The Witcher 3 PS4 Pro patch issues

+
GabrieI;n10796811 said:
No they did the right thing to remove supersample. Supersample cause this performance issues. This is aga 1.31 version with HDR.

After testing with both supersampling disabled and enabled via system settings on ps4 pro I can confirm that running in 1080p is solid. The 4k mode is what is causing the horrendous pop-in for 1080p users, visible mostly in trees and it isn't limited to this issue as cut-scenes are affected in some way... allow me to iterate on this: during the cutscene when you're tasked with finding triss in Novigrad a soldier began to ragdoll move in and out of view and again during the final cutscene after eliminating the rat infestion with triss she still had a fireball in hand while talking to Geralt. I haven't yet experienced any of the graphical errors while in 1080p and the framerate is solid so I'm sticking to this mode until 4k is fixed, as should all 1080p users.

The_Operator_XIII;n10799421 said:
After testing with both supersampling disabled and enabled via system settings on ps4 pro I can confirm that running in 1080p is solid. The 4k mode is what is causing the horrendous pop-in for 1080p users, visible mostly in trees and it isn't limited to this issue as cut-scenes are affected in some way... allow me to iterate on this: during the cutscene when you're tasked with finding triss in Novigrad a soldier began to ragdoll move in and out of view and again during the final cutscene after eliminating the rat infestion with triss she still had a fireball in hand while talking to Geralt. I haven't yet experienced any of the graphical errors while in 1080p and the framerate is solid so I'm sticking to this mode until 4k is fixed, as should all 1080p users.

I can confirm that the draw distance is less aggressive when in 1080p. However, it's still worse than the previous patch overall. I'm starting to doubt that the 4k mode will be fixed. Maybe the devs deliberately tweaked down in order to improve performance in 4K. If so, I don't think it was a smart move 'cause why would anyone play in 4k with such terrible graphics? CDPR should say something about it.

Ok, PPL pls tell me how to downgrade Witcher GOTY to version 1.30 and start Blood & Wine only ? I will be grateful

Last edited:
keeper_d;n10802321 said:
Ok, PPL pls tell me how to downgrade Witcher GOTE to version 1.30 and start Blood & Wine only ? I will be grateful

Only works if you have the complete edition: Delete the game, disconnect your ps4 from the internet, and then put the disc back in. It will install with patch 1.30. Then you can start blood and wine from the main menu. You can't do this with the standard edition because it will reinstall without any of the patches so basically the first initial version of the game. You also can't do this with the digital version as it will download with the most recent patch.

Thank you guys, you fixed the the framerate issues and crashes that plague 1.51 patch for the 1080p users. I can confirm this patch (1.61) for 1080p is the mode to use for this game. It runs crazy smooth.

It's unfortunate for the 4K users though.

If you guys do release another patch, please do not touch whatever you did for the 1080p users. PLEASE!!

Here's proof what I'm referring too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HLo5S1ttHc&t=268s

MTaranto;n10799521 said:
I can confirm that the draw distance is less aggressive when in 1080p. However, it's still worse than the previous patch overall. I'm starting to doubt that the 4k mode will be fixed. Maybe the devs deliberately tweaked down in order to improve performance in 4K. If so, I don't think it was a smart move 'cause why would anyone play in 4k with such terrible graphics? CDPR should say something about it.

Thank you for confirming what I had begun to suspect this morning. So 1080p has been affected too, but to a far lesser extent it seems. I assume you did a side by side comparison... in any case, this is entirely unacceptable and to be honest it's utter BS. I appreciated the effort back in October when the 4k mode appeared out of the blue, even with the fps drops in crookback bog, but they've completely ruined the game. I'm beginning to believe that I would have preferred straight up dynamic resolution and no hdr then this crap :/

Im glad I wasnt the only one who niticed this! I rarely ever noticed the draw distance after previous updates even the 4k one! Now the game looks absolutely horrible and has tons of pop in and tearing. Also noticed glitches such as drowner floating about the water and also I stopped and talked to the roaming merchant in skellige and it litterally teleported me back to a village that was quite aways away from were i initiated the conversation. The menu crashes seem to be fixed but they have ruined the look and immersion of the game as now it looks like ps2 textures in the distance. Shittiest part is id imagine they are truly done updating this game now. I had recently bought this for my one x and wow what a difference compared to the ps4 pro version the one x looks and runs great, the ps4 version ran and looked good ebough befpre this update

I just received an email from CDPR regarding our concerns.. They are aware of this issue and the developer team is working on it. Let's all hope, because in all honesty the 4K mode has been improved in this latest patch no doubt. It's the horrendous pop-in, stutter (I've experienced visually noticeable stutter performing certain actions but it is rare), and cut-scene related problems (noticed a few texture pop-in and ai related issues, also rare but more frequent than the stutter) that ruin the 4K experience. I don't care for HDR as many haven't caught up with this technology, so if the 3 central problems I've outlined can be rectified then I will totally replay this game and all dlc. Witcher 3 is a fantastic and masterful story-telling experience that no other has been able to emulate, so CDPR please get it together. I don't see how a resolution boost can cause so many problems, especially when the pc release is solid at any resolution.

CDPR, for the love of god just reinstate something more akin to the 1.30 patch for 1080p users and use the extra GPU/CPU power of the Pro to crank up all settings as high as they can go while maintaining 30fps. Then have an entirely separate 4K mode with a dynamic resolution and lower some settings if necessary (except LOD's and draw distance to retain some lvl of parity between 4K and 1080p) to keep that performance solid. That's all we want.

You realize that they did revert it back to 1.30ish 1080p? The Pro patch forced supersampling and that's what lowered performance. Now they have disabled it and 1080p mode is once again stable 30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HLo5S1ttHc

To get halfway decent 4k/hdr performance they no doubt had to drastically tweak farclip/view distance and it pretty much sucks.

I actually have a 4k tv and play everything in 1080p cause I always prefer solid performance. The PS4 pro is honestly too weak to do 4k without sacrifice in most games, except for things like last of us which had so many static scenes and lower poly counts being PS3 ports, that they actually run 4k pretty solidly. But those games also often have a 60fps mode instead and that's generally what I play even then too.

Can't speak to whether this is a widespread problem, but the pop-in is definitely everpresent and not subtle at all here with a PS4 Pro and Sony XBR-X800D since the most recent Witcher 3 patch.

The one x version of 1.61 seems to be perfectly fine in either 4k mode or 1080p. The ps4 pro version seemed fine when they did the 1.51 patch so it seems like the hdr really ate up the cpu on this. The only real bad issue after 1.51 was the menu crash but otherwise seemed to perform well enough. Hope cdpr fixes this for ps users that were planning on playing through the first time or even a second time. As for me i will nust replay on the one x its just superior in every way.

MysticalOS;n10803741 said:
You realize that they did revert it back to 1.30ish 1080p? The Pro patch forced supersampling and that's what lowered performance. Now they have disabled it and 1080p mode is once again stable 30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HLo5S1ttHc

To get halfway decent 4k/hdr performance they no doubt had to drastically tweak farclip/view distance and it pretty much sucks.

I actually have a 4k tv and play everything in 1080p cause I always prefer solid performance. The PS4 pro is honestly too weak to do 4k without sacrifice in most games, except for things like last of us which had so many static scenes and lower poly counts being PS3 ports, that they actually run 4k pretty solidly. But those games also often have a 60fps mode instead and that's generally what I play even then too.

I'm glad that 1080p is still intact, although another member here stated that overall it seems that there is greater pop-in even at that resolution. I've been playing a while now and it isn't distracting at all but it is a downgrade no less. I would have preferred boosted graphics @1080p and a dynamic 4k mode as options for the Pro, considering Xbox already has a console exclusive performance mode. Raising a few settings to high/ultra for 1080p users sounds like a dream to me.

The_Operator_XIII;n10804881 said:
I'm glad that 1080p is still intact, although another member here stated that overall it seems that there is greater pop-in even at that resolution. I've been playing a while now and it isn't distracting at all but it is a downgrade no less. I would have preferred boosted graphics @1080p and a dynamic 4k mode as options for the Pro, considering Xbox already has a console exclusive performance mode. Raising a few settings to high/ultra for 1080p users sounds like a dream to me.

>Raising a few settings to high/ultra for 1080p users sounds like a dream to me.

Most probably the performance of the PS4 Pro can't keep up with that.

mark5916;n10811121 said:
>Raising a few settings to high/ultra for 1080p users sounds like a dream to me.

Most probably the performance of the PS4 Pro can't keep up with that.

CPU related processes can't be pushed much higher since the up-clock is a meager boost from 1.6Ghz to 2.15Ghz. However, the GPU is another story. All GPU related effects can no doubt run at their highest, as the original PS4 boasts a 1.84 teraflop GPU that's based on AMD's Radeon technology. The PS4 Pro, meanwhile, has a GPU with a considerably increased 4.2 teraflops of graphical horsepower. Draw distances, textures and the like could be pushed to ultra @1080p while the boost to CPU clock speeds may serve to smooth out any CPU-intensive areas in the game. The technical argument for an 'enhanced' 1080p mode as similarly seen in Rise of the Tomb Raider is sound, wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:
The_Operator_XIII;n10815131 said:
CPU related processes can't be pushed much higher since the up-clock is a meager boost from 1.6Ghz to 2.15Ghz. However, the GPU is another story. All GPU related effects can no doubt run at their highest, as the original PS4 boasts a 1.84 teraflop GPU that's based on AMD's Radeon technology. The PS4 Pro, meanwhile, has a GPU with a considerably increased 4.2 teraflops of graphical horsepower. Draw distances, textures and the like could be pushed to ultra @1080p while the boost to CPU clock speeds may serve to smooth out any CPU-intensive areas in the game. The technical argument for an 'enhanced' 1080p mode as similarly seen in Rise of the Tomb Raider is sound, wouldn't you agree?

Oops! My Monitor just died. lol

As for your question...

That depends entirely from the resources that the game engine requires from the CPU-GPU compo.

I don't know which parts of the game are processed from the GPU and which ones from the CPU.

Every game has different CPU or GPU demands, and as it seems different areas of the game are stressing the PS4 Pro hardware in different ways.

That means some areas on the game are more CPU demanding and some others not.

Last edited:
I have problem with combat vocal issues, the vocals doesnt play in combats. Sometimes its starts but after it goes fade-out. Anyone has this issues?

GabrieI;n10816411 said:
I have problem with combat vocal issues, the vocals doesnt play in combats. Sometimes its starts but after it goes fade-out. Anyone has this issues?

Does it happen with the new patch?

Have you tried to make a save on that spot, exit the game - start the game and reload that save afterwards?

The new patch for Witcher 3 on PS4 Pro 1080p for me has ruined the game , I did not stop praising CD Projekt Red and Witcher 3 for it's Graphics , it's Beautiful World and now after that patch it has all gone , those silver linings on buildings , stairs and probably every object has ruined the fun and those pop ups are ridiculous ...CD Projekt Red please bring back the 1.50 patch like Gaming , it was so beautiful and now it's worse Should have never updated it and it was not a update but a downgrade . Please fix it , please bring back the 1.50 / 51 performance and just give it up on HDR .

Top Bottom