The Witcher 3 Modding

+
The Witcher 3 Modding

Hey everyone,

I am very much looking forward to purchasing pre-ordering the Witcher 3 Wild Hunt. But I need to ask Will there be day one mod support for the Witcher 3?

Further more I read somewhere a while back that CD Projekt plans to license out the Red Kit. Is this still in the cards?

Thank you for your time,

HeadClot

I think they already said they will be working on W3 relase first then thinking about REDKit etc.

edit: websites like Nexus always supported WItcher. So expect mods to come out very quickly.

Skyrim have many mods because it lacks polish in many aspect. Don't get me wrong i really love Skyrim(Modded) but for some reason i'm doubting that W3 will have that many mods as Skyrim.

Nope, there won't be Day 1 mod support but the redkit for TW3 will come out faster than it did for Witcher 2.

Also you mean license REDEngine 3, Redkit is just the mod tools.

I really don't expect that we'll see full Red Kit/Mod support on Day 1 for PC, but they did mention that it was planned to come out eventually and faster than it did for TW2. So long as it comes before 2016 I think it'll be fine, people will still be into the game (mostly cause we'll probably still be seeing patches and addons) so we'll get a nice amount of mods :D

If they would be able to release Red kit, in same amount of time as Bethesda did CK for skyrim, it would be perfect. People would be given time to play the game it self and to see what can be done, to improve or to make the game more to suit their views.

Last edited:

IsengrimR

Nope, there won't be Day 1 mod support but the redkit for TW3 will come out faster than it did for Witcher 2.

That's... troubling.
There are not many mods for Witcher 1 ( apart from "additional stories" ) and Witcher 2, the problem I explain by the RedKit being available much later than the release of the game. The modding scene just dies out, I assume, moves on to other games.

It would be a shame for Witcher 3 to meet similar fate, though the open world creates a very much wider array of possibilities. Still, I feel it would be best for the Red Kit to release not later than a month after release. Five weeks tops.

I would seriously like to see a lot of mods out there. If Skyrim holds it merits for +600 hours because of mods, imagine how much more Witcher 3 can accomplish.

Last edited:

Hey, Yeah I meant the RedEngine 3. I recall some article a while back talking about CD Projekt talking about the Red Engine and Licensing.

EDIT:

That's... troubling.
There are not many mods for Witcher 1 ( apart from "additional stories" ) and Witcher 2, the problem I explain by the RedKit being available much later than the release of the game. The modding scene just dies out, I assume, moves on to other games.

It would be a shame for Witcher 3 to meet similar fate, though the open world creates a very much wider array of possibilities. Still, I feel it would be best for the Red Kit to release not later than a month after release. Five weeks tops.

I would seriously like to see a lot of mods out there. If Skyrim holds it merits for +600 hours because of mods, imagine how much more Witcher 3 can accomplish.

I would have to agree! a month to a 5 week tops for the Mod tools. I Want lots of mods for the Witcher 3. Heck maybe even some total conversions?

Last edited:
Releasing mod tools does not equate to more mods though, let's not forget TES has a gigantic community and plenty of modders that are well versed in Gamebryo and/or Papyrus scripting. I can't say about how the TES mod tools are but I was really impressed by REDkit and how much access it offered.

Releasing mod tools does not equate to more mods though, let's not forget TES has a gigantic community and plenty of modders that are well versed in Gamebryo and/or Papyrus scripting. I can't say about how the TES mod tools are but I was really impressed by REDkit and how much access it offered.

Agreed with all points provided. However releasing mod tools earlier does mean that you pull people in to using the engine and making awesome content earlier. :)

Also I found the article about CD Project wanting to licensing out their red engine :)
http://www.shacknews.com/article/78331/cd-projekt-wants-to-launch-2-smaller-titles-mobile-game

Agreed with all points provided. However releasing mod tools earlier does mean that you pull people in to using the engine and making awesome content earlier. :)

Also I found the article about CD Project wanting to licensing out their red engine :)
http://www.shacknews.com/article/78331/cd-projekt-wants-to-launch-2-smaller-titles-mobile-game
Yeah I was just addressing the point of comparison with TES modding community/number of mods.

And yes, they announced their plan to license REDEngine 3, years ago :p

Last edited:
Yeah I was just addressing the point of comparison with TES modding community/number of mods.

And yes, they announced their plan to license REDEngine 3, years ago :p

I really hope that CD Projekt opens up to indies such as myself. Not just big developers.

I personally want to make a game with the Red Engine 3 :)

I hope there would be not muchdifference between Redkit for TW2 and TW3. The community is small and it is harder and takes more time to get into it than other mod tools. I hadn't much time last year so during summer I've planned to got into RedKIT. Would be a shame if the workflow of the new RedKIT then differs much.

Modding for WItcher 3

I remember when they first announced that witcher 3 is going to be completely openworld -- a flood of thoughts and possibilities just went though my mind. Moddling has certainly been the strength of pc games and I can certainly see the collective creativity of the talented modding communities as soon as TW3 along with Redkit launch in next year. However I feel like while the E3 extravaganza was fun, the modding/story aspect of things has been overshadowed by a focus on combat, graphics, etc.

So here are just some humble questions for the devs to think about and for all fellow fans to discuss:

1. What do we know for now on mods and modding for witcher 3 in general? What are some of your expectations on modding?
2. I remember reading a post earlier taking about randomly generated quests. At first, just like everyone else my immediate reaction was that it will destroy the hand craft nature that is fundemental to CDPR's productions. However after some thoughts I think that this "endless replayability" could be implement through the hands of moddlers (making it completely optional therefore not interfering with story play through), with the right tool from the devs. I am no moddling expert so I cannot go into any details. Thoughts?
3. I am not sure if CDPR ever mention this: what is the plan to introduce extra contents, DLCs, and maybe even expansions to maps/new locations? I know I am probably just fantasizing here since it would be too much work, but I certainly wish to see if not official, a fan-made rendering of vizima or kaer morhen being implement and connect to the overall map of the game.

Finally I just want to say that I am all for the one hundred hours of thought-provoking, emotionally entangled, and morally contemplative story telling from the brilliant team -- this is what they do best and what makes this saga SOOO. DAMN. GOOD. I guess what I am really trying to do here is just being greedy -- squishing more out of something that is potentially already bigger than any games we ever had -- but one cannot dream enough, am i right?

IsengrimR

So. No, we have no idea about mods.

Dunno about RGQ.

If there will be extra content it will be either free, or if it's a huge chunk of content that takes a lot to develop ( aka expansion ) they will put a pricetag on that.

is the withcer 3 firendly in modification?

Hello,
I have a question regarding to the modification of the withcer 3.
does the game support modification?
to what extent, is the modification friendly?
will there be an official modification tools like redkit for the withcer 2?

The SDK will be released to the public after an unspecified timeline upon release. They need to make the tools user-friendly beforehand.

CDPR are all for modding, and the capabilities will be pretty extensive. Full support as far as I'm aware. There is some 'cool' post-release content in that regard from what I've heard.

thank you for the information.
does full support means that the users have access to the complete red engine and can extract/decrypt game data freely?

Top Bottom