The Witcher 3 for Linux

+
Another strange thing from Valve:

Notice what's in the right row, second from the bottom. And what they say on top:

The year's most popular games are headed to SteamOS

That's already weird. If the first one was a mistake, what is this one about? Valve have no quality control or something?

Guest 3790055

This year shoud be Valve entrance in hardware (GDC started to prove it and Pax is this week end) so that's logical that they start advertise Steam OS now.
That means a TW3 port is coming (after the original release though) alongside other big games.

Yeah, Its hard to believe Valve would make a mistake like that, theyre outting a lot of games there too like Arkham Knight.

The real question is.... When? Steam machines formally launch in November so thats probably the safe bet.

I just found it myself and was going to post something about it. Hopefully it's not a redo of what happened last year.

Pre-ordering Witcher 3 on GOG for the Linux version?

Valve recently announced a major SteamOS sale, where Witcher 3 was listed as a future title. Many see that as an official confirmation (from Valve) that Witcher is coming to Linux sometime in the future.

I tried contacting GOG in order to clarify if Linux version of the Witcher 3 is now really officially confirmed, and pre-ordering it on GOG will guarantee getting it there sometime later. GOG however said that this question should be addressed directly to CD Projekt Red. So I'm posting this question here. Can you please clarify? Can I pre-order Witcher 3 on GOG now in order to get the Linux version? Or you recommend not do it until more details on this matter are published?

@Marcin Momot : Can you please direct this question to CDPR?

Thanks.

Banner from Steam front page:

Yep, posted here as well.

---------- Updated at 09:24 PM ----------

Let's assume it's legit. My concern is that if CDPR won't confirm it, it can mean that they won't manage distribution or there can be some exclusive agreement to release it through Steam only (sounds unlikely, but not impossible). So we need really some solid clarification about all this.

@jerf @Aryvandaar @Licaon_Kter @Glaroug : CDPR remained silent, so the outcome of this looks to me like "TW3 for Linux remains unconfirmed". I wouldn't take Valve's ads against CDPR's non confirmation. For all practical purposes - nothing is coming to Linux as far as I understand. So it's better not to preorder it on GOG until CDPR will comment on this.

Another problem that I see is that Redkit so far wasn't ported to Linux. So most likely any Redkit mods for TW3 won't be usable when the Linux version will come out (if it ever will), same as it's now with Redkit TW2 mods.

Another strange thing from Valve:

Notice what's in the right row, second from the bottom. And what they say on top:

That's already weird. If the first one was a mistake, what is this one about? Valve have no quality control or something?

Banner from Steam front page:

Both are no longer on the Steam website and to be fair all the other games advertisments were taken down as well. If nothing is said about this again I'm going to be annoyed.

If CDPR doesn't give us a response, should we email Gabe Newell? He is notorious for replying to his emails and maybe we'll have a better chance of getting an answer.

Last edited:
HI,

Is there any official news regarding Witcher 3 coming to Steam O/S, the title was announced by Valve at GDC along with a number of others and the Witcher 3 is the only one I cant find any official details for. I would love to know if this is actually happening?

Source: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...-out-payday-2-mordor-and-more-coming-too.5047

At this point in time CDPR has not given any statements in regards to Steamos/Linux support for The Witcher 3. During an interview they said they have no plans for releasing the game for the platform but maybe later on. Valve on the other hand has a different idea on what is happening and seem to be advertising the game as a Steamos title. All attempts in contacting CDPR for clarification have been futile as they outright did not respond to any questions.

The interview I'm refering to is a little old, things may have changed but nothing offical has come out.

Last edited:
@ajgp85 : CDPR did confirm it in answering direct question, but they didn't yet make a public statement. They said it will come soon. So I suppose we should wait a bit.

Last edited:
@ajgp85 : CDPR did confirm it in answering direct question, but they didn't yet make a public statement. They said it will come soon. So I suppose we should wait a bit.

Well thats good to hear, shame there is no official statement, I am playing through Witcher 2 on my linux partition and I have had decent performance from the outset with the EON port; granted native red-engine support would be nicer. Guess I will await official confirmation.

Top Bottom