The Witcher 3 probably not 1080p on consoles.

+
The Witcher 3 probably not 1080p on consoles.

At Gamescom 2014, we couldn’t pass the opportunity to interview Jose Teixeira, CD Projekt RED‘s Visual Effects Artist, on The Witcher 3. We already gave you a little tease of our conversation, but here’s a few more interesting snippets while we’re transcribing everything.

Obviously, we asked him about the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of the game, and while he told us they’re coming along nicely, he didn’t seem confident that they will be running at 1080P.

Ideally, we’re pushing for 30 frames per second. The resolution, honestly, it depends; we’re working on it, we’re trying to get it as high as possible. If we can make it at 1080P, sure, but I don’t know if it’s going to make it. To be honest, I really don’t know. Probably not. But for sure, we need it to run at a smooth frame rate, so at least 30 FPS.

Source: http://www.worldsfactory.net/2014/08/20/the-witcher-3-probably-not-1080p-on-consoles

The shitstorm, I can feel it.

Could've sworn someone posted a link to a confirmation that it was 1080p on the PS4, 900p on the Xbox. Guess they're backtracking?

Yeah, but that was old news, this is fresh, straight from Jose Teixeira

Ah well. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is only so much a third party dev can get out of a €400 box. And seeing as I'm a console peasant, t'wll be PS4 for me.

Not aimed at OP but at anyone who this might rile up...
If your pathetic enough to let such a thing ruin your chances of an awesome game then maybe it's best you don't bother!
Graphic fidelity will be pretty much identical between consoles I would imagine. Things usually are unless you really really choose to nit pick and moan about things!
I'm sure the game will be epic on all the systems!

As a PC gamer, I have to say that I'm tired of hearing XB1 and PS4 complain/tout 1080p/60FPS capability. It's a standard that's been around forever that only now consoles are (just barely, it seems) capable of handling. This isn't a console-bashing post. I just wish console gamers would understand how meaningless it is. It was like the whole "next gen" labeling debacle. The hardware is the "next generation (read: iteration)" of that hardware. It was never "cutting edge".

Ultimately 1080p resolution is much less important than the framerate. Play in 720p again if need be, that should be fine; a game can look great at that resolution; but if frames dip, that can make a game un-enjoyable. Don't be so caught up in this whole "1080p" pissing contest.

@kirisute
For me the choice was always PC so ... ;)

@gregski

John Mamais stated sometime ago that they already have 1080p outputting on PS4, he probably shared this prematurely and soon people will go apeshit over this (hell, you already can see some mean comments on a less "controlled" parts of the internet).

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If fans demand too much information too early, either of two things can happen.
1. The developers make predictions and guesses, sometimes they are mistaken, and haters posing as fans jump on them for their mistakes.
2. The developers sensibly say nothing, and haters posing as fans jump on them for saying nothing.

gregski already said "Not on my watch."

I will add to that, "if you have something to say about it, keep it constructive and on-topic, or it will be deleted without notice."

Last edited:
I already called it. I had strong doubts that the consoles would be able to manage HD resolution with the Witcher 3, as they seem to struggle in general with these types of massive, high density open world games.. AC Unity is rumored to run at 720p on the PS4, but I doubt it will be that low. Most likely 900p, but certainly not 1080p..

Witcher 3's final output will most likely be 900p for the PS4, and 720p for the Xbox One.. Resolution is just one aspect of visual fidelity though, and is arguably the least important one..

This thread will go places, I can tell XD

Seriously speaking though, it doesn't surprise me. PS4/Xbone have just come out they can still be optimized through firmware updates and devs are not used to working with them yet.

I don't really care, last console I had was a Sega Mega Drive.

I´m getting this for the PS4 and tbh i dont really care.
If they get it to run at stable 1080p fine.
If they dont, still fine.
Also CDPR still has roughly 6 months until release so i guess there´s still a fair chance they will get it to 1080p

Last edited:
it depends
we’re working on it
we’re trying to get it as high as possible
If we can make it
but I don’t know
I really don’t know

I wouldn't take much away from this. There was another interview where John Mamais pretty confidently stated that it was 900p on Xbone and 1080p on PS4.

So who knows at this point, things can change in development, but Jose didn't seem very sure at all, just wait till closer to release and we'll find out.

Last gen it was "But but but graphics don't matter!" and this gen it's "graphics graphics graphics!".

Anyway, people are reading too much into it, all that means is they aren't yet ready and/or unsure to disclose that information.

I'm considering getting it on PS4 for now until I can save up for a better PC, and what worries me most (or what I prioritize) isn't the resolution but frame-rate. I prefer 900p 60fps than 1080p 30fps. Hell, I'd probably prefer 720p 60fps than 1080p 30fps.

Let's face it, "top tier graphics" games, and especially open world ones, will always dip below the advertised FPS during certain points. So if there comes a point where it dips below 60fps, it won't be too bad, especially on a TV. But dipping below 30fps will be very noticeable (GTA5, Far Cry 3 on PS3).

Usually 30fps is fine (if it doesn't dip) but what concerns me is during intense moments where the fps will dip below that advertised fps, which is why I'd prefer 60fps and lower resolution than 30fps and higher resolution.

That's just me, though, I'm sure some people here may disagree.

900p with fps locked @ 30 and up would look good no?
Hmm.. they will give us the best they can with what they have to work with I guess.
I'm not freaking out about it

Top Bottom