The Witcher 3 for Linux

+
It's been a while now, which probably means they'll announce it closer to the release of Steam Machines in November.
That's possible. I have no idea what prevents them from announcing it. May be they didn't finalize who is going to make the work, or they didn't finalize when and so on.

So that's it then, until they get their PR straight I'll hang on, I'll buy it when they announce it for Linux the proper way, which store, or box or whatever.

So that's it then, until they get their PR straight I'll hang on, I'll buy it when they announce it for Linux the proper way, which store, or box or whatever.

Same here. I'm not buying it until CDPR will make a public announcement and provide an ETA. Since until then it's not even vaporware.

AndroidWorks

So, NVIDIA released AndroidWorks SDK for Android game development and SHIELD Console with Maxwell-based GPU. As far as I understand, Tegra X1 supports OpenGL 4.5, so, it can handle games with rich graphics like Witcher 2 and maybe even Witcher 3. NVIDIA claims that SHIELD is faster than Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/05/29/androidworks/

I'd prefer CDPR to port games to regular Linux instead of Android. However if they'll make an OpenGL or even Vulkan backend for the engine, it would be easier to port to any platform which supports it. I doubt however that any mobile GPU like latest Tegra can handle TW3 yet.

Last edited:
I'd prefer CDPR to port games to regular Linux instead of Android
As far as I know, there are no consoles based on classic GNU/Linux. OEMs use Android on multiple commercial devices for mass-market, and I don't know any top-tier OEMs that use GNU/Linux distros on commercial hardware. So, I'm sure that CDPR's revenue from TWBA on Android is bigger than revenue from TW2 on Linux.

I doubt however that any mobile GPU like latest Tegra can handle TW3 yet.
Maybe, but according to NVIDIA, Tegra X1 has twice more horsepower than Xbox 360 (512 GFLOPS vs 240 GFLOPS on Xbox 360, and 16 GTexel/s vs. 8 GTexel/s), so it can work with TW2.

As far as I know, there are no consoles based on classic GNU/Linux.

I personally don't care about consoles, since I play games on PC (with Linux), however Valve with different manufacturers plan to release gaming consoles using regular GNU/Linux as an operating system. I.e. Steam Machines.

Last edited:
Witcher 3 for Mac?

Hi!

What are the plans for a Mac version for Witcher 3? The earlier Witcher series eventually came out with their Mac versions. I'm just hoping that it won't be a long wait. ::)

If there is already an ongoing thread on this topic, please just point me to it. TIA!

There's no ongoing thread, so consider this it.
There's also been no announcement of any Mac version.

Last edited:
I know you don't want to hear this but just install windows(yes I use Linux too).

@Lovz89: I avoid Windows because it's a closed DRMed system, and I have little respect for Microsoft and don't want to support them by buying their systems. I hope this clarifies my reasons.

I use Linux for gaming, since it's my primary desktop OS.

Last edited:
Witcher 3 on linux?

So I just bought TW3 on steam during the steam sales in a fit of excitement as I have been wanting to play this game for a looooooooooong time now. Unfortunately for me I did not realise that it was not supported on linux, I had assumed since TW2 was indeed supported fabulously on linux that TW3 would be as well.

Could someone shed some light onto the matter? Will TW3 be coming to linux any time soon, or can I play it in wine, or should I just get a refund and walk away from the series disappointed. I don't mind having to wait for it to come out on linux, but if I must do so more than a couple weeks, I shall surely be asking for my money back through steam and repurchasing when it is out.

It appears I made a huge mistake in spending AUD $100 on this game. (I wouldn't have a problem with that if I could actually play it :p)

There's been no announcement of it coming out on Linux, except for a strange announcement within Steam itself many months ago, that was quickly taken down again and was therefore probably someone at Steam making a mistake.

I'm not sure about Wine, so maybe someone will clarify on it later, but if you paid AUD100, it doesn't seem like much of a bargain. Personally, I'd recommend going for the refund and picking it up again later. I think (but don't know) that it will happen eventually, as it did with TW2.

Well, I seem to remember that as some point it was said TW3 would get a "SteamOS version", which is pretty much marketing embellishment for a Linux version of the client.

There's been no announcement of it coming out on Linux, except for a strange announcement within Steam itself many months ago, that was quickly taken down again and was therefore probably someone at Steam making a mistake.

I'm not sure about Wine, so maybe someone will clarify on it later, but if you paid AUD100, it doesn't seem like much of a bargain. Personally, I'd recommend going for the refund and picking it up again later. I think (but don't know) that it will happen eventually, as it did with TW2.
Ok thank you very much. That clears it up a lot.

If I can't get it working in a Virtual machine (not ideal) I will get a refund.

Well, I seem to remember that as some point it was said TW3 would get a "SteamOS version", which is pretty much marketing embellishment for a Linux version of the client.

Yup. But again, it was really weird - just a single announcement from Steam of a list of games, never followed up and with zero input from CDPR. Maybe it's true, maybe someone used the TW3 logo by mistake for the TW2 one. Not enough to justify spending money on it at the moment.

I'd treat it as a "probably, sometime" at the moment rather than anything definite.

I wrote to CDPR directly, and they answered that they plan a Linux release, and that the public announcement is going to be "soon". That was in March. Nothing happened since then announcements wise. Pretty much all public communication by CDPR ignored their Linux plans. I have no idea if that still stands or may be their plans changed since then.

---------- Updated at 10:53 PM ----------

Could someone shed some light onto the matter? Will TW3 be coming to linux any time soon, or can I play it in wine, or should I just get a refund and walk away from the series disappointed.

You can't play it in Wine - it uses DX11 and Wine isn't going to support it any time soon. I recommend you to write directly to CD Projekt Red and ask them this question. Some contacts here:

http://en.cdprojektred.com/
https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/Contact/Contact_details

Try using some of those e-mails. I used "business inquiries".

---------- Updated at 11:00 PM ----------

Yup. But again, it was really weird - just a single announcement from Steam of a list of games, never followed up

Actually it happened two times (with quite a long time in between), and I strongly doubt they can make such a mistake twice, with CDPR calmly ignoring it:

Number 1:

Number 2:

Last edited:
Yup, maybe it's just that CDPR isn't ready to announce anything yet.

They could say so, instead of ignoring all the people who probably erroneously bought the game based on those advertisements (which I'd call false). If they aren't committed to such release - they can say they aren't. And if they are - they can say so as well. Not saying anything is not helping anyone.

It appears that Umbra 3D has no Linux version, and it's a major middleware component of the Witcher 3 (it's responsible for occlusion culling). So far there is no indication they even plan a Linux release, so what it means for TW3 port is replacing Umbra with something else, or waiting for Umbra to make a Linux release (which can take who knows how long).

Top Bottom