"The Witcher 3 Has 96 Animations Just For Geralt's Combat"

+
For me the amount of animations were never the issue. The amount of CONTROL you have of them on the other hand..... Dark Souls has around 20 animations for every weapon, but you have 100% control on which you will use at all times which is amazing. On TW3 you have control over 5 animations.
1) Fast Attack
2) Strong Attack
3) Block/parry(which happens with the same button and you can't control which to have. THere have been times were i would prefer blocking rathen than parrying because another bandit was charging at me)
4) Whirl
5) Rend

That's it. I do not care if there are 30 variations on the fast attack if i cannot choose myself which to use at all times. I mean there is an amazing fast thrust attack that i would find very usefull on a number of occassions but it is just RNG.

For me THIS is the biggest issue with this otherwise wonderfull game. This and the sluggish movement/poor/unresponsive control of Geralt.

I guess you cant have it all :) I think you can look for openings on enemies. If you only smash the fast attack button, it comes dull pretty fast.
But yeah, it would be nice if you had more control on you´re attacks. I really hate when geralt does the jump spiruette thing when you least expect it, its so slow attack. I guess it depends on the distance..

By the way. Who else thinks countering monster attacks is hard as nails!? I never get the timing right, sometimes it feels like you need to raise youre block earlier than against humans, then at other times it feels ike you really need to do it mil second before the monster attack lands. I never learned to do it consistently. I can probably get it right like 1 every 10 tries. Like drowners or the explodin dudes.. Its pretty shit attack, but you dont need to dodge so much, if you could counter consistently. Humans are easier.

Last edited:
The devs also said the installation size will be 50gb, but turned out it's only around 24.6 gb without any dlc and expansions.

I think The Witcher 3 was originally 50gb but with all DLC and expansions, then for marketing & business purpose and to liven up the game for longer it was separated into expansions and DLC. The delays were probably for breaking down the already made game into dlcs and expansions.

It's an ambitious game, but still in the end it's also a business

Smurfin;n8452690 said:
The devs also said the installation size will be 50gb, but turned out it's only around 24.6 gb without any dlc and expansions.

I think it was 30-something GB on PC at first with all the extras and without the expansions, but it may depend on the platform, perhaps the consoles use less compression because of the weak CPUs?

I think The Witcher 3 was originally 50gb but with all DLC and expansions, then for marketing & business purpose and to liven up the game for longer it was separated into expansions and DLC. The delays were probably for breaking down the already made game into dlcs and expansions.

It's an ambitious game, but still in the end it's also a business

As far as I know, the expansions were really developed after the release of the main game, even though their preproduction probably already started some time before. The free DLCs are only a small percentage of the content, like 1-2%, so those might include things cut from the original release, but no one can tell for sure. In any case, it was probably possible to roughly estimate what the total size will be even before the expansions were finished.

By the way, counting the total number of animations in the game is not as obvious as it may seem. Technically, the same animation to the left or right may be separate, a single move may be broken up into multiple segments of animation (so it can "flow" into another or be aborted half way), or have slightly different variations that are picked randomly, and so on. I recall someone counting hundreds of combat animations in the game files, but the number is inflated because of the reasons just mentioned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom