The Witcher 3 HUD and UI

+
No ... when youre on horse you dont look in the left upper corner... that stuff is distracting and makes you run into walls...I think its well placed..though kinda unneccesary addon...
Wait...when you run you look at the right upper corner but when you're on horseback you don't? Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense to me. Running and riding is basically the same "process" for the gamer, you just use different tools for moving (your own feet or a horse).

If people don't look at the upper right corner Geralt's own stamina bar is misplaced there as well. Same is true for his health bar and everything else in this corner.

Wait...when you run you look at the right upper corner but when you're on horseback you don't? Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense to me. Running and riding is basically the same "process" for the gamer, you just use different tools for moving (your own feet or a horse).

If people don't look at the upper right corner Geralt's own stamina bar is misplaced there as well. Same is true for his health bar and everything else in this corner.

Except when Geralt runs out of stamina he doesn't stop sprinting, you can sprint infinitely. So you don't actually look at the top left of the screen when running on foot.

No ... when youre on horse you dont look in the left upper corner... that stuff is distracting and makes you run into walls...I think its well placed..though kinda unneccesary addon...

Horse stamina isn't exactly something you need to be constantly looking at. A quick glance is all you need. Actually after a period of time you will become familiar with how long you can spur the horse on and you will rarely even need to look at the stamina bar.

Except when Geralt runs out of stamina he doesn't stop sprinting, you can sprint infinitely. So you don't actually look at the top left of the screen when running on foot.
That makes even less sense. So Geralt's stamina drops but although he has no stamina left he still sprints. That sounds like a bug to me if that's true.

Actually there should be no different at all between running and riding fastly, mechanically. In both cases stamina should drop constantly and when the stamina is depleted the speed should go down to normal walking and riding until your stamina recovers. Everything else makes little sense to me.

Horse stamina isn't exactly something you need to be constantly looking at. A quick glance is all you need. Actually after a period of time you will become familiar with how long you can spur the horse on and you will rarely even need to look at the stamina bar.
Indeed. It's actually the same thing with the minimap. You take a glance there from time to time but you don't look at it constantly (at least not usually). And yeah, you'll probably get a feeling for it very soon.

You do know that Geralt's "stamina" bar is used when he casts a sign or blocks/parries right? At least that's how it has been in the previous games. It's not a sprinting thing. Just wanted to clarify that :)

Edit: Disregard the post, I stand corrected. His stamina definitely drops when he sprints to the water in the Ekhidna fight.

Last edited:
Regarding the HUD, you will be able to change the size of the icons/fonts as well as hide certain/all elements. Hope this answers some of the questions:)
Yes, this is Amazing! I kinda knew about this months ago, about turning hud elements off to the point of clean screen.
I didn't say nothing either, because a RedBird told me it could change before release. What a relief now that you confirmed it for us, but I had no idea we could change hud icon sizes too! Awesome...
I'm very happy you guys did this, thanks so much ;)

Regarding the HUD, you will be able to change the size of the icons/fonts as well as hide certain/all elements. Hope this answers some of the questions:)

Thank HEAVEN. This was my biggest worry after seeing the press demo. There is a growing contingent of gamers who (myself included) who simply don't play games that are nothing but an endless stream of menus, pop-ups, and minimaps. Let the environment guide the player; that's quality world-building. This insane amount of Far Cry 3 style shot-gun blast of pop-ups to the face is the worst thing to happen in game design since console sales became profitable.

But CDPR once again exceeds my expectations and makes the right move. Love you guys.

Level display is definitely big NO for me. Instead of judging enemys by looks(RAAWR I AM A BIG SCARY BEAR) , bestiary and actual fight you look at this boring numbers. Worst part it creates disquisting grindy MMO vibe. Absolutely HATED it in DA:I

totally agree with you...

Hopefully, the HUD has opacity options and not just turning elements off and on. That's what is truly customizable: opacity + turning off/on + size + maybe movement (for some games). The current HUD, which looks very similar to Witcher 2's HUD, is not plasma-friendly at all and will definitely cause image retention with those static non-transparent bright icons. I had to use a mod in Witcher 2 to solve this. Turning elements off is not an ideal solution, as you still need that information, but not all the time. If Witcher 3 had opacity options out-of-the-box, that would be fantastic.

AM PM clock in user interface

Just noticed watching last gameplay there is a am/pm clock in upper right corner, Is there any way to disable it? I know it is a small detail but this DIGITAL clock is so NOT fantasy/Witcher related, I understand having it in games like GTA but here it is way out of context....

Just noticed watching last gameplay there is a am/pm clock in upper right corner, Is there any way to disable it? I know it is a small detail but this DIGITAL clock is so NOT fantasy/Witcher related, I understand having it in games like GTA but here it is way out of context....
I didn't like it at first, but now after playing TW2, I think it's a cool idea to have this in TW3. Sometimes it's nice to know what time it is, it might come in handy.
All of the new Hud looks really slick compared to TW2's Hud/graphics, and we can even turn it off if we want.
It's perfect this time ;)

Last edited:
i am talking about design and clock being digital, also 1 min is like 1 sec its quite unrealistic, It is ok to have a clock but in some different form meybe

---------- Updated at 06:21 PM ----------

i am talking about design and clock being digital, also 1 min is like 1 sec its quite unrealistic, It is ok to have a clock but in some different form meybe
CDPR please hear me out!

The digital clock is peculiar (and each minute is approximately 4 seconds), but, as I'm not sure Geralt actually carries a crude, mechanical pocket-watch, the feature looks like just one of those anachronisms purely for the player's benefit.

I wrote this in another thread, but it is concerning the HUD and I think it belongs here.

I wonder if the mentioned HUD scaling includes scaling them down to a significant degree, and not just scaling them up. Things like quick-access items, minimap, quest-objectives, time-of-day, NPC titles don't need to be showing on the screen at all times, or even at all.

I also think that the thickness of the health bar in Witcher 3 is too much, overpowering.

Witcher 3 presentation, like Witcher 2, is as though the player is addressing the game from behind a screen, and that there is a layer of data between them and the reality of the world. I don't like that, and I even loathe that. It is a much richer and more meaningful experience for the connection to be from the player, directly into the game world, so that they can feel as though they are in there, playing as the main character. I can't get that feeling where there are so many layers of floating data on the screen - it really prevents there from being a direct sense of real experience.

A solution to disable everything on the screen with one setting would not be good either, because some data-feedback is needed to survive and perform in the world. That feedback includes the stat bars - which don't need to be as prominent as they are right now. That needed feedback does not include the other resources like inventory quick-access items, minimap, quest objectives, or persistent floating NPC / animal titles.

- The quick-access items are remembered by the player who selected them to be quick-accessible.

- The map is known by the player checking the larger one and knowing which direction they need to go from where they are, including landmarks for where to change direction.

- Quest objectives are pointless to show on the screen - the player knows why they're doing what they're doing, and can look in the journal if ever they've suddenly realized they're moving aimlessly.

- Persistent floating NPC titles are really tacky on the screen, and really spoiling of the natural-looking scenery. Having them fade in as a player points their mouse over them when they're somewhat close by is plenty enough.

- The daytime is generalized to meaningful precision simply by experiencing with sight the light and direction of the sun, or the lack of sun. The time of the day is not needed to be known, and the presence of time indicator can present an artificial sense while walking in nature.

It would be very nice if even the health and stamina stat bars faded away whenever not in combat. They don't serve a purpose in being present when doing other things.

I wonder if 3D Projekt Red can give clarification on what exactly is the state of UI customizability, and whether we can disable elements individually - and if the persistent floating NPC titles can be disabled, as well, while keeping NPC names viewable when pointing the mouse at them.

Will we be able to remove the Mini Map?!

Will it be possible to remove the Mini Map in the Witcher 3?

I just want to discover things on my own by watching the environment.

Will it be possible to remove the Mini Map in the Witcher 3?

I just want to discover things on my own by watching the environment.

Yes you can customize the mini map, health bar and so on, so you can completely play the game without anything to disturb your immersion.

Edit: Beaten to the bunch by @sidspyker

And what can be scaled exactly? Only text/fonts? Or every single element? How does the whole thing look like when scaled down?

The latest trailer shows scaled down elements. The health bar and horse stamina bar are smaller. Although none of it is as clean as modded TW1 or TW2 UI.

Top Bottom