"The Witcher 3 Has 96 Animations Just For Geralt's Combat"

+
It's almost like games change during development!

I'm pretty sure they cut most of those animations from the final game, just like they did that sweet dynamic combat stance in the 2014 e3 build. I also keep wondering why they made his walking, jogging and jumping animations so inferior in the final build.

by "sweet dynamic combat stance" you mean him holding his sword with both hands? yeah because that one animation is so important...

you mean the walking and jogging animations that didnt react to the terrain whatsoever? meaning he was doing the same exact animation going up and down the hill, like he was a 2d sprite?

as for the OP... just open geralts w2anim files, there are literally hunderds of different combat animations... each one can be played with the command:

thePlayer.PlayerStartAction(PEA_SlotAnimation, animName);

just make a function like this in a new empty scritpt

exec function pa (animName : name) {
}

and then call it from the console with pa( the animation name you want)

http://pastebin.com/2nN0k39u

heres the dump of some geralts combat animations...... have fun with the ~800 animations....

Last edited:
by "sweet dynamic combat stance" you mean him holding his sword with both hands? yeah because that one animation is so important...

you mean the walking and jogging animations that didnt react to the terrain whatsoever? meaning he was doing the same exact animation going up and down the hill, like he was a 2d sprite?

as for the OP... just open geralts w2anim files, there are literally hunderds of different combat animations... each one can be played with the command:

}

heres the dump of some geralts combat animations...... have fun with the ~800 animations....

Beautiful post.

I can confirm that there are 524 sword animations in that code excerpt.

It's almost like games change during development!

Yeah, but saying he'll have 90 and giving him about 12 is a sign something went really wrong. One of my beefs is he repeats the same bloody spinning move over, and over and over.

..ok I read the post above me. Maybe he has 90? I don't know, but TW1 and TW2 cycled the variety beautifully and TW3 definitely does not.

Last edited:
Nope. It was definitely sword animations. They talked about signs, parries and dodges separately. I remember them saying Geralt's sword animations had gone up to 96 from Witcher 2's 20. Hell, they even said you could choose between a fast and strong stance/style

Yes, they said "combat animations", and next said about different parry, and sing as an example.

}

the E3 animations clearly had missing parts like for climbing and going downhile ( the game was being made duh ! ), but they were far superior artistically and made sense " physically " for what a witcher is supposed to be

you can put all the amount of animations you want in the final project, if they dont look right artistically, it does not matter, look at how much threads exist asking for aniamtions change to geralt and specifically if modders can recover the E3 version ... final geralt walking animation is like a peasants who was passing by and someone told him to play the witcher role, waving his hands look so stupid

i will not even start about combat animations wich looked more nervous and dramatic overall because of the speed and the camera angles ( they were changed again for inferior options )

Last edited:
@essenthy While this may be correct, the question was about "They said there would be 96 animations for combat, where are they?". He is simply showing that just by looking at the files, there are more than 500 combat animations just for swords. I'd agree if the post was about "The animations should be improved" and not about "They lied to us about the number of animations in the game.". Because the second point is simply not true. The animations (many times more of the mentioned number, actually) are there. Their quality... we can discuss :)

And I'm certain, I don't want CDPR to show ANY footage of CP2077 until there are like 2-3 months to the game's release. Everyone will be happy that way, I assume. No more chance to look at the old footage and want the game to look like that... So that we can finally judge the game for what it is, not for what it was supposed to be.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why reactions to this type of thing result in such bitterness. Building a game is a creative process -- not everything conceived of or intended makes it into the finished piece. A major part of the process is killing your darlings in order to ensure a cohesive whole. Cutting room floor and so forth.

For combat animations in particular, animations have to work with the combat mechanics. Now, if I click attack, and any one of 500+ different combat animations may randomly play...I imagine that would be quite hard to follow. While it might "look cool", it would also make it virtually impossible predict what the result of any attack was going to be. It would be very difficult develop a feel for the real-time pacing of combat, as there would be no familiar pattern to the animations. It would likely create a poor sense of control over Geralt's actions and would probably be more distracting than effective in practice.

Now, for a turn-based game or a system like Dragon Age: Origins...this huge animation package would be solid gold. For TW3, not so much.

I'm not sure why reactions to this type of thing result in such bitterness. Building a game is a creative process -- not everything conceived of or intended makes it into the finished piece. A major part of the process is killing your darlings in order to ensure a cohesive whole. Cutting room floor and so forth.

For combat animations in particular, animations have to work with the combat mechanics. Now, if I click attack, and any one of 500+ different combat animations may randomly play...I imagine that would be quite hard to follow. While it might "look cool", it would also make it virtually impossible predict what the result of any attack was going to be. It would be very difficult develop a feel for the real-time pacing of combat, as there would be no familiar pattern to the animations. It would likely create a poor sense of control over Geralt's actions and would probably be more distracting than effective in practice.

Now, for a turn-based game or a system like Dragon Age: Origins...this huge animation package would be solid gold. For TW3, not so much.

It's always been crucial for me since TW1. Geralt needs to feel right. He's effective, kinda flashy, but crazy deadly. TW3 is the first game that lost the feel. It's worse if you read the books and discover what a ruthless angel of death he can be. Consider the Arkham games. If those animations weren't spot on, the combat system would be a wreck. So much hinges on those animations, the timing, the flow and sound design. It was an apt inspiration for CDPR, but they lost it in TW3, where Geralt's combat style lacks impact.

It's always been crucial for me since TW1. Geralt needs to feel right. He's effective, kinda flashy, but crazy deadly. TW3 is the first game that lost the feel. It's worse if you read the books and discover what a ruthless angel of death he can be. Consider the Arkham games. If those animations weren't spot on, the combat system would be a wreck. So much hinges on those animations, the timing, the flow and sound design. It was an apt inspiration for CDPR, but they lost it in TW3, where Geralt's combat style lacks impact.

I personally found the combat in TW3 to be the most enjoyable of the 3 games. TW1, I loved! But I really felt the combat was needlessly picky -- couldn't really seem to decide whether it wanted to be turn-based, real-time w/ pause, or fully real-time. Liked it...fun...but clunky. TW2: I give its combat system credit for existing. Moving on. I really enjoy the deliberate positioning and timing necessary in TW3. That feels the most realistic of all three systems to me. The moves are exaggerated, but the "waaaiiit...and...strike!" pacing is very close to real sword-work.

Witcher 2 combat (enhanced edition) was near perfect. All they needed to do was add more animations and incorporate the pirouette dodge, more contextual parrys and ripostes, more flash in the signs, and other superficial stuff. The groundwork was perfect. You would aim at an opponent, click attack, and trust that Geralt would close the gap appropriately and strike.

But they removed that system for a more dark souls like system, which is fine, but then they made Geralt so sluggish and unresponsive you'd end up having the spam the roll button just to get to you opponent fast enough to strike!

Don't even get me started on the twirling light attacks. In Witcher 2, Geralt would twirl only when jumping towards an enemy and so it would look good and feel good. But in Witcher 3, he twirls even when he is right next to the opponent as opposed to a slash or thrust. And the riposte animations are not as good as in Witcher 2 where he would deflect the blade away from him, cause the enemy to fly off balance as a result, pirouette and cut!!

@essenthy While this may be correct, the question was about "They said there would be 96 animations for combat, where are they?". He is simply showing that just by looking at the files, there are more than 500 combat animations just for swords. I'd agree if the post was about "The animations should be improved" and not about "They lied to us about the number of animations in the game.". Because the second point is simply not true. The animations (many times more of the mentioned number, actually) are there. Their quality... we can discuss :)

And I'm certain, I don't want CDPR to show ANY footage of CP2077 until there are like 2-3 months to the game's release. Everyone will be happy that way, I assume. No more chance to look at the old footage and want the game to look like that... So that we can finally judge the game for what it is, not for what it was supposed to be.

well, taken out of its technical context stating that ther's 96 animations for combat alone might sound a bit over estimating, but how exactly are they counted ? what does qualify as " combat animation " and what does not ? are transition animation also counted or just pure fighting/attack animations ? do you count animation that happen while in combat state but just walking around and geralt reacting differently ?

see you can get any numbers you want this way, it all depend how exactly you count them, from what ive seen myself if the game files, there are way more than 96 animations, be it combat or not,ther's a shitload of animations

peoples doubt this kind of statement because geralt animations arnt that great compared to what either peoples imagined them to begin with or how they were in the early E3 builds, and all the PR dreams that CDPR sold us pre downgrade, and i could go on ..

tldr : yes there are many more than 96 animations, and the number does not matter in the end, only the results, W3 itself being the best example, despit all the controversy and some very discutable graphics the game solds more than 10m

Last edited:
what does qualify as " combat animation " and what does not ?

While I can't answer for the devs, I would put money on 96 being the number of animations that were unique for a specific "attack pattern".

So, as an example:

1.) Downward, angled slash left-->right.
2.) Downward, angled slash right-->left.
3.) Uppercut, angled Slash left-->right.
27.) Pirouette, overhead cut into back-hand slash right-->left.
28.) Pirouette into heavy downward chop.
29.) Pirouette into triple downward chop.
78.) Twirling parry into upward chop-->dismember arm.
79.) Twirling parry into horizontal cut-->evisceration.
Etc.

Again, while having all of these animations would add a ton of variety, 3 things:

1.) Was it something that added to or detracted from the control experience of combat?
2.) How different were some of the animations from others? Were they even really noticeable? Alternatively, were they overly distracting?
3.) How well did it work technically? Did it introduce so many bugs / issues that the engine just couldn't handled it reliably?

Those combat animations in TW2 were ridiculous. They took all of the control out of his movements, and made me feel like I was watching a bad cut-scene. I'm glad they nixed 'em. In some ways, the more subtle variety in TW3 is superior.

@Eredin_Breacc_Glas ridiculous you say? but with those animations and movements geralt was able to attack or escape enemies from every direction, in tw3 it is slow to see to the sides, there is the new dodge movement, but one must be very very fast to do ir perfectly.
in tw2 no fight was imposible, just run, roll and eventually you'll eat the enemy, in tw3 there are impossible fights

anyway there as an update that introduced the new movements in control settings, this adds new animations, way better in my opinion

For me the amount of animations were never the issue. The amount of CONTROL you have of them on the other hand..... Dark Souls has around 20 animations for every weapon, but you have 100% control on which you will use at all times which is amazing. On TW3 you have control over 5 animations.
1) Fast Attack
2) Strong Attack
3) Block/parry(which happens with the same button and you can't control which to have. THere have been times were i would prefer blocking rathen than parrying because another bandit was charging at me)
4) Whirl
5) Rend

That's it. I do not care if there are 30 variations on the fast attack if i cannot choose myself which to use at all times. I mean there is an amazing fast thrust attack that i would find very usefull on a number of occassions but it is just RNG.

For me THIS is the biggest issue with this otherwise wonderfull game. This and the sluggish movement/poor/unresponsive control of Geralt.

but it is just RNG

..... actually its based on distance, angle towards enemy (slope up or down) and previous action..

if you keep doing the same attack in the same direction you move through the combo for that attack type... if you do any other action in the middle of a combo, it will reset the combo...

combos are 10 different attacks for strong and 7 for fast.
added to those are all the different sides (front left right back) AND slope up slope down... and some special animations for when you are a few meters away from the enemy.

Top Bottom