The Witcher 3 Modding

+
@Thorinx
Because this isn't a Bethesda game or any other kind of RPG where you have a blank slate character. There is a definite protagonist, his name is Geralt, and he is a Witcher. If you have not come to terms with that foundational fact of the book series and the game series, that is probably why you have not come to terms with the hostility toward your demands. Yes, this is sacred creative ground.

His name is not Geraldine.

Last edited:
We don't need Skyrim-copying or pandering to as many audiences as possible, just earn a dime and destroy the franchise in the long run.

How is this pandering? I don't get it. Pandering to the "Customizable Character RPG Lobby?"

I would like CDPR to have that kind of success, and I think they may do.... but I'd rather it was for the quality of their world, and story telling, than that there is a "vibrant modding community" and diluted or virtually no gameplay.

How does customizing your character diluting gameplay? Or making it "Virtually no gameplay?"

Whatever the number is, its not nothing.
But it also isn't enough to be worth the expenditure at this point in development. Cost aside Like others have said it'd detract from other things they could rather put time/resources into for a small amount of people that would buy it with female playing ability. Are you seriously not going to buy TW3 because you can't play as a female in base game?

And I want them to have a MASSIVE ACTIVE SWITCHED ON MOTIVATED Modding community.
If the kit is as good as or better than Skyrim this will happen with or without them supplying the female VA...

I'm not against modding, as a former modder and mod player, I am the opposite. I just don't see any reasoning behind your suggestions. Are you just trolling or actually believe what you are saying?

---------- Updated at 12:22 AM ----------

that is probably why you have not come to terms with the hostility toward your demands.
Not trying to come off as hostile myself. My Apologies Thorinx if you see my opinions as such.

Witcher games are based on Witcher books.
Geralt is a heterosexual male whose looks are described vividly in the books.
The Witcher games are not "create your own character" and do whatever you want kind of game.
The Witcher is not Skyrim, and thank God for that.

Then there's the case of alienating all these "purists" as you call them. I for one call them the true fans, the people that understand that Geralt is a pre-defined character, with a very specific overall look, voice, etc. You shouldn't take the piss out of the very people you built your company upon, at least that's how I see it.

I've read 3 of the books and played both games. Well half of the first game. Couldn't stand the combat mechanics. I believe I have as much right to "Fandom" as anyone else does. And I'm not saying any of this to take the piss. When I read the books, I did not see Geralt the way CDPR presents him in their game. I like their take on him, but it is not sacred in my opinion.

When I say Purist, I'm not talking about how much you like the franchise and books. I'm talking about Immersion Purists. Which is a great way to play a game. Ive done many Skyrim and Fallout play throughs where I don't fast travel and arrange all my mods to be totally immersive, survival, water filtration, cloaks, cold weather all that sort of thing. And some times I'll do a Skyrim play through that is a "Conan" Frank Frezetta inspired play through. And put everyone in silly skimpy princess outfits. I played Mass Effect as Boy Shepard and as Girl Shepard, and I got something exciting and different out of both types of play through. Anyway, purist isn't an ugly word, I do Purist Immersive playthroughs in all my RPGs. And I do other types as well, and believe it puts the Role in Role Playing Game.

SMH All the people who think modding/patching something huge is as simple as just typing in a few lines of code.

"Can you patch in X characters and missions?"

"Can you patch the option to make the protag a different gender?

It doesn't matter what "your take on Geralt" is. He is a predefined character..his choices are neither "good" nor "evil".

Dude, accept that they aren;t gonna waste their time and money to add the option to ruin the game..the game is about GERALT OF RIVIA, not "the dragon born" or "The hero". You should have understood and dropped this whole thing ever since you were told "If you wanna do it or get some modded to do it, go ahead, but it isn't CDPR's responsibility".

Frankly..if your "take" on Geralt is a female who has to adhere to the survival rules of normal mortal humans, then you are in the WRONG fandom lol

Last edited:
survival, water filtration
Yeah You can't pay me enough to install survival/micro management mods...
Let me clarify: I think the idea is sound and heck I might play it if someone does make it, just not about how you want it to come from the game designers instead of modding community. I think you worry too much about if it isn't included it'll kill the modding community or that TW3 will get less sales because of it. IMO neither of those are realistic expectations.

I've read 3 of the books and played both games. Well half of the first game. Couldn't stand the combat mechanics. I believe I have as much right to "Fandom" as anyone else does. And I'm not saying any of this to take the piss. When I read the books, I did not see Geralt the way CDPR presents him in their game. I like their take on him, but it is not sacred in my opinion.

When I say Purist, I'm not talking about how much you like the franchise and books. I'm talking about Immersion Purists. Which is a great way to play a game. Ive done many Skyrim and Fallout play throughs where I don't fast travel and arrange all my mods to be totally immersive, survival, water filtration, cloaks, cold weather all that sort of thing. And some times I'll do a Skyrim play through that is a "Conan" Frank Frezetta inspired play through. And put everyone in silly skimpy princess outfits. I played Mass Effect as Boy Shepard and as Girl Shepard, and I got something exciting and different out of both types of play through. Anyway, purist isn't an ugly word, I do Purist Immersive playthroughs in all my RPGs. And I do other types as well, and believe it puts the Role in Role Playing Game.

If you imagined Geralt as a female with blonde hair, then the translation must have been very off or something.

There's varying levels of imagining certain features on a character, then there's completely disregarding what a character should look like. CDPR understand this and furthermore, respect it.

Geralt has a very specific set of features/traits that cannot be changed (white hair, him being male, him being straight, etc.), these are hard facts established in the lore and CDPR did not stray away from these very basic building blocks of this character.

But we're straying severely off-topic, if you want to continue, open up a new thread or PM me.

Last edited:
But it also isn't enough to be worth the expenditure at this point in development. Cost aside Like others have said it'd detract from other things they could rather put time/resources into for a small amount of people that would buy it with female playing ability. Are you seriously not going to buy TW3 because you can't play as a female in base game?

I am absolutely not talking about them releasing the game with any of this stuff. No, I think the Vanilla game should get the shit played out of it for the next 6 months. I thinking about when they release the RedKit 6 months from now. My hope is that the RedKit comes with VO and animations as part of the modding tool kit.

But I will take issue with the assumption that only a small number of people want this. I believe that you don't necessarily want it, but lets not forget its a big wide world out there.

I'm not against modding, as a former modder and mod player, I am the opposite. I just don't see any reasoning behind your suggestions. Are you just trolling or actually believe what you are saying?

No, I am not trolling.

Not trying to come off as hostile myself. My Apologies Thorinx if you see my opinions as such.

I do not assume you're trying to be hostile at all. It's too easy to misunderstand each other typing on the internet, without assuming everyone is your enemy. I assume I'm not making myself clear, and that I actually don't understand what people mean when we disagree. Especially, when you consider we both care enough about this game to debate it. And I'm sure we're both clinching our buttcheeks in anticipation of May 19.

Though I assume I'm clenching mine more than you are...

My hope is that the RedKit comes with VO and animations as part of the modding tool kit.

And you're welcome to hope for anything you like, but I hope that you don't get too disappointed when it doesn't happen.
And if you decide to go ahead and make the mod you want, you may want to consider not voicing it. You'll probably find it much easier to make that way.

I thinking about when they release the RedKit 6 months from now.
You mean like a paid DLC? That is a bit different, but still problematic. They'd definately have to see how many people that haven't bought the game yet because of no female VA (yeah right) or I guess more like how many people would pay for that DLC. Though again, them doing it isn't that realistic in a sense they'd be destroying their well planned story...
I believe that you don't necessarily want it, but lets not forget its a big wide world out there.
Yes but 100K out of 10M players is small ;) Think big picture wise... Wasn't saying only a handful but speaking relatively There is also a difference between who'd want/download a mod and who wouldn't buy the game or become a modder because it isn't there.
No, I am not trolling.
Just wasn't sure... Too many poster out there that will simply say stuff to get attention...
I do not assume you're trying to be hostile at all.
A mod felt the tension from some posters so just wanted to say I wasn't trying to offend you, just stating the way I see things :D
Though I assume I'm clenching mine more than you are
Probably... I am soooo busy with work and all... Lucky I can get on forum :) Though work has calmed down the last few days and I work at a PC so...

But we're straying severely off-topic, if you want to continue, open up a new thread or PM me.

I'm not sure what to say, I started this as a thread, with a long introduction to who I am and why I was writing, and it got jammed into this thread. I wasn't trying to derail another conversation.

I'm not sure what to say, I started this as a thread, with a long introduction to who I am and why I was writing, and it got jammed into this thread. I wasn't trying to derail another conversation.

I meant the topic of what Geralt should or should not be.

Modding Geralt's gender or race, and if CDPR should facilitate materials for this endeavour, is a different matter entirely. And is fair play. :)

There will be two mods that I'll look for once the game releases (hoping for some quick mod releases)
- Zero Weight mod
- Weapon durability Fix mod

Top Bottom