The Witcher 3 Modding

+
That's right, but providing any facility that allows or encourages modders to monetize is going to contribute to a huge fight over copyright infringement, one that modders who do so should lose at ruinous personal expense. Basically, no charging for mods unless you own the intellectual property you're modding.

there are definitely problems, I was just saying that the end of modding isn't one of them :p

I know there was a mod that was already removed because it used another mod's files, so they were basically profiting from someone else's work without permission. it's bound to happen a few times, but I'd think it's common sense not to sell something you didn't make or have obviously no right to sell. if someone made a game of thrones mod for skyrim and tried to sell it that would not be very smart of them. but that's the same for any kind of business, there is nothing new here.

That's right, but providing any facility that allows or encourages modders to monetize is going to contribute to a huge fight over copyright infringement, one that modders who do so should lose at ruinous personal expense. Basically, no charging for mods unless you own the intellectual property you're modding.

It's more than that...what would happen in the case of The Witcher 3?
It's still DRM free, but if all modders would go in selling their mods on Steam...than only Steam players will be able to mod the game.

It's more than that...what would happen in the case of The Witcher 3?
It's still DRM free, but if all modders would go in selling their mods on Steam...than only Steam players will be able to mod the game.

that requires two things.
1) CDPR to allow modding the game through steam workshop
2) CDPR to allow selling mods on said workshop
Valve won't enable it without their say-so. I personally don't think cd projekt will opt in for either, for the reasons you stated.

So I just watched a few modders close their Nexus accounts and pull everything in fear of people stealing their mods and selling them on the workshop. Good job Valve.

Only bad things can come from this 'paid modding' attitude. I'm a modder, myself, and I wouldn't consider charging for my work. Donations are one thing, charges are something entirely different. This is setting a bad example, imo.

Mods should be labours of love, and that should be incentive enough for doing them. Not monetary gains, like every other bs already in existance.

So, now Valve and Bethesda want to earn some money from mods? They can go and fuck themselves...

Last edited:
Only bad things can come from this 'paid modding' attitude. I'm a modder, myself, and I wouldn't consider charging for my work. Donations are one thing, charges are something entirely different. This is setting a bad example, imo.

Mods should be labours of love, and that should be incentive enough for doing them. Not monetary gains, like every other bs already in existance.

I am there with you. I don't release but maybe 1% of the mods I make (much less if I count the ones I make for my kids :) ) but definitely, I will never charge for them. I do understand donations, and I think the first time I saw a donations link for any mod was the Lost Spires mod for Oblivion back in 2008 or 2009., and it was a damn good mod; but even donations, I don't feel comfortable with them, and surely I will never ask for one. I make mods for myself, and if I think they will enhance other people's game experience, then I release them with that intent, not to make money.

The witcher 3 mod kit status ?

The mod kit for THE WITCHER 2 took two years after release to become available. All I've read so far from THE WITCHER 3 CEO interviews is that "it will be available much faster" than was the case for THE WITCHER 2. ?

Is there any more definitive answer than "much faster" on when modders will have the tool ?

Given the controversy over mods being sold by one company...it would seem to offer a tremendous opportunity for CD PROJEKT RED to provide this tool sooner.........much sooner.........rather than later..(my understanding is that CD PROJEKT RED does not support the idea of gamers being charged for mods to their games.. Is that correct ?

The mod kit for THE WITCHER 2 took two years after release to become available. All I've read so far from THE WITCHER 3 CEO interviews is that "it will be available much faster" than was the case for THE WITCHER 2. ?

Is there any more definitive answer than "much faster" on when modders will have the tool ?

Given the controversy over mods being sold by one company...it would seem to offer a tremendous opportunity for CD PROJEKT RED to provide this tool sooner.........much sooner.........rather than later..(my understanding is that CD PROJEKT RED does not support the idea of gamers being charged for mods to their games.. Is that correct ?

Nothing more definite, I'm afraid. And their licence on TW2 doesn't allow mods to be sold. Somehow, I don't expect that to change.

Haven't read the whole thread. Has CDPR commented on the Bethesda/Valve mess and their stance on paid modding?

I have to say, I'm very curious if they will or not. As DB has mentioned, you can't legally sell their mods. Maybe that's sufficient, or maybe they have to reiterate and take a public stance on this.

I have to say, I'm very curious if they will or not. As DB has mentioned, you can't legally sell their mods. Maybe that's sufficient, or maybe they have to reiterate and take a public stance on this.

I don't think they will directly comment on this. Most developers and publishers are very careful not to comment on the business practices of their colleagues/competitors. The most I can imagine is an off-hand comment, something like "we will concentrate on free modding" or something equally careful.

It would be kinda funny if CDPR jumped on this train while they provide small DLC for free which in a way we can compare to class A modifications/additions.
I think it's safe to say CDPR won't join in on this deal with Valve, but i have been wrong before, lol
I would still like W3 to have Workshop support though, unless an alternative easy way of adding mods is given.

Nexus is easy way of adding mods...

I know, i have been using nexus for ages with plenty of different games.
But I'm talking about the tool that you use to install said mods. Now i recall Skyrim having one as did Fallout but i can't recall if that tool was universal for all games on the site or not.

from monday onwards we will get a lot of interviews the youtubers did when they went to poland a week or so ago. Gopher was one of them who's really into modding, so if there was any information they were willing to give at this point I'm sure he got them. though he already said that they didn't say much, so don't get your hopes up too much.

Top Bottom