The Witcher 3 for Linux

+
The history of closed source is very ideological. Even as a kid I thought so, however, I realized that closed source and DRM are not comparable. Closed source is simply what they do all the games, do not show the source code, is something that, unless you're not a programmer, you should care relatively (and even then I assure you that read the code of others is not to nothing simple), particularly if the software works well (it is not the case with windows XD). Also because using many software I realized that some open source software really deserve (blender, firefox, vlc for example) than their counterparts, but there are too many closed source software that are worth a lot (Pixelmator, Unity3d, quicktime player (at least the the mac version use to record video, screen, and sound in addition to cutting parts of video)). Also OSX is an excellent os (I love the multitouch gesture in particular) and I admit that windows is not so bad (even though it has shortcomings that can not stand, as the multi-desktop missing).

Even linux (especially ubuntu distro) is excellent as an os. But it is one of those programs (gimp, open office) who have some serious fault. For example ubuntu lacks official support that is not the community, canonical does a job pretty rough and install ubuntu on efi can be quite boring. The community is a beautiful thing but it is a safe and solutions that damage can be confusing for a newcomer (I've seen answers that made ​​me white hair, some used the terminal when there was absolutely no need and that clearly newcomers would never have learned). gimp has an option for compassionate, open office is very heavy and did not support the docx (defects that his colleague did not open libre office).
The DRM restricts all, on a content that usually you pay for. It hurts in the first place who paid (and favors those who take the pirated version with no restrictions). It makes all the tedious and often interferes with the content, making even the heaviest viewing. This is not an ideological issue, it is practical.

For the mobile factor in part you are right. But one thing you think (it's a thing that when I had only the desktop computer I continually came back to mind) think the convenience of using the computer for home, wherever you want, if you want to see a movie while you're at dinner you can do, if you want to keep him on his legs on the couch and you can do it even when you're tired but you want to relax lying on the bed you can play a bit.
This convenience, I do not even serve the mobility (which I need), I can not just leave it aside.
Also I have not bought the laptop with the intention of playing. The dedicated graphics card do I need mainly the use of blender.
However, it is clear that at this time the only sector that requires a desktop computer with ultra graphics is videogames industry. This is because video games mainly use the video card and laptop to force things (save battery and stay thin for example) use the mobile versions of video cards. All other operations on computers require more CPU and fast disks (SSD), also take advantage of the most multi-core processors. Even the 3d rendering does not require GPU exaggerated (except in rare extreme cases).In fact, the only real problem is the rendering time, there are not problems such as fps in video games. But with time, and with the improvements in the mobile GPU, gradually also in the field of videogames may no longer need the desktop (just think about the fact that an intel integrated gpu is only a year behind the discrete gpu (also mobile)).
I avoid continuing the off topic that has lasted too much, we've gone from talking about the game to talk about personal preference.

Laptops will remain more expensive simply because of the extra mobility factor. Making them is more complicated, so desktops with the same processing power would always be cheaper to make. At the same time laptops are less modular so customization is not really their well supported function. Need to plug in another hard drive, or some obscure card? You'll have to deal with external adapters and what not. In desktops it's usually not an issue.

I also feel that tablets replace laptops to some degree for casual activity (like you mentioned the dining room and so on).

Yeah, there just needs to be a big enough initiative to make Linux look like a viable option for current and upcoming game developers, once if enough momentum is provided, this will snowball just like the browser wars that Microsoft once ruled.

I question the complexity of making a game with support for Windows, Linux and OS X. If it's so complicated, and costs so much then why do so many indie developers make Linux and OS X versions of their games? Why do studios behind Metro and Divinity Original Sin, Tropico & Civilization 5 (and many more) so happily make versions for Linux and OS X?

It just doesn't add up.

A gaming laptop will always be inferior, and because of the cramped space added to the hardware being pushed to the limit it severely decreases the life of a gaming laptop.

Last edited:
I question the complexity of making a game with support for Windows, Linux and OS X. If it's so complicated, and costs so much then why do so many indie developers make Linux and OS X versions of their games? Why do studios behind Metro and Divinity Original Sin, Tropico & Civilization 5 (and many more) so happily make versions for Linux and OS X?

It just doesn't add up.

A gaming laptop will always be inferior, and because of the cramped space added to the hardware being pushed to the limit it severely decreases the life of a gaming laptop.

I guess it really depends on the complexity of the game being written. Not only that, but whether you have a viable team (or a subset of them) who are skilled enough developers in the other platforms. I always give people the Ubisoft example. Ubi is a very console-centric developer, and it's obvious to me that their ported games for the PC platform are done so by a group of people who can get a game to run on the platform, but don't understand the intricacies and core differences between the platform. As such, the game attempts to run 1:1 apples to apples, which is usually a disservice to those using it on the ported-to platform.

It just doesn't add up.

As I said they are able to program some small game and I can answer your question. Making cross-platform video games can be simple or difficult, if you use the graphics engine supports different platforms do cross-platform video games is just a matter of minimal optimization.
Unity3d is an example of a widely used engine that can be exported for windows, mac and linux (as well as mobile), is free of charge and therefore many software houses novice use it. But other graphics engines do the same thing.
If, on the contrary, the graphics engine is designed for a single platform must rewrite practically the game from the beginning or alternatively to achieve a porting (this is true in particular for windows that uses directx).
The majority of video games for mac and linux porting are well made, it is often not an easy job and requires a doubling of the minimum resources. Personally, I have made ​​several port windows-only games, are clearly unofficial port. The games in question are often run without problems once you find the right configuration, but often with system updates these wrappers stop working.
There is also another type of port (the one made ​​with the witcher 2), I do not know exactly how it works (probably something like cider) but I know that the ini configurations are exclusive of windows. They then found a way to recompile the game for mac but without changing the way the game is organized on windows. This has led to bugs and the doubling of the minimum requirements.
Finally, there are the porting native, they are often the best port and the weather did not stop working. porting the natives have the best performance, but if the graphics engine used is designed for directx you have to have the knowledge to rewrite calls in opengl (knowledge that some did not).
Because many software companies do not use Unity3d? Simple, because this game engine does not guarantee high quality in the desktop, the mobile is specialized on the scope (where in a few years you will see the games similar to those for console and computer).
Only a few software houses already own an engine for mac, some have created but have not updated any more. cdprojekt not one of them (I think, maybe with TW3 the game will actually native).
Linux is a different kettle of fish. Even with Unity3d exporting the game to linux accept the fact that the sources are accessible. Few are willing to accept it, those who want to open their markets do usually with porting.
I hope the explanation is clear.
Ubisoft, however, has in fact brought two native games on mac, but he used an old technology that only works on osx 10.5 and 10.6 limiting future port natives.
In practice, the engine was poorly designed for mac and she found herself having to upgrade. Only recently has managed to partly solve the problems with AC2.
Blizzard is an example of a company that has an engine for mac running. Diablo 3 on mac it works fine.
Probably IO Interactive has an excellent engine (looking hitman absolution), but only recently realized (in fact the previous chapters are windows-only).
the problem of port wine is also made ​​to be perfect to be sold. TW1 is a perfect example of bad port, crashes constantly, it is impossible to play is slow to load and cdprojekt has never updated. Probably a few years ago was the best port possible today by updating the version of wine you get a port much more stable, with the possibility of playing in the window (instead of full screen), with very few graphic bugs. But those bugs graphics make this new port unmarketable. In practice, they continue to sell the old version without graphic bugs (but unplayable) and do not sell a new version with bug graphics (but no other defects). I'm not even interested in creating something better. And it's a real shame because personally TW1, I consider it more than 2.

You speak as if all the technology in future laptops will never allow modularity. I will not talk more about this subject, I love the laptop and I will not use either desktop was impossible to play. I prefer in every case the laptop.
Different opinions, I hope it is clear that neither I nor you have to convince the other.

The Witcher 3 WIld Hunt linux release falsely confirmed?

With a quick google search, you can see that multiple sources state that The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt has been confirmed for linux and Steamos and this was also advertised on Steam store. The problem is now, some sources say that it is not even in development.

So the question is: is there going to be a linux version released along side other platforms?

I would hate to pre-order the game and not be able to play it on my desired platform.

With a quick google search, you can see that multiple sources state that The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt has been confirmed for linux and Steamos and this was also advertised on Steam store. The problem is now, some sources say that it is not even in development.

So the question is: is there going to be a linux version released along side other platforms?

I would hate to pre-order the game and not be able to play it on my desired platform.

More than likely it is going to come out later. Just saying. :)

This is true, however I would like to see the developers or a representative give an actual annoucement for this, as now we don't know whats happening.

Well you wouldn't preorder a game that's not been announced for your platform now would you? As of yet there hasn't been any official announcement so hold off for now.

With a quick google search, you can see that multiple sources state that The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt has been confirmed for linux and Steamos

All those sources were always speculating. I saw no official source which claimed such support, especially at release time. And refutation was posted in this very thread above.

I.e. now the only official answer is: "It's not coming at release time. Later we'll see". And my personal feeling is that they didn't even start developing it, but that's just a guess.

Questions to developers about OpenGL support in RedEngine and etc. are included in the technical community Q&A (see this thread), but CDPR said they won't be able to answer them until closer to the release. So we'll have to wait. Practical outcome is clear however - if you want to play the game on Linux, definitely don't preorder / order it until the Linux version is officially confirmed.

Last edited:
I guess we will just have to wait. What gives me a little hope is that they're not outright saying no and the fact TW2 has been ported to Linux regardless if it's not fully native.

I guess we will just have to wait. What gives me a little hope is that they're not outright saying no and the fact TW2 has been ported to Linux regardless if it's not fully native.

TW2 is using an older engine which is using DirectX 9, and TW3 is using DirectX 11. TW2 was ported to Linux by VirtualProgramming using their eON wrapper. While there is an indication that they started adding DX11 features in eON, I doubt they fully support it yet. And I hope that TW3 won't be using any wrappers and will be a proper native OpenGL version.

TW2 is using an older engine which is using DirectX 9, and TW3 is using DirectX 11. TW2 was ported to Linux by VirtualProgramming using their eON wrapper. While there is an indication that they started adding DX11 features in eON, I doubt they fully support it yet. And I hope that TW3 won't be using any wrappers and will be a proper native OpenGL version.

The problem is that linux isn't as popular compared to windows, and developers need to profit in order to make more games. If steamos kicks off, we may be seeing more AAA games using eON, and some being fully native. The redux versions of the Metro games to my knowledge are native but Bioshock Infinite is rumored to be using the eON wrapper (which some like to say is not a wrapper). I would love to see The Witcher 3 fully native if they release it for linux, but I don't see it happening.

This whole popularity issue is not true. While Linux is not as common as Windows (because MS tries to do all they can to keep it that way), there are enough Linux users to have profit from sales, as developers of games with Linux versions can attest. However, it's not so straightforward and depends a lot on the game. In general, more successful games have easier time. I doubt TW3 will have a popularity problem.

Last edited:
This whole popularity issue is not true. While Linux is not as common as Windows (because MS tries to do all they can to keep it that way), there are enough Linux users to have profit from sales, as developers of games with Linux versions can attest. However, it's not so straightforward and depends a lot on the game. In general, more successful games have easier time. I doubt TW3 will have a popularity problem.

Very true. There is a large amount of hype for TW3.

We don't know why CDPR havn't decided to release for linux or osx (or I haven't read about it) and we may never know; they have been reluctant to discuss these platforms (again, I may not have read enough about this). Hopefully sometime in the future they'll be more willing to talk about this and even perhaps decide to release the game on linux hopefully natively, but if anything it would most likely be using eON.

Also, MS have stated that Windows 10 will be the last os they will make, and with that many have theorised that they are going to be using subscriptions for new features and updates which could lead to steamos/linux becoming more popular for gaming and CDPR releasing their games for theses operating systems.

Top Bottom