The Witcher 3 Modding

+
I ll mod nothing on my first run and until all the expansion are out (and I ll hope there will be plenty to bring us in Kaedwen and Brokilon and Dol Blathana etc...). But after that... Well it will depend of the game itself and modders creativity :)

To get a decent Modding community going it's essential to have the dev kit out as soon after release as possible
If they wait until most PC users have finished the game, it may be to late and Fallout 4 could be the next big modded Open World RPG.

Repeating the problem Witcher 2 had, with Skyrim being the goto RPG Game for Mods.
Always it's the annoying problems that recieve the attention first, the easy to fix things modders start with.

Releasing within a month or two of the game, is essential to get the interest of modders whilst playing. Even better if it comes with the game from the start.

Whitcher 3 Modding could be bigger than Skyrim, if done right, get it wrong and it will be a minor backwater with few mods, just like Witcher 2.

I hope they get it right, I want Witcher Mods from day 1.

As a previous poster, you are trying to draw a parallel between a game which one of its main selling points is modding, and a game which not only is sold on story, intrigue, political plots, moral choices, etc. but out of the box comes out with a much higher art/model quality. Witcher 2 didn't have "a problem". If anything, Skyrim had a problem with its subpar art, stories, models, textures, etc... that needed to be fixed.

And again, it is not necessary to have the SDK to begin modding. If you take any of the Elder Scrolls games as example, there are thousands of mods that never use the Construction/G.E.C.K./Creation Kit.

Modding games has been around for much longer than Skyrim.

I think you're correct for both games. I hope that changes for TW3.
I hope so, would be nice for a RED to confirm :D I kind of naturally assume since TW3 is open world that the mod kit would allow it this time around. If not it won't stop a decent modding community from thriving but it might prevent it from being as great as it could by limiting what most modders can do and how easily inexperienced modders can do so also thus less "generic" mods...
If you take any of the Elder Scrolls games as example, there are thousands of mods that never use the Construction/G.E.C.K./Creation Kit.
Yes we can get a decent modding community without tools but tools certainly do help it grow and the diversity of mods, and of course some mods can't simply be made without tools, well not without a lot of extra effort so would limit how many of those type of mods we see. Some players might be turned off by that lack of diversity. But then everyone getting the game and looking for mods will realize it will not have the tool out until X time if they are paying any bit of attention to the game they are playing so shouldn't hurt the community IMO ;) Whether it comes out in 2 month or 6 months from may 19th.

I hope someone will put Raven armor and Aerondight is some chest in Kaer Morhen...If RedKit allows it, that is...

But then the basic DMG of Aerondight should "level" with Geralt so that it wont get useless after
the first hours

Well at least i hope they already build this mechanism in, for epic swords, so they will be usefull
till the end and you as player decide which one you use.

The best way to kill an RPG.

Wrong, TW1 did this and it was epic and good not to have to worry, where to get the next new and better
iron. Also i talked about unicque epic swords ... like Aerondight, Moonblade and so on... not ALL swords.

Geralt sklillz made the DPS in TW1 ... the swords just gave bonuses to the skillz.

So, this is about females? Well, I don't think these ladies needs to be modded...;)

I think for me the first things I want to get modded out are the markers on the map for all the points of interest, as I kind of ruins the point of exploration in an open world and turns into a game of whack a mole for the points of interest.

Second, I think I would mod out all the gathering locations that appear on the mini map when you get near them. Again, if you are going out gathering ingredients you should be expected to pay attention.

Thoughts?

@Ljesnjanin I don't agree :p Ciri must have gray/ashen hair for me, as it was in the books, not white, it's absolutely essential :p And I will retexture her eyebrows from black to gray I think :D And if there will be enough time and eagerness maybe Triss haircolour will be changed either(but that's on the end of the list, who cares about Triss? :p).

So Ciri's hair and eyebrows(and hair on her portrait shown in the last trailer) will be my very first mod. The second one will be retexture of Geralt's eyebrows :p From black to gray, maybe to white, depends on how they will look in-game.

Last edited:
@Ljesnjanin I don't agree :p Ciri must have gray/ashen hair for me, as it was in the books, not white, it's absolutely essential :p And I will retexture her eyebrows from black to gray I think :D And if there will be enough time and eagerness maybe Triss haircolour will be changed either(but that's on the end of the list, who cares about Triss? :p).

So Ciri's hair and eyebrows(and hair on her portrait shown in the last trailer) will be my very first mod. The second one will be retexture of Geralt's eyebrows :p From black to gray, maybe to white, depends on how they will look in-game.
I agree about hair color, for both Ciri and Triss...Just give me some grey and chestnut :D

But those are just retextures, I don't think we will need RedKit for that...
And my post was a respond to Thorinx, and he wants major character redesignes - hairstyles, make up, new faces, body models - like in some Skyrim mods...

And I am just saying that W3 doesn't need it...CDPR did a good job with faces, imho...

Hello, I would like to introduce my new modding website for the Witcher 3

Dear Witcher 3 fans,

I have been hard at work for the past few months developing a website called thewitcher3mods.com I was inspired to develop a modding website for The Witcher 3 after my first modding website justcause2mods.com reached 276,000 members. This experience has given me a feel for how modding communities should be managed, and with the upcoming release of Just Cause 3 I began work on a better, more powerful website for it.

As a huge fan of open world games like skyrim, i was happy to hear that The witcher 3 was going open world. This led me to create a small network of modding sites. The Witcher 3 is one of the eight games I am currently supporting.

I hope you will allow my site to help you host your mods and provide a good environment for users and modders to get more out of The Witcher 3 and REDkit by helping you find mods more easily. Users will be able to rate and create support tickets for each mod. Uploaders can upload any file up to 20mb or use an external URL. Every mod will have screenshots that will help users find the mods they're looking for more easily. Each user has their own dashboard where they can manage all of their mods quickly.

I am always looking for feedback and suggestions, and therefore the sites are constantly improving. I have a ton of features that I'd like to add in the future that will make the sites far more functional, with more filters for sorting mods to find the perfect mod. I will over time customise the mod database to align with the The Witcher 3 world and its community needs by adding new relevant categories and features. This is only the beginning!

Please visit
thewitcher3mods.com

Thanks for reading,
Zenin

P.S. - A bit of personal background: I am 27 working as a full time front end Web Developer in London, with a specialty in user interface design. As a hobby I enjoy building gaming sites, usually based around modding, and like to play open world RPG's.

Last edited:
I like the website's layout and design approach in general, however I feel that you're wasting the landing page. That's probably personal preference, but I like homepages to actually convey meaningful information on the main page, e.g. news, most endorsed mods or something similar.

Apart from that I hope it'll be worth your time. I'm still skeptical because the modding tools took so long to release for TW2, basically leaving the modding community pretty barren due to the lack of actual players. Let's hope modding will take off a lot faster for TW3. :)

Yes we can get a decent modding community without tools but tools certainly do help it grow and the diversity of mods, and of course some mods can't simply be made without tools, well not without a lot of extra effort so would limit how many of those type of mods we see. Some players might be turned off by that lack of diversity. But then everyone getting the game and looking for mods will realize it will not have the tool out until X time if they are paying any bit of attention to the game they are playing so shouldn't hurt the community IMO ;) Whether it comes out in 2 month or 6 months from may 19th.

You quoted me when I was referring to the game developer's game builder, then you mention "tools". They are not the same.
Modders create tools as well: decompressors, packagers, etc come from the modding community. For example, the people who compile NifSkope or make plugins for Blender to be able to process .nifs are as much a part of the modding community as someone who pops a texture in GIMP and changes the color of a coat.

On a side note, if anyone is going to be turned off Witcher by the lack of diversity in mods or modding tools, I think they are doing it wrong.

game developer's game builder
Sorry for confusion that is what I meant by tools... Yeah I know modders can make tools also I just didn't feel like typing "Red kit building tools" 20 times :p

---------- Updated at 03:02 PM ----------

On a side note, if anyone is going to be turned off Witcher by the lack of diversity in mods or modding tools, I think they are doing it wrong.
Some people will though, look at nexus and say oh only x mods most not be that great of a community... Having red kit will have a lot more quantity show as well as more categories...

yeah the homepage is soon going to have most popular mods (in the last 7 days) - this will display the mods as they are on the mods page but in a row at the very top. This still needs further work and will be added in May, but i had to launch the site without this feature ready.

For logged out users it currently displays a large promo Image which is what you're seeing. Once logged in there is more to see.

I am going to start by adding some of the witcher 2 mods on there as its own category.

I believe REDKit is going to be released sooner rather than later for the Witcher 3 so thats good!

Yeah, I like very much the site layout.

Since there are DLCs, two expansions and more support for the game, I think REDKit will be much better this time in terms of timing.

Can't wait.

Mod Request:
Option 1 - Turn off Weapon Downscaling. Leave weapons at their original stats at all times.

Option 2 - Weapon downscales to your level, but can also upscale to its original stats as you level up.

Hoping some modders will make this happen. This game deserves it.

Mods that I want:
1.horse(fly mode enable)
2.hair style and colour mods for all NPC.
3.transparent clothes for the whores and all female npc.
4.know all the unvisited location of the shrine of power(like in skyrim mods)

Last edited:
Top Bottom