The Witcher 3 Modding

+
The Creation Kit was released 3 1/2 months after Skyrim's release. So CD Project has about two weeks left. Even more if they want to release a tool similar to the original REDKit. And to be honest the Creation Kit is a buggy diva. This thing has bugs which are known since the Oblivion version of it. Beth only can create those modding tools so fast because it's the 4th iteration of the same tool for the same engine. Without the tools made by the community, many mods wouldn't exist.

And as a mod maker I want the REDKit2 out, the REDKit is a great tool, and way more stable and intuitive than Beth's editors ever will be, but considering with what kind of "editors" game developers - or all kinds of developers - have to work with during production, it's no wonder a properly made tool as the REDKit takes time. And as bad as I want it I'd rather have a working tool than a half broken thing, that in worst case destroys your hard work by corrupting it. And I somehow doubt CDProjekt has the manpower to work on an Expansion, bugfixing, DLC and an editor at a customer satisfying pace.

The modding scene for TW2 is still active, even TW1 is not dead yet. There is a New Game + DLC coming, a new expansion in little more than 1 1/2 months.
And the Modding scene for TW3 isn't dead either, we are able to rebalance the game, edit items, exchange textures, it just takes a little more time than Skyrim modding.

I don't fear that this game will die if we don't get the tools within the next days, weeks, or months. But who am I kidding: I want those tools now!

I know how you guys feel. I don't mind waiting until they are ready to be released, but I hate the current dead silence from the developers about it.

WoW.. Easy off , will ya? :)

Skyrime Release Date: 10 Nov, 2011

Skyrim Creation Kit relise date Feb 7, 2012

It wasn't NOW it was latter, Give them a break

Well, in my opinion the vanilla game needs a lot more polishing, bugfixing and delivered missing features.
I think it will need a lot more time fixing this game to be fully enjoyable. I'd rather have the game fixed first, before the expansion is released.

Maybe CDPR should delay the expansion for some month and bring up some more people for the patches.
I just want to indicate my own thread to see the huge amount of bugs, and it's by far not all bugs and polishing the game still needs listed there.

Although I know many people want REDKIT, it shouldn't be the solution to bugs and missing features. Well we can only hope.

Here's the link to my thread:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...(PC-buglist-build-1-08)?p=1868805#post1868805

Last edited:
Maybe CDPR should delay the expansion for some month and bring up some more people for the patches.
I just want to indicate my own thread to see the huge amount of bugs, and it's by far not all bugs and polishing the game still needs listed there.

It's posts like this that make me question if people have even a slight grasp on game development. Sure you could maybe steal a couple programmers from the expansion (I'm guessing the majority are working on patches anyways) to sort out bugs, but the artists are of no use, the writers no good for that, animators probably not and so on. If anything they would be stealing programmers and combat designers from CP2077, but I have a feeling any major changes to combat will come in an expansion.

Any story and quest improvents that people have asked for would be so far down the line (if at all) it's not worth delaying the expansions for.

Last edited:
I don't want more expansions than the 2 already announced, because these 2 were planned since day one so they will bring something interesting. Starting more expansions would be done in a hurry and would probably not be as good as they should. After the last expansion, I want CDPR to focus on CyberPunk 2077 because this game is going to be a hell of a game.

CDPR stated that they will dedicate themselves to Witcher 3 until 2017. !
2017 I'm not sure since the 2nd and last expansion will probably come out around April 2016

Last edited:
CDPR stated that they will dedicate themselves to Witcher 3 until 2017. What exactly are they going to be doing with it for 2 more years? Make 2 expansions + patches?

Think about how much time CDPR spent developing the engine, graphics, the main story, etc. Now that all this is ready, they could release a new 100hr+ campaign within a fraction of the time it took them to make the original game. I sure as hell hope for more than just 2 30hr expansions!

Witcher 3 will only keep on living ONLY if there is more content and variety because after 2 play-throughs, it becomes boring and not really worth playing again because the story is what drives Witcher 3 and once you already experience it 1-2 times, doing so one more time is not that fun.

The other idea is to let people create content by releasing modding tools! Why not release them now? User-made content could be awesome too! We could at least get higher-resolution textures and better graphics to add some value to Witcher 3 re-play. I don't understand why Skyrim editor was released so soon after Skyrim release and yet we have to wait 1-2 more years for Witcher 3 editor to be released???

Right now Witcher 3 is a very static game and only more content, either developer or user, shall keep Witcher 3 alive. I know Skyrim and Witcher 3 are NOT to be compared, BUT think about this - people still play Skyrim TODAY, 4 years after it came out. Will just as many people play Witcher 3 4 years from now or will Witcher 3 be dead and forgotten in 4 years? I want it to live, but for that we need more content, more variety, more modding!

The sense of entitlement is strong with this one.

The sense of entitlement is strong with this one.

I don't think it's entitlement but desperation. I only recently had my mind opened about this, and the bottom line is that it's hard for any PC player/modder to look at Witcher 3 without thinking "Oh man - the possibility!" I know it's going to take time to get Redkit out, and I myself know very little about programming so it's best left to the professionals.

However, they are going to be fighting for continued players with Fallout 4 right around the corner - a game that already has news for modding. All I'm asking for is news. Hints on features. Something to keep us going and going after we've gone through the game 3 times.

What about taking a page from other developers' books and having a public alpha or beta for it? This is so doubtful that I don't even know why I typed it (must be that desperation - haha), but it really could work and take a ton of pressure off of CDPR.

Last time there was a closed beta for the REDKit, maybe well get news about that soon-ish.
Good thing is, Fallout and TES modders are usually not the same persons - some are, but those mod about everything for the sake of modding, not for the game.
with TW's modders it's usually more about the game and the story behind it, not the modding alone.

A lot of people must already have asked this but. Do you think that with the Redkit it will possible to make a mod like ... infinite LOD or huge distant terrain/ Draw distance or something? Or Umbra will be a pain in the as even then?

A lot of people must already have asked this but. Do you think that with the Redkit it will possible to make a mod like ... infinite LOD or huge distant terrain/ Draw distance or something? Or Umbra will be a pain in the as even then?
that's something i'd love to know myself !
can we EVEN modify them through the REDkit 2 ? has it been actually confirmed yet or just mere specualation ?

Last edited:
I don't think it's entitlement but desperation. I only recently had my mind opened about this, and the bottom line is that it's hard for any PC player/modder to look at Witcher 3 without thinking "Oh man - the possibility!" I know it's going to take time to get Redkit out, and I myself know very little about programming so it's best left to the professionals.

However, they are going to be fighting for continued players with Fallout 4 right around the corner - a game that already has news for modding. All I'm asking for is news. Hints on features. Something to keep us going and going after we've gone through the game 3 times.

What about taking a page from other developers' books and having a public alpha or beta for it? This is so doubtful that I don't even know why I typed it (must be that desperation - haha), but it really could work and take a ton of pressure off of CDPR.

I am a PC player so I don't know what you are talking about there but [shrug].

There is major sense of entitlement in the statements made by monarchX it was factually incorrect in many aspects and its a rant that boils down to give me what i want now. Just because you want something really bad doesn't negate entitlement when you think you deserve it just "because."

Last time there was a closed beta for the REDKit, maybe well get news about that soon-ish.
Good thing is, Fallout and TES modders are usually not the same persons - some are, but those mod about everything for the sake of modding, not for the game.
with TW's modders it's usually more about the game and the story behind it, not the modding alone.

Good points, but I think you're forgetting that TW2's modding scene was teensy tiny. I'd assume the plan for TW3's is to try to expand it to the size of Fallout and TES modding. It would be nice if it happened, anyway. But I do see the playerbase sort of going the direction you're talking about already, even just from reading these forums. Not as many are concerned with good story anymore - instead we get a huge demand for weird things like New Game Plus (which, frankly, I've never understood - seems pointless to me). But maybe it's sort of a good thing - maybe it will bring more of a modding "scene" to TW3? I mean, we'll still be here to make the quality quest mods, but there will be all kinds of other stuff going on too. Catch my drift?

---------- Updated at 07:56 AM ----------

I am a PC player so I don't know what you are talking about there but [shrug].

There is major sense of entitlement in the statements made by monarchX it was factually incorrect in many aspects and its a rant that boils down to give me what i want now. Just because you want something really bad doesn't negate entitlement when you think you deserve it just "because."

No one said anything about deserving anything. I think you're being way too harsh on the guy. Ease up.

Very well said ! :eek:kay:

---------- Updated at 03:10 PM ----------

The Creation Kit was released 3 1/2 months after Skyrim's release. So CD Project has about two weeks left. Even more if they want to release a tool similar to the original REDKit. And to be honest the Creation Kit is a buggy diva. This thing has bugs which are known since the Oblivion version of it. Beth only can create those modding tools so fast because it's the 4th iteration of the same tool for the same engine. Without the tools made by the community, many mods wouldn't exist.

And as a mod maker I want the REDKit2 out, the REDKit is a great tool, and way more stable and intuitive than Beth's editors ever will be, but considering with what kind of "editors" game developers - or all kinds of developers - have to work with during production, it's no wonder a properly made tool as the REDKit takes time. And as bad as I want it I'd rather have a working tool than a half broken thing, that in worst case destroys your hard work by corrupting it. And I somehow doubt CDProjekt has the manpower to work on an Expansion, bugfixing, DLC and an editor at a customer satisfying pace.

The modding scene for TW2 is still active, even TW1 is not dead yet. There is a New Game + DLC coming, a new expansion in little more than 1 1/2 months.
And the Modding scene for TW3 isn't dead either, we are able to rebalance the game, edit items, exchange textures, it just takes a little more time than Skyrim modding.

I don't fear that this game will die if we don't get the tools within the next days, weeks, or months. But who am I kidding: I want those tools now!

Very well said ! :eek:kay:

Excuse me, I need help in modding. I want to give an opportunity to see Geralt temnoete without the "cat". In dark locations has poor lighting and I want to increase its radius. Where is the script that is responsible for this function. Help.

Hi,

I am currently working on a mod project that changes models [mesh,fbx] of bunch of swords.

Problem is runes get all screwed up when I use edited sword, you can see that in this video.

I came across an information that the runes have something to do with UV maps.

I am new to blender, I do not fully understand how to combine or add uv maps for a material or face, I am so new to this I can't even define my problem in proper terms used by artists.

I was hoping someone could point me in relevant direction. I came across this blender tutorial but with my limited knowledge it is hard for me to understand.

Thanx. :)

Top Bottom