The Witcher 3 for Linux

+
I wrote to CDPR directly, and they answered that they plan a Linux release, and that the public announcement is going to be "soon". That was in March. Nothing happened since then announcements wise. Pretty much all public communication by CDPR ignored their Linux plans. I have no idea if that still stands or may be their plans changed since then.

Well I have a similar response (more recent than March), nothing other than to watch social media; Im really torn as to wether I should continue my playthrough on Windows (Im only just past White Orchard), or too hold out a while longer and see what comes of it.

It appears that Umbra 3D has no Linux version, and it's a major middleware component of the Witcher 3 (it's responsible for occlusion culling). So far there is no indication they even plan a Linux release, so what it means for TW3 port is replacing Umbra with something else, or waiting for Umbra to make a Linux release (which can take who knows how long).

I have seen reference to Umbra 3 working on Linux, but it maybe refering to the 'cloud' version, how that affects things im not sure, but would hate it if that meant a Linux version was always online!

I have a similar response (more recent than March), nothing other than to watch social media

How recent? Things can change fast, and without updates and some public announcements, I don't really except anything to be guaranteed.

Im really torn as to wether I should continue my playthrough on Windows <...> or too hold out a while longer and see what comes of it.

I'm not going to use Windows for it. I'll buy the game when it will come out for Linux and I really hope CDPR will fix this situation and will release their future games for Linux on day one.

have seen reference to Umbra 3 working on Linux, but it maybe refering to the 'cloud' version, how that affects things im not sure, but would hate it if that meant a Linux version was always online!

It is about the cloud version. There is no information about it being available for Linux proper. It's surely not a replacement for proper occlusion culling library.

How recent? Things can change fast, and without updates and some public announcements, I don't really except anything to be guaranteed.

At 16:31 UK time today...

saying working on it, but no announcement as still work in progress.

I'm not going to use Windows for it. I'll buy the game when it will come out for Linux and I really hope CDPR will fix this situation and will release their future games for Linux on day one.

I know Im a bad Linux advocate for already getting the game, this is the first slip since trying to switch to Linux for my gaming fix.

At 16:31 UK time today...

saying working on it, but no announcement as still work in progress.

Thanks for sharing! I was starting to become convinced that the Linux version had been canned (or never existed). I really don't understand why CDPR doesn't just say something and just completely ignores the Linux community.

Thanks for sharing! I was starting to become convinced that the Linux version had been canned (or never existed). I really don't understand why CDPR doesn't just say something and just completely ignores the Linux community.

Thinking of it. Imagine such scenario (purely hypothetically):

1. CDPR decide to make TW3 for Linux.
2. Management nods to engineers to review what it would take (either they do it in-house, or they need to hire experts, if they have no Linux developers).
3. After review, engineers point out, that their engine is far from cross platform and critical middleware components (like Umbra 3D for example) are missing.
4. CDPR evaluate whether they can replace them or not. Let's say they figure out that replacing them is a monumentally hard task. They turn to Umbra developers and ask them whether it's possible to port that middleware to Linux.
5. Umbra developers say "since you are our valued customer, we'll think about it".
6. They think. Meanwhile CDPR can already start working on the prototype but with missing middleware.
7. They come back and say - "it will take us half a year" (may be it involves CDPR paying them?).
8. CDPR developers wait for half a year, and have no clue whether Umbra actually would succeed or not - it's not in their hands.
9. If we are lucky, Umbra (and the rest of missing middleware pieces) produce the Linux release.
10. CDPR can go ahead and actually finish the game (and probably at that point they can comfortably announce their plans).

I suspect things are somewhere at step 5-6. Or in the best case at step 7-8. That's why no announcement was made. Just my guess of course - all that can be completely wrong and CDPR may be are waiting for Vulkan spec finalization :)

Last edited:
Is there still a planned Mac version of this game?
I don't think they even voiced such plans. Feel free to contact CDPR directly through e-mail, because they are not talkative about that on the forums, at least in my experience. For thread about improving communication see here.

Last edited:
November 10th is approaching. I wonder if it's a deal with Valve that prevents CDPR from publishing information about planned Linux release of TW3, or it's something else? They announced release dates for Windows, PS and Xbox way in advance, and here they just say "we don't have a date yet". Such kind of project can't be developed without expected timelines really.

Last edited:
November 10th is approaching. I wonder if it's a deal with Valve that prevents CDPR from publishing information about planned Linux release of TW3, or it's something else? They announced release dates for Windows, PS and Xbox way in advance, and here they just say "we don't have a date yet". Such kind of project can't be developed without expected timelines really.

What if they never planned a Linux release? :eek:

Lets hope it comes before blood and wine

There is some chance it will come out on November 10th, but I'm not counting on it. CDPR never showed any practical signs of working on the Linux port or hiring Linux developers, so it can be at any stage now or even outsourced to some third party like happened with TW2.

---------- Updated at 05:07 PM ----------

By the way, Umbra 3D developers confirmed, that their occlusion culling library fully supports Linux, so it can't be a blocker for TW3.

Just for the reference, another similar confirmation for work in progress:

Last edited:
And how do we know that is even real in the first place?

Multiple people received similar responses (I did too). So I know it's valid (i.e. not a forged response). But lack of details about release time is strange. Of course I can't guarantee what CDPR are actually doing.

---------- Updated at 12:43 PM ----------

Look what some just discovered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fs2Yh1PFwM&t=42s
A possible demo of Witcher 3 running on Linux!

Last edited:
---------- Updated at 12:43 PM ----------

A possible demo of Witcher 3 running on Linux!

I wouldn't read too much into that. The same video also shows Wolfenstein New Order as an example. I mean, would be great if Bethesda started making Linux games, and both Witcher 3 and WNO were already running on Linux, but I wouldn't see this video as confirmation. I'll be happy to be proven wrong though.

I wouldn't read too much into that. The same video also shows Wolfenstein New Order as an example. I mean, would be great if Bethesda started making Linux games, and both Witcher 3 and WNO were already running on Linux, but I wouldn't see this video as confirmation. I'll be happy to be proven wrong though.
Yeah, I wouldn't count on Bethesda - they are too backwards thinking legacy type of the publisher to do that.

November 10th is approaching. I personally think that prospects of getting TW3 are low, but I'll gladly accept that I was wrong if it would actually come out tomorrow ;D

Top Bottom