The Witcher 3 PC Ultra vs. Ps4 - no difference, downgraded

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the comparison between the Ultra PC and 35 minutes demo, when Geralt is outside Novigrad. In the latter, you could see very well Novigrad and the mountains behind it. Now it is all blurred with horrible fog.

Yes. I know. And i mean mountains and buildings. This is not draw distance. This is LOD. I mean we can clearly see the siluet of objects. And they are same. But we can not see the shaders and materials on them. Because light does not illuminate them in that distance. And it depends on LOD quality.

About interior lighting - i thought you talked about sun lighting. Yes. in that scene interior lighting not as good as 35 min demo. You are right. But i really do not understand why. It seems that lighting does not effect the humans. They are way shiny compare the room lighting. It reminds me dark souls 2 lighting situation.

Not many people know this, but they were nearly bankrupt just before they released Witcher 2. Getting into the stock market kinda saved them. Add into the equation the sheer scale of this game (The company had to grow how many times? 4-5? Just to achieve the amount of content), and you get the result that if they hadn't released this game for all the platforms at the same time, they had probably gone bankrupt. (Or selling it for more than double the price for PC, you know... I don't think everyone would have been willing to pay $150 for a standard edition, if it were released just for PC. I know it would have been hard for me)

Maybe.
But is this a justification for a bad console port?

Doesn't seems to me that Crytek went in bankrupt with Crysis 1 release.

Crysis sold well but the developers/publishers hoped it would do even better. Other games with good PC versions like Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs are the same. Selling well but not as well as they hoped. Sleeping Dogs sequel is a MOBA and Tomb Raider sequel is a timed exclusive for Xbox One.

Edit: I want to add people were hoping these games would do better at launch. Which is why their sequels are very different.

Last edited:
The definition of a bad console port is that it runs well on console but poorly on PC. I don't think that is the case with TW3. The PC version will be the most superior version.

It looks great. Probably will play great and be one of the greatest modern RPG experience. But I guess that's still not enough for elitists.

---------- Updated at 06:25 PM ----------

Got one in before thread lock :D

The biggest part that kills me, is that when the 35 minute demo came out, 5 months ago. After they already said the game was completed, after they said they were only delaying for bugs, I was sad because the quality wasn't what we'd seen before.

But then Marcin said the quality was still there, and we all sat here on this forum and broke the images down and were able to see that, yeah, the quality was still there, it was just art direction and sharpening turned off for the most part. The game still looked fantastic.

And then, after five months of bug fixing, to get a game that is so far away from the 35 minute gameplay demo (again, that was only a few months ago) just feels like abject betrayal.

I cannot see any reason to remove the effects that were very obviously working, that made game look absolutely gorgeous (at least compared to the retail build).

I can agree with not getting a person's hopes up when watching CGI, and initial release footage. But a half hour of multi-area open-world gameplay footage that is released around the same time that the game was actually supposed to come out? And it was only being held back for 'polish and fixing'?

How is a consumer not supposed to treat that as exactly what they are going to be getting when the game comes out?

I spent $400 upgrading my computer to be able to play the game that I saw in the 35 minute demo, because the quality was there, and I wanted the best possible Witcher 3 experience I could have. I was stoked about this game. More than any game I've been interested in for the last 5-10 years.

And to now get a version of the game so heavily gutted that I needn't have upgraded my computer at all, to be completely denied the best experience of the Witcher 3 that I was promised during a timeframe when there should be /nothing/ removed from the game. I just. I don't even know how to feel.

I feel like I pre-ordered the witcher 3, and they decided to give me skyrim instead. I know, there will be a lot of hate on this post, asking how I can care about graphics that much, but for everyone whom gameplay means more than graphics, there are people to whom graphics mean as much as gameplay.

I've had great gameplay games for years. I've had great story games for years. If I want amazing intrigue, I'll play a pen'paper game or read a book. But what I wanted was to experience the world of the witcher and feel like I was really there.

This isn't the case for some, I guess, but I can't look at this new version compared to the video that convinced me to buy the game only a handful of months ago, and feel even a fraction as excited about it.

I got my pre-order 20% off, because preorder and owning both previous games. Up until now, I've been telling myself that I can feel good about not cancelling my preorder because at least I'm getting 80% of the game we were promised. I'm not so sure that's the case any more, and I'm really not sure I want to spend money on supporting a company who would so blatantly bait and switch their customers like this.

Well, I have a few more hours to decide, anyway.

Anyways, sorry about the rant, just needed to get that off my chest.

So, question. Why has the lighting taken such a hit on PC? It's the easiest feature to implement as far as I'm aware. So why was it reduced for PC as well, as it's shouldn't have cost much in extra workload? The Brothel lighting looks terrible. The interior lighting in Witcher 1 was more atmospheric.

I wonder if there will be a slap across every Pc' player's face tomorrow or if we already received it.

If there is a magic patch that blows everyone sceptic away (in terms of graphics) i would be honestly suprised because that would be an industry first.

Last edited:
So, question. Why has the lighting taken such a hit on PC? It's the easiest feature to implement as far as I'm aware. So why was it reduced for PC as well, as it's shouldn't have cost much in extra workload? The Brothel lighting looks terrible. The interior lighting in Witcher 1 was more atmospheric.

platform parity...

Sorry but I am going to open my mouth and speak up ...

And I must say I find it ironic that just a few months back people on this very forum were bashing Neograf for being uncivilized, childish and whatnot and yet they seem to be able to have a calm, constructive and mature conversion about this subject without pointless one liners.

Why is this not possible on this forum anymore I simply wonder? As the mods say if you don't have anything to contribute then don't write at all and if you do keep it civil. How hard can it be?

The internet is a negative place and when I signed up for the forums, I had forgotten how bad it gets. When I played WOW I had to stop going to the forums there because it was the same thing.... Blizz lies, Blizz hates us, blizz likes cheaters, blizz supports gold farmers, the expansion is not worth X dollars, etc. etc. etc. and it was ruining my gamming fun. At least here the Mods keep it more civil. I have played the first 2 Witchers on release, I have not participated much on the forums - people get too upset and it takes away from why I play games in the first place, to get away from a crazy world.

My advice - watch a little news on TV, do a little web surfing, watch a few YouTube videos, read a few reviews and when your depressed or angry go play a game. As of tomorrow, I will be in the witcher 3 and will do my best to avoid the negativity that is the web. Since its a solo game I wont see the same negativity on chat either. :)

I will look to see if when the Redkit and mods come out.... if I get stuck in game I will look for guides to help me, but I will keep my forum time limited because life is too short to fill it with so many angry people. I don't think I could be a forum mod as my profession, I bet the suicide rate is higher than dentist.

Doesn't matter whats the reason deciding to downgrade it, it happened and its real....:( Also no reason to lie to loyal PC fanbase about it either? multiple threads and multiple times... Tuesday they will have to own up to it more than likely... We will see what happens till then.

You can't compare the hardware of a console with that of a PC and expect the same results. If you don't know that, then there's no point arguing. Consoles are much more efficient, that's why an older hardware can still push very good graphics that require a more powerful PC.
But yeah, whatever, downgrade, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Constructive criticism dont want the thread to be locked...there will be a lot more going on behind the scenes than just suddenly deciding to downgrade it.

What I wrote is constructive criticism. I am telling everyone how this makes me feel, and I am sure I am not alone.

They lied to us, they owe us an apology. I don't care why the games graphics were downgraded, I just care that they lied to us over and over again and said there was no downgrade. Yet now we can clearly see there was a downgrade!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom