The Witcher 3 Modding

+
Perhaps we disagree with how many modders, how many mods, and how much that might or might not effect people's desire to own the game. I'm making my assumptions based on what I know. You're making your own based on what you know. We'll see what happens. I want Witcher to succeed. So, if you're right, and modders don't need any of these resources. And it will not effect the casual modding community, people who want to make companions and customize their character, or make player homes, then that is great. Maybe Witcher does not need those gamers to buy the game, nor modders to mod the game that way. Maybe CDPR will be Skyrim Successful without them. Or maybe modders will create all those tools themselves without the knock on effect happening. If so, that is great. I don't believe that, but I hope you are right. And if this Forum is any indication of how CDPR views the question, we are probably going to find out the hard way.

... and here is another thing you don't realize about modding, and mods such as Caliente's body mod: Bethesda did not release a single tool that allowed Caliente to make and implement his mod. To make his mod, Caliente needed the following tools, none of them released by Bethesda:
1. A file decompressor.
2. A file extractor|exporter
3. A 3D modeling application.
4. An image editor with DDS and normal map capabilities
5. A file packager|importer
None of those were released by Bethesda.
To implement his mod, Caliente needed nothing more than drop the files in an overrride directory, a common practice in games. W1 and W2 have override directories, Dragon Age has overrride directories, etc etc etc.

So, if modders want to mod W3, they will, without any tool from CDPR.

True. But he is also way over estimating the impact adding Female VO would impact sales. In reality it will have little affect. He saying he fears the game won't be as popular or hurt the modding community without CDPR provided assets. He simply doesn't understand how a modding community works or sales for that matter. The amount of extra sales it would generate would not be in the millions $$$. For CDPR to do it properly would however, the female Geralt VO itself easily over 1/4 M, then all the other things needing to be changed to accomodate it. Sure I guess they could just do only VO part but then it wouldn't be done well or properly...

Were you around and modding in TW2 when it first came out? I'm wondering how long it was between game launch and someone coming up with the decompressor and packager? (I'm assuming that's all we'll need to start on the simpler mods).

Were you around and modding in TW2 when it first came out? I'm wondering how long it was between game launch and someone coming up with the decompressor and packager? (I'm assuming that's all we'll need to start on the simpler mods).
I think it was Rick's tools (gibbed) and it was end of May 2011, so basically within the same month, 10 days apart. Oddly enough I can't find them on Rick's own svn but it's there on Nexus.

I think it was Rick's tools (gibbed) and it was end of May 2011, so basically within the same month, 10 days apart. Oddly enough I can't find them on Rick's own svn but it's there on Nexus.

Yup, it was gibbed, and I also remember that by the time I was using them they they were only at The Nexus (can't remember why). So it only took a couple of weeks?
Thanks.

@Dragonbird Since TW3 is an open world I'm sure it will get more attention than previous witcher games also... I'm out of the modder scene now as I don't really have enough time to play itself let alone mod now adays... I also thought TW1+2 modding tools only allowed "New" adventures not modding the story itself. Is that correct? I was thinking that was part of the reason why TW1+2 never got a large modder community for them as well as not being open world...

@Dragonbird Since TW3 is an open world I'm sure it will get more attention than previous witcher games also... I'm out of the modder scene now as I don't really have enough time to play itself let alone mod now adays... I also thought TW1+2 modding tools only allowed "New" adventures not modding the story itself. Is that correct? I was thinking that was part of the reason why TW1+2 never got a large modder community for them as well as not being open world...

Depends what you mean by "modding the story". There's plenty of mods for TW1 and TW2 that change stuff, but I think you're right in that they don't/can't change the story itself.

@Dragonbird I meant like adding your own NPC to Flotsam or any other story town. I recall TW1 toolkit only allowing "New" adventures not editing the main adventure in that respect. Didn't look at TW2's tools at all, by that time I was way over my head IRL do to wife's health issues...

To get a decent Modding community going it's essential to have the dev kit out as soon after release as possible
If they wait until most PC users have finished the game, it may be to late and Fallout 4 could be the next big modded Open World RPG.

Repeating the problem Witcher 2 had, with Skyrim being the goto RPG Game for Mods.
Always it's the annoying problems that recieve the attention first, the easy to fix things modders start with.

Releasing within a month or two of the game, is essential to get the interest of modders whilst playing. Even better if it comes with the game from the start.

Whitcher 3 Modding could be bigger than Skyrim, if done right, get it wrong and it will be a minor backwater with few mods, just like Witcher 2.

I hope they get it right, I want Witcher Mods from day 1.

First things you will mod out?

I think for me the first things I want to get modded out are the markers on the map for all the points of interest, as I kind of ruins the point of exploration in an open world and turns into a game of whack a mole for the points of interest.

Second, I think I would mod out all the gathering locations that appear on the mini map when you get near them. Again, if you are going out gathering ingredients you should be expected to pay attention.

Thoughts?

I think for me the first things I want to get modded out are the markers on the map for all the points of interest, as I kind of ruins the point of exploration in an open world and turns into a game of whack a mole for the points of interest.

Second, I think I would mod out all the gathering locations that appear on the mini map when you get near them. Again, if you are going out gathering ingredients you should be expected to pay attention.

Thoughts?

If I'm not mistaken, you'll be able to take out all points of interest by the games menu.

Now for what I would like to mod....I think trying to create some drinking animations and modify the alchemy system.

You won't need a mod for the markers. You can deactivate them ingame.
Currently there is nothing I would mod out. Shows how little to complain I have so far^^
What I would like to mod in: animations for potion and alkohol drinking, eating and oil usage

Thoughts?

Sounds fair enough but if I was going to use it, I'd want/need two things to replace it.

1. The plants themselves would have to be very distinctive. I don't mean covered in an eerie glow or anything, but I certainly wouldn't want 3 types of plant, 2 banal and 1 with ingredients, which are virtually identical but for one small difference which you can only see from 2 feet away.

2. A rough idea via the world map, an alchemy book or journal notes about what kinds of plant grow in which regions. I wouldn't want to spend ages looking through bushes and grassland for a certain ingredient only to discover I was wasting my time because there's none of that type for miles around.

I don't know if this is possible in the game or not, or how well it works, but I'd like to:
- Cast Signs via shortcut buttons on the controller (R2+X = Aard, R2+O = Igni, etc).

No idea how hard it is to do such a customizable input settings mod, but I really hope someone does this :)

Mods to modify settings on the UI (rather than e.g. UI style) are probably pointless. It has already been confirmed that most elements can be rescaled or disabled natively.

@Dragonbird I meant like adding your own NPC to Flotsam or any other story town. I recall TW1 toolkit only allowing "New" adventures not editing the main adventure in that respect. Didn't look at TW2's tools at all, by that time I was way over my head IRL do to wife's health issues...

I think you're correct for both games. I hope that changes for TW3.

Top Bottom