The Witcher 3 PC Ultra vs. Ps4 - no difference, downgraded

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK that game was funded on kickstarter with ridiculous amounts of money. CDPR do not have that luxury.

I also believe they could have KS'd a proper PC version just to have some extra funds to work with combined with their own. Now it would be impossible, too much damage was done.

If the rumored DirectX 12 patch ends up being true I hope it contains the same kind improvements that Crytek did to Crysis 2 with their DX11 patch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZgt4hA4-pc&hd=1

It's the best thing CDPR could to add this point in order to build their trust back up with PC gamers as well focus as keeping their PR approach a lot more honest from now on.

I think many will be quite skeptical and will not be able to believe anything that CDPR shows from Cyberpunk 2077 in the future because of this whole situation.

I can only the thankful that the actual game itself seems to be pretty amazing as it's been quite a while since I played a really good quality AAA produced title.

This is comparison between the latest PC version and the 35 minutes gameplay (presumably on PC) released by CDPR in August 2014, location is the bridge before a gate used to enter Novigrad:

I am actually baffled why would they downgrade it - they had the asset in August 2014, as this frame proves, so why remove it from the PC version?

This comparison screams: "Have you seen where my tessellation has gone?" Tessellation comes at a performance cost, and for sure the weak GPU in both consoles couldn't handle it.

Maybe they should kickstart then. I only pointed that out because its a Pc only game and a niche genre on top of that. Minecraft was also PC only first btw.

Guys CDPR choose to go the route of consoles because it was the best for their pockets. and they succeeded They made an amazing and the BEST LOOKING open world RPG CONSOLE game to this date.

This is comparison between the latest PC version and the 35 minutes gameplay (presumably on PC) released by CDPR in August 2014, location is the bridge before a gate used to enter Novigrad:

I am actually baffled why would they downgrade it - they had the asset in August 2014, as this frame proves, so why remove it from the PC version?

Just why... :facepalm:

If the rumored DirectX 12 patch ends up being true I hope it contains the same kind improvements that Crytek did to Crysis 2 with their DX11 patch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZgt4hA4-pc&hd=1

It's the best thing CDPR could to add this point in order to build their trust back up with PC gamers as well focus as keeping their PR approach a lot more honest from now on.

I think many will be quite skeptical and will not be able to believe anything that CDPR shows from Cyberpunk 2077 in the future because of this whole situation.

I can only the thankful that the actual game itself seems to be pretty amazing as it's been quite a while since I played a really good quality AAA produced title.

Yup. They are EA now. Why there is 4x less people playing Battlefield Hardline vs Battlefield 4 - is not because of cops and robbers. I truely believe people are tired of funding crappy companies. I would like to believe people have standards and morals in life. And disagree with companies lying to push a product.

Hoesntly shouldn't have to be dependent on mods, ini file tweaks, sweetfx filters, or dx 12 hope....It should have been better than that 2014 35 minute demo like they said it was going to be....That was an actual running build with assets and everything....Then along came Microsoft flashing that advertising money lol.... Just a guess but console parity is to blame most definitely here.

... man... downgrade, housing mods, specs... how I miss the days of discussing the politics within the game.

Funny thing, though... I started playing W2 with uberultraMcDaddy settings... then I started tweaking what I saw in front of me to what I liked... ended up with a highly customized view, which included changes in the game's settings, video card settings, and monitor settings. Imagine that... someone using all of those sliders|knobs|ticks to adjust to personal taste, rather than a one size fits all setting.

Guys CDPR choose to go the route of consoles because it was the best for their pockets. and they succeeded They made an amazing and the BEST LOOKING open world RPG CONSOLE game to this date.

I am not in agreement with that statement. Sounds too much like one of the clickbait titles for a review for the game.

GTAV looks honestly quite a bit better. I know its not an RPG but its open world and in terms of water, skybox and lighting it has Witcher 3 easily beat by a mile.

Not hating or anything btw. It looks good but its not the best looking open world game at all IMO. Personally even Red Dead's Redemption day and night cycle looks heaps and bounds better than witcher 3's. And thats on ps3 and xbox360.

Judge for yourselves:

Witcher 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLRDsMwS4Vs
RDR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pROWml_4sYQ

Well my two cents of this whole matter that seem to spread like fire on a dry savanna through the entire internet at the moment.

First of all I don't think that the supposedly downgrade is as bad as some make it out to be and it really isn't. After all no matter how you twist and turn it the game in terms of graphically fidelity and technologically prowess will set new standards for RPGs in years to come. I have no doubt about that. Furthermore the game has actually improved in areas compared to the older material which is hardly ever mentioned if at all and that's a shame.

I think the reason why that is and why some talk with a very big mouth has something to do with that people generally felt that CDPR was better than "this" and was a frontier compared to other studios. That applied in that areas like it to pushing the limits in games, always being honest with it's audience, they went ways the other studios would never dare venture.

And they still do but the honesty part seem to have suffered lately or at least the communication. Personally I must admit I have been shocked about how CDPR have handled this situation. It's not so much the potential of a downgrade that bothers me. In all honesty I don't much care for that. It's more the change in atmosphere that bothers me but I have discuss that subject a hundred times in other threads so I will leave that out here. What does bother me is the matter of not communicating what was happening with the game when the roar of this issue first started in the corners of the internet.

And I am sorry to be so frank here but you really had to be in big denial if you couldn't see that the first trailers (DEBUT and VGX) and what came after where miles apart from those two. I remember the first downgrade thread where people were claiming time of day, not the same areas and whatnot was reason for the changes we saw and yet it was so obvious that something wasn't really right and something had changed quite dramatically. It was at least obvious to me and that is really something when I can see it. Trust me when I say I am not a graphic expect and I often fail to see what other people say is obvious differences when eg. Digital Foundry throw up a comparison video on their Youtube channel and I just sit and can't for the life of me see what are they seeing. And yet here with The VGX and DEBUT compared to the newer material it was like night and day. So to me that something was going on.

But there was no words from CDPR other than it's fine, don't worry it will live up to that quality of the earlier trailers. There is no downgrade.

Well reassured by that we went on till the next videos or screenshots and the subject flared up again and the same LP was playing from CDPR even insuring us that VGX could be replicated in game and there is still no downgrade. And on and on it went.

Now we are close to launch and suddenly we hear that VGX and the DEBUT trailers are just that - just "perfect" trailers and as such they should be taken as that and they are therefore not representative from the actually gameplay. And by the way if you believed they were anything else then you haven't understood anything about trailers and gameplay videos. Well I am sorry CDPR but then you shouldn't have said that eg VGX could be replicated in the final game when you now say otherwise. And if that was always the case then why didn't you just say that to begin with?

The VGX clearly states right at the beginning: IN GAME. Not trailer, not it's not to be confused with gameplay, not it's not representative and so on. Not even that it's subject to change in final product.

Now I will not jump out here and join the "CDPR lied to us" crowd because it serves no purpose and I don't think we are that far. After all they did release tons of material for us to watched and judge before we went out and bought the game. I just wish that that material was followed by some words of what was added and what was taken away and the reason behind those decisions. That would be communicating with the fans and being honest and I truly believe this storm CDPR are in now would never have happened then.

As of now however I see it like this: CDPR have taken a few deep scratches in a otherwise perfect image and it saddens me because they didn't really need to if they just had been honest with us and communicated clear.

Last edited:
I am not in agreement with that statement. Sounds too much like one of the clickbait titles for a review for the game.

GTAV looks honestly quite a bit better. I know its not an RPG but its open world and in terms of water, skybox and lighting it has Witcher 3 easily beat by a mile.

Not hating or anything btw. It looks good but its not the best looking open world game at all IMO. Personally even Red Dead's Redemption day and night cycle looks heaps and bounds better than witcher 3's. And thats on ps3 and xbox360.

Judge for yourselves:

Witcher 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLRDsMwS4Vs
RDR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pROWml_4sYQ

Tousche - apart of me was saying the best looking game to make a point. That it's quite a good looking game on a console. :D Not on PC.

The downgrade is obvious but I really don't mind that much. What matters is the atrocious pop in that still haven't been fixed at all with the patch. This is not to accuse the developers or saying that it will spoil my enjoyoment, but pop in like below shouldn't be in final version (ps4, patch applied):

Is there any chance we get any info from CD about this?

console 1 : pc 0

dont worry cdpr , pc comunity will vote with their wallets next time
hope you will see that extra money you get from MS and Sony to make game looks equal on all platforms is not worth the reputation lost

It's still a very pretty game and let's face it. when they started emphasizing the platform parity bit we should have known it was coming. The unfortunate part is not the final look but that it takes an expensive PC to run it with visuals barely a step up from a console. My graphics card alone is more expensive than a PS4. At any rate, mods will be inbound allowing us to play with filters and sharpen textures. I think it's time to put it to rest. Or at the very least, try not to be dicks about it and rub this in their faces. This was an unfortunate reality of getting to know the console hardware mid development.

Last edited:
Well my two cents...

You missed the point that the people are discussing the videos labeled "gameplay" which look better than the final product. VGX and Debut trailer are not what started this discussion. Most recently released footage compare the "gameplay" 2014 trailer with the preview/review version of the game.

Unless you want CDPR to sell horse armor for $$$ in-game, don't bring Star Citizen into this discussion. That's really the last game anyone needs to take hints from.

Mods or anything shouldn't fix what the developers didn't do... Redkit prolly wont be released for a year at least maybe more... I will vote with my wallet like many others, and the silence/lies on the obvious downgrade is only hurting your once stellar reputation... Sad to see you fall so far CDPR, but that microsoft money must have been really great lol. Oh well people are seeing it before its too late and they cant cancel preorders or get money back... I can't believe they let consoles stream with early copies while PC players have to wait for the DRM code/patch to release the game for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom