The Witcher 3 for Linux

+
Is there anymore on that mysterious steam ad? There are some who still believe its been confirmed for linux.

CDPR said they don't have Linux support for TW3, but they avoided commenting on the ad. No idea why. It could be anything from prank or mistake on Valve's part to CDPR first considering Linux support at release time and later dropping the idea.

So far the best bet to get some info on plans such as Linux support and OpenGL development is technical community Q&A which CDPR will be able to address in February. I hope they won't avoid it because they'll be too busy with the release. At least it was proposed to make it closer to the release, not after it.

Last edited:
I went though the thread and didn't seem to find any mention of this, unless I accidently went over it.

On the wishlist of GOG there is a wish to bring CDPR's games to linux, if this was successful do you guys think that it would be done? They seem to fulfil wishes that recieve a certain amount of votes, however it seems some do not recieve any reconistion even if they get 15000+ votes. This one has been up for a while though.

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/t...itcher_3_and_your_other_games_to_linux_please

Last edited:
Witcher 3 on Linux and Mac OSX is waste of money imo, possible sales are very small

I thought this too at one point. However, the user base of linux is estimated to be in the millions and several companies are showing support for Linux after Valve started working on the Steam Machines. I don't think profits will be an issue anymore.

GOG has a potential to sell 2000 copies to linux users; http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/t...itcher_3_and_your_other_games_to_linux_please

Steam has a potential to sell 754000 copies to linux users and 2249000 copies to mac users; for steam I had to use simple math to figure out how many users ran linux by using the following links

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/30/...on-active-accounts-6-million-concurrent-users
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=combined

UPDATE: I used peak user count (8.5 million) instead of active accounts (65 million). Sorry about that, my mistake.

Last edited:
Witcher 3 on Linux and Mac OSX is waste of money imo, possible sales are very small

No, it's not a waste of money, because it's investing in their REDengine to run on those platforms, which will make it more valuable for other developers (CDPR still plan to license it to others as well, remember?). Plus if sales are sufficient for other studios to produce Linux builds why would it be too small for CDPR?

---------- Updated at 12:03 AM ----------

GOG has way higher potential than that.

It's probably just too much workload to try to do it in parallel with the main development, and have to test and support on so many environments. Just speculating, but I would expect it to be a repeat of what happened with the other two games - that when it's been released, and patched as necessary, on the Windows platforms, they'll bring out the Mac and Linux versions.

It's probably just too much workload to try to do it in parallel with the main development, and have to test and support on so many environments. Just speculating, but I would expect it to be a repeat of what happened with the other two games - that when it's been released, and patched as necessary, on the Windows platforms, they'll bring out the Mac and Linux versions.

Most probably. Though more and more studios now develop all versions simultaneously. I think it depends on their development teams. If they have expertise for all of those platforms in house, it's easier to develop all at the same time. But I suspect CDPR simply have no OpenGL developers at present (note that their previous games for Linux and OS X were made by subcontractors). May be going forward they'll hire more people for that.

Mac OSX.
A version of Witcher and Witcher 2 both exist for Mac OSX.
Witcher was released simply with a cider wrapper, [could have been wine], and released via Steam.
[There was much conversation about this on the forums back in the day, due to obvious reasons.]

Witcher 2, I do not recall if they actually did a port or a wrapper like previous.

It stands that one could apply a cider/wine wrapper to a legally purchased version of Witcher 3.
Though, there are obvious drawbacks to this, and a native port would be desired.

Also, as one user pointed out, it would be nice for those who wish to use the new RedEngine for Mac users.
Mac version of the previous games or not, you cannot use their Redkit for mods - very unfortunate for Mac users. :)

In light of the fact that they wish to actually make money off of the new RedEngine, for those who wish to develop games, [not talking of mods], it would make sense for them to allow for Mac development as well. After all, we have so many options now for gaming engines... from UNREAL for Mac and Unity.

But it could be slightly beyond their scope, only they know what they will be able to achieve, within a given time frame, with this. I have not seen much more about this.

Mac OSX.
A version of Witcher and Witcher 2 both exist for Mac OSX.
Witcher was released simply with a cider wrapper, [could have been wine], and released via Steam.
[There was much conversation about this on the forums back in the day, due to obvious reasons.]

Witcher 2, I do not recall if they actually did a port or a wrapper like previous.

Witcher 1 for OS X is Wine wrapped, and Witcher 2 for OS X and Linux uses eON wrapper (it's a proprietary wrapper by Virtual Programming similar to Valve's ToGL).

It stands that one could apply a cider/wine wrapper to a legally purchased version of Witcher 3.
Though, there are obvious drawbacks to this, and a native port would be desired.

Not really, Wine has no support for DirectX 11 yet. And even eON doesn't have it as far as I know (at least yet).

Last edited:
Can I play TW3 on the best Alieware Alpha console?
I want an edge over the XB1 & PS4, is it worth it, anybody know?!?
What is the edge over these 2 consoles? Thanks for the help ;)

The technical requiements for The Witcher 3 can be found here

You can play it with windows 8.1, depending if it meets the hardware requirements. If you have Steamos or other linux os installed you will have to either stream from a powerful windows pc, or just play it on said pc as the game has not been confirmed for linux. In regards to the graphics, I'm not sure that there is an edge or not, as CDPR is aiming to get the best graphics possible for each console. I do not know too much about this current generations console graphics compared to current pc graphics but there will most likely be better performance on pc due to better hardware.

Last edited:
CDPR are hiring a network programmer for Cyberpunk 2077 with experience in Linux: http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/senior-network-programmer/

Not really an indicator of their Linux efforts since it can mean just server side, but still something interesting.

Most likely for servers unfortunately, linux is popular when it comes to servers. We haven't had any offical news for linux games from CDPR since TW2, and I think the uproar caused from it not being native may be a reason why we won't have another linux game from them for a long while.

If they are serious about it, they'll hire people and make it native. And they said in the past they are interested but wait for SteamOS. Steam Machines are supposed to become available this year (announced on GDC2015 in March), so there will be some serious movement.

If they are serious about it, they'll hire people and make it native. And they said in the past they are interested but wait for SteamOS. Steam Machines are supposed to become available this year (announced on GDC2015 in March), so there will be some serious movement.

Valve is also going to be presenting glNext at GDC, the successor to OpenGL, which will compete with Directx12.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/software/80414-valve-present-glnext-high-performance-graphics-gdc/

http://www.pcgamer.com/opengl-successor-to-be-unveiled-at-gdc-session/

Top Bottom