The Witcher 3 PC Ultra vs. Ps4 - no difference, downgraded

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit the nail on the head, how this was handled is actually worse than the downgrade itself.

CDPR did have a perfect image for me as well after The Witcher 2, I believed them to be one of the few (if not the only one) left in this industry that could do no wrong.

Agreed. I still seen them as a pc dev first and console dev second and trusted their "gameplay" trailers and interviews. Hence I spent a lot of money on pc upgrades. My own fault I suppose.

Borch3Dohlen is actually an old user, but his old account must be in the merger nether or something.

Huh, thought I must have been the only person who lost my old RED forum account during the merger since I hadn't seen anybody else mention losing theirs anywhere.

I keep coming back to it. The 35min Gameplay demo was put up less than 5 months ago.

That was supposed to be the definitive representation of what the game would look like.

No bullshot trailers, no CGI, a developer riding around in the gameworld and saying, 'Hey, look at this fucking awesome game we made. You are totally going to get to play this.'

As much as I /still/ want to play the game. Can I really in good conscious give CDPR money if the final product turns out to be what we've seen, with so many things just ripped out of the game without even so much as a sorry? Just a 'The game looks gorgeous. Optimization, amirite?'(tm)

I'm not sure I can. I haven't made my final decision, but, it's very depressing to even be this close to committing to a cancellation on a game so potentially wonderful.

Right. It was "Dumbed" down most likely because of Microsft and Sony. How do they sell a product if they can't even hit 1080p with decent graphics? The consoles have put quite a hampering on the PC world. NO MATTER what anyone says. IT DOES exist!

CDPR stated that they had to make 1 game on all 3 systems because of time, staffing, and money. So. 1 game to reign them all. System parity.

Agreed. I still seen them as a pc dev first and console dev second and trusted their "gameplay" trailers and interviews. Hence I spent a lot of money on pc upgrades. My own fault I suppose.

You aren't the only one. I did as well. Shame on us for trusting a company.

@phaino console parity was the main cause and I think them trying to achieve 60fps across the board as well. I would love to have the 2014 35 minute build and run it max with 30 fps then the downgrade now

Me too!

Listen, I"m all for fair in this world. But it goes like this. I spend $400 on a console. I should not get the same graphics that someone who spends $4k on a computer. Just doesn't add up. I get that NOT many people have that kind of system, but those that do. Get to push games to the limits, because they do.

System parity will just crash computer hardware, unless the game is just horribly optimized.

Last edited:
Has anyone mentioned the change in reported install size? 50gb was the initial size then on release its only 25. (Can't believe that, saying ONLY 25gb, I remember installing from floppy disks)

Probably nothing.

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/news/witcher_3_downgrade,49062,3085975.html

I dont know what to say. :(
Me fool believed what CDRed told us and that they are the last trustworthy Dev´s out there and now this huge disappointment.
I even wanted to upgrade to a gtx980ti because of Witcher 3. I realy believed the 35min Gameplaytrailer. I realy believed they will make, Quote:"my chin drop".
Shame on you CDRed.
Im done. From now on, i dont trust any Dev´s anymore.

Has anyone mentioned the change in reported install size? 50gb was the initial size then on release its only 25. (Can't believe that, saying ONLY 25gb, I remember installing from floppy disks)

Probably nothing.

yeah I brought this up awhile ago. w2 was 20 gigs. lol. that can tell you the difference. if i'm not mistaken GTA V is 60G?

Probably nothing.

another indicator is a 1 : 1 port from a console
you dont need and extra Gigs for a hd textures and such coz THERE IS NON

As a long-time fan of the Witcher games and someone who has followed the development of the Witcher 3 since the beginning, I have to admit that i'm deeply concerned over what has happened to the game over the past 6 months. I've heard countless excuses but none of them address the simple fact that PC games have Graphics levels that the user sets according to their hardware. That being the case, there should be absolutely no reason why the assets and graphical effects seen in the 35 minute video would be removed from the final product. Why on earth would your development team spend hundreds if not thousands of hours creating a beautiful world that convinced countless fans of the series to spend not just money on pre-ordering the game... but hundreds of dollars to upgrade their PC's.... only to pull a bait-and-switch at the last minute.

I spent the last year or so praising CDPR for being a developer who was the ONLY developer left that I fully trusted. You guys were the polar opposite to Ubisoft or Bioware who absolutely ruined the concluding chapter in the Mass Effect series. I loved how you guys kept showing us new content from The Witcher 3 because it made you look like you would deliver, and not do what many developers do like showing off one short, highly polished segment of the game in order to lock-in all those presales... only to release an 8 hour long POS like The Order 1886 or a buggy mess like Assassins Creed: Unity.

But in the end, it seems CDPR is just like the others. You've completely turned your back on the PC gamers who you owe the existence of your company to. And for what? To satisfy some Parity clause in the licensing contracts you signed with Microsoft and Sony in order for you to sell The Witcher 3 for their consoles? There are only 30 million PS4/Xbone's sold to consumers, and only a fraction of those will purchase this game.... but you cater to them while ignoring the FAR larger market which is PC gaming. There are far more than 30 million PC's out there with graphics cards able to run TW3, and last I checked... PC gaming for the past two years has been the global market revenue leader, absolutely crushing the console market and they actually include hardware sales in their numbers while the PC numbers don't.

I really hope that you guys saved those high quality assets because It would be in your companies best interest to begin work on TW3: Enhanced Edition w/DirectX 12. You saw the sh*t storm Bioware got hit with after they lied and burned their fans a couple years ago. I don't want that to happen to CDPR, but i can sense a storm is brewing.

Not more efficient, but its obviously much better to optimize cause there is only one ps4 and not 1000s of pc versions

Nonsense. There are only a few variables that require specific optimization and these are primarily focused on whether your PC uses Intel or AMD processors and nVidia or AMD graphics. All Intel and AMD processors while being different in design, all conform to x86 standards regardless of it being a dual-core or octo-core processor. Code optimizations are based on standardized Instruction sets that are not specific to either brand such as AVX, SSE4.1, etc. As long as the software is coded to function on these instruction sets, it will work with each CPU regardless of frequency, L2/L3 cache, etc.
The same goes for the standards used in graphics cards. Both AMD and nVidia cards while different in design all use the Direct3d API in this game and because of this the game doesn't have to be configured for each individual graphics card because it allows scaling according to GPU ability. Any features which are AMD or nVidia specific are implemented with the help of the graphics chip maker, as are all the driver optimizations needed to utilize the features. Perhaps you didn't get the memo, but Xbone also uses Direct3d API with an AMD CPU, so much of the work is already done since both use fully scale-able software behind them.
This idea that CDPR has to custom optimize every possible combination of CPU, GPU, chipset, etc is about as far from reality as imaginable. Much of that is already done through existing driver software. If what you claim was actually true, why is it that when brand new graphics cards are released, they almost always work with older games whose developers could have never imagined said future technology at the time.

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/news/witcher_3_downgrade,49062,3085975.html

I dont know what to say. :(
Me fool believed what CDRed told us and that they are the last trustworthy Dev´s out there and now this huge disappointment.
I even wanted to upgrade to a gtx980ti because of Witcher 3. I realy believed the 35min Gameplaytrailer. I realy believed they will make, Quote:"my chin drop".
Shame on you CDRed.
Im done. From now on, i dont trust any Dev´s anymore.

This is translated but for everyone that thinks consoles make CDPR a lot more money than PC sales... I doubt it.

" since CD Project on selling the PC version probably makes more money than his own download portal GOG.com, as per console game where you look at revenue with Sony or Microsoft , and must notify the dealers of the box versions. "

This is opinion but from a very trusted editor.

That german site says they received an "almost done" version of Witcher 3. So it's still not with the day 1 patch, but rather the same old tired pre-release version.

@mods: It worked better when there was one megathread for visuals; then everyone who wanted to harp about the downgrade could do it there and everyone else could avoid it and wasn't bothered by it in the rest of the forum. There's a graphics threads with 1000 pages on the Polish forum - why does it work there and not here?

@topic: Some of the comparison pics people dig up really look like ass. On the other hand I've seen a few recent screenshots (presumably PC on ultra) that look absolutely breathtaking. It's hard to believe that's all from the same game but it gives hope that under the right conditions it will look amazing.

Anyway, we'll know soon enough. Just two more days, people. Keep it together. :p

I must agree, we all need to be patient and judge for ourselves when we start playing the game. To much difference in the different pics. Besides that it is troubling when you look at the comparison video in the beginning of this thread, there is no denying that, no? People need to ventilate this concern...

Honestly, I was also extremely disappointed at the video. While this doesn't exactly prove a downgrade, what it does show is developers not taking full advantage of potential PC hardware. Even the draw distance doesn't look any larger on the PC Ultra preset which shocked me a little as not too long ago, Marcin said it WOULD be larger. I don't know what's wrong with the AO either as it doesn't seem to add any shading to grass. Far Cry 4 had the same solutions and it made a significant (and I mean SIGNFICANT) difference in the visuals.
Is this the slap in the face I was waiting for? I really hope CDPR has something else up their sleeves. While I still love how the game looks, it's just disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom