which is not all developers want to do. In spite of ideologies also the fact of forcing developers to release the source code goes against the freedom of the developer.
It also seems clear that many games are currently available or only for windows, or for windows and mac or for windows mac and linux.
There are no games just for linux, or just for windows and linux.

I am convinced that the reason why the Witcher 3 has not yet been announced for mac has nothing to do with opengl, specific mac etc. ... I am convinced that they have delayed the launch (again hypothetically because they have not announced anything) simply because they are convinced that even a year after release is a valid option. Too bad that in this way all the waiting will be waning and only those who really expect that game will buy it, also the gain will be much less than a year after ... (eg on gog I've had the witcher 1 and 2 together with another game cost less than $ 5. the witcher 3 for mac, I'd pay € 43 as required (which are more than $ 43) in my account gog. But if it release it a year later I will pay much less).

The only reason why I'm writing in this forum although I'm not an avid gamer (both the witcher I've finished very recently, in the normal mode 1 and 2 easy), it's because I like their philosophy of DRM free.
If it were not for this I care nothing of when or if the game comes out. If it came out just a year after I'd buy it a year later statement, if you do not come out for mac expect a good wrapper. If you do not come out a wrapper and, as in this case, the game I would just try it, it would play in the virtual. And if the game does not work it would play. They leave hundreds of games each year, and there are many good games. For the history of the saga of the Witcher, there are also books (I'm reading).
In short, the gaming is not just about playing ultra graphics at 60 fps fixed. What affects only the hardcore players. And only the hardcore gaming laptop refuses.
But as I understand it the hardcore players who refuse any os, which are not windows (because they have to change what you do not know, they are always to change their computer even if the update is only to play 3-4 latest headlines in ultra graphics, instead of high).

The point, however, is if they had announced the witcher 3 for mac I already spent € 43 for pre-order, so instead, if I take it, (maybe seeing the video on youtube I do not like it more) I will definitely be spending a lot less (less than half the price if it comes out a year later).

Last edited:
Mobile factor is not important if, well, you don't need to carry your computer around ;D I have a regular desktop computer at home, and while I have a laptop, I only use it when I need to go somewhere and carry it with me (for instance to some remote presentation or whatever). Otherwise laptop only limits what I can do. Tablets / handsets are a different matter altogether, they don't substitute regular computers, they supplement them.

I don't use Windows not because of the hardware upgrades, but because I don't trust it and don't want to use any closed OSes in general, especially if they are filled with DRM on top of that. So Linux is a natural choice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom