The Witcher 3 from Steam to GOG

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

iCake

Forum veteran
The Witcher 3 from Steam to GOG

Just a simple question. Can I somehow redeem my "steam" copy of the Wicther 3 in GOG? I tried to manually add the game and directed the client to the game installation folder, but it says no games has been found :)

It's not a biggy, but it would be nice to have the game on GOG.

Not in that direction. If you have a Gog code from (for example) the physical copy, it can be redeemed on Steam, but not vice versa.

However, if you decide to buy the Gog version, your locally-stored Steam save files will work just fine. ;)

Not in that direction. If you have a Gog code from (for example) the physical copy, it can be redeemed on Steam
Kind of strange, since it means Valve allows it. I'd expect GOG to be more willing to do it (same owners after all), no? They already do it for TW1 and TW2.

Are there any for digital versions of the games on Steam? If so, where do I need to look?

I suppose that code should be provided somewhere in your Steam account. But I'm not using Steam, so I can't say in more detail. If you aren't sure, you can contact GOG support.

Kind of strange, since it means Valve allows it. I'd expect GOG to be more willing to do it (same owners after all), no? They already do it for TW1 and TW2.

No, it's because CDPR were willing to do it. They run a site where you can "exchange" your Gog code for a Steam code. Because they knew that a lot of people wanted the physical version but to redeem it on Steam. It has nothing to do with Valve - they just see a Steam code.

In the other direction, it's both unnecessary (there are no authorised sellers of the Steam code except Steam), and probably not technically feasible (it would need to run checks with Valve to make sure the code hadn't been used).

---------- Updated at 04:23 PM ----------

Um, it asks for a digital code :) Are there any for digital versions of the games on Steam? If so, where do I need to look?

Go into your Steam Library, right-click on the game, and there's a view CD Key option

That was how I found mine, anyway, and I'm assuming this is still valid advice, although I'm not seeing the option in the library right now under any games. It's still the advice given in the Steam support faqs.

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
Go into your Steam Library, right-click on the game, and there's a view CD Key option

That was how I found mine, anyway, and I'm assuming this is still valid advice, although I'm not seeing the option in the library right now under any games. It's still the advice given in the Steam support faqs.

Thanks, I remember something of the sort, but it appears that now you have to have your game installed to get to see its digital code. When you start the game, you'll have a prompt in the overlay with your key. Off to install them now.

If you select your game in the library you should have "cd-key" option in the right section.
View attachment 70551

Attachments

• witcher-key.jpg
    witcher-key.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 235
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom