The Witcher 3: Screenshot & Artwork collection

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JBaptistaG

out of a shadow comes out a naked leg of a women...yet you can still see her curly black hair

Yikes! My initial interpretation was a terrible image!

Agreed. It is a great render, Although at least in my opinion, it would be even better if his pupils were slit,cat-like.
ETA: Actually, now looking at the wall-paper version, it appears that his left eye in fact does have a vertical slit to it.
Just posted on Facebook:

I wonder if those sharp spurs will play any part in game? Possibly in a finishing move/animation perhaps?

Funny you mention that...

Looking good if you ask me. One thing I would really appreciate is an improvement with ground LOD! IDK if it is just me or what, but if there was any graphical nit-picking from me, it would be that the ground detail does not seem to go very far, If that makes sense.

I am well aware of limitations and compromises.I can only imagine how it all comes together. It is a minor criticism but I admit it would be awesome if they were able to "fix" this for Witcher 3. I wonder if using Umbra 3 will allow them to achieve this or at the very least,improve it?

Last edited:
Well ground LOD is a minor detail but when you have such an extreme case of pop-in like in TW2 it can become annoying, i remember i read one guy here in the forums who refused to play the game because of it :p

But regardless of those crazy people, TW2 had good view distances for things on the ground except that particular light green grass, but then the trees kind of vanished a bit too soon as well, I suppose with the open world now allowing players to see far away most of these things are probably fixed.

Well ground LOD is a minor detail but when you have such an extreme case of pop-in like in TW2 it can become annoying, i remember i read one guy here in the forums who refused to play the game because of it :p

But regardless of those crazy people, TW2 had good view distances for things on the ground except that particular light green grass, but then the trees kind of vanished a bit too soon as well, I suppose with the open world now allowing players to see far away most of these things are probably fixed.

Yeah the pop-in can be quite bad. I am hoping that Umbra 3 will improve the streaming in Witcher 3. I imagine that plus it being open-world was the reason behind using that middle-ware.

About the trees,I don't know if you were aware or if you have already tweaked the settings but if you go in to the witcher 2 ini. file you are able to change a few values that should improve that. you may need to add some missing lines though. At least I know I had to add some missing lines.

MeshDistanceScale and FoliageDistanceScale. I believe the ultra preset has it set right around 1.0 - I changed mine to 2.0 IIRC you need to have both values be the same for foliage and mesh scale. I had them as high as 2.6

I increased the TextureMemoryBudget from the ultra max of 600 to 900. it does seem to alleviate some of the pop-in.

Last edited:
Yeah the pop-in can be quite bad. I am hoping that Umbra 3 will improve the streaming in Witcher 3. I imagine that plus it being open-world was the reason behind using that middle-ware.

About the trees,I don't know if you were aware or if you have already tweaked the settings but if you go in to the witcher 2 ini. file you are able to change a few values that should improve that. you may need to add some missing lines though. At least I know I had to add some missing lines.

MeshDistanceScale and FoliageDistanceScale. I believe the ultra preset has it set right around 1.0 - I changed mine to 2.0 IIRC you need to have both values be the same for foliage and mesh scale. I had them as high as 2.6

I increased the TextureMemoryBudget from the ultra max of 600 to 900. it does seem to alleviate some of the pop-in.

Thank you, I already have those quite high but some trees still just disappear even when they are kind of close, they are probably controlled by another script which i dont know how to tweak, or if its hard-coded into the engine.

Having just the medallion on the box cover looks nice. A non-generic cover is always going to be appreciated more, of course ;). That said, there is a fairly high chance I'll just order the game off GOG anyway so I might never even get to see it...

There is a reason why the cover is not simple. If you remember on the forums there was posted a picture where they tested different colors from the cover just too see if it will stand out and attract the customer's attention. It is a marketing trick for the populace.

Hi guys,
I just wanted to say from the xbo360 side of things. In TW2 EE, I did not like how the ground always looked real blurry every 5 feet in front of Geralt.
Also how tree bush / tree limbs would shrink from normal size to small when I would walk past them in some parts of the world. WTF LOL.. I really hope they can fix this kinda stuff before TW3 comes out ;)

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I just wanted to say from the xbo360 side of things. In TW2 EE, I did not like how the ground always looked real blurry every 5 feet in front of Geralt.
Also how tree bush / tree limbs would shrink from normal size to small when I would walk past them in some parts of the world. WTF LOL.. I really hope they can fix this kinda stuff before TW3 comes out ;)
You can't blame the fact that Xbox 360 couldn't handle the game with better quality on CDPR. I'm sure CDPR did the best they could to make it as good looking as possible and as smooth as possible, but after all they can't increase the consoles' computing power.

You can't blame the fact that Xbox 360 couldn't handle the game with better quality on CDPR. I'm sure CDPR did the best they could to make it as good looking as possible and as smooth as possible, but after all they can't increase the consoles' computing power.
Oh I know this all the way. You have to work with what you got, damn straight. I just hope they have the power now to put that kind ov stuff to an end. That's all I'm saying really.

Last edited:
Oh I know this all the way. You have to work with what you got, damn straight. I just hope they have to power now to put that kind ov stuff to an end. That's all I'm saying really.
You know I am a PC/PS3&4 gamer, and I was really hyped about the coming of the new generation. I thought that after the long cycle that 360 and PS3 had, we'd see very powerful consoles that matched the mid to high end PCs at least the year they were released. But lo and behold even the PS4 is not that powerful, and to be honest some games from previous gen such as Last of Us are better looking than majority of the games released on the new consoles. For example I was not impressed by Infamous 2nd Son at all. Some improved textures and and anti-aliasing and particles effect but nothing that impressive. I hope CDPR, Naughty Dog, and other talented and genuine developers change this trend.

The PS4 is at least as powerful as a mid-end PC, you shouldn't judge a consoles potential this early with no good games out yet seeing as it's common for early new-gen games to look not much better than late previous-gen software,of course there is no doubt a custom rig can be made stronger obviously, that's a given considering the nature of the PC, don't hold ALL games to the same graphical standards as the Witcher franchise as there are few games out there that graphically polished, even on monstrous PC's.

The PS4 is at least as powerful as a mid-end PC, you shouldn't judge a consoles potential this early with no good games out yet seeing as it's common for early new-gen games to look not much better than late previous-gen software,of course there is no doubt a custom rig can be made stronger obviously, that's a given considering the nature of the PC, don't hold ALL games to the same graphical standards as the Witcher franchise as there are few games out there that graphically polished, even on monstrous PC's.
Well there's 2 things to consider here...

1. The last gen for example had CELL and PowerPC architecture and while PPC is simpler, CELL was completely new and poorly documented so the devs had to learn more and more about it and games improved based on that, this time they are both on PC architecture(x86) so the 2 things that would govern the 'progress' of visuals are Architecture and API. Now since x86 is very well known and has been used for decades the main thing that drives x86 now is hardware horsepower therefore the only thing that will improve the visuals now is new tricks using the APIs.

2. The hardware is like a low-mid end PC NOW but a gen has to last 7-8 years.

Well there's 2 things to consider here...

1. The last gen for example had CELL and PowerPC architecture and while PPC is simpler, CELL was completely new and poorly documented so the devs had to learn more and more about it and games improved based on that, this time they are both on PC architecture(x86) so the 2 things that would govern the 'progress' of visuals are Architecture and API. Now since x86 is very well known and has been used for decades the main thing that drives x86 now is hardware horsepower therefore the only thing that will improve the visuals now is new tricks using the APIs.

2. The hardware is like a low-mid end PC NOW but a gen has to last 7-8 years.

So 'next' gen is already dated. Pretty fucking sad that devs will be squeezing the most they can out of this shit hardware for the next 9 yrs.

Gens before the ps3/360 only lasted 5-6 years, they over did it with ps3/360, I'll agree that 7-8 is too long,and I think they said they want to push 10 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom