The Witcher 3 - Kepler GPU

+
There is a lot of tesselation with hairworks and in the water and terrain (though may be bugged as it has limited visual impact), and by NVIDIA's own claims the efficiency of Maxwell is around 3x that of Kepler in this type of processing.
Sometimes raw power (which the 780 has) is needed to match more efficient processes (which for this usage it is claimed) that the 9xx series cards have.

There is a lot of tesselation with hairworks and in the water and terrain (though may be bugged as it has limited visual impact), and by NVIDIA's own claims the efficiency of Maxwell is around 3x that of Kepler in this type of processing.
Sometimes raw power (which the 780 has) is needed to match more efficient processes (which for this usage it is claimed) that the 9xx series cards have.
why create such functions if the flagship video card for $ 700 which was released a little over a year ago not work properly with this application?
nvidia should optimize the maximum Kepler architecture
drawdown of up to 30 fps on gtx 780 ti, it is unacceptable!
please show me where tests tesselation with hairworks gtx 970 gtx 780 ti exceeds is around 3x

Last edited:
Also, how a 280-290 is outpeforming a 780 ti ? Ive got a 680, ive been able to run most games at solid 60 fps. in witcher 3, doesnt matter what settings i use i cant get 60 fps not even everything on low which is really a shame.

So it means everything below 9xx is basically dead, no more support and is not worth to buy a top end titan or something like that if its going to get gimped within a year of its release.

780ti and you'd think I purchased a bargain chip. Can run GTA:V on extremely nice settings yet this game buckles and doesn't look as good @ similar settings. Really silly that the game's graphical fidelity was nerfed for consoles yet said nerf (which the PC version got too) didn't seem to help with fps unless you happen to own the latest and greatest nvidia products.

I've seen this mentioned so many times.
I've yet to see any clear distinction between tessellation performance of Maxwell compared to Kepler. I've seen benchmarks for Unigine Heaven on extreme tessellation for example and it didn't appear to demonstrate this.

Kepler is also supposedly faster at tessellation than the Radeon 200 cards.

Another noteworthy point is that a lot of these benchmarks are with Hairworks off and the water in the game doesn't seem to have a noticable impact on performance at all. It can also be tested at minimal levels of tessellation and the performance advantages of Maxwell will still be noticably farther ahead than Kepler in W3.

Some other benchmarkers also brought up other games like Project Cars and GTA5 in this same subject of Kepler vs Maxwell performance as of late.
It could be that the drivers a while ago weren't utilising the Maxwell cards as well as they could, but I doubt it.

I've seen this mentioned so many times.
I've yet to see any clear distinction between tessellation performance of Maxwell compared to Kepler. I've seen benchmarks for Unigine Heaven on extreme tessellation for example and it didn't appear to demonstrate this.

Kepler is also supposedly faster at tessellation than the Radeon 200 cards.

Another noteworthy point is that a lot of these benchmarks are with Hairworks off and the water in the game doesn't seem to have a noticable impact on performance at all. It can also be tested at minimal levels of tessellation and the performance advantages of Maxwell will still be noticably farther ahead than Kepler in W3.

Some other benchmarkers also brought up other games like Project Cars and GTA5 in this same subject of Kepler vs Maxwell performance as of late.
It could be that the drivers a while ago weren't utilising the Maxwell cards as well as they could, but I doubt it.

I think it's somewhere in the Nvidia driver,people claimed to have better performance when they rolled back to the 347.XX versions of drivers with Kepler cards.With GTA 5 i'm better off with the specific driver regardless of Kepler or Maxwell.So i don't know,the difference between them with the Witcher is obviously there.At least a 15fps difference.on my end.

Witcher 3 and Project cars are Nvdia Maxell GPU ready only ...Its states this on the game ....Seriously joke aside ....Its seems like if this carries on we will have games that will only work on either amd or nvidia card generation or worse still exclusive just to one card ...Scary thoughts ...to me it seems Nvidia biting the hand that feeds them are destroying the pc gaming community shame

So let me get this right. All you 700 series GPU people are complaining because the 900 series GPU's are getting better results? As someone in another post quoted, which had to do with consequences of choices and if you missed something then you can't go back and get it, (Gwent card from innkeeper in White Orchard) deal with it. Same thing goes for this too. How can you expect older technology such as the Kepler to do better then the new technology Maxwell? That's like comparing oranges to apples. And the 780Ti is not their flagship anymore, its the 980. The 780Ti is overpriced.

what are you talking about?
gtx 780ti is a powerful chip with a huge potential productivity which sold for $ 700 and it is 100% should be more powerful than the gtx 970 and be equal in performance to the gtx 980
why in all the games 780ti faster 970 and Witcher 3 situation changes dramatically?
nvidia also has recognized its mistake and informed that the problems found in the drivers chart Kepler and their employees to work in the removal of the explicit injustice and update drivers

official statement on the Nvidia forum
ManuelG said:
We discovered a couple of issues in regards to Kepler GPUs and are working on driver updates.

response nvidia from technical support
Hello Cub,

Please accept my apologies for the confusion.

We are aware of this issue and NVIDIA engineering team is currently working on it. I will also have this case escalated to our Level 2 Technical Support group for further attention.

Best Regards,
-Farzana
NVIDIA Customer Care

Last edited:
780ti User here. While my performance is decent im chrashing all the time. I can't play the game for more than 5 minutes before it chrashes EVERYTIME.

I do not to understand how you can write such nonsense
what you want from a video card that sold for $ 700 a little over a year ago and positioned as a powerful single-GPU graphics card with great performance headroom
let's go buy a video card every year 999$ and 699$ to comfortably play a full HD ?

So let me get this right. All you 700 series GPU people are complaining because the 900 series GPU's are getting better results? As someone in another post quoted, which had to do with consequences of choices and if you missed something then you can't go back and get it, (Gwent card from innkeeper in White Orchard) deal with it. Same thing goes for this too. How can you expect older technology such as the Kepler to do better then the new technology Maxwell? That's like comparing oranges to apples. And the 780Ti is not their flagship anymore, its the 980. The 780Ti is overpriced.

That would be a solid point,were it not that a 970 was outperforming a 770 by 15FPS at least with the same settings,and lower 900 series cards were outperforming higher Kepler cards.There's no way that was a genuine increase
in performance.I can expect a minor advantage in some scenario's.

Just because it sold for $700 does not mean its better, but regardless of that to answer to your question why it does not do so well in The Witcher 3 is because the game is optimized to work with Maxwell GPU's and probably the same with AMD's newer GPU. Older games were released prior to the Maxwell therefore they work better (but not much better) with the Kepler GPU's. I paid half the cost of a 780Ti for my 970 and it runs cooler because it requires less power and with older games atleast I get pretty much the same performance. With the issues that Nvidia have mentioned they did not go into detail of exactly what problems they found and if it will even affect performance with The Witcher 3 or by how much if it does. When software is released it is going to be optimized more for the newer technology as it gives them access to things that may not have been around previously, and better performance. Not trying to argue who's right and wrong, just pointing out the obvious.

Cool. Let us know WHY the Maxwell cards are outperforming the Keplers (and moreover, recently). With specifics, not vagueness.
Until you do, you've got nothing at all of value to your argument in regards to you implication that Maxwell being new should simply automatically mean it's better.

gtx 970 under any circumstances should not be faster gtx 780ti
except overclocked capacity and lower power consumption there is nothing
its technical specifications equal gtx 770

Just because it sold for $700 does not mean its better, but regardless of that to answer to your question why it does not do so well in The Witcher 3 is because the game is optimized to work with Maxwell GPU's and probably the same with AMD's newer GPU. Older games were released prior to the Maxwell therefore they work better (but not much better) with the Kepler GPU's. I paid half the cost of a 780Ti for my 970 and it runs cooler because it requires less power and with older games atleast I get pretty much the same performance. With the issues that Nvidia have mentioned they did not go into detail of exactly what problems they found and if it will even affect performance with The Witcher 3 or by how much if it does. When software is released it is going to be optimized more for the newer technology as it gives them access to things that may not have been around previously, and better performance. Not trying to argue who's right and wrong, just pointing out the obvious.

However the issue being is it is solidly a far better performing card (out of box, stock, non upgraded). The 780 scores higher than a 970 in most any scenario still except possibly higher resolution scaling as Maxwell is suppose to improve on 4k scaling. However the 780 is still a stronger chip with more ROP/CUDA cores available.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-970-vs-GeForce-GTX-780

I bought a "EVGA GTX 780 Ti Classified KINGPIN Edition" for £650 in June last year from Overclockers UK and I am shocked to find that a BUDGET STOCK GTX 970 which costs a mere £250 is crushing it in the Witcher 3 by a good 10 FPS and that is with HAIRWORKS OFF and Distant Foliage at HIGH!!!

Barely a year later and its losing to an entry level card... "New architecture is more efficient" is not even close to being a valid reason here, it looks more like an intentional move to make more money!

Some serious optimisations need to be done for Kepler cards else its time to switch over to AMD with their 395x impending. It is totally unacceptable that a budget entry level card is outperforming a high end card JUST ONE GENERATION APART! This is insane!

This means that THEY WILL ABANDON MAXWELL when its time for the new gen next year, I can see it coming, MAXWELL owners BEWARE, you might be laughing now but you will be the ones crying next year!

I have been loyal to Nvidia last 3 generations but this obviously deliberate move to push more Maxwell cards by crippling performance on Kepler cards is despicable. I am glad that major gaming websites are reporting this issue right now, we need to be heard!

Top Bottom