The Witcher 3 PC Ultra vs. Ps4 - no difference, downgraded

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah - I think everyone is just tired of hearing about it. Laws / standards don't seem to apply to the gaming community. Not many seem to care about morals or the right thing to do.

Graphics are what they are. 1:1 port. We all know that now. Nothing can be changed. I was just really excited about the in game trailers. Now I'm a little less excited about the game. It's a little bit of a let down. (I"M SURE it will still be great - just not AS GREAT to me. )

Last edited by a moderator:
I will reserve my judgement until I actually play the game. As a big fan of this series, and a big defender of CDPR for many years. If it is true that the downgrade is this severe. Then I will sadly say that CDPR has lost a lot of respect from me. I really hope this is not the case, as they are the last game dev I know with some real integrity.

I didn't say anything about looking bad or good (just in case - I think it looks amazing). I was saying that PC version has better graphics than console based on the video comparison. Which OP states shows quite the opposite. Just watch the video. There are some slight differences in some places and some quite notable differences in others.
Also about "current PC hardware is miles ahead of PS4/XB1" you're just wrong. Current gen consoles are on par with the average modern PCs, and due to the fact that it's easier to optimize game for console it's actually slightly above average. You don't want to make game, that you'll need a new PC to play. It would be stupid, unless you want to advertise your game engine.

Its not because you create a game that can handle top notch graphics it can't be played on average rigs. Why do you think there is low, med, high and ultra setting in most games? Thanks of this everyone with a low to high end rig can play any game. But in the case of TW3 High or Ultra or PS4 doesn't seem to make a big difference...

Well my two cents of this whole matter that seem to spread like fire on a dry savanna through the entire internet at the moment.

First of all I don't think that the supposedly downgrade is as bad as some make it out to be and it really isn't. After all no matter how you twist and turn it the game in terms of graphically fidelity and technologically prowess will set new standards for RPGs in years to come. I have no doubt about that. Furthermore the game has actually improved in areas compared to the older material which is hardly ever mentioned if at all and that's a shame.

I think the reason why that is and why some talk with a very big mouth has something to do with that people generally felt that CDPR was better than "this" and was a frontier compared to other studios. That applied in that areas like it to pushing the limits in games, always being honest with it's audience, they went ways the other studios would never dare venture.

And they still do but the honesty part seem to have suffered lately or at least the communication. Personally I must admit I have been shocked about how CDPR have handled this situation. It's not so much the potential of a downgrade that bothers me. In all honesty I don't much care for that. It's more the change in atmosphere that bothers me but I have discuss that subject a hundred times in other threads so I will leave that out here. What does bother me is the matter of not communicating what was happening with the game when the roar of this issue first started in the corners of the internet.

And I am sorry to be so frank here but you really had to be in big denial if you could see that the first trailers (DEBUT and VGX) and what came after where miles apart from those two. I remember the first downgrade thread where people were claiming time of day, not the same areas and whatnot was reason for the changes we saw and yet it was so obvious that something wasn't really right and something had changed quite dramatically. It was at least obvious to me and that is really something when I can see it. Trust me when I say I am not a graphic expect and I often fail to see what other people say is obvious differences when eg. Digital Foundry throw up a comparison video on their Youtube channel and I just sit and can't for the life of me see what are they seeing. And yet here with The VGX and DEBUT compared to the newer material it was like night and day. So to me that something was going on.

But there was no words from CDPR other than it's fine, don't worry it will live up to that quality of the earlier trailers. There is no downgrade.

Well reassured by that we went on till the next videos or screenshots and the subject flared up again and the same LP was playing from CDPR even insuring us that VGX could be replicated in game and there is still no downgrade. And on and on it went.

Now we are close to launch and suddenly we hear that VGX and the DEBUT trailers are just that - just "perfect" trailers and as such they should be taken as that and they are therefore not representative from the actually gameplay. And by the way if you believed they were anything else then you haven't understood anything about trailers and gameplay videos. Well I am sorry CDPR but then you shouldn't have said that eg VGX could be replicated in the final game when you now say otherwise. And if that was always the case then why didn't you just say that to begin with?

The VGX clearly states right at the beginning: IN GAME. Not trailer, not it's not to be confused with gameplay, not it's not representative and so on. Not even that it's subject to change in final product.

Now I will not jump out here and join the "CDPR lied to us" crowd because it serves no purpose and I don't think we are that far. After all they did release tons of material for us to watched and judge before we went out and bought the game. I just wish that that material was followed by some words of what was added and what was taken away and the reason behind those decisions. That would be communicating with the fans and being honest and I truly believe this storm CDPR are in now would never have happened then.

As of now however I see it like this: CDPR have taken a few deep scratches in a otherwise perfect image and it saddens me because they didn't really need to if they just had been honest with us and communicated clear.

Thank you for takeing the time to put this all into words I feel the same way all they had to do was communicate with us a bit more.

Some people seem to think that abusing the moderator's good will in this thread is ok.

As I've said before:

Stay on topic;
Post only if you have something to add to the topic, any off-topic of content free posts will be delete, if you already posted in this thread, don't post the exact same thing a few pages later;
Discuss things in a civilized manner.

post got deleted?

Yes, nobody is interested in hearing your Twitch adventures. Take it to PM.

console 1 : pc 0

dont worry cdpr , pc comunity will vote with their wallets next time
hope you will see that extra money you get from MS and Sony to make game looks equal on all platforms is not worth the reputation lost

I voted with my wallet this time, by getting a refund (store credit) on Steam. I'll wait and see what modders can do before considering a return trip. Who knows, maybe the 980TI will be out by then and I'll get it free when I buy the card.

I will reserve my judgement until I actually play the game. As a big fan of this series, and a big defender of CDPR for many years. If it is true that the downgrade is this severe. Then I will sadly say that CDPR has lost a lot of respect from me. I really hope this is not the case, as they are the last game dev I know with some real integrity.

Well mods are the only choice we got unless CDPR decides to revisit the development process for the game, which I highly doubt with all that's on their plate. And REDkit will be out much quicker this time, it's not going to be a year, but shortly after launch.

console 1 : pc 0

dont worry cdpr , pc comunity will vote with their wallets next time
hope you will see that extra money you get from MS and Sony to make game looks equal on all platforms is not worth the reputation lost

Are you the spokesman of the PC community? I don't remember allowing you to speak on my behalf.

In any case, there are many things that may affect the game during development, performance optimizations and making the game look good and work well for as many people as possible is very important.
Before you scream consoles, let me remind you that not every PC gamer has top of the line hardware, so those people also need to be considered and the game must also be enjoyable to them, this includes good visuals and good performance.

So unless you know what the reasons for making changes to the game are, just screaming parity or downgrade is just an insult to the developers. Especially from people who don't know anything about development (no you per se, as I don't know you, but in general).

So the newest patch the Twitch streamers are using has some extra Graphics options that were not in the IGN build 2 days ago...

- Vsync is gone in favor of a more direct FPS limiter.
- They've added common settings for Resolution, Window mode, and display that were missing before.
- They've added additional options for: "Foliage visibility range", "Maximum Background characters", and "hardware cursor".
- "Gamma" adjustment (which was really just brightness) also looks to be gone or moved somewhere else.

Well my two cents of this whole matter that seem to spread like fire on a dry savanna through the entire internet at the moment.

First of all I don't think that the supposedly downgrade is as bad as some make it out to be and it really isn't. After all no matter how you twist and turn it the game in terms of graphically fidelity and technologically prowess will set new standards for RPGs in years to come. I have no doubt about that. Furthermore the game has actually improved in areas compared to the older material which is hardly ever mentioned if at all and that's a shame.

I think the reason why that is and why some talk with a very big mouth has something to do with that people generally felt that CDPR was better than "this" and was a frontier compared to other studios. That applied in that areas like it to pushing the limits in games, always being honest with it's audience, they went ways the other studios would never dare venture.

And they still do but the honesty part seem to have suffered lately or at least the communication. Personally I must admit I have been shocked about how CDPR have handled this situation. It's not so much the potential of a downgrade that bothers me. In all honesty I don't much care for that. It's more the change in atmosphere that bothers me but I have discuss that subject a hundred times in other threads so I will leave that out here. What does bother me is the matter of not communicating what was happening with the game when the roar of this issue first started in the corners of the internet.

And I am sorry to be so frank here but you really had to be in big denial if you couldn't see that the first trailers (DEBUT and VGX) and what came after where miles apart from those two. I remember the first downgrade thread where people were claiming time of day, not the same areas and whatnot was reason for the changes we saw and yet it was so obvious that something wasn't really right and something had changed quite dramatically. It was at least obvious to me and that is really something when I can see it. Trust me when I say I am not a graphic expect and I often fail to see what other people say is obvious differences when eg. Digital Foundry throw up a comparison video on their Youtube channel and I just sit and can't for the life of me see what are they seeing. And yet here with The VGX and DEBUT compared to the newer material it was like night and day. So to me that something was going on.

But there was no words from CDPR other than it's fine, don't worry it will live up to that quality of the earlier trailers. There is no downgrade.

Well reassured by that we went on till the next videos or screenshots and the subject flared up again and the same LP was playing from CDPR even insuring us that VGX could be replicated in game and there is still no downgrade. And on and on it went.

Now we are close to launch and suddenly we hear that VGX and the DEBUT trailers are just that - just "perfect" trailers and as such they should be taken as that and they are therefore not representative from the actually gameplay. And by the way if you believed they were anything else then you haven't understood anything about trailers and gameplay videos. Well I am sorry CDPR but then you shouldn't have said that eg VGX could be replicated in the final game when you now say otherwise. And if that was always the case then why didn't you just say that to begin with?

The VGX clearly states right at the beginning: IN GAME. Not trailer, not it's not to be confused with gameplay, not it's not representative and so on. Not even that it's subject to change in final product.

Now I will not jump out here and join the "CDPR lied to us" crowd because it serves no purpose and I don't think we are that far. After all they did release tons of material for us to watched and judge before we went out and bought the game. I just wish that that material was followed by some words of what was added and what was taken away and the reason behind those decisions. That would be communicating with the fans and being honest and I truly believe this storm CDPR are in now would never have happened then.

As of now however I see it like this: CDPR have taken a few deep scratches in a otherwise perfect image and it saddens me because they didn't really need to if they just had been honest with us and communicated clear.

Yup, the negativity wouldnt be half as bad had they been honest and open. Thats why people love CPR, not for the graphics of their games but for their open and honest approach trusting their fans, no DRM for example.

Well my two cents

Hit the nail on the head, how this was handled is actually worse than the downgrade itself.

CDPR did have a perfect image for me as well after The Witcher 2, I believed them to be one of the few (if not the only one) left in this industry that could do no wrong.

So the newest patch the Twitch streamers are using has some extra Graphics options that were not in the IGN build 2 days ago...

Yeah - added a bit more flair to it, but it is what it is.... Much aside from mods and PERHAPS the redkit will change anything - as of now the graphics aren't going to come close to 2014 demo - definitely not 2013.

Hit the nail on the head, how this was handled is actually worse than the downgrade itself.

CDPR did have a perfect image for me as well after The Witcher 2, I believed them to be one of the few (if not the only one) left in this industry that could do no wrong.

Same here! I know graphics aren't anything - but the trust factor is gone.

Are you the spokesman of the PC community? I don't remember allowing you to speak on my behalf.

In any case, there are many things that may affect the game during development, performance optimizations and making the game look good and work well for as many people as possible is very important.
Before you scream consoles, let me remind you that not every PC gamer has top of the line hardware, so those people also need to be considered and the game must also be enjoyable to them, this includes good visuals and good performance.

So unless you know what the reasons for making changes to the game are, just screaming parity or downgrade is just an insult to the developers. Especially from people who don't know anything about development (no you per se, as I don't know you, but in general).

On the other side of the coin claiming that there wasn't any downgrade, overselling/overpromising the product and contradicting themselves in Interviews is quite insulting to the customer IMO.

We still havent seen those ''uber'' setting in action have we?

Why dont we just relax until may 19, theres no reason to be so upset, at least not for now.

I keep coming back to it. The 35min Gameplay demo was put up less than 5 months ago.

That was supposed to be the definitive representation of what the game would look like.

No bullshot trailers, no CGI, a developer riding around in the gameworld and saying, 'Hey, look at this fucking awesome game we made. You are totally going to get to play this.'

As much as I /still/ want to play the game. Can I really in good conscious give CDPR money if the final product turns out to be what we've seen, with so many things just ripped out of the game without even so much as a sorry? Just a 'The game looks gorgeous. Optimization, amirite?'(tm)

I'm not sure I can. I haven't made my final decision, but, it's very depressing to even be this close to committing to a cancellation on a game so potentially wonderful.

On the other side of the coin claiming that there wasn't any downgrade, overselling/overpromising the product and contradicting themselves in Interviews is quite insulting to the customer IMO.

And here's another good point. Graphics don't mean everything, however, treating us like we aren't idiots. Helps. Releasing a game that YOU KNOW looks pretty MUCH like the ps4 version... and telling the PC guys oh don't worry you guys will have a MUCH better looking game - then saying YT compression is the issue / or there is no day 1 patch yet, that doesn't make your credibility sit well with us that actually do care what the company says and how they treat their main fan base.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom