The Witcher 3 Modding

+
I'll be looking for the mod that makes <insert name of armour here> look like Raven's. I want my inventory to contain screens and screens of Raven Armour, just with different stats.

If you had not demanded that CDPR create these assets for you, it probably would have been treated as a mod that the community simply did not want. But to demand that others divert effort from working on things the community wants to make assets that would not be used in the game but only used for your proposed mod, well, the best you can say is that it comes across as presumptuous.

This sentence is childish and transparently not in the spirit or letter of what I have written. Firstly. I have demanded nothing from anyone. I certainly have not demanded that anyone "Create Assets For Me." As I made clear again and again. I am raising questions. Talking about what I would like. And proposing that this might be in the best interest of CDPR to consider.

You claim to know what the community wants, but I've been reading these forums on and off for the past two years, and I've never posted before today. So how do you know what the "Community" wants. There are about to be a few million owners of the Wild Hunt. Do you assume you know what all, most or the majority of them want from an RPG? Considering your comments, perhaps the community does not post about a great many things here, since Moderators are actively hostile towards new posters?

Are you privy to all of CDPR marketing initiatives? Target audiences? Core Demographics? Does CDPR hope to target RPG Players? Do they hope to facilitate an active and engaged Modding Community? Do they want to appeal to a wide array of PC Gamers in general and RPG gamers specifically? Does CDPR hope to appeal to female gamers? Does CDPR hope to appeal to Black Gamers? Does CDPR have the same Immutable, unchangeable, sacred opinions about Geralt's avatar that you do?

I suspect that they do not.

But to be clear, I have asked no one to Divert Efforts. Nor waste money on assets no one wants. It is you that assumes everyone wants to play the game, and sees the Witcher IP, in exactly the same way you do.

Being ganged up on by moderators is a surprisingly uncomfortable feeling. Usually I'm pretty thick skinned but I'm pissed off. This thread should be called When Moderators Attack, or please post in the "Unwelcome Ideas Thread".

I thought moderator's job was to facilitate conversation. Not harass people.

Last edited:
"It is in the best interest of CDPR to serve my opinion, which absolutely no one else shares."

We don't like your "opinion" and you have made it clear that you would like for CDPR to use their assets to create a ridiculous special thing. We know what you are all about now, so don't try to alleviate it.

Yes, genius, it is INCREDIBLY immature for a mod to once again explain to you why it is selfish of you to ask for something like this. For the last time..the Witcher is a PREDEFINED UNIVERSE. There is no room for "I see the IP different from you".

Last edited:
Nobody has harassed you. Harassment that is actionable on these forums consists of personal attacks, using words like fanboy or liar. When you express an opinion that you know will be unpopular, you should not expect those who disagree with you strongly to keep silence. You should expect to defend your opinion against all comers, and you should expect the moderators to intervene when responses stray from attacks on your opinion to attacks on your person.

Moderators have strong opinions about the game and about what others have to say about it. We do not muzzle ourselves in order to accommodate the expression of ideas we strongly disagree with.

As to whether you demanded that CDPR create assets for your use, you wrote " I hope CDPR considers creating female VO for Gerald. And I hope they provide the animations for a female Gerald. And that is the point I'm making in my larger post. I think it is essential to a thriving modding community like Skyrim has. If they don't create these things, I think they might be losing millions of sales, because they are not catering to the wider needs of the modding community."

In other words, you propose that CDPR create these assets for a use no one except you has requested, and you believe that it would debilitate the "modding community" if they fail to do so. That sounds like a demand backed up by a threat to me.

As to whether you speak in any way for this community, you have been a member for less than a month.

Last edited:
This is a big big response. I appreciate you taking the time you took to dig into my writing. I'm tempted to go line by line and debate with you, but for the sake of the thread I'll resist.
Is that you don't want to, or you can't in a coherent manner?

In a lot of instances, I never claimed what you claimed I claimed. I never said 7 million downloads = 7 million individual gamers. Nor 7 million in sales lost. Nor anything like it. Its a number that speaks for itself.
You kept on throwing the 7 million number in multiple posts, which was misleading, because, as I proved, it is NOT a number that speaks for itself.

This single modder created a virtual industry that allowed dozens of modders to work and be inspired with ideas. Which lead to thousands of individual mods being created. I'm trying to show the knock on effect.
No. What you are doing, is you continue to exaggerate in an attempt to give your argument validity.

Take out playable females, you potentially lose dozens or even hundreds of modders, thousands of modds and an entire section of the community. The question is can Witcher's community afford to lose them?
Well, so far, CDPR and the Witcher series have done extremely well, all things considered, without playable females. And again with the exaggerated numbers?

You clearly don't like or don't care about that part of the community, which is fine.
I am a modder myself. I have made mods for Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Thief, Dragon Age 1 and 2, Witcher 1 and 2... at one point I even used exnem's female body for Oblivion (probably you don't know who exnem is, look it up ) both for gameplay and modding - not because I wanted to see my toon naked, but because the original model was horrible. I have absolutely no issue with anyone who wants to mod his/her game in any way, shape, or form. It is a single player game. Get your modding tools and go crazy.

But a thriving community, doing all kinds of innovative work all feeds back into the game, then feeds back into the modding community. You run a big risk by summarily dismissing huge sections of the Modding community. You can lose lots of Modders them and the players who want those mods. Which knocks and knocks and knocks at CDPR's bottom line.

Who's dismissing anyone? And how? Because CDPR won't offer a female VO for Geralt's dialogue? In the words of Chad Johnson, "child, please".
Again, if a female VO is a concern to you, once the RedKit is out, go nuts!!! Again, check out Nehrim to see what good modders can do with VO (although I do better hung bodies than them, ha!) BTW, you do understand ... well, no you don't ,obviously... you don't understand that the dialogue of the other characters with respect to Geralt is not generic or gender neutral... so if they were to do VO's for a female witcher, they would have to do it as well for a slew of other characters. Not to mention male brothels. Otherwise you'd only play a lesbian witcher.."A witcher is in town!!! Hide your men!!!!!" LOL

How many sales will it equal? I truely don't know, and doubt you do either. (but who knows, you may be a Wharton/Harvard MBA.) I asked, does it equal Thousands of boxes? Tens of thousands of boxes? Hundreds of thousands? Millions? Whatever the number is, its not nothing.
You are desperately trying to draw a parallel between a game which one of its main selling points is modding, and a game which is sold on story, intrigue, political plots, adult situations (and that doesn't mean just nudity and sex, btw) and gameplay. Maybe there would be a few (there is always a few of everything), but I doubt a significant number of people would make a purchase decision based on whether they can play as a female character.

---------- Updated at 02:46 AM ----------

There will be two mods that I'll look for once the game releases (hoping for some quick mod releases)
- Zero Weight mod
- Weapon durability Fix mod

When you say weapon durabilty, is that faster degradation, or no degradation at all? I'd have to look, but I think I remember both the mods you suggest were just a flags in one of the xml files in W2, so the Redkit wouldn't be necessary if W3 follows the same structure as W2.

The one mod I am thinking about, and I have to see the "innards" of the game first to see if I want to tackle this, is removing progression, and just make it that Geralt is full bad ass from the start, but all enemies are bad ass from the start as well. From an RPG perspective, it makes sense that Geralt should level up. But from a lore perspective,Geralt is already the baddest bad ass there is.

On side note, I replied to 2 different posts,a nd they were merged. Anyone can tell me how to prevent this?

Last edited:
When you say weapon durabilty, is that faster degradation, or no degradation at all? I'd have to look, but I think I remember both the mods you suggest were just a flags in one of the xml files in W2, so the Redkit wouldn't be necessary if W3 follows the same structure as W2.

I mean no degradation at all. And it would be great if it were something simple, so the mod release would be quick. ^^

I hope this game will have the attention it deserves by modders. Mods are a great when you play a game for the fith time :)

Moderators have strong opinions about the game and about what others have to say about it. We do not muzzle ourselves in order to accommodate the expression of ideas we strongly disagree with.

As to whether you demanded that CDPR create assets for your use, you wrote " I hope CDPR considers creating female VO for Gerald. And I hope they provide the animations for a female Gerald. And that is the point I'm making in my larger post. I think it is essential to a thriving modding community like Skyrim has. If they don't create these things, I think they might be losing millions of sales, because they are not catering to the wider needs of the modding community."

In other words, you propose that CDPR create these assets for a use no one except you has requested, and you believe that it would debilitate the "modding community" if they fail to do so. That sounds like a demand backed up by a threat to me.

Well, I've reread my posts and I'm loath to admit that there is a Typo right in the middle of your quote from me. "I think they might be losing millions of sales." I meant to type, millions *IN sales. Not of Sales. But if you where confused by that, I also wrote the following.

With all of that said, I believe that MODs with be the thing that changes this game from Very Successful to Truly Astronomical sales potential. I’m confident that if Red Engine is released in a reasonable amount of time and certain things are possible, this game is going to have Skyrim or even GTA level sales over the long haul. There is nothing I’d like more than for Witcher 3 to rake in half a Billion dollars, which brings me to the meat of this post.

I say all this because I believe a thriving modding community is what will make this game a colossal hit that will be played years, rather than a simply wonderful game that people stop playing once they've finished it. And from every CDPR interview I've seen, you are not an “Oh, we can’t do that. That’s impossible.” Kind of company.

Skyrim didn’t sell 20 million copies its opening week. It just kept selling and selling and selling as the DLCs where released, and the Modding community came alive and people realized the game would provide years of gaming pleasure

In order to make the most of Witcher 3 (sales) they need to get the dedicated Skyrim / RPG modding community on board. To do that I believe for CDPR needs to provide the raw assets for playable female characters. Allow companions. And allow player homes and player home functionality. With those 3 things they are guaranteed to get the entire RPG modding community on board. If they do not, they may not. And may pay a price over the long haul. That is of course their choice to make. Considering the cost/benifit of doing it is their job. And they obviously will make their own decisions about that. But, I'm confident that if they do not do this, there will be a knock on effect that equals LOST unit sales. Is it thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Millions of unit sales? I dont know. But it's not nothing.

How many sales will it equal? I truely don't know, and doubt you do either. (but who knows, you may be a Wharton/Harvard MBA.) I asked, does it equal Thousands of boxes? Tens of thousands of boxes? Hundreds of thousands? Millions? Whatever the number is, its not nothing.

Back to your statment...

If you had not demanded that CDPR create these assets for you, it probably would have been treated as a mod that the community simply did not want. But to demand that others divert effort from working on things the community wants to make assets that would not be used in the game but only used for your proposed mod, well, the best you can say is that it comes across as presumptuous.

There is no reasonable person who can believe that I am demanding things from CDPR. I have not demanded they make assets for me. I'm pointing out that RPG gamers and the modding community want these things. I have not asked that anyone divert anything. I have not proposed for any specific mod to be made. I only expressed my HOPE that when the RedKit is released it comes with the resources to fully customize the main character. And I have explained why I believe its important for CDPR to do so in order to make make RPG fans happy.

You have made it clear, that anything beyond different hairstyles is absolutely outrageous and unwelcome idea. The problem is that you pretend to represent CDPR and the Community of Gamers that are lining up to buy the Wild Hunt. On both of these scores respectively, you don't and you don't.

---------- Updated at 03:31 AM ----------

Is that you don't want to, or you can't in a coherent manner?

No. Its that I agree with almost everything you are saying. You're talking about this true thing over here. I'm talking about this true thing over there. Treating it like a debate would waste both of our time.

Perhaps we disagree with how many modders, how many mods, and how much that might or might not effect people's desire to own the game. I'm making my assumptions based on what I know. You're making your own based on what you know. We'll see what happens. I want Witcher to succeed. So, if you're right, and modders don't need any of these resources. And it will not effect the casual modding community, people who want to make companions and customize their character, or make player homes, then that is great. Maybe Witcher does not need those gamers to buy the game, nor modders to mod the game that way. Maybe CDPR will be Skyrim Successful without them. Or maybe modders will create all those tools themselves without the knock on effect happening. If so, that is great. I don't believe that, but I hope you are right. And if this Forum is any indication of how CDPR views the question, we are probably going to find out the hard way.

I have the following mod requests (read demands):
- Drivable Car
- Drivable Tanks
- Flyable helicopters
- Guns as weapons

This has to be created by CDPR themselves, because I'm really lazy to do it all myself, and I'd rather not waste my time and effort. But CDPR can spend their money and resources doing this just for me and the bajillion potential modders that this mod will (or will not) bring. CDPR will lose on millions in sales if they don't do this and I have evidence for this as I can jump between space-time and have already seen the possible scenarios. This is a clearly not a warning to CDPR, but it is.

So, make sure you do all this work, CDPR. It will be completely against the books, the lore, the setting, but I don't really care about that. I just want to play Witcher: The Skyrim remake!!! And this mod might upset the purists esp because it will be released by CDPR, but I don't care for those people. I just want what I want.

Thanks for reading! <3 CDPR!

Last edited:
Imagine Geralt using a minigun ?

Weapon mod= Excalibur (1 hit ko)
Crossbow mod= missile launcher unlimmited
Armour mod= ghost armour(enemies cannot kill a ghost)

Last edited:
How is this pandering? I don't get it. Pandering to the "Customizable Character RPG Lobby?"

How is it not? Geralt is a set character and you don't change a set character. You just don't. Unless of course you want to make a mod that changes the character's gender or whatever else and distribute it on your own right. So just put it in your head.

And answering your question you made to @Lieste - I don't he meant that customized character dilutes the gameplay, at least I don't read it like that.

But.
A customizable blank-slate character can absolutely mean a diluted character and in effect, a diluted story. Prime examples? Skyrim and Bioware games.
I am aware, that this type of character is meant for roleplaying and freedom, but no amount of roleplaying will beat the set character written by a professional writer. Because, you as a player are not a writer (most likely).

I would take a good set protagonist over a customized protagonist any day.

Last edited:
How is it not? Geralt is a set character and you don't change a set character. You just don't. Unless of course you want to make a mod that changes the character's gender or whatever else and distribute it on your own right. So just put it in your head.

And answering your question you made to @Lieste - I don't he meant that customized character dilutes the gameplay, at least I don't read it like that.

But.
A customizable blank-slate character can absolutely mean a diluted character and in effect, a diluted story. Prime examples? Skyrim and Bioware games.
I am aware, that this type of character is meant for roleplaying and freedom, but no amount of roleplaying will beat the set character written by a professional writer. Because, you as a player are not a writer (most likely).

I would take a good set protagonist over a customized protagonist any day.

I agree.

And to expand upon the issue of misallocating resources, it's worth remembering what Todd Howard, game director and executive producer at Bethesda Game Studios, had to say on the matter. Discussing Fallout 3, he revealed additional lines had to be recorded to account for the fact that the first thing a significant portion of gamers would have their PC do once he got hold of a gun was to - in an irrepressible surge of belated Oedipus complex - try to kill his father.

Just imagine the exponential increase in the number of NPC lines of dialogue a couple of variants to canonical Geralt would entail, let alone a blank slate character. The solution around this problem usually consists of writing dialogue so generic, so deprived of context and nuance that in the end what's left has been hollowed out of any real identity but fits any kind of playable character anyway.

While the desire to play as a different sort of protagonist is entirely legitimate, the burden of making it happen ultimately rests with the desirous, not the REDs. They shouldn't be expected to go above and beyond the amenity of providing tools, when doing so would in very practical terms detract from their core vision.

Last edited:
There will be two mods that I'll look for once the game releases (hoping for some quick mod releases)
- Zero Weight mod
- Weapon durability Fix mod

Hmm, I can see those being popular. Although for a moment there I was a bit shocked since I thought zero weight meant anti-gravity :S

I obviously need a coffee.

Top Bottom